Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Old 07-29-17, 03:05 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Here are some prize suggestions.

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/4-kid-f...cartoons-1960s

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/classic...remium-edition

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/looney-...s-collection_4

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/woody-w...ay-favorites_4

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/paranorman-3d

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/superman-batman-apocalypse

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/walt-di...ed-short-films

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/marvel-...u-need-to-know
Old 07-29-17, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the prize suggestions! Please keep them coming. Don't forget, it'll get you a second entry into the prize drawing.

Just a couple days till this starts, hope everyone is getting ready!
Old 07-30-17, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

I just finished Niko and the Sword of Light (2017), on Amazon Prime. Just couldn't wait till Tuesday. Only 13 episodes long and it tells a complete story, so when you've finished the last episode you've finished the story. The art's good and the characters and comfortably familiar; how many ways are there to tell an epic quest, after all? A worthy investment of time.
Old 07-30-17, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Yesterday, I bought a double feature of Bambi and Bambi II, on Amazon Instant Video. Looking forward to watching them, as I haven't seen Bambi in years. I would say almost 20 years, when one night it was on the Disney Channel.
Old 07-30-17, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't wait till midnight tonight. I have so much I could watch, I don't know what to start with.
Old 07-30-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Yesterday, I bought a double feature of Bambi and Bambi II, on Amazon Instant Video. Looking forward to watching them, as I haven't seen Bambi in years. I would say almost 20 years, when one night it was on the Disney Channel.
Years back, when browsing at Hastings store one day during a B1G1 half off "sale" (in the early days of DVD "bargains" when used at Hastings sold for almost as much as new), I stumbled across a copy of Bambi, right after it'd gone back into "The Vault" again (I hate how they create a false sense of unavailability that way and cause generations of kids to miss seeing classic Disney films at the "right" ages). Because of its return to "The Vault," that I'd never seen it, and that I had a couple of grandkids who'd miss seeing it at a "better" age (based on its status and supposed target age group), I snagged it. I took it home and watched it expecting to find a "lost treasure" but was totally unimpressed with the story. I'd have absolutely hated it as a kid due to its "sticky sweetness" and the somewhat tragic nature of events that transpire. It's received that one playing and, AFAIK, my grandkids have never seen the film. I never suggest it although I know they've seen it on the shelf.
Old 07-30-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm finally gonna get to my Blu-ray of MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO. The last time I saw the film was either a subtitled VHS tape or the English-dubbed DVD that came out in 2004. And it was the old English dub, not the Disney version with the Fanning sisters. I don't think I've ever seen the version with the Fanning sisters. I remember experiencing it somehow, but that could be a false memory or a confusion with another Disney/Ghibli release, since I didn't have that version anywhere until I bought the Blu-ray this year.

Of course, the best showing of this was at the Museum of Modern Art in 1999, the Japanese-language, subtitled version, because it was introduced by Hayao Miyazaki himself! And his appearance was totally unannounced.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 07-30-17 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-30-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got an email that Crunchyroll is streaming non stop anime on twitch until August 1.
Old 07-30-17, 12:28 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

For suggestions for the prize assortment I suggest:

Watchmean: The Full Motion Comic
Red Sonja: Queen of Plagues
Pink Panther Classis Cartoon Collection #4
Have a Laugh! #2

I would also suggest that if someone with a 3-D player wins (I don't have one myself) that they be allowed to substitute any 3-D Animation movie of equal or lesser value for any one or more of the prizes that are picked out. Just something to think about.
Old 07-30-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I would also suggest that if someone with a 3-D player wins (I don't have one myself) that they be allowed to substitute any 3-D Animation movie of equal or lesser value for any one or more of the prizes that are picked out. Just something to think about.
I think Hamilton Books only has 4 3D animation titles available at this time: Wreck-it Ralph, ParaNorman, Walking With Dinosaurs: The 3D Movie, and War of the Worlds: Goliath (which, coincidentally, are my prize suggestions).
Old 07-30-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm going to let people have one more day to suggest animation prizes. Please add any suggestions by July 31st, 10 pm central time. Thank you for all those who have already made suggestions!

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Of course, the best showing of this was at the Museum of Modern Art in 1999, the Japanese-language, subtitled version, because it was introduced by Hayao Miyazaki himself! And his appearance was totally unannounced.
That would have been a great showing! I randomly fell into Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films around 2005ish and fell in love with them. I have seen most of them at this point and even though directors are now different, still make an effort to see their new releases. My Neighbor Tototro isn't my favorite but it is up there. I love Catbus.

Originally Posted by orlmac
Thanks for the prize selections!

I think I'm going to decline the suggestion about letting the winner chose at the time of prize redemption. For one thing, all 4 movies that Dimension X linked to have BR and DVD copies in addition to the 3D so even if the winner doesn't have 3D, they still can enjoy the prize. It can be a balancing act to make sure the prizes all are about the same value and I hesitate to take too much advantage of GoldenWheels. He pulls the prizes from HamiltonBooks, an online shop, so that they don't get sold before the winners are chosen. If someone wanted to exchange for one not previously picked, it could quite easily have already been sold.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Old 07-30-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kicked off my Challenge with an episode of The Powerpuff Girls, on Boomerang. Boomerang is a great channel for this Challenge.
Old 07-31-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Um, question. Can anyone see the list thread? I asked for it to be sticky'd earlier tonight and it seems to have been removed instead. Should I just re-make it? Any chance of it coming back?
Old 07-31-17, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Interesting. If you PM'd a specific mod, I'd message them to check on it. Perhaps it was inadvertently moved to an archived forum or the top secret mod forum and can easily be restored. You could certainly recreate it, but I'd hate to think that anyone who put some work into their post would have to start over.
Old 07-31-17, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Um, question. Can anyone see the list thread? I asked for it to be sticky'd earlier tonight and it seems to have been removed instead. Should I just re-make it? Any chance of it coming back?
I forgot to bookmark my post in that thread, but it's not showing up when I look at my posts. I'd guess that the moderator slipped and moved it to their holding pen instead of "stickying" it, so it's probably still out there. PM Giles and tell him what happened and wait until you hear back before starting a new one.

Cardsfan111 beat me to the answer. Man, I'm a slow typist.
Old 07-31-17, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I forgot to bookmark my post in that thread, but it's not showing up when I look at my posts. I'd guess that the moderator slipped and moved it to their holding pen instead of "stickying" it, so it's probably still out there. PM Giles and tell him what happened and wait until you hear back before starting a new one.

Cardsfan111 beat me to the answer. Man, I'm a slow typist.
I appreciate any input! I did PM Giles and hopefully he can find it! If you're looking for the link, click here . Once it's back, I'll add it to the first post. Otherwise, on the chance it's lost for good, I'll restart it. Just hoping that people don't have to start from scratch!
Old 07-31-17, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Interesting. If you PM'd a specific mod, I'd message them to check on it. Perhaps it was inadvertently moved to an archived forum or the top secret mod forum and can easily be restored. You could certainly recreate it, but I'd hate to think that anyone who put some work into their post would have to start over.
I actually built out my list post in advance for the first time in months!
Old 07-31-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

...aaand it's back.
Old 07-31-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

There's a new season of The Adventures of Puss in Boots available on Netflix.
Old 07-31-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never got around to watching Kong: Skull Island this month. Is there enough CGI to count for the Animation Challenge?
Old 07-31-17, 10:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I never got around to watching Kong: Skull Island this month. Is there enough CGI to count for the Animation Challenge?
Unless that giant ape was real, I think you're safe.
Old 07-31-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As wishbone said, the list thread is back! Thanks to Giles for fixing it, believe there was a bit of accidental button pushing while getting the thread sticky'd. Should all be there.

Originally Posted by davidh777
I actually built out my list post in advance for the first time in months!
Glad it's back so you didn't have to redo!

Originally Posted by wishbone
...aaand it's back.
Yup!

Originally Posted by Trevor
Unless that giant ape was real, I think you're safe.
I agree. I believe my usual thought process is at least 50% animation and it counts. So if you think the movie is at least 50% animated CGI wise, it would count. I haven't watched it myself, though, so on the slim chance it wouldn't qualify after watching it, you could always use a wild card as you went into it thinking it would qualify.
Old 08-01-17, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I closed out the Sci-Fi Challenge and started the Animation Challenge with the first four eps. of an anime series I'd never seen before in its original form, "Genesis Climber Mospeada." This 1983 series was famously the third of three incorporated into "Robotech" back in 1985, following "Macross" and "Southern Cross." The series is available on Amazon Prime in Japanese with English subtitles, which is how I saw it. It's set on an Earth ravaged by alien invasion and under alien occupation and follows a band of soldiers, ex-soldiers, and assorted hangers-on as they make their way to some central rendezvous point for the resistance. The aliens, at least in the early episodes, all look like robotic fighting machines. The series is full of mecha--the soldiers' motorcycles convert into mobile armored combat suits--and the background designs showing ruined futuristic cities are quite impressive. The only problem is Amazon Prime's decision to use Closed-Captioning-type subtitles which take up way too much space and run a few seconds out of sync, so that each character's lines appear over the next character speaking, which can be jarring at times. Don't know why the distributor, ADV, didn't just submit a normal subtitled edition to Amazon.

Old 08-01-17, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I closed out the Sci-Fi Challenge and started the Animation Challenge with the first four eps. of an anime series I'd never seen before in its original form, "Genesis Climber Mospeada." This 1983 series was famously the third of three incorporated into "Robotech" back in 1985, following "Macross" and "Southern Cross." The series is available on Amazon Prime in Japanese with English subtitles, which is how I saw it. It's set on an Earth ravaged by alien invasion and under alien occupation and follows a band of soldiers, ex-soldiers, and assorted hangers-on as they make their way to some central rendezvous point for the resistance. The aliens, at least in the early episodes, all look like robotic fighting machines. The series is full of mecha--the soldiers' motorcycles convert into mobile armored combat suits--and the background designs showing ruined futuristic cities are quite impressive. The only problem is Amazon Prime's decision to use Closed-Captioning-type subtitles which take up way too much space and run a few seconds out of sync, so that each character's lines appear over the next character speaking, which can be jarring at times. Don't know why the distributor, ADV, didn't just submit a normal subtitled edition to Amazon.

I'm currently working my way through Super Dimension Fortress Macross, also on Amazon Prime. The other day, I finished the episode where Hikaru was promoted and given two subordinates.
Old 08-02-17, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe Mothra is a puppet, so that would make my Rebirth Of Mothra trilogy eligible, right?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.