Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

I just finished my first double credit viewing. I saw the original Robocop was on IFC, so decided to give it a rewatch.
Old 07-31-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Last day of the challenge! Seems like this month flew by. Hope everyone had a good challenge. I'll probably pick the winners tomorrow. I use a random number generator. I also won't forget to add in the extra entries for those who submitted suggestions for prizes at the beginning of the challenge.

Just a reminder that the one request our sponsor has is that prize winners live in the United States or have a States address.

Once drawn, I will both announce winners here and contact them through the messaging system. Please list your preference in order. I will give priority by order in which I receive your acceptance. I usually give about 3 days in which to accept before drawing a replacement winner.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just finished my first double credit viewing. I saw the original Robocop was on IFC, so decided to give it a rewatch.
You may have wanted to wait with that one, as it is one of the few Criterion eligible films that crosses over with animation...
Old 07-31-17, 05:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
You may have wanted to wait with that one, as it is one of the few Criterion eligible films that crosses over with animation...
Shado, watch it again, with commentary, on the 31st. Two viewings, counts as four over 3 Challenges!
Old 07-31-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Shado, watch it again, with commentary, on the 31st. Two viewings, counts as four over 3 Challenges!
Good idea
Old 07-31-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just popped in my last film I'm watching for the challenge, Logan, Noir version with the James Mangold commentary. It also completes the checklist for me. Yay! I completed all of the first revised checklist with only one or two repeats. Not too shabby. Next up for me is a friend's scavenger hunt over on Letterboxd for August. PM if interested since I won't link it here. It's been fun!
Old 07-31-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very good idea!

Originally Posted by popcorn
Just popped in my last film I'm watching for the challenge, Logan, Noir version with the James Mangold commentary. It also completes the checklist for me. Yay! I completed all of the first revised checklist with only one or two repeats. Not too shabby. Next up for me is a friend's scavenger hunt over on Letterboxd for August. PM if interested since I won't link it here. It's been fun!
Glad you did so well! The checklist is pretty difficult this year, a lot of categories to mark off. Good luck with your scavenger hunt!

Turned on my last watch for the challenge myself a bit ago, an animated movie called "Escape from Planet Earth." Saw it in the Vudu menu and thought I'd give it a shot. So far it's cute, we'll see if it lasts!
Old 07-31-17, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Ah, gotcha.

If it's Harryhausen, he counts for the Animation Challenge.

Quoting from the rules: "This is the challenge where any and all types of animation is welcome, computer, hand drawn, puppetry, stop motion, etc. The entire movie/show does not need to be completely animated. Something like Roger Rabbit or a Ray Harryhausen film would generally be allowed."

Hope that helps!
No problem, I host that one too so the rules are pretty clear in my head right now.

Crossover time!
Originally Posted by pacaway
That's right! I hadn't thought of that! Imagine if the set showed up on July 31! That would be so great! Fingers crossed...
Guess what arrived tonight? #2375 of 6000!

Popped 7th Voyage in immediately and it looks amazing! Wish I had time to watch all three... Well, if not for crossover, I can do so for August anyway.
Old 08-01-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pacaway
Guess what arrived tonight? #2375 of 6000!

Popped 7th Voyage in immediately and it looks amazing! Wish I had time to watch all three... Well, if not for crossover, I can do so for August anyway.
Glad it showed up in time! Have fun watching.
Old 08-01-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks to everyone who participated in the challenge! Just got done looking over lists and was pretty impressed with all that was watched this year!

Thank you again to GoldenWheels and HamiltonBooks for so nicely being our prize sponsor, not just for this challenge but for most of them! He also added on a copy of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition for each of the prize packages on top of the prizes normal allocated to the challenge!

As a recap, there are three prize packages to chose from:

Prize pack one: Sword and Sorcery Collection: Roger Corman's Cult Classics, Neverland and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition

Prize pack two: The Ray Harryhausen Collectible Gift Set and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition

Prize pack three: Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy, Tim Burton Film Favorites BR and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition

Before I get to the prize winners, just to recap, as the one condition of the sponsor, prize winners do have to have an address in the United States for shipping.

Please respond back to me, either here on the discussion thread or in a private message claiming your prizes within 3 days. If I have not heard back from the prize winners by Friday, August 4th by 10 PM Central time, I will go to the next person on the list. Please give me the order in which you'd like the prizes, first come first served. Finally, I will need an address to send to GoldenWheels so he knows where to send the prizes. You don't have to send me your address, but can directly send it to him, if you would like. Either way works!

And now for the winners!

Congratulations to:
Trevor
HyperWeather and
KaBluie!
Old 08-01-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was unable to send Trevor a private message. If you see this, Trevor, please contact me about the prizes! Or, if someone is able to contact him in a different way, please let him know he won. Thank you!
Old 08-01-17, 10:15 PM

Thanks for hosting and to Goldenwheels for donating prizes!

I didn't do nearly as well as I had hoped, the month got away from me, but was at least able to finish my Orphan Black rewatch with enough time to get the last 2 seasons watched before the finale.
Old 08-01-17, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks LJG765 & Goldenwheels!
Old 08-01-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Congrats to the winners, and thanks to Hamilton/GW for the prizes (nice to toss in the extras besides)!

Thanks for running the challenge, LJG! My last viewing was the first three episodes of HBO's Westworld, which I'll have to continue watching without "credit." Definitely an intriguing show.
Old 08-01-17, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Congrats again to HyperWeather who chose prize pack 3: Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy, Tim Burton Film Favorites BR and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition.

And congrats to KaBluie who also got his first pick, prize pack 2: Prize pack two: The Ray Harryhausen Collectible Gift Set and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition.

Trevor, prize pack 3 is still up for grabs! Please accept it by Friday night, thanks!
Old 08-02-17, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congratulations to the winners. And thank you Goldenwheels for your generosity, and to LJG for running a great Challenge. I had a lot of fun.
Old 08-02-17, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Thank you LJG765 for hosting the challenge. I had fun even if I didn't post that often. Thansk to Goldenwheels for providing the prizes.
Old 08-02-17, 07:21 AM

I was unable to send Trevor a private message. If you see this, Trevor, please contact me about the prizes! Or, if someone is able to contact him in a different way, please let him know he won. Thank you!
Wow, I've been lucky in Challenge wins lately. I'm done with PMs, you and Goldenwheels should have my address from last time, but I'll email you. But actually, I may have most of those three items, let me check. If I have 2 of the 3, I'll give up my prize and let you randomize another winner. I'll let you know soon.

Thanks to LJG for a great time, Rich for our fabulous prizes, and all of you for the fun thread and interesting lists! After a few months of being fairly mellow in Challenges, I really got back into it this last month and watched something pretty much every day.
Old 08-02-17, 08:19 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I had a great month watching movies and as always LJG did a great job on running the challenge! The prize packs from Golden Wheels was stellar and I congratulate the winners!
Old 08-02-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Super fun month! I'm thinking I need to dig out my SF animation stuff for August...

Thanks LJG and Goldenwheels and congrats to the winners! That's a nice add-on to the prize packages! I know I enjoyed watching that version (but in all fairness I've never seen the theatrical - I own it but just have never watched it).
Old 08-02-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congrats to the winners. Always a fun challenge!
Old 08-02-17, 12:36 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks LJG765 for running a fun challenge and to Goldenwheels for always being so generous.
Old 08-02-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I've been lucky in Challenge wins lately. I'm done with PMs, you and Goldenwheels should have my address from last time, but I'll email you. But actually, I may have most of those three items, let me check. If I have 2 of the 3, I'll give up my prize and let you randomize another winner. I'll let you know soon.

Thanks to LJG for a great time, Rich for our fabulous prizes, and all of you for the fun thread and interesting lists! After a few months of being fairly mellow in Challenges, I really got back into it this last month and watched something pretty much every day.
No problem, just wanted to make sure that you got the message. I know I've run into people in the past who stop looking at the discussion thread as soon as their done with the challenge and missed out.

Let me know when you can and I'll go through and see if I still have your address if it's needed. I tend to delete messages periodically to save space.

Congrats again! Glad everyone enjoyed the challenge!
Old 08-02-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Super fun month! I'm thinking I need to dig out my SF animation stuff for August...
So far, everything I've watched for the Animation Challenge is also Sci-Fi.
Old 08-02-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Congrats to the winners.
Old 08-02-17, 07:37 PM

Yep, I pretty much have all the items in my prize pack, so would love to put it back into the pool for hopefully a first-time winner to enjoy instead. Thanks again!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.