Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 11th Annual Academy Award Challenge (January 24, 2017 - February 26, 2017)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 11th Annual Academy Award Challenge (January 24, 2017 - February 26, 2017)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual Academy Award Challenge (January 24, 2017 - February 26, 2017)

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
I'm with Trevor, I really enjoyed the show last night. Kimmel wasn't Steve Martin or Jon Stewart, who are my favorite hosts, but I thought he did a very good job. And that twist ending...

Big thanks to lisadoris for running a fun challenge this year.
Yeah, I don't really get all the hate for the recent hosts. Some are better than others, but I don't think any of them really "bombed" at all.

Thanks lisadoris!!
Old 02-28-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 11th Annual Academy Award Challenge (January 24, 2017 - February 26, 2017)

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Yeah, I don't really get all the hate for the recent hosts. Some are better than others, but I don't think any of them really "bombed" at all.

Thanks lisadoris!!
For me, it is just that I'm not a big fan of Jimmy Kimmel.
Old 03-01-17, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't think Kimmel bombed, but he certainly didn't give a great performance either. I just got bored. The jokes weren't great, thought the whole tourist thing was pretty lame, though that first couple was pretty funny, and the candy from the ceiling bit had been done twice before now. (pizza with Ellen and Girl Scout Cookies last year).

Oh well, I'll probably still watch next year, but man, I'm not sure why perfectly good hosts lately have been giving sub par performances. I had high hopes for a couple years ago with Neil Patrick Harris as I've enjoyed him hosting in other things but he didn't do great either. That magic bit that carried through just was lack luster.

Is it the directors/writers/whoever is in charge making the host tone down too much so instead of creative freedom, they're forced to work with a script they don't like?

Anyway, just wanted to thank lisadoris for hosting!