Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

15 % Off Single Item Printable
HARVEST15 -- Online or B7Y8L7W -- Store
valid at BN.com from October 20, 2016 at 12:01am to October 24, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time, and at Barnes & Noble stores from October 20, 2016 to October 23, 2016 at close of business.

There is a 20% Member Only Single item Unique ID code as well.
valid at BN.com from October 20, 2016 at 12:01am to October 24, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time, and at Barnes & Noble stores from October 20, 2016 to October 23, 2016 at close of business. Check your member emails

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

reported by Dubious at Bluray.com
BNRMN15 takes 15% off your entire order. No minimum purchase.
It will work on preorders as well IF you have any eligible item in the cart with it.
??Exp either 10/22 (maybe 10/23) 2:59am ET

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

UPCOMING
$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNSAVE10 ??10/25-10/31

15% off $50 of More Purchase
BNMAPLE15 Possible 10/22 -10/27

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016

"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES December 12, 2016 2:59am ET
C7A8A4K $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 12/12/2016
L9L8J3P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 12/12/2016
K7M8P3L $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 12/12/2016
H9W4M7E $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 12/12/2016
P8K8J7K $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 12/12/2016

"New Member" Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business December 11, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 12/11/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 12/11/2016
In store $5 off $50 Total Transaction Exp 12/11/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 12/11/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Thanks so much for running a great challenge, Chad! It's always a treat and has been a bit of a godsend in this tumultuous election season! Also, congratulations to all of the winners!

I ended with a double feature of new watches: The Masque of the Red Death and Day of the Dead. Both are absolutely fantastic! I'm so glad that I accidentally bought the latter (which I thought was Dawn of the Dead), because it's a good addition to my collection and will definitely become a film I visit for many Octobers to come.
Old 11-01-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Hit 100 tonight with the frequently suggested Ghostwatch. Also hit checklist requirements and theme days. Fell a little behind on my lest but should be caught up in a few days. Thanks to Chad for the challenge, it's my favorite annual activity.

Only 333 days until the next challenge!
Old 11-01-16, 12:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Ok, I know that I previously mentioned hating the rifftrax for Jaws, my favorite film of all time, probably because my love for it made it difficult to make fun of it. But Flaws, a low budget parody/homage to Jaws set in a backyard pool, is hilarious and brilliant.
Old 11-01-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Found a post from 2007 where I said watching over 100 was unhealthy and I'd never do it again. Yet here I am approaching 300. But seriously, I'm done with these 18-24 hours of viewing a day Octobers. I'm staying mostly safe on the roads, am enjoying each film, and Jen hasn't threatened to leave me; but my over-caffeinated body feels like crap and I feel bad ignoring my friends and family. I just sort of zoned in, then eventually decided that trying for a threepeat would be cool. After this, it's OHMC semi-retirement for me.
So I am going to echo this because Friday night, I was supposed to go out on a party bus with an old coworker and a friend and others and get drinks around Downtown Fullerton. Thursday night I stayed up way too late watching movies and I just wanted to go home and relax while watching a few more movies. Sadly, this ended up being the last chance to ever have hang out with the former coworker as when he got home from drinking, he fell down his two story stairs and broke his neck and his mother ended up pulling the plug. So I really am regretting not going out that night to have had one last good time with him as I haven't seen him in quite some time either. So, in the scoop of things, sometimes it is better to not power through a bunch of films and just live. I ended up hanging out with a friend most of the weekend and catching Pokemon and getting a lot of exercise instead of staying home and hitting 100. I ended up not seeing all the movies I wanted, which I do have to make a mental note for next year to start the ones I want to watch and the classics early, this way I can get them in and not worry about hitting a specific number and not passing up opportunities with people. Didn't mean to be a downer, but wanted to echo your thought about feeling bad ignoring friends and family.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
The Ones Below is a real disappointment, it seemed to lack atmosphere
Spoiler:
and be too predictable, like there are never really any doubt of the outcome.
I actually really enjoyed this film. Might be because I like The Governor's acting, though.
Old 11-01-16, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Sunday night I wound up just watching whatever was on TV at the time while carving a pumpkin(which turned out pretty cool, pictures later).

First up was The Haunting In Connecticut which was a first time viewing. I had watched the Discovery documentary/re-enactment last year. So it was interesting to see this very loosely based on the true story version. It had a few good moments, and some really bad flash cut editing at many points which was annoying.

Then it was onto a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode of The Killer Shrews. It's probably the funniest MST3K episode I've seen, since I laughed out loud many times throughout. The gang has plenty to riff on from the in-comprehensible dialogue, and bad script writing galore in regards to the 'plot' and character motivations, to the hilarious special effects of the shrews themselves.

And for Halloween. I debated between watching some first time view like the grim Broken(2006) among other selections. But I decided to end on a light note since I didn't want to spoil the mood with something depressing and could only get one movie in tonight before bed.

That movie was the Uwe Boll trashterpiece House of the Dead. Which I've been meaning to watch it for years during the challenge since I hadn't seen it since it first came out on DVD/cable. It's a terrible movie, but has some really funny moments that are not intentional. And there is a big action set piece that's the best sequence of the movie, which is a over the top cliche ridden sequence filled with slow motion-3D-360 camera pans-some cool gory head shots,explosions, bullet time effects/camera work, video game inserts, and a blaring hip hop soundtrack/techno score to pump it up and try to grab all markets possible in appeal. The scene goes on and on, and even has a hyper speed replay of the entire sequence up until that point, then it goes on and on..., and is hilarious.

So the total for the month was 12, since life got in the way. But it was still fun, and I had been watching horror movies regularly all year(I know, I know, I should save up for the challenge). So I wasn't starving for more horror if I had fasted on viewing them for most of the year.
Old 11-01-16, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I ended my Challenge with 125.75, with my final viewing being both a double credit viewing, and my one and only wild card, since I didn't know how to count a single short. I watched the hilarious Three Stooges short, 'Spook Louder'.
Old 11-01-16, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
So I am going to echo this because Friday night, I was supposed to go out on a party bus with an old coworker and a friend and others and get drinks around Downtown Fullerton. Thursday night I stayed up way too late watching movies and I just wanted to go home and relax while watching a few more movies. Sadly, this ended up being the last chance to ever have hang out with the former coworker as when he got home from drinking, he fell down his two story stairs and broke his neck and his mother ended up pulling the plug. So I really am regretting not going out that night to have had one last good time with him as I haven't seen him in quite some time either. So, in the scoop of things, sometimes it is better to not power through a bunch of films and just live. I ended up hanging out with a friend most of the weekend and catching Pokemon and getting a lot of exercise instead of staying home and hitting 100. I ended up not seeing all the movies I wanted, which I do have to make a mental note for next year to start the ones I want to watch and the classics early, this way I can get them in and not worry about hitting a specific number and not passing up opportunities with people. Didn't mean to be a downer, but wanted to echo your thought about feeling bad ignoring friends and family.
I agree with all of the above and it echoes the way I felt this year. Though I don't usually get even near the numbers some of you do, getting over 100 usually takes a lot of time for me and takes time away from other things. This year, I watched stuff as long as it didn't take away any special time from family, friends, or something I felt I shouldn't miss out on.

So I didn't hit 100 but I felt I did rather well for the time I put into it. I even took a week off at the end of October and still didn;t watch many more movies than I had the previous weeks since I spent some of that time mountain biking, hanging out of friends, etc.

Thanks for running the Challenge once again Chad. Still enjoyable as always.
Old 11-01-16, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I agree with all of the above and it echoes the way I felt this year. Though I don't usually get even near the numbers some of you do, getting over 100 usually takes a lot of time for me and takes time away from other things. This year, I watched stuff as long as it didn't take away any special time from family, friends, or something I felt I shouldn't miss out on.
Ditto. Watching movies is a fun hobby, but it doesn't build memories like going out to wineries with family or celebrating birthdays. Family and friends count more than movies, most days anyway.

Thanks for running the Challenge once again Chad. Still enjoyable as always.
Indeed. I enjoyed the month and talking about horror films with you fine folks. I finished all the theme nights, although I wasn't able to get in all the subset movies or the checklist.

Last edited by Gobear; 11-01-16 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-01-16, 08:48 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i finished up with 153 ending it with halloween and halloween II. I also posted my checklist today. It helps to be type a and record everything as you go along.

its been a great month and I want to thank everyone, especially chad, for a fun time.

now we have next year to look forward to!
Old 11-01-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for great challenge Chad!

I didn't get to the 70-80 I wanted, just into the 50s.

My list is finished.

I did get to see some 'great' horror flicks in the theater this year. The Tingler! Maniac. And last night the killer kid flick The Pit.
Old 11-01-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Then it was onto a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode of The Killer Shrews. It's probably the funniest MST3K episode I've seen, since I laughed out loud many times throughout. The gang has plenty to riff on from the in-comprehensible dialogue, and bad script writing galore in regards to the 'plot' and character motivations, to the hilarious special effects of the shrews themselves.

That movie was the Uwe Boll trashterpiece House of the Dead. Which I've been meaning to watch it for years during the challenge since I hadn't seen it since it first came out on DVD/cable. It's a terrible movie, but has some really funny moments that are not intentional. And there is a big action set piece that's the best sequence of the movie, which is a over the top cliche ridden sequence filled with slow motion-3D-360 camera pans-some cool gory head shots,explosions, bullet time effects/camera work, video game inserts, and a blaring hip hop soundtrack/techno score to pump it up and try to grab all markets possible in appeal. The scene goes on and on, and even has a hyper speed replay of the entire sequence up until that point, then it goes on and on..., and is hilarious.
The Killer Shrews got some coverage on the Red White & Blue horror documentary I saw earlier in the month. I added it to my list, but there just wasn't enough time to get to it this month. The Shrews looked pretty terrible and I figured it would be right up my alley.

I've added Uwe Boll's flick to my list, but I'm pretty sure just from the description that I will definitely hate it. I think you've also described Alone in the Dark.
Old 11-01-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I would like to thank Chad for organizing such a great month of mayhem. It was a real challenge for me, but I was able to watch exactly 100 movies, with the great majority being first time views. I have a pretty hectic life, so taking a month 'off' to watch 100 movies adds another facet. As of this moment, I agree with Trevor that trying to watch this many movies in a month probably isn't good for sanity.

This month, I've had vivid dreams about sharks, gargoyles, several creepy kids and one really pissed off cat. A fortuitous late night, introduced me to A Page of Madness which I never knew existed. I've thought WAY too much about Goodnight Mommy and really just need a break.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions (current and past), which comprised ~ 1/3 of my list. Keep them coming.

Originally Posted by Gobear
Ditto. Watching movies is a fun hobby, but it doesn't build memories like going out to wineries with family or celebrating birthdays. Family and friends count more than movies, most days anyway.

Indeed. I enjoyed the month and talking about horror films with you fine folks. I finished all the theme nights, although I wasn't able to get in all the subset movies or the checklist.
I actually built memories with my wife who had a good time watching some of the offerings.

In about a month I'll be ready for next year!
Old 11-01-16, 12:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I managed to hit 102 last night. For some reason I really wanted to hit 100 while I was still working just to see if I could do it again. What suffered though was being able to keep up with the discussions - I was constantly several pages behind. By next year I hope to be retired which should make things much easier.

I had a nice mix of first time views and favorites, many of which were on shiny new Blu-Ray discs. Now to work on my list and also come up with some highlights and duds (not too many of those this year thank goodness).

Thanks to Chad who always does an amazing job and to everyone who participated.
Old 11-01-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Another fun year! With only a few streaming exceptions (due to being out of town) I watched exclusively from my "unopened" piles and it shows! For once I watched *far* more than I purchased during the month and none of the purchases were impulse! Of course it helped that the movies everyone talked about were those I already owned or of a sub-genre of which I just don't like

Thanks Chad!

And thanks to all the sponsors!
Old 11-01-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope nobody minds me posting this here but it is on topic with horror and weird film and will reach the biggest audience in this thread...

Cult Epics has launched an Indiegogo campaign for help secure it's future bringing us the weirdest films the world has to offer. From t-shirts to a 5 year subscription of releases, there's something for everyone and every budget here. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...ook/x/647549#/
Old 11-01-16, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

That was a trip. Hit 130 and bested last year's total by a couple. My to watch pile was actually watched this year, although definitely regret not getting through the new Universal Monster and Hammer sets. This is also the first time in recent memory I watched a minimum of four a day every day. And (to my delight) this challenge had the most physical media used since the early years, with 90 of those being Blu-rays. That means November will be consumed with watching a *shit-ton* of supplemental material!

I played it safe for the most part and didn't take too many risks with questionable titles. That, and the physical media boost, well, it probably helped keep my sanity in check and made for a more enjoyable experience. I'm beyond indecisive when it comes to streaming.

Thanks as always to everyone for keeping this horror express a-rollin'!

So I didn't hit 100 but I felt I did rather well for the time I put into it. I even took a week off at the end of October and still didn;t watch many more movies than I had the previous weeks since I spent some of that time mountain biking, hanging out of friends, etc.
Lack of exercise is my biggest regret. On average I usually get in two 6 mile runs per week, and that didn't happen this month. Not even one. At least this unholy 85 degree November weather will help make up for that.
Old 11-01-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Family health problems kept our family home this October, as we didn't want my mom getting sick before her procedure, so there were no big Halloween activities for us. We were going to go on a haunted hay ride Sunday night, but it was pouring rain, and that was the last night it was going on. Family comes first though in my book.
Old 11-01-16, 07:55 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Hit a new personal best of 75, which is probably the ceiling for me. Thanks for a great challenge (as always) Chad.
Old 11-01-16, 08:17 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Does anyone have any information on these three MST3K releases? I saw them all at Walmart tonight, but I can't find them online anywhere else. Are they Walmart exclusives?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mystery-S...ndead/54527160

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gaiam-Inc...td-Ws/54527159

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mystery-S...Skull/54527158
Old 11-01-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Does anyone have any information on these three MST3K releases? I saw them all at Walmart tonight, but I can't find them online anywhere else. Are they Walmart exclusives?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mystery-S...ndead/54527160

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gaiam-Inc...td-Ws/54527159

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mystery-S...Skull/54527158
They've all been released in previous volume collections. That's the best I can tell ya.
Old 11-01-16, 10:44 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
They've all been released in previous volume collections. That's the best I can tell ya.
That's more than I knew--thanks, Seth!
Old 11-01-16, 10:47 PM

Here are a couple pictures of the pumpkin I carved(the one on the left), and I had some fun with fake blood and a severed arm.

Spoiler:

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I've added Uwe Boll's flick to my list, but I'm pretty sure just from the description that I will definitely hate it. I think you've also described Alone in the Dark.
I should point out I watched the theatrical cut of the movie. Uwe did make a 'funny version'(so called 'directors cut') that was released years later which I haven't seen yet. But it sounds a lot like the unrated version of Sex Drive, which is a joke version mocking studio mandated unrated versions. It might be amusing, but it might be annoying as hell since the director is purposefully trying to make it 'funny' with his re-edit.

I've only seen a brief bit of the first 30 minutes of Alone in the Dark, and it was mildly amusing from what I saw. But it did seem boring as well, so I didn't watch the entire thing. But that's how Boll's movies are: boring, with random unintentional funny moments from cheap sets/effects, by the numbers 'stylish' camera shots trying to be like Micheal Bay or something and no attempt at acting besides cliche ridden stereotypes.

Bolls interviews/commentaries can be hilarious as well since he's so clueless and passive aggressive. I'll have to check out Alone in the Dark eventually. The theatrical cut commentary sounds hilarious since I read he explodes with fury at Tara Reid for refusing to do nudity for the sex scene, and I guess that scene was removed from his directors cut released years later.

But other than House of the Dead. I haven't been able to push myself to suffer through anymore of his movies and only caught bits of them on TV. But his interviews have been a hoot over the years.
Old 11-01-16, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll echo the thanks and Halloween wishes to everyone. These discussion threads are what binging and challenges are all about in my opinion. Without them, I would go months without turning the television on at all, let alone multiple movies a day.

And speaking of you, View, my viewing patterns this month have moved me into your 2007 record territory. I didn't realize I was going to even break 300 until today. Now I sort of wish I had realized how close I'd get, I would have watched more of more shorter films and beaten your 333. I might be close after I total my TV viewings, but think I'll end up at least a few short.
Ack! I'd never reach that these days. I was working some days only hour shifts a day living in Japan teaching, unable to speak the language, no friends or social life. I barricaded myself in my tiny Japanese apartment with only my laptop and binge watched and ate bad pizza from the spot down the road. Ahhh, those were the days.

But, like any record, it's gotta' go some day.
Old 11-01-16, 11:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks so much to Chad for organizing this incredible event! Also, thanks to everyone for continuing to participate! I look forward to this time of year so much, and it's always been great to share it with you guys.

Unfortunately, life got in the way of me being able to watch too much, but I enjoyed what I saw. I definitely also took suggestions for what to watch next year from the thread.

Now, to finish my list!
Old 11-02-16, 07:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

completed my list.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.