Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

My house has been freezing the past couple days. A cold snap on the weather here, and Sunday, our furnace went out. I've been wearing a jacket and huddling under blankets while I watch my challenge viewing. Luckily the repairman called back today, and he said he planned to be out sometime today.
Old 10-11-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Almost caught up on the thread. Congrats to the two winners: Undeadcow and cwileyy!

That bonus question sure was a challenge.

From the poster, what was the movie with the dude in the 'court jester's' shirt? He is dead center of the upper end of poster. He was begin attacked by the Phantasm sphere.
Old 10-11-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Almost caught up on the thread. Congrats to the two winners: Undeadcow and cwileyy!

That bonus question sure was a challenge.

From the poster, what was the movie with the dude in the 'court jester's' shirt? He is dead center of the upper end of poster. He was begin attacked by the Phantasm sphere.
That's an ozploitation movie called Harlequin (Dark Forces) (1980)
Old 10-11-16, 09:41 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
That's an ozploitation movie called Harlequin (Dark Forces) (1980)
And you can stream it at Shudder:

https://www.shudder.com/watch/harleq...rces/2445661/1
Old 10-11-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was entertained by last night's subset pick, Deathgasm, but for the love-of-all-that's-Holy, can we PLEASE stop splashing blood on the camera! It's such a tired effect now. And it's gotten to the point that instead of being a neat gimmick (actually I never really liked it to begin with) it now pulls me out of the film and shows me a big sign reading: "You're watching a movie"

And also my belated congrats to the winners!
Old 10-11-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
I watched that the other day too. I think my mind was most blown at one point towards the end of the movie when I realized the reason the main guy sounded familiar was because he was Frosty the Snowman's voice. I enjoyed Microwave Massacre a good bit though.
A local independent theater is showing this at midnight on Oct 29th. Can't wait.
Old 10-11-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last night I viewed Ozone(1993) on Youtube. It's from J.R. Bookwater, the director of The Dead Next Door. It's a movie I've been meaning to see for years since reading about it in Fangoria back in the day. It's not great, but is well made in terms of camera work and editing/pacing so it doesn't drag. For the budget, it's definitely well done since it was made for under $5,000 according to imdb.com. It has some gross out moments, and some really bad video effects, but that's to be expected from this shot on video production.

Now if only I could locate copies of Leif Jonker's Darkness and Scooter Mcraes Shatter Dead, which were also plastered all over Fangoria back then. I've heard Shatter Dead is supposed to be terrible. But the premise is interesting, and sounds like it has potential for a remake.
Old 10-11-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man! The new Olive blu for The Return of Dracula is on sale at BestBuy. Someone mentioned it earlier and I really liked it. Ordered the blu as well.

That spider scene in Spookies was pretty good, but the story was just so so for me.
Old 10-11-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pacaway
A local independent theater is showing this at midnight on Oct 29th. Can't wait.
We've got a few film series in town, and one usually really comes through for Halloween. This year they are showing Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!....
Old 10-11-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Pride And Prejudice And Zombies (2016) - Better than I expected (I went in with REALLY low expectations) but still feel comfortable telling anyone considering watching it to skip it. If you want to watch a decent mash-up of history and horror, rent Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter instead. P&P&Z starts with a wink in its eye and has some fun, especially once one of the Dr. Whos shows up. But it soon begins to take itself seriously and that is when the story falls apart and the viewer loses interest. If tongue had been kept in cheek the entire movie, it might have succeeded.
Old 10-11-16, 12:44 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
...for the love-of-all-that's-Holy, can we PLEASE stop splashing blood on the camera! It's such a tired effect now. And it's gotten to the point that instead of being a neat gimmick (actually I never really liked it to begin with) it now pulls me out of the film and shows me a big sign reading: "You're watching a movie"...
One of my 'pet peeves' is the ridiculous over the top drug use - in Exeter, for example, they have a table of drugs and list 6-7 types they're doing. I can understand casual drinking but some of the 'we're all so stoned it's ridiculous' stuff is sometimes harder to believe than the supernatural elements. In the Friday the 13th movie when they stop everything to celebrate finding a marijuana crop on the forest... exaggerated drug use as a plot device is such a lazy shameless 'development' that it makes me cringe every time. I wish marijuana, alcohol, etc weren't such a staple of the genre because while there's debate-ably nothing wrong with it's use in real life the drug emphasis doesn't add anything to the plot in most cases. It would be comical if the characters stopped for a coffee break mid-movie...

Exeter is actually a mediocre enough film (actually better than I expected) with dizzying strange twists and plays more like a slasher whodunit than a possession movie but wow do they expect you to tolerate this odd drug stuff for the first half.
Old 10-11-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Caught The Woman Who Came Back from 1945 last night. Very atmospheric and felt like a Val Lewton film, which I'm guessing was an influence. Reminded me of City of the Dead with Christopher Lee. Surprised it doesn't get more recognition.

It's streaming on Prime and just over an hour.

Blood Rage was a hoot. Loved the synth score. I've also got Hidden in the to watch pile from the Duffer Brothers, so .

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I'm confused by today's theme. Is it abandoned places and caves? Or is the "history" of the cave what makes it abandoned? (Today's subset pick: The Descent)
The latter. And in The Descent...
Spoiler:
there's also the moment when Sarah wakes up in what appears to be an abandoned hospital after her accident.
Old 10-11-16, 04:13 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

For those of you that like Axe (1974) id recommend Warlock Moon. A 70s slasher film made at same time as TCM and it has alot of similarities to TCM and Axe. The DVD has a Joe Bob Briggs commentary track
Old 10-11-16, 04:37 PM

Don't Blink (2014), on Netflix, reminds me that horror movies need more 'WTF' strangeness and mystery sometimes. It's an ok film with much that is not immediately explained and some surreal elements - maybe cryptic to a fault but I found it refreshing after 'axe' theme day which mostly consisted of slashers and gore for me.
Old 10-11-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend Giant from the Unknown (1958).

Just kidding, it's the shits. Gigantic undead Spanish conquistador kills people because reasons? Rated P.U.
Old 10-11-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
I highly recommend Giant from the Unknown (1958).

Just kidding, it's the shits. Gigantic undead Spanish conquistador kills people because reasons? Rated P.U.
I like cheap B movies, but even I should stay away from that one?
Old 10-11-16, 04:52 PM

It's interesting how many movies just have 'good guy' out to kill the 'bad guy' in staged self defense. Classic films like Frankenstein where a mob tries to lynch the monster seem so tongue-in-cheek (rarely do viewers seem to side with the mob) to where now 70%+ of the time it's expected the bad guy dies (even if he comes back).

I think it's be much more interesting if the villain was arrested or faces some other barrier to his murderous rampage. For example, I think the most interesting Friday the 13th ending is the one where
Spoiler:
he gets chained under water
, it's much more atmospheric and eerie.

Some films seem to compel this weird justification for the violent demise of the 'monster' to a fault.
Old 10-11-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I was watching some Scream season two episodes yesterday and in one some of the cast mentioned that they were on their way to see Killer Klowns From Outer Space. Pretty funny. They obviously wanted to make sure and see the subset pick.
Old 10-11-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Saw: The Complete Movie Collection is currently $9.46 at Amazon.

Mine's still sitting unopened on the shelf collecting dust for the past 2½ years. Never made it past the third one, and don't really feel the urge to open it.
Old 10-11-16, 07:34 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I just got my best birthday horror movie haul ever (The Thing, Salem's Lot, It, Return of the Living Dead, Shallows, Chopping Mall, Pet Sematary, Zombieland, The Wolfman Legacy, Purge 3 and Under the Cherry Moon). I am set for the rest of the week!
Old 10-11-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Pieces (1982)

Juan Piquer Simon's gory slasher opens with a little boy putting together a puzzle of a nude woman. His mother catches him and punishes him for looking at smut. So the boy reacts how any child would in such a situation: he chops up his mother with an axe and tricks the authorities into believing he was a witness in a home invasion. 40 years later, somebody is murdering college girls with a chainsaw and keeping certain body parts as trophies. I'm a fan of 80s slashers, but this was my first time viewing this, and it was pretty entertaining.

Christopher George plays a detective trying to solve the murders, and his wife, Linda George, plays a tennis star-slash-cop who goes undercover at the campus , but her fantastic legs make her a direct target of the killer. Nobody's going to argue that Pieces is a great film, but it's definitely fun for slasher fans, featuring good kills, hot babes, and an effective who-dunnit feel. Everybody is a suspect, and I managed to pick up on a clue about halfway through the movie and successfully guess the killer, but the film still got me with a surprise scare at the end. For some reason the detectives end up relying heavily on a Don Juan college student who keeps finding himself at the center of the murder scenes. I mean, it's very weird how often they let him hang out during the investigation, but nobody's watching Pieces for verisimilitude.

Deathgasm (2015)

I'm not a fan of heavy metal, and the poster didn't do much to excite me, so I was surprised how much I enjoyed this comedy/horror flick from New Zealand. It's not as good as last year's What We Do in the Shadows, but I'm really enjoying the movies/shows coming from New Zealand recently. Heavily inspired by the Evil Dead films, Deathgasm features a nerdy metal band who inadvertently summon a horde of demons by playing an unholy song known as The Black Hymn. Chaos ensues, and it's up to the members of Deathgasm to save New Zealand, and the world, from an evil cult who wants to summon the demon Aeloth.

Quirky, funny, and even a little heart-warming, this film is very entertaining, and when the demons start attacking, the film does not skimp on the gore. Our heroes have to improvise their weapons, drill bits on the end of a guitar, dual-wielding chainsaws, and in a pinch, even a big, black rubber dildo is used as a weapon to fight the demonic forces. There's a beautiful kiwi love interest for eye candy, and at one point, even a demon penis is on display if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 10-11-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Graduation Day (1981) is a fun early 80's slasher that I somehow have missed on my years of watching movies like this. Great fun soundtrack with some decent kills and a serviceable plot for a movie like this. It kept my interest with many of the strange directorial choices (long ass gymnastics scene, love of slow-mo throughout, love of almost psychedelic-type flashbacks, and a crazy long rollerskating scene) which adds to the flavor of the movie. That one song during the long rollerskating scene will get into your head! Check this one out if you haven't seen it.
I did not say that at all Trevor! I am not Spiderbite!

This was my review:

This was a derivative, by the number, completely unoriginal 80's slasher. And I loved every minute of it. I am surprised I have never seen this before, if only due to the fact that it has the ever delectable Linnea Quigley in it. As you may have guessed by the title it is set on Graduation Day shortly after a track meet tragedy claims the life of one of the students. There are red herrings, over the top deaths, lots of sex and even cop with a joint in one of the bullet chambers of his gun. And I loved the almost inappropriate use of music in this, they are songs new to me but still all surprisingly good. This is so far my pick of the challenge. There is an audio commentary on this disc entitled only "The Hysteria Continues" which is oddly intriguing and my next title up.
Old 10-11-16, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats to the winners.... that bing said. I had my first scare.

Leaving work, I see a cat in the parking lot. Try to call it to me, but nothing. As i walk past my jeep, which had a window down I say... hope he doesn't go in the jeep. Leave work around 11pm... and about to open my door when the cat jumps out... i screamed, I am man enough to admit it.
Old 10-11-16, 09:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I did not say that at all Trevor! I am not Spiderbite!

This was my review:
I'm sorry, have no idea what I did there. Big time multi-quote fail. I'll fix it when I'm more awake. 4-5 hours a night is killing me, but there are too many movies!
Old 10-11-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Couple of horror/comedies from the 80s up tonight:

Killer Party (1986)
The Midnight Hour (1985)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.