Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 234 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Does DR. STRANGELOVE count? I just picked it up at the Criterion 50% off sale at Barnes & Noble. IMDB lists it as a comedy, but it's a lot more than that. It's definitely in the apocalyptic genre, so I figured that qualified it. If not I'll use it as a wild card.
Old 07-14-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 762 Likes on 552 Posts

^I'd call it political satire of the "Cold War." A black comedy lampooning MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction).

That said, it *is* in the "Overlook Film Encyclopedia of Science Fiction" which I'd accept over IMDB *or* Allmovie any day.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-14-16 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^I'd call it political satire of the "Cold War." A black comedy lampooning MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction).

That said, it *is* in the "Overlook Film Encyclopedia of Science Fiction" which I'd accept over IMDB *or* Allmovie any day.
Ditto. It deals with the end of the world through nuclear annihilation, so I'd definitely count it.
Old 07-14-16, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 122 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Parts of G.I. Joe mini series have sci-fi listed as a genre tag, and with Cobra Commander being from a mysterious land, and a lot of the Cobra plots do have a sci-fi bent. Would it be allowed to count the series?
If you think it would count, you can count it.
Old 07-14-16, 08:08 PM

That works.
Old 07-15-16, 03:51 AM

Received 552 Likes on 391 Posts

If you're looking for something to watch, Netflix just released the new series Stranger Things. It looks like a mix of E.T., Close Encounters, The Goonies, Amazing Stories, etc. Should be a lot of fun.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80057281

Old 07-15-16, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
If you're looking for something to watch, Netflix just released the new series Stranger Things. It looks like a mix of E.T., Close Encounters, The Goonies, Amazing Stories, etc. Should be a lot of fun.
IMDB only lists it as horror, though (haven't checked allmovie).
Old 07-15-16, 08:44 AM

Received 552 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
IMDB only lists it as horror, though (haven't checked allmovie).
Netflix lists it in the TV Sci-Fi & Fantasy genre.

https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/1372

I'm midway through, and it's definitely Sci-Fi.
Old 07-15-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While looking up some titles I discovered "The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction" 3rd Edition is available *free* online. It's another good source SF information and I had been looking at purchasing a copy of the book, as I much prefer a physical book over online or ebook for casual browsing, when I discovered that 3rd edition is free online. I'm still looking at picking up a copy of the last print edition but it's a good resource for looking up qualifying titles.

They also have "The Encyclopedia of Fantasy" titles listed on the site.
They also list *all* the Indiana Jones films as SF so I'm leaning towards watching them.
Old 07-15-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Close enough for me.
Old 07-15-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

6 episodes left of season 1 of Twilight Zone but I think I need to break things up with a movie or two first. I'm thinking of Killdozer and maybe Birdemic if I want another movie.
Old 07-15-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 194 Likes on 148 Posts

I just finished Season 2 of Ancient Aliens. I'm enjoying going through the series from the beginning, but haven't decided if I want to go right into Season 3 yet, or maybe start on another series. Or perhaps just break it up with a movie or two in the middle.
Old 07-15-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

They also have "The Encyclopedia of Fantasy" titles listed on the site.
They also list *all* the Indiana Jones films as SF so I'm leaning towards watching them.
Excellent. I was wondering about that. imdb has Last Crusade as Fantasy, but the tone is no different than the others and felt like they all should have been included. Might give them a go as well.

I came here to ask about this, too, so I am happy that it is a sci-fi show. That one was tough, because it's marketed as horror, but from what I've read, it is a mix of E.T., X-Files, Super 8, and maybe some Stephen King thrown in. I plan on diving into it later tonight. Been looking forwardto this show from the previews I've seen.
Old 07-15-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been working my way through disc 1 of Batman, Season One. You can keep your movie villains. To me the true Batman villains will always be the ones from the TV series.
Old 07-15-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been working my way through disc 1 of Batman, Season One. You can keep your movie villains. To me the true Batman will always be the ones from the TV series.
Just as Robin, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, and Batgirl in that series are the true depictions of those characters. My granddaughter (age 5) loves that series... but she mainly wants to watch the Catwoman episodes (Julie Newmar of course). I was very pleased to find that series holds up excellently for me - I like it today almost as much as when I was 11. Oh yeah... the 66 Batmobile is the absolutely best looking/coolest one ever made.
Old 07-15-16, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been working my way through disc 1 of Batman, Season One. You can keep your movie villains. To me the true Batman villains will always be the ones from the TV series.
I don't know. I don't think they'd last too long against most movie Batmans. I'm not even sure Batman would even need to be a thing if it was those villains in modern times. It'd be like if the Hamburglar was a real thing. I don't think anyone would take it upon themselves to turn vigilante to deal with that threat.

Riddler might get away with stuff since nobody would be able to guess his clues but it wouldn't be due to the clues being too brilliant.

Is anyone here playing "that game which shall not be mentioned"? You know what the heck I'm talking about. I walk across campus to get to another building and you can tell whose playing it. My kids are all playing it. Even my oldest that said it was stupid has caught some now.
Old 07-15-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,126 Likes on 924 Posts

(Julie Newmar of course)

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Is anyone here playing "that game which shall not be mentioned"? You know what the heck I'm talking about. I walk across campus to get to another building and you can tell whose playing it. My kids are all playing it. Even my oldest that said it was stupid has caught some now.
Still resisting, but dang, everyone else is playing!
Old 07-15-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Proud to say I'm not, even though have friends asking me to play it. There was a story on the local news yesterday morning. A teenager was hit by a car when she going home through rush hour traffic to tell her mother she had caught some.

While I prefer the classic Doctor Who, in the absence of that being available, the new series is slowly starting to grow on me. Been watching it on Amazon Prime.
Old 07-16-16, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Unfortunately, my iPhone is prehistoric (by technology standards) and won't support the iOS needed for the game. It looks like fun, and several of my friends and family members are having a blast. I do like that Nintendo is basically shouting "get out of your house and walk" at its gamers!

Speaking of getting out of the house, I went to the theater and watched the new Ghostbusters. It's a very enjoyable movie. I'm a fan of all four actresses as well as the beefy Chris Hemsworth, so it was a treat to see the five of them play off each other. The film features several cameos from original cast members which has me in the mood to watch the original.

I also watched Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, a film I respect more than love. I picked up the recent BD release for $10 and wanted to check out the transfer, and it's gorgeous. I found myself pausing a couple of times to really study the frame. The backgrounds when Snow White is running through the forest are fantastic as is the Evil Queen's lair. Now, when it comes to classic Disney princesses, I prefer Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella which both have tighter plots and more memorable songs. The extended gag scenes in Snow White try my patience a bit.
Old 07-16-16, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,126 Likes on 924 Posts

Have been watching a few things lately, some of which qualify: Castle, Waitress, Serenity, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. An unintentional Fillion-fest!
Old 07-16-16, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Have been watching a few things lately, some of which qualify: Castle, Waitress, Serenity, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. An unintentional Fillion-fest!
My daughter lent me the Firefly box set for my first sci-fi challenge. I've still only watched SERENITY and the first ep. She keeps asking me about it.
Old 07-16-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
My daughter lent me the Firefly box set for my first sci-fi challenge. I've still only watched SERENITY and the first ep. She keeps asking me about it.
What are you waiting for? It's a very good series that Fox mistreated, misunderstood, and prematurely cancelled. However, you shouldn't watch the movie before the series. It has a greater impact if you've seen the series first.
Old 07-16-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What are you waiting for? It's a very good series that Fox mistreated, misunderstood, and prematurely cancelled. However, you shouldn't watch the movie before the series. It has a greater impact if you've seen the series first.
That's okay. I've forgotten everything in the movie, so it'll be like a first-time viewing.
Old 07-16-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Okay, I binged through half the night with Stranger Things on netflix and woke up this morning to finish off the last two episodes. I loved it. Netflix has better quality shows than many networks. I was hooked from the very first moments. Nice nostalgia back to the 80's, a gripping plot, some horror thrown in, and just a great way to relax and be entertained.
Old 07-16-16, 02:33 PM

Just as Robin, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, and Batgirl in that series are the true depictions of those characters. My granddaughter (age 5) loves that series... but she mainly wants to watch the Catwoman episodes (Julie Newmar of course). I was very pleased to find that series holds up excellently for me - I like it today almost as much as when I was 11. Oh yeah... the 66 Batmobile is the absolutely best looking/coolest one ever made.
I've been watching this with Travis the last few months as time permits. We're through season one and halfway through season 2. Season one was a fun romp, but season 2 has some clunkers. Really lame plots and criminals that don't make any sense, not even for Batman! I'm hoping it picks up a bit in part 2 of season 2.

I have to admit I've been playing it a bit. My main issue is that my service sucks where I live. Once I"m out of wi-fi range, there is no satellite connection so anytime I'm outside, I can't play it unless I'm in a different location which kind of defeats the purpose. I'm all for a game that encourages people and kids especially to get outside and walk...as long as they pay attention!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.