DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Seventh Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion - June 2016

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion - June 2016

Originally Posted by davidh777
Thanks for the tip! I don't think I own the film in any format so I just got a sale copy along with a second for my sister.
No problem! I also watched the Twilight Time BD of Jane Eyre with Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine, and it also looks very good. Not as good as Sense and Sensibility, but they were working with copies.

I've been watching The Tudors which really stepped up in the first half of the second season. It's a very enjoyable show, and I'm a bit sad that a lot of people seemed to bulk at the historical inaccuracies. At this point, the show is less about history and more about the people pulled into the destructive orbit of an all-powerful, egomanical humanist. It's fascinating, and I cannot help by want certain characters to break from their historical narratives and get the hell out of England.
Old 06-30-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I actually watched a couple of movies last night that counted for this challenge.

I moved one of my HT seats a couple feet closer to the screen to see if I liked it better with the screen filling more of my field of vision, so I needed to watch some stuff. I started with Stalingrad (2013) in 3D, and the 3D effects and the movie looked great. The movie gets a lot of hate on IMDb, but I thought it was pretty good (the 3D probably helped).

EDIT: One minus to sitting closer that I just remembered - reading subtitles takes you away from the action on the rest of the screen more than with a smaller screen.

I followed that with Fort Apache (1948). The narrower AR made the screen look a lot taller than I'm used to, which was really great for stuff like the shot where the horses ran over the camera.

I still need to watch a couple of things on DVD to see how it looks (DVDs were already iffy at the old seating position) before I make a final decision.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-30-16 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

With today's viewing of DeMille's 1923 version of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, I've now seen a silent film for this challenge and have also now seen something from every decade from the 1920s to the 2010s, a period of 93 years.

Also, I watched THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938) on Blu-ray tonight to celebrate Olivia de Havilland's birthday tomorrow (July 1). She's still with us and will turn 100!
Old 06-30-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Man, I'm really having trouble coming up with cross-over titles for tonight!
Old 06-30-16, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've come up with The Prestige and Ginger Snaps Back, although GSB is not listed as SciFi. I may have to wild card it.
Old 06-30-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
I've come up with The Prestige and Ginger Snaps Back, although GSB is not listed as SciFi. I may have to wild card it.
I used a UFO documentary for a crossover title. Just finished watching Aliens In America on Destination America.
Old 06-30-16, 11:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't get to as much as I hoped this challenge (as is usually the case), but was happy to watch several movies that I had wanted to see for a long time, including Come and See, Black Robe and The Battle of Algiers, all of which lived up to their reputations. Love & Friendship was delightful.
Old 06-30-16, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (OK, not great, but not terrible either), and my Warner Archive copy of George Pal's Atlantis: The Lost Continent
Old 07-01-16, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I want to watch more Olivia de Havilland movies for her birthday, but they won't count for this challenge since the challenge is over. And since she didn't make any sci-fi or fantasy movies, they won't count for that challenge. Oh well...

ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD was #59 on my list and I wanted to make it to 60 but I couldn't finish any westerns I started to watch late last night (including THE PROUD REBEL, with Olivia and Alan Ladd), so I wound up pulling various half-hour episodes I'd watched during the month but hadn't counted yet, mostly documentaries, to make up the 60th entry.

See post #26 for my full list.
Old 07-01-16, 08:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Man, I'm really having trouble coming up with cross-over titles for tonight!
I'm thinking documentaries about sci-fi/fantasy might be the only qualifiers. But maybe someone more awake than I am has some creative ideas (for next year at this point obviously).
Old 07-01-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
I watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (OK, not great, but not terrible either), and my Warner Archive copy of George Pal's Atlantis: The Lost Continent
Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm thinking documentaries about sci-fi/fantasy might be the only qualifiers. But maybe someone more awake than I am has some creative ideas (for next year at this point obviously).
I had planned to watch PaPaZ as well but when the day came I didn't want to pay for the iTunes rental. I DID end up watching both The Prestige, which would definitely qualify on both counts, and Ginger Snaps Back, which is a werewolf movie set in the 19th century. It is not labeled as scifi because it is a horror, so I used a wild card on it (not sure if that was necessary or not). I didn't think to look for scifi documentaries in my collection. But, as you say, maybe next year.
Old 07-01-16, 09:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I'm obviously not awake, as I missed those posts above, and we've probably discussed crossover qualifiers the previous six years as well!

This is/was a more difficult month than most for double credit, but obviously there are a fair amount of choices. Maybe next year I'll go through the old threads and come up with a list.
Old 07-01-16, 10:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'd suggest the great Ray Harryhausen "Special Effects Titan" doc - I watched it Wednesday with the commentary track - could have saved it for this year, but by midnight as I was pretty much wiped - on the plus side I slept a near ten hours
Old 07-01-16, 10:56 AM

I tried watching Anatasia (1956 version) couldn't do it - fell asleep on the last hour or so.

last day was the most eclectic:

Charlie Victor Romero - reanactments of airplane black box recordings - I had seen this in play form in London's West End and here in DC, and they apparently they made this into a movie, a 3D one at that, on Netflix streaming though it's flat 2D.

The Music of Strangers: Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble from the director of "20 Feet from Stardom" - really good doc, but the pacing at certain points felt off.

Bernardo Bertolucci: Reflections on Cinema - one of my fave film directors - really liked how the filmmakers used to a ton of archival interviews of him over the years.

The Boomer List an 'American Masters' episode of the 'boomer' generation born between 1946 and 1964 - fascinating.

and to go out with a bang:

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi I'm not sure why I avoided this in the theater - really dug it and the bluray looks and sounds UH-mazing!! (it's loud as sin).
Old 07-01-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I'd suggest the great Ray Harryhausen "Special Effects Titan" doc - I watched it Wednesday with the commentary track - could have saved it for this year, but by midnight as I was pretty much wiped - on the plus side I slept a near ten hours
I'd also strongly recommend Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau, a doc about the making of the catastrophically awful 1998 film, the diva behavior of its leads that helped doom the film, and the self-destruction of its first director, who was canned a month into production.

Additionally, Jodorowsky's Dune, an exploration of legendary Chilean director Alejandro Jodorowsky's vision for his version of a Dune film that never got off the ground, and The Death of Superman Lives, about Kevin Smith's failed revival of Superman that would have starred Nicholas Cage (!), are well worth watching.
Old 07-01-16, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear
I'd also strongly recommend Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau, a doc about the making of the catastrophically awful 1998 film, the diva behavior of its leads that helped doom the film, and the self-destruction of its first director, who was canned a month into production.

Additionally, Jodorowsky's Dune, an exploration of legendary Chilean director Alejandro Jodorowsky's vision for his version of a Dune film that never got off the ground, and The Death of Superman Lives, about Kevin Smith's failed revival of Superman that would have starred Nicholas Cage (!), are well worth watching.
'Lost Soul' and 'Death of Superman Lives' definitely sound fascinating.

'Jodorowsky's Dune' is amazeballs
Old 07-01-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I watched Death of Superman Lives before, and add mine to the recommendations.
Old 07-02-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
...Also, I watched THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938) on Blu-ray tonight to celebrate Olivia de Havilland's birthday tomorrow (July 1). She's still with us and will turn 100!
Wow! I had no idea she was still with us! That's super!

I didn't watch a single "historical" thing on the 30th. I tried watching Song of the South at work but the copies I found on youtube were horrible quality and I couldn't make myself watch more than a half hour or so. Since I'd started watching the Battlestar Galactica remake on the 29th I just continued with it rather than picking out one last title. It didn't help that the grandkids spent the night and didn't go to bed until ~10pm. That by itself pretty much cemented that I'd not make it through a final movie and since the SF/Fantasy challenge had started at sunset I just didn't make the effort.
Old 07-03-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If time travel qualifies for the SF Challenge, then the Starz series OUTLANDER would qualify as a cross-over.
Old 07-13-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I want to watch more Olivia de Havilland movies for her birthday, but they won't count for this challenge since the challenge is over. And since she didn't make any sci-fi or fantasy movies, they won't count for that challenge. Oh well...
I'm interspersing ODH films with sf/f films this month, thanks to TCM. So far, very enjoyable - two odd comedies (one about affairs and family dynamics) seem most out of place so far - but I've just finished the great The Great Garrick, and a) fantastic, b) apparently based loosely on the life of a real 18th Century actor, and c) ...I could be imagining it, but there seemed to be a whole lot of circumstantial similarities in vague plot, tone and even lines with Singin' in the Rain! Anyone else seen both and have any thoughts on possible inspiration..?