DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Seventh Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion - June 2016

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion - June 2016

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Speaking of John Wayne, I was lucky to catch yesterday's episode of "Wagon Train" on Encore Western. It was "The Colter Craven Story" and was directed by John Ford, mentor of the series' star, Ward Bond. It was filled with Ford's stock company (Carleton Young, Anna Lee, Hank Worden, Ken Curtis, John Carradine, et al) and in the Shiloh flashback scene in which Bond's character interacts with General U.S. Grant (Paul Birch), there's an appearance by General Sherman, seen only in silhouette and with one or two lines of dialogue, but it's unmistakably John Wayne, who's billed in the credits as "Michael Morris," a play on his real name.

What a treat.
Here's that episode on YouTube if anyone wants to check it out.

EDIT: This copy of the episode is chopped up. It's missing the opening and closing credits, as well as a couple of short scenes (about 5 minutes total).

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-24-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-24-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

If anyone has Epix and also has access to their On Demand library, there is a good movie under the War heading about the 1971 Belfast riots called '71. It is about a British soldier who gets separated from his unit and has to survive on the streets of Belfast in the middle of the riots.
Old 06-26-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Today, I watched one of my favorite films, Ang Lee and Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility. Screen Archives is having a sale so I picked up the BD for $20. The film looks magnificent, and the transfer highlights the level and care and detail taken with the set design. There's hardly a scene that doesn't contain an intricate pattern, piece of artwork, or bowl of flowers, and each of the houses and spaces reflects something of the people who own and inhabit them. It's a brilliant film.
I just watched P&P (1940), and the nineties Persuasion and the above S&S.

I haven't read them all, but I've been under the impression that all Austen's books are at least witty if not out-and-out comedic (in the arch British sense). From the films, P&P was absolutely brilliant: witty, funny, excellently acted (especially the parents) and well-plotted. S&S was much more gentle, not as funny (barring the gold-digging vile wife - "viper at my bosom!"), but well done. Persuasion seemed dull. Not terribly interesting - and certainly overlong - nor very amusing or clever.
Old 06-26-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Off from work the next couple of days. It will probably be my last ditch effort to run up a few more entries before this is over. Already beat my goal of more than the number of days in the month. But hoping to make 35 at least. Could get 40 if I really push it. But depends on work for that.
Which is always the case for these things- i wish that I could do more but I do what I can when I have the time. But doing 35-40 movies in a month is something that I don't do regularly. These challenges really push me to watch more movies. Which is a good thing.
Old 06-26-16, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished an interesting show about the Hammerhead called ega Hammerhead, as part of SharkFest on Nat Geo Wild. I love sharks, so Shark Week combined with SharkFest is wonderful for me.
Old 06-27-16, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished an interesting episode of Word Travels, on Outside Television. It was about some of the things to do in Alberta, that the typical tourist wouldn't even think of, like taking a helicopter ride into the mountains just to do yoga.
Old 06-27-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Went on a bit of a Tarantino rampage this last week! After watching Inglorious Basterds, as I mentioned before, I also watched Django Unchained, which was excellent, and then went and bought and watched The Hateful Eight! So great! Now my total so far is at 63! I can't believe it! I usually don't do that well in June, but I've been watching really interesting stuff, and even a couple things at the theater that count. It's been a fun month for sure.
Old 06-27-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By the way, am I going to be able to count Pride and Prejudice and Zombies if I watch it??
Old 06-27-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
By the way, am I going to be able to count Pride and Prejudice and Zombies if I watch it??
Good question, since I'm also planning to watch it on the 30th for double credit.
Old 06-27-16, 04:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Sure!
Old 06-28-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
...I found a few more documentaries that are leaving Prime in a few days...
I'm usually unable to find a way to tell... how did you discover that?
Old 06-28-16, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I'm usually unable to find a way to tell... how did you discover that?
It only shows when you're browsing videos on a computer. It'll tell you "Leaving Prime in xx days" or "Leaving Prime on (date)." It shows under a title in your "watchlist" or on the popup when hovering over a title but only on a computer. That info doesn't show at all on the Fire tablet so I typically use the computer to browse videos and/or add them to my watchlist to see this information.
Old 06-28-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Watched Inglourious Basterds finally. But now it's 1:35am and I have a course at 8:00am. Couldn't stop this movie in the middle though. It was too engaging. Also, I know it's late, but even tired, I'm pretty sure I don't remember WWII ending this way... Could just be the late hour though...
I watched INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS last night for the first time since I saw it in a theater. Loved it then, loved it now. I also watched the DVD extras. I was disappointed that "Nation's Pride," the movie within the movie, billed as "complete feature" on the menu, was only 6 minutes, but at least we got to see Bo Svenson deliver a very funny bit--something you NEVER would have heard from an officer in combat during the war. The "extended" scenes also included as an extra really didn't amount to much.

I also re-watched DJANGO UNCHAINED for this challenge, the first time since seeing it in a theater. It, too, holds up well. I saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT a second time this year also (but not for this challenge) and I have to say it didn't get any better the second time.

Interestingly, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS was the second film I've seen with Winston Churchill as a character this week. The first was MISSION TO MOSCOW (1943), in which the main character, Ambassador Joseph Davies, visits Churchill at his home, well before he'd gotten back into politics, to ask him about the chances for war. The actor looks a lot like Churchill, but he sounded like he was dubbed by another actor who could capture Churchill's voice.
Old 06-29-16, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS last night for the first time since I saw it in a theater. Loved it then, loved it now. I also watched the DVD extras. I was disappointed that "Nation's Pride," the movie within the movie, billed as "complete feature" on the menu, was only 6 minutes, but at least we got to see Bo Svenson deliver a very funny bit--something you NEVER would have heard from an officer in combat during the war. The "extended" scenes also included as an extra really didn't amount to much.

I also re-watched DJANGO UNCHAINED for this challenge, the first time since seeing it in a theater. It, too, holds up well. I saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT a second time this year also (but not for this challenge) and I have to say it didn't get any better the second time.

Interestingly, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS was the second film I've seen with Winston Churchill as a character this week. The first was MISSION TO MOSCOW (1943), in which the main character, Ambassador Joseph Davies, visits Churchill at his home, well before he'd gotten back into politics, to ask him about the chances for war. The actor looks a lot like Churchill, but he sounded like he was dubbed by another actor who could capture Churchill's voice.
I actually ended up watching Django Unchained, which was great, AND The Hateful Eight (after running out to buy it). But I liked it. What was it you didn't like about it?
Old 06-29-16, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
If anyone has Epix and also has access to their On Demand library, there is a good movie under the War heading about the 1971 Belfast riots called '71. It is about a British soldier who gets separated from his unit and has to survive on the streets of Belfast in the middle of the riots.
I watched it today. Really good, and the screenplay gets the nuances of the Troubles right.
Old 06-29-16, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually ended up watching Django Unchained, which was great, AND The Hateful Eight (after running out to buy it). But I liked it. What was it you didn't like about it?
Re: HATEFUL EIGHT - it's got all this great build-up in the first hour or so but then it goes off the rails after a major character's ignoble death midway through and the quick dispatch of so many of the characters in the finale. I would have liked more of an extended confrontation between the character who died and the character who emerges in the second half only to die too quickly. The fact that they never meet diminished the drama for me.
Old 06-29-16, 07:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I think I'm over Tarantino. After his first few films I thought him brilliant and imagined I'd always rush to see his films. But the reality has been that his last few films just seemed like rehashed ideas and violence for violence sake.
Old 06-29-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: HATEFUL EIGHT - it's got all this great build-up in the first hour or so but then it goes off the rails after a major character's ignoble death midway through and the quick dispatch of so many of the characters in the finale. I would have liked more of an extended confrontation between the character who died and the character who emerges in the second half only to die too quickly. The fact that they never meet diminished the drama for me.
Originally Posted by Trevor
I think I'm over Tarantino. After his first few films I thought him brilliant and imagined I'd always rush to see his films. But the reality has been that his last few films just seemed like rehashed ideas and violence for violence sake.
There's definitely the "violence for violence sake" factor, and I see your point about The Hateful Eight. I only recently started watching Tarantino's films, and still haven't seen some of the earlier ones, so maybe the novelty hasn't worn off for me yet. I love the cinematography of these films though, and the effort made to make them authentic to the time period. If there had been more character development, etc., in H8, it would have had to have been a Vol 1/2 situation like Kill Bill though. LOL
Old 06-29-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went on the IMDB Message Board for HATEFUL EIGHT to try and find a comment I wrote about it earlier this year and couldn't find it, but I found a reference to a Season One episode of "Bonanza" called "Desert Justice" that supposedly inspired HATEFUL EIGHT (along with a million other TV westerns and old movies), so I looked it up on Amazon and found it on Amazon Prime so I watched it. Not as similar to HATEFUL EIGHT as some other things I've researched, but still a good, suspenseful episode of "Bonanza." In it, Claude Akins plays a brutal marshal who takes custody of a man who works for the Cartwrights and insists he's wanted for murder back in Los Angeles. The Cartwrights don't trust him, so two of them accompany the marshal and his prisoner on the stage to L.A., along with a European doctor and his daughter and they wind up staying overnight at a stage station where our expectations slowly come undone.

Getting back to HATEFUL EIGHT, here's an excerpt from a critique on my blog:

And, after two-plus hours of build-up, the final confrontation is handled in a way that makes poor use of some key characters and undercuts suspense at several turns, opting for a set of resolutions that struck me as simply too easy. After so much investment, the pay-off, in short, was unsatisfying. It seems to me that Tarantino’s message was more important to him than the narrative. And for a film that makes highly touted use of 70mm film, the majority of it is set in a dark interior that seems to offer little opportunity for creative use of that format.
And here's a link to the blog entry which covers numerous films/TV shows that inspired HATEFUL EIGHT, all of which are eligible for this challenge:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/...hateful-eight/
Old 06-29-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched Song of the South on YouTube, and it really is as appallingly racist as its reputation, plus it starts with a drippy backstory of the little white boy's parents getting divorced.
Old 06-29-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Within the last couple of days I checked off two of three personal checklist items I'd been wanting to fulfill: I watched something from Italy and I watched something animated.

I'd seen GOLIATH AND THE SINS OF BABYLON (1963) in a theater when I was a kid but I didn't remember much of it. I recently picked up a widescreen Retromedia disc (pretty rare for a peplum, most of which are found on p.d. sets in fuzzy pan-and-scan prints) and the film turns out to be much better than average for the genre. It's got a battle between two full-size ships, shot in a studio tank with actors/stuntmen all over each ship, and it's also got a chariot race, smaller-scale than BEN-HUR, to be sure, but still impressive for one of these films. It goes BEN-HUR one better by having a female charioteer.

I have tons of anime with historical themes, but I went for four episodes of "Rose of Versailles" (1979), about a female captain of the guards at Versailles in the years preceding the French Revolution. In these eps., midway through the series, it turns out she's in love with the same Swedish noble that Marie Antoinette was in love with (Count Fersen), so to avoid further heartache she requests a transfer to the French Guards, a unit made up of noble-hating commoners who patrol the wild streets of Paris and engage in plotting of their own, and the trouble really begins. Arguably one of the greatest old-school anime series.

I still need to see something silent. I added a few Douglas Fairbanks titles to my Amazon Prime watchlist and hope to get to one of those before this challenge is over.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-29-16 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 08:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

saw "Evita" over at the Olney Theater this afternoon - great production / and listened to the "Hamilton' cast recording for the first time, while going to and from the theate
Old 06-29-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hadn't even thought of peplum. That breathes new life into the challenge for me.
Old 06-30-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got the new Criterion release of Dr. Strangelove! Do I need to wild card it for this challenge?
Old 06-30-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Today, I watched one of my favorite films, Ang Lee and Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility. Screen Archives is having a sale so I picked up the BD for $20. The film looks magnificent, and the transfer highlights the level and care and detail taken with the set design. There's hardly a scene that doesn't contain an intricate pattern, piece of artwork, or bowl of flowers, and each of the houses and spaces reflects something of the people who own and inhabit them. It's a brilliant film.
Thanks for the tip! I don't think I own the film in any format so I just got a sale copy along with a second for my sister.

There's definitely the "violence for violence sake" factor, and I see your point about The Hateful Eight. I only recently started watching Tarantino's films, and still haven't seen some of the earlier ones, so maybe the novelty hasn't worn off for me yet. I love the cinematography of these films though, and the effort made to make them authentic to the time period. If there had been more character development, etc., in H8, it would have had to have been a Vol 1/2 situation like Kill Bill though. LOL
Saw The Hateful Eight last night and didn't really like it. There was tension and action at the end, but it just fell flat for me. I generally like Tarantino and loved Inglorious Basterds, but wasn't that thrilled with Django either. Maybe I'm sort of over him, like Trevor is.

Originally Posted by Giles
saw "Evita" over at the Olney Theater this afternoon - great production / and listened to the "Hamilton' cast recording for the first time, while going to and from the theate

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.