Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Reading other peoples' MYOC ideas always makes me want to do a "Watch One Film for Each Participant's Challenge Challenge." You people keep reminding me of unwatched stuff I want to watch.
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
That's a creative approach.
Yes, that *is* a good idea! Well played!
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
As for me, I'm still undecided. Leaning towards a focus on some TV shows that I've never seen, despite owning the complete series.
Still undecided here as well.

I'm leaning in your general direction with a Complete TV Series type theme, focusing on a single series, as I have aquired, and not yet opened, more of those than I realized. Here's some of what I have from which to choose:
Spoiler:

The Munsters (a SS release double-dip)
Gilligan's Island (another SS release double-dip)
McMillan and Wife
Murder She Wrote
The Rockford Files
Sgt. Bilko (aka You'll Never Get Rich)
Frasier
Taxi
The Brady Bunch
Burn Notice*
The Fugitive*
Sea Hunt
Naked City*
The Gillmore Girls
Sanford and Son
As Time Goes By
Charmed
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Falling Skies*
It Takes a Thief
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Kung Fu
Mister Ed
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
*=Shows I've never seen before

But then I have enough unwatched British TV, many of which were blind buys, to devote a theme to that.

I'm also considering a "Stuff I watched as a kid" type theme. That encompasses the late 50s through the 60s so includes lots of classic TV, many still in my unopened piles, as well as hundreds of movies, also numerous in the unwatched piles. A local TV station owner was a film buff and purchased all kinds of films for his station. They ran everything from the 30s to, what were then, current films every weekend, especially Saturday and Sunday afternoons. It wasn't until I graduated college that I realized what a treasure trove of films I was privileged to watch on TV while growing up. I saw The Producers on late night TV less than a year after its release, never realizing what it was and its impact on film until years later. I also saw Bye Bye Birdie, the year it was released, one Saturday afternoon on that channel, and many, many more such examples.
Old 04-20-16, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Originally Posted by Screwadu
I'll be doing the 1001 Movies You Should See Before You Die challenge again.
I find those type lists intriguing. My problem is there are always dozens of films on such lists that I have *zero* interest in viewing and would find tough slogs. That even goes for lists focusing on genres I absolutely love.

I admire you for attempting such a task!
Old 04-20-16, 09:46 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I can't think of anything to do, so I am probably going to go with my fall back, Sports movies.
Old 04-20-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I find those type lists intriguing. My problem is there are always dozens of films on such lists that I have *zero* interest in viewing and would find tough slogs. That even goes for lists focusing on genres I absolutely love.

I know what you mean. I was introducing enough by the idea to check some of the lists, and there were a lot of movies on all the lists I looked at that I had no desire to see.
Old 04-20-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been at it for years, but then my computer crashed and I lost track of what I had already seen so I started over January 1. I'm up to 54 so far and I still have the luxury of watching stuff I want to watch before I'm forced to watch experimental Afghanistani romantic dramedies from 1924.
Old 04-20-16, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing that will help on the Action/Adventure portion of my challenge. I recently discovered that both the Amazing Race, and Survivor are on Amazon Prime.
Old 04-20-16, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
I've been at it for years, but then my computer crashed and I lost track of what I had already seen so I started over January 1. I'm up to 54 so far and I still have the luxury of watching stuff I want to watch before I'm forced to watch experimental Afghanistani romantic dramedies from 1924.
Tell me more about these experimental Afghanistani romantic dramedies from 1924. I'm intrigued!

I had an idea this evening to focus on films and television series that take place on boats/ships or have boats/ships as a major part of the plot. This would include spaceships and airships. If I run with the idea, I'll call it my "I'm on a Boat!" challenge.
Old 04-20-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a lot of title-carded hockem and lalalalallallalalala noises.

...and what a classy way to honor the RSS Boaty McBoatface
Old 04-21-16, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions and that website helps a lot! Happy movie watching.

Not necessarily. Essentially you want to do something that's *not* already covered by a challenge. That can be something totally different *or* narrowing another challenge. Here are some from the past that might give you a idea:

Movie serials
icheckmovies.com List Challenge
Finally Getting Around to a Bunch of Unwatched Items in My Collection
Form Over Content Challenge
Japanese TV Challenge: live-action/anime
VINCENTENNIAL Challenge (Celebrating the life and works of Vincent Leonard Price, Jr.)
The 50s/60s TV Challenge
The Life of P.I. (Private Investigators in movies/TV)
American Movies of the 30's, 40's, and 50's Challenge
World Cinema Challenge
Star Trek Challenge (everything Star Trek or related)
KUNG FU
The Name Challenge (All television shows and films watched will contain an individual's name (first and/or last) in the title.)
The Films of Woody Allen
Alfred Hitchcock Challenge
Films and TV programs originally seen in Britain
Spy movies and TV programs
National Film Registry Challenge (watch any film that has been inducted in the National Film Registry, since its inception in 1989)
Sports/Documentary/Animal Shows Challenge
You've Never Seen ..... Challenge (Stuff you've never seen before)
Amazon Watch List (Watch stuff on your Amazon watch list)
Documentaries

And lots more. Look at past year's challenge lists for more examples and ideas.

The main thing is select something doable and have fun.
Old 04-23-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

This year I am using the challenge to catch up on a lot I have missed.... so Comic Book Challenge... and TV or Movies based on a comic book.
Old 04-25-16, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I am in but I'll be honest, I'm nowhere near ready to pick a challenge theme! I have been bouncing a few ideas around. Items I've bought in the last year only, revisit my musicals theme from last year as I really didn't get to very many, Batman movies/tv. I've been watch S. 2 with Travis again the last couple weeks, but we're not even halfway yet. Maybe an odd combination of some of those?
Old 04-25-16, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm looking forward to next month. I even have a new tablet that I can watch things on. I've already dabbled in some stuff that would count for next month's challenge, like the behind the scenes featurettes of Black Sails, Season One, on Starz On Demand, and I've considered watching some Game of Thrones, on HBO Go.
Old 04-25-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Idea

Get Your Moneys Worth Re-Watch Challenge?

Watch only titles from the library and included date purchased if available and estimated amount of times watched and amortize total spent on title (if available) over amount of rewatches.
Old 04-25-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

While I had the idea to theme my challenge around boats and ships, I may go ahead and do another foreign film month. A friend is purging her film collection and his giving me many films from around the world. While going that way won't alone me to count my ongoing revisit of Star Trek: Voyager (get it - 'cause it's a starship), it would be nice to have extra incentive to get through as many subtitles as possible.
Old 04-26-16, 04:31 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm also looking at a comic book challenge. I think I will go with serials, there is a private channel on Roku called Cape Television that has a ton of those. If I change my mind I will probably go with animated comic book series or movies.
Old 04-26-16, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Idea

Get Your Moneys Worth Re-Watch Challenge?

Watch only titles from the library and included date purchased if available and estimated amount of times watched and amortize total spent on title (if available) over amount of rewatches.
That sounds like what I'd do in the early days of video games. I'd purchase a new game, usually a arcade conversion, and record the number of plays, counting each as $.25 (the then current cost of a play on most arcade machines), and attempt to make sure I played them at least enough to break even.

And I *still* don't know what my theme will be... at least there's still another few days to come up with something.
Old 04-26-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

It looks like the list thread has gone up on the 27th the past two years, so I'll try and do that again this time. Don't know if it'll be early or late in the day though.

That should give people who want to start at dusk on Saturday a little time to get ready. And as always, look for double credit movies or shows. I already have a couple ready to go, and since there's no shortage of made-for-tv movies based on comic books, I should have no trouble going into Sunday morning (if I can stay awake).
Old 04-26-16, 09:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Changing my Monster challenge idea as it ended up limiting my options a little more than I wanted. So it'll be Monsters vs. Aliens. Monster movies/TV and Alien movies/TV. Randomly chosen off a planning list. Keep a tally, see who wins.
Old 04-26-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I think I've made up my mind-I want to work on some of the lists at icheckmovies. Specifically Best Cartoons Ever, 100 Animated Feature Films, Top 100 Animated Features of all Time, Musical and Shorts lists. I mainly plan on focusing on animated, but Shorts and Musical will help break that up a bit. The animated ones will cross over a bit too, which is nice.
Old 04-27-16, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The list thread is now up.
Old 04-27-16, 11:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so I've decided - books made into movies. "From Page to Screen"
Old 04-28-16, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had decided on an Action Adventure / Documentary / Sports Challenge, but neglected to note the name of the challenge on my list. It's fixed now.
Old 04-28-16, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I had decided on an Action Adventure / Documentary / Sports Challenge, but neglected to note the name of the challenge on my list. It's fixed now.
No problem. We're still a couple days away from the start, and it's not uncommon for a few people to still be making up their minds into the first week.
Old 04-28-16, 05:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cops, Detectives, Criminals and Crime again for me. I have so much stuff to watch in this area, I can always use the push to try to get to a bit more.
Old 04-29-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't feel pressured by this post. We still have a couple days left until May.

Here's the list of challengers and their challenges as of now.

List of Participants and their Challenges:
Spoiler:

Name
Challenge
Dimension X"Four Color Adventures Challenge"
shadokitty"Action Adventure / Documentary / Sports Challenge"
TheBigDave"Back to the '80s Challenge"
BobO'Link****
wishbone"I Know Kung-Fu" Challenge
mrcellophane"Foreign Film Challenge"
Cardsfan111"The Binge-Watching Challenge"
davidh777****
omike****
Trevor****
Giles"From Page to Screen" Challenge
lisadoris"Star Trek Deep Space Nine / Star Trek: Voyager Challenge"
orlmac"Serials based on comic-book characters" Challenge
malazar****
MrTerrific****
SterlingBen****
pacaway"The Full Monty" Challenge
Greg MacGuffin****
Screwadu"1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" Challenge
Gobear"Shakespeare and Friends" Challenge
ororama"Cops, Detectives, Criminals and Crime" Challenge
LJG765icheckmovies "(Specifically Best Cartoons Ever, 100 Animated Feature Films, Top 100 Animated Features of all Time, Musical and Shorts lists)" Challenge
PCBreakdown"Monsters vs Aliens Challenge"

If you notice any errors in this list, please let me know.

It's Nice to see a few more folks adding fancy Challenge banners to the top of their list posts. It's good to know I'm not the only one who wasted time making one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.