Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

More current Redbox Codes:

DVD code: 45GJ9382

Blu-Ray or Game: DF7GAE4T

Pulled these from an e-mail I received of various freebies. Expiration date 10/25

Also, these will work online or via app. Not at a kiosk.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 10-23-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 215 Likes on 141 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Crimson Peak, despite the over the top set design and unbelievable period costumes, ended up working really nicely - worth seeing. Del Toro sometimes needs to be more subtle but ultimately it snapped into place well.

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
...I found out today that a former coworker killed himself on Thursday morning. All in all, I am just a complete disaster right about now.
That is a gut punch but it's things like this that humble me and make me want to get the most out of life; maybe make it so the next person down the line feels more affirmed or at lease make sure to enjoy a choice film/thing in memory of your coworker.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-23-15 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 822 Likes on 323 Posts

Tarantino's favorite film of 1982 The Sender was an unexpected pleasant surprise. The shock treatment scene alone is worth the price of admission. Unfortunately Olive went bare bones yet again; could've used a commentary.

The October curse is legit. I strained a muscle at work on Wednesday and am hurting pretty bad. Then, I found out today that a former coworker killed himself on Thursday morning. All in all, I am just a complete disaster right about now.
Really sorry to hear on both counts.

Originally Posted by Gobear
For today's theme, I watched The Houses That October Built, which I found to be disappointing. The idea is sound--5 friends tool around Texas and Louisiana looking for the ultimate Halloween horror house attraction and find out how real the scares are--but the execution was sloppy and muddled. The film seemed to be going in an occult direction and then completely changed course at the very end with a limp finale. I loved the idea of real monsters using seasonal amusements to find victims, but they cheat the viewer at the end. There was a certain lack of imagination, too--I wish they had stopped at an evangelical Christian "hell house" and shown the villains interacting with the clueless scare actors
Spoiler:
or have the corpses of the victims used in a horror house run by Blue Skeleton, which was set up earlier in the film

It's also yet another "found footage" movie with the annoying video cutouts and static. Whatever happened to making horror movies with real production values?

Spoiler:
The horror tourists are pursued along the road to each Halloween house by what we are led to believe are genuine supernatural creatures. They are lured to what is purported to be the ultimate scare house in New Orleans run by a mysterious group called Blue Skeleton who turn out to be serial killers. Everyone dies. The end.
I was sympathetic to the characters. It ends there. You'll get better production values by watching one of those "Extreme Halloween" shows on The Travel Channel, and minus the shaky cam.
Old 10-23-15, 03:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111

Pulled these from an e-mail I received of various freebies. Expiration date 10/25

Thanks! Just reserved 5 freebies at a kiosk 900 feet away. Hopefully I remember to get them after work.....
Old 10-23-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
That is a gut punch but it's things like this that humble me and make me want to get the most out of life; maybe make it so the next person down the line feels more affirmed or at lease make sure to enjoy a choice film/thing in memory of your coworker.
On the other hand, we already had at least one student trying to get the rules bent for her, by throwing out something about the recent UCC shooting in her emails to us.
Old 10-23-15, 03:40 PM

Then, I found out today that a former coworker killed himself on Thursday morning. All in all, I am just a complete disaster right about now.
That sucks Ed, if it worked this way you can have all my happiness today.

Depression is a menace. I didn't really understand it at all until going through a bit of it myself earlier this year.

Speaking of that, and sorry to change from that topic to a movie that I imagine gets a lot of hate, but I watched Unfriended earlier this month. I put it on almost expecting to hate it, given the cover art and slight knowledge I had of it; but ended up really enjoying it.
Old 10-23-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

The October curse is legit. I strained a muscle at work on Wednesday and am hurting pretty bad. Then, I found out today that a former coworker killed himself on Thursday morning. All in all, I am just a complete disaster right about now.
I'm sorry. That's terrible.
Old 10-23-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
I would say it is good, Part Teen Drama and Part Horror Comedy. The humor does not reach Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland levels, neither does the horror. There was one particularly funny moment (at least I though it was) I will not spoil it though. I think it's worth a watch if you have not seen it yet.
Watched it so curious about that one part now
Old 10-23-15, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
I would say it is good, Part Teen Drama and Part Horror Comedy. The humor does not reach Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland levels, neither does the horror. There was one particularly funny moment (at least I though it was) I will not spoil it though. I think it's worth a watch if you have not seen it yet.
Originally Posted by jacob_b
I'm guessing the lead-up to the ending.

Speaking of movies with one particularly funny part, did anyone see Summer School?
Old 10-23-15, 04:31 PM

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Did we decide that Odd Thomas qualifies?
Old 10-23-15, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Yeah the Part with the
Spoiler:
Stove strapped to her back
I don't recall seeing anything quite like that in any other zombie movie

Last edited by CrazyMat; 10-23-15 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111

Thanks!

As usual, life has been busy ... work, kids, Cubs, BTTF... and I've just caught up with reading the threads (slow, lazy day at work for everybody...YAY!)

We have Trunk or Treat and the kids' Halloween Bash at school tonight. If I'm not completely worn out afterwards, I'm going to try and get at least ONE viewing of something in tonight. Maybe I'll use the Redbox codes.
Old 10-23-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

It was nice having another day off work, but I haven't done all that much viewing today. It was nice to go out to lunch and hang out without thinking about the challenge for a little bit.

I was planning a showing of Death Bed with some friends tonight, but the weather is pretty lousy. Not sure if they are still going to want to drive in all this rain. We'll see.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I must be a oddball... I never watched Buffy during the original airings and last summer sometime picked up a used copy of S1 to test the waters. I enjoyed it very much - enough so that I picked up the rest of the series on the strength of S1. So far I've only viewed S1 & S2 but it's been quite a good series. Much better than I'd expected.
I think season 3 is the tightest and perhaps the best season in its run, but season 5 is a pretty close second. In other words, you have some more good viewing days ahead.

So sorry for your loss and for your injury. Just find a way to relax and get your mind off things.
Old 10-23-15, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 193 Likes on 135 Posts

Has anyone ever seen the 1949 version of Fall of the House of Usher that TCM is showing tonight? I'm intrigued, but viewer comments are pretty bad.
Old 10-23-15, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

I started tonight's marathon with an annual viewing of Halloween Crazier on Travel Channel On Demand. I love Travel Channel's Halloween programming.
Old 10-23-15, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would the wnuf Halloween special count for today's theme since it takes place in a haunted house or am I just reaching?

Planning on doubling up tonight with a first watch of the relic and a rewatch of killer klowns
Old 10-23-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Has anyone ever seen the 1949 version of Fall of the House of Usher that TCM is showing tonight? I'm intrigued, but viewer comments are pretty bad.
I was thinking about watching that too, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere as good as the 20's or 60's version.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I started tonight's marathon with an annual viewing of Halloween Crazier on Travel Channel On Demand. I love Travel Channel's Halloween programming.
Yeah, there's been massive Halloween-programming on that channel this year. Halloween Craziest was the last one I saw. Surprisingly risque stuff was shown with the nude attacker on the "Blackout" haunt and those bodypaint girls in Vegas.
Old 10-23-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
Did we decide that Odd Thomas qualifies?
I think the general consensus was yes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to watch it and probably count it myself.
Old 10-23-15, 08:25 PM

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

i hit the magic 100 viewings today. my 100th film was the hammer classic curse of the werewolf. i have the 2 dvd special steelbox edition from the UK
Old 10-23-15, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by hiccup
Would the wnuf Halloween special count for today's theme since it takes place in a haunted house or am I just reaching?

Planning on doubling up tonight with a first watch of the relic and a rewatch of killer klowns
Are you trying for 100% theme compliance? Because it sounds like you have the theme covered. But yes, I'd say it counts.
Originally Posted by exharrison
I think the general consensus was yes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to watch it and probably count it myself.
That's what I recall as well.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I was thinking about watching that too, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere as good as the 20's or 60's version.
Three versions? Hmmm, sounds like an interesting triple feature someday....
Old 10-23-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. My coworker was a truly great guy, and none of us EVER saw this coming. At the moment, we have no idea what could have possibly caused because he never came off as being particularly depressed. Guess it just goes to show that we all have our demons. Some just do a better job of hiding them than others. Here is an article about him...

http://patch.com/rhode-island/cranst...ton-cemetery-0

As for my injury, I'll be alright. Just have to muddle through a day and a half at work and then I am on vacation anyway. I've been alternating heat and ice in the area and downing Ibuprofen. I've had a couple of pulled muscles in my day, and those were much worse. I definitely lucked out with it just being a strain.
Old 10-23-15, 10:05 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just finished Dawn of the Dead, some days this is my favorite movie, it still entertains just as it did when i first saw it as a kid.

tomorrow starting at 3pm i'm hosting a Frank Henenlotter marathon - showing Brain Damage, Basket Case 1, Basket Case 2, Basket Case 3, Frankenhooker, and Bad Biology. throw in multiple pizza deliveries and beer, should be a good day.
Old 10-23-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. My coworker was a truly great guy, and none of us EVER saw this coming. At the moment, we have no idea what could have possibly caused because he never came off as being particularly depressed. Guess it just goes to show that we all have our demons. Some just do a better job of hiding them than others. Here is an article about him...

http://patch.com/rhode-island/cranst...ton-cemetery-0

As for my injury, I'll be alright. Just have to muddle through a day and a half at work and then I am on vacation anyway. I've been alternating heat and ice in the area and downing Ibuprofen. I've had a couple of pulled muscles in my day, and those were much worse. I definitely lucked out with it just being a strain.
I feel for you. In December it will be 2 years since a good friend of mine took his own life and it still doesn't seem real.

As for you, ice/heat and beers help those muscles
Old 10-23-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For the first time since I've started taking part in the challenge (I believe this is my 7th year) it looks like 100 might not happen. This is upsetting to me.
Old 10-23-15, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny how the universe operates, sometimes. Fade in: It's the the late '90s, and a young(er) nezumi is skimming the new arrivals wall at the local Blockbuster Video. VHS is already losing significant real estate on the shelves to this new format called "DVD" (maybe you've heard of it). There is, however, one VHS title that stands out on the shelves.

It's a movie called Breeders. The video slipcase features a gruesome-looking alien, but that's not what's intriguing about the case. The interesting thing is that the alien is done in bas-relief on the slipcase, meaning that the alien actually juts out from the shelves at passers-by. The gimmicky cover immediately sets off all sorts of warning sirens in my head. I don't even bother to read the copy on the back, but part of me is still a little curious about the movie. One thing is certain: the case must have been a nightmare for the employees to shelve.

Fast-forward to a couple of nights ago. I'm looking for something to watch before turning in, and I'm reading the synopses off the back of one of those budget horror movie collections where they shoehorn four, five movies to a disc. One movie, Deadly Instincts, seems to match my mood. After a few minutes of watching, I get suspicious and do a quick IMDb search. As it turns out, Deadly Instincts is an alternate title for - you guessed it - Breeders! As my younger self predicted, it's not a very good movie. I can't say that my life has grown richer for having seen it, but I feel as though I've solved another one of my life's many inconsequential mysteries.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.