Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-23-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by nezumi
It's funny how the universe operates, sometimes. Fade in: It's the the late '90s, and a young(er) nezumi is skimming the new arrivals wall at the local Blockbuster Video. VHS is already losing significant real estate on the shelves to this new format called "DVD" (maybe you've heard of it). There is, however, one VHS title that stands out on the shelves.

It's a movie called Breeders. The video slipcase features a gruesome-looking alien, but that's not what's intriguing about the case. The interesting thing is that the alien is done in bas-relief on the slipcase, meaning that the alien actually juts out from the shelves at passers-by. The gimmicky cover immediately sets off all sorts of warning sirens in my head. I don't even bother to read the copy on the back, but part of me is still a little curious about the movie. One thing is certain: the case must have been a nightmare for the employees to shelve.

Fast-forward to a couple of nights ago. I'm looking for something to watch before turning in, and I'm reading the synopses off the back of one of those budget horror movie collections where they shoehorn four, five movies to a disc. One movie, Deadly Instincts, seems to match my mood. After a few minutes of watching, I get suspicious and do a quick IMDb search. As it turns out, Deadly Instincts is an alternate title for - you guessed it - Breeders! As my younger self predicted, it's not a very good movie. I can't say that my life has grown richer for having seen it, but I feel as though I've solved another one of my life's many inconsequential mysteries.
And you can now order it on Blu-ray! Live comes full circle!!

Are wild cards still a thing? If they are I may have to use them to at least have a shot at 100
Old 10-23-15, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I just watched Bloodbath at the House of Death. I didn't really know anything about it, but I really liked it. It was dumb, but funny. It seemed to be really odd humour for 1984. And now I know where the ghost sex from Scary Movie 2 came from...
Old 10-24-15, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I just watched Bloodbath at the House of Death. I didn't really know anything about it, but I really liked it. It was dumb, but funny. It seemed to be really odd humour for 1984. And now I know where the ghost sex from Scary Movie 2 came from...
Is that Kenny Everett & Pamela Stephenson..? I need to see that, but can't ever remember long enough to track it down...
Old 10-24-15, 02:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I just watched the Descent, what a draining film. I had all ready seen it years ago, but it still scared the crap out of me. Honestly, I found it terrifying long before
Spoiler:
the monsters showed up.
This film makes me feel so claustrophobic, and the use of lighting, or lack thereof is so effective. Neil Marshall does a great job keeping the tension running strong, and just making things more intense as it goes on. I think it might be my scariest post-2000 movie.
I definitely agree about this one. I don't think Neil Marshall has made anything close to this yet, which is pretty disappointing (of course, he does a great job when he directs GoT). I've never seen another movie handle the claustrophobia as well as this one, not even Buried.

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Man...I love Sleepaway Camp every time I re-watch it.
One of my favorites! I first rented this in high school with some friends around Halloween, as we were just looking for a cheesy 80s movie. We were all incredibly surprised by this, and it's definitely warranted multiple viewings. I was also surprised at how much I liked the sequel.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Crimson Peak, despite the over the top set design and unbelievable period costumes, ended up working really nicely - worth seeing. Del Toro sometimes needs to be more subtle but ultimately it snapped into place well.
Agreed that Crimson Peak looks absolutely gorgeous, but I found the story to be incredibly weak -
Spoiler:
- and predictable. It might actually be the most predictable movie I have ever seen. Movies don't always have to keep you guessing, but so much of this movie presented key plot points as a twist, when it was painfully obvious from the start.

Originally Posted by orlmac
Did we decide that Odd Thomas qualifies?
What are the arguments for why this would not qualify? I understand that IMDb doesn't list this as horror, but despite IMDb calling it a comedy, I wouldn't have considered it as such either. It seems to have a ton of horror elements, and had moments that at least tried to be scary.
Old 10-24-15, 03:23 AM

I saw Crimson Peak on the weekend and it's been my favourite viewing of the challenge so far. I agree that it's predictable but I never thought it was trying not to be. It seemed to be obviously heavily implying or outright saying certain things early on so that the audience was well aware of them, but the point of it was to watch Edith discover it for herself. It didn't all work for me (eg the awful foreshadowing at the beginning), but the set design and atmosphere helped elevate some of the poorer elements, and I actually quite liked the characters and thought the acting was mostly good (surprising because I hate Jessica Chastain and Mia Wasikowska). More subtlety may have been nice, but then it might have changed the whole mood of the film.
Old 10-24-15, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
Did we decide that Odd Thomas qualifies?
Originally Posted by exharrison
I think the general consensus was yes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to watch it and probably count it myself.
Originally Posted by cwileyy
What are the arguments for why this would not qualify? I understand that IMDb doesn't list this as horror, but despite IMDb calling it a comedy, I wouldn't have considered it as such either. It seems to have a ton of horror elements, and had moments that at least tried to be scary.
I think it's "horror-y" enough to count, but I used a *WILDCARD* since neither IMDb, allmovie, nor moviedb call it "horror." You get three wildcards, and what else are you going to use them for, BTTF2?

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-24-15 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-24-15, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I think it's "horror-y" enough to count, but I used a *WILDCARD* since neither IMDb, allmovie, nor moviedb call it "horror." You get three wildcards, and what else are you going to use them for, BTTF2?
I don't know what you think of metacritics opinion but it lists Odd Thomas as Mystery, Thriller, Horror, Comedy

Counting BTTF2 with a wild card "Great Scott" That will unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum
Old 10-24-15, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
For the first time since I've started taking part in the challenge (I believe this is my 7th year) it looks like 100 might not happen. This is upsetting to me.
I think this is my 9th, and hitting 100 looks to be tough for me to hit also. I am on vacation after tomorrow, so I will have some days to really marathon watch but it will be a challenge.
Old 10-24-15, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 165 Likes on 122 Posts

I've lost track of how many years I've done this.

While I gave up on theme nights earlier in the month, today being mass marathon of the damned day, I plan to watch nothing but horror, stay up late too, plus today I will be going to a haunted hay ride.

I started the day with an episode of The Walking Dead, on AMC. It seems the more I see the show, the more I actually like it. Makes me want to start over from the beginning.
Old 10-24-15, 07:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

It's funny how the universe operates, sometimes. Fade in: It's the the late '90s, and a young(er) nezumi is skimming the new arrivals wall at the local Blockbuster Video. VHS is already losing significant real estate on the shelves to this new format called "DVD" (maybe you've heard of it). There is, however, one VHS title that stands out on the shelves.

It's a movie called Breeders. The video slipcase features a gruesome-looking alien, but that's not what's intriguing about the case. The interesting thing is that the alien is done in bas-relief on the slipcase, meaning that the alien actually juts out from the shelves at passers-by. The gimmicky cover immediately sets off all sorts of warning sirens in my head. I don't even bother to read the copy on the back, but part of me is still a little curious about the movie. One thing is certain: the case must have been a nightmare for the employees to shelve.

Fast-forward to a couple of nights ago. I'm looking for something to watch before turning in, and I'm reading the synopses off the back of one of those budget horror movie collections where they shoehorn four, five movies to a disc. One movie, Deadly Instincts, seems to match my mood. After a few minutes of watching, I get suspicious and do a quick IMDb search. As it turns out, Deadly Instincts is an alternate title for - you guessed it - Breeders! As my younger self predicted, it's not a very good movie. I can't say that my life has grown richer for having seen it, but I feel as though I've solved another one of my life's many inconsequential mysteries.
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Oddly enough, I gave Breeders a (probable) first time viewing the other day.

Like you said, not very good. Love the 'let's charge into danger with no planning or weapons' part.

I also wonder how they pitched this film to all the actresses. Director:
Spoiler:
"So in the first scene you get brutally raped and mauled, then you spend the rest of the film walking around completely naked. Oh, and you're ok with bathing with other women, right?"
Old 10-24-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
I don't know what you think of metacritics opinion but it lists Odd Thomas as Mystery, Thriller, Horror, Comedy
As I said, I think it's "horror-y" enough to count, so their classification sounds more correct to me than the three I linked. Maybe next year Chad will add it to the four choices already listed in the rules.

Originally Posted by Chad
What Counts?

If you're uncertain of the title's genre classification the IMDB and AllMovie are the go-to sources for determining its potential horror movie status.
Need more confirmation? A third and fourth option exists and that is FlickChart (requires free sign up) and TMDB.
Of course, any site is prone to the occasional error and if you feel that's the case asking in the discussion thread is advised.
Just keep in mind that the #1 deciding factor regarding what counts is you and you alone.
Old 10-24-15, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another thing about Odd Thomas, wasn't the book written by horror author, Dean Koontz?
Old 10-24-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The October curse is legit. I strained a muscle at work on Wednesday and am hurting pretty bad. Then, I found out today that a former coworker killed himself on Thursday morning. All in all, I am just a complete disaster right about now.
What a punch to the gut. I'm just now reading this and wanted to pass along that you and your affected family and friends will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 10-24-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the Arrow Video Blu-ray Disc of Hellgate last night. I really like that movie, not entirely sure why. Maybe because it crosses a lot of horror subgenres so I'm always entertained.

Anyway, if you've seen the DVD of Hellgate then you know what Arrow had to deal with. And they did a fantastic job. Still a little rough here and there but a truly great re-master. I highly recommend the BD.
Old 10-24-15, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I started the day with an episode of The Walking Dead, on AMC. It seems the more I see the show, the more I actually like it. Makes me want to start over from the beginning.
I used this year's challenge to finally watch this series that everybody I know keeps telling me to watch (I am not much of a TV person, I admit). I have watched all 5 seasons and the first two episodes of the 6th. The show ebs and flows, I find and though it's not mind blowing amazing (save for an episode or two) I've enjoyed the ride over all.
Old 10-24-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

I needed to watch something from the 1950s, so the first thing I found in my collection was THE VAMPIRE (1957), which turned out to be one of the very best first-time viewings I’ve seen for this challenge. I’m astounded that, in all my years of reading about and watching American 1950s horror and sci-fi, I’d never been alerted to this one before. It’s probably one of the best 1950s horror movies ever. It’s not the only film to treat vampirism as an addiction, but it’s probably the first. In it, a medical doctor accidentally takes an experimental pill that becomes addictive. The side effect is that it turns him into a Mr. Hyde-type monster who drinks blood from victims like a vampire. And he has to take the pill every night or he goes through excruciating withdrawal pains, wonderfully acted by John Beal as the doctor. This creates great problems for the doctor’s relationship with his adolescent daughter. (He’s a single parent.) It’s all set in contemporary suburban California and there are a bunch of great character actors on hand, including Kenneth Tobey (THE THING), Coleen Gray (THE LEECH WOMAN), Dabbs Greer (HOUSE OF WAX) and James Griffith (THE AMAZING TRANSPARENT MAN). Seek it out.

Another great first-time viewing followed: VAMPIRE VS. VAMPIRE (1989), a Hong Kong horror comedy featuring ghosts, hopping vampires, devout Christian nuns and a real western-style vampire (played by a westerner). At the heart of it is a Taoist priest played by Lam Ching-Ying from the MR. VAMPIRE films. It’s fast-paced, incredibly imaginative and filled with surprisingly good special effects. There’s even a humorous “Little Vampire” played by a boy (he couldn’t be more than 7 or 8) in full hopping vampire/living dead costume and white makeup and he becomes the sidekick and helpmate to the Taoist priest and his two hapless students (one of whom is played by the very agile and acrobatic kung fu actor Chin Siu-Ho). It’s all about what happens when vicious vampire bats infest a church and a nearby archaeological dig turns up the corpse of a western priest-turned-vampire, which is then inadvertently brought to life. Good stuff.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-27-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-24-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
just finished Dawn of the Dead, some days this is my favorite movie, it still entertains just as it did when i first saw it as a kid.

tomorrow starting at 3pm i'm hosting a Frank Henenlotter marathon - showing Brain Damage, Basket Case 1, Basket Case 2, Basket Case 3, Frankenhooker, and Bad Biology. throw in multiple pizza deliveries and beer, should be a good day.
Watch Brain Damage after Basket Case.
And maybe even Frankenhooker before BC2&3 as well...
Old 10-24-15, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today's theme always confuses me. If I read the description correctly, I watch a double feature and whatever else I want and the theme is met. So it's like two themes in one day. Double feature and "Watch Whatever"
Old 10-24-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Today's theme always confuses me. If I read the description correctly, I watch a double feature and whatever else I want and the theme is met. So it's like two themes in one day. Double feature and "Watch Whatever"
I think the way it was explained was that you have to watch at least 1 movie that was played as a double feature (list in first post). Although you are encouraged to watch at least 2 movies today you only need the one to fulfill todays theme.
Old 10-24-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sorry but Breeders is fun bad. You have no soul.
Old 10-24-15, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Watch Brain Damage after Basket Case.
And maybe even Frankenhooker before BC2&3 as well...
Wrong! There is never a time or reason to watch Frankenhooker.
Old 10-24-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it's been I went into it with low expectations, but I just had a surprisingly good first time view in Knights of Badassdom, on Netflix.
Old 10-24-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

As I said, I think it's "horror-y" enough to count, so their classification sounds more correct to me than the three I linked. Maybe next year Chad will add it to the four choices already listed in the rules.
Originally Posted by Chad
Just keep in mind that the #1 deciding factor regarding what counts is you and you alone.
With the deciding factor being the watcher, I think finding it listed as horror in RT as well as the viewer feeling like it fits, it should be enough. Also, as another member pointed it out TMDB has horror as one of its keywords for whatever it is worth. When I asked earlier this month, I was planning on watching it and then didn't see horror on IMDB or AllMovies. If anyone objected, I would wildcard it, but most seemed to think it fit well enough. At this point, the public opinion seems to support it and I don't think anyone should be concerned about counting it.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Another thing about Odd Thomas, wasn't the book written by horror author, Dean Koontz?
It was. I'm reading it for the novel part of the challenge.

Originally Posted by Trevor
What if you win it from this challenge? I wouldn't want to disrespect the prizes donated by the awesome GoldenWheels.
Old 10-24-15, 01:47 PM

i keed, i keed!

I used to love GoldenWheels. Then he sent me Frankenhooker.....
Old 10-24-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 812 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMat

Counting BTTF2 with a wild card "Great Scott" That will unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum
Not that it needs any more confirmation, but....

It's had articles in Rue Morgue and Fangoria, Horrorpedia, i09, and countless others refer to it as a "horror film".

Maybe next year Chad will add it to the four choices already listed in the rules.
Sure, I can do that.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Sorry, that's an oversight on my part. The "watch whatever" is pre 2014 theme nights when there was no actual theme attached to the day. The intention with the current theme attached is to watch at least one of the movies on the drive-in double features list.

Originally Posted by Trevor
But...

Spoiler:

Exploding prostitutes ...from smoking Super Crack!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.