Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Having a hard time getting in the mood today. Inter company job interview tomorrow. Not much of a pay bump but in the positions after this one you start seeing decent increases.
Not in the mood myself tonight, so just watching what I want, without worrying about focusing on horror tonight. Got in a couple movies earlier today anyways.
Old 10-15-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

One thing I've discovered: when watching silent movies on Youtube, if you turn off the background track and substitute the Interstellar or Koyaanisqatsi soundtracks, the viewing experience is vastly improved.
Old 10-15-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
It's all about delegating.
Fair enough. It would likely be the only way to effectively manage having multiple.
Old 10-15-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

About to watch my first movie of the challenge by way of viewster. Wish me luck!

Originally Posted by Gobear
One thing I've discovered: when watching silent movies on Youtube, if you turn off the background track and substitute the Interstellar or Koyaanisqatsi soundtracks, the viewing experience is vastly improved.
Yeah I did that with Faust playing to Zimmer's Thin Red Line sndtrk. Great experience.
Old 10-15-15, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Midweek reminder.

Originally Posted by Chad

The Sunday Night Trivia Question 2. (+ Bonus Giveaway)

This one might sound familiar, but this time there's an incentive, and the potential of having two winners:

Name 3 - 5 of your favorite horror movies to watch on Halloween.

That's it. No right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

And for those that already answered when I originally posted it 10/7, you are already entered.

You're playing for a HamiltonBook.com Super Prize Pack #1:

Spoiler:

- Chilling Classics 50 Movie Pack
- Legends of Horror 50 Movie Pack
- Twins of Evil
- Hands of the Ripper
- Frankenhooker
- Mark of the Devil (Combo pack)
- Contamination (Combo pack)
- Happiness of the Katakuris (Combo pack)
- Eaten Alive (Combo pack)
- Sleepaway Camp II (Combo Pack)
- Editor (Combo pack)
- Lifeforce (Combo pack)
- Toolboox Murders 2 (BLU)
- Cellar Dweller/Catacombs (BLU)
- Tentacles/Reptilicus (BLU)
- From a Whisper to a Scream (BLU)
- Blacula/Scream Blacula, Scream (BLU)
- Outing/Godsend (BLU)
- Ghoulies/Ghoulies 2 (BLU)

Courtesy of...

THE BONUS PART

Write a sentence or three on at least 2 of your answers about why you feel it's a good horror movie, or why it's great to watch on Halloween.

If you choose to accept the bonus, you're entered for your pick of one of the following Blu-rays:

- Bloody Birthday (Severin) (Blu-ray)
- Savage Weekend (Kino Lorber) (Blu-ray)
- Turkey Shoot (Severin) (Blu-ray)
- Nightmare Weekend (Exploitation.TV) (Blu-ray)
- Spasmo (Scorpion Releasing) (Blu-ray)
- The Sender (Olive Films) (Blu-ray)

Spoiler:

Courtesy of...

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck.

Old 10-15-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

This weekend is gonna be tough for me to watch stuff. Friday and Saturday night, I've got wrestling shows lined up. On Sunday, I'm heading up to Worcester MA for the Rock and Shock horror convention. I won a pair of tickets, and have never been. I genuinely can't wait to check it out.
Old 10-15-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
This weekend is gonna be tough for me to watch stuff. Friday and Saturday night, I've got wrestling shows lined up. On Sunday, I'm heading up to Worcester MA for the Rock and Shock horror convention. I won a pair of tickets, and have never been. I genuinely can't wait to check it out.
Sounds fun. Hope you have fun. I've been enjoying WWE Network.
Old 10-15-15, 07:37 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
You own some hospitals? That actually sounds like a lot of work to me.

can be if the hospital administrators have issues.
Old 10-15-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
I'm surprised by the reactions I've been reading regarding Candyman. Sure, it's not a classic, but I saw it for the first time only recently and thought it was pretty solid.
Likewise. It'd already be worth watching for the fame (is it the most famous "call" from a horror film?) and the black villain, but it's also fairly well thought through. And, aside from a few potentially definitely-supernatural elements - kidnap & keeping of the child for one - there's the great possibility (as in many such films) that she's just insane and hallucinating.
Old 10-15-15, 08:09 PM

The Invisible Man Returns is excellent. Easily (nearly) the equal of the first, and it's fascinating to hear Vincent Price's not-quite-yet famous voice* from... somewhere. The plot is interesting, and the resolution reasonable. Science seems shakey, but that's forgivable. Plus, the dog barking was very helpful in fending of small-person nightmares the other day, so that's good!

*My daughter said she liked the voice, and wanted to hear more from him; I said 'as luck would have it...'
Old 10-15-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Sounds fun. Hope you have fun. I've been enjoying WWE Network.
I don't have a ton of money to spend, but I'll have a bit in case something catches my eye. It'll be a blast either way, I'm sure.
Old 10-15-15, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
My wife hates horror films, but she agreed to watch The Babadook with me tonight. She was freaking out and cringing in fear constantly, and her little screams made my daughter Elise upset. Jen went downstairs to comfort her, and in telling her why she was scared it made Elise even more upset.

As they hugged each other on the couch, both almost crying, I crept downstairs, turned out the lights and loudly whispered "baba dook dook".

Their screams may have woke the neighbors.
You should have YouTubed that lol.

Originally Posted by clckworang
It fit the theme and represented a few different much-needed slots on the checklist, so I watched Texas Chainsaw (2013) in 3D. It was my second time seeing it, and I have to admit, with a bit of guilt, that I actually kind of like it. No, it's nowhere near the original and is in no way a great movie. It does have a few cringe worthy moments, but I think it's a very watchable movie. I much prefer it to the remake.
I don't think I ever heard that before lol. I thought the remake was one of the better remakes made. And that 3D was pure garbage with some of the worst acting ever. I have no idea, outside of wanting a paycheck, that the originals would want to be in this.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Got to see an early screening of Crimson Peak tonight - it's good, not amazing but it's visually incredible (big surprise there, right?) and has good performances. This isn't the cgi ghost fest the trailers would leave you to believe it is

Good to hear. I am really excited to watch this (and curious about the last Paranormal Activity due out).

Caught The Battery and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Tried to wash it down with [REC] 4: Apocalypse and it did nothing. Nothing!
Is any of the [REC] movies after the 1st any good? And yeah, I do agree Battery does leave a sour taste. Overhyped for what it is.

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
So far my favorite movie of the challenge has been Eli Roth's Knock Knock. Not only would it make you think twice in ever cheating but Keanu Reeves gave an incredible performance. A mix of a home invasion with 2 psychopaths.
Interesting. Didn't hear a lot of good things once it was actually out, except Reeves acts like Nick Cage. I am interested in watching, though.

Anyone else order the Hellraiser: The Scarlet Box Limited Edition Trilogy, or plan to? Couldn't think of a better way to use Arrow points I'd accumulated. For once my procrastination didn't get in my way, despite ordering literally a day before it went OOP on their website yesterday.

According to Arrow there's still limited stock at Amazon UK, Zavvi, and HMV.

This looks amazing and I wish I knew about this. How much did it cost?

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I think I'm out for the rest of the challenge. I'm going to keep watching horror but I'm just not interested in updating my list anymore or following the horror threads.

I def know the feeling. Have to update my list quite a bit and once out of the thread for a day or so, feels like a chore to go through sometimes.
Old 10-15-15, 11:51 PM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Is any of the [REC] movies after the 1st any good?
The second one was excellent. As good as the first, maybe even better.

Here's the DVDTalk review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/49897/2/
Old 10-16-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is any of the [REC] movies after the 1st any good? And yeah, I do agree Battery does leave a sour taste. Overhyped for what it is.
First 2 are amazing, 3rd is good but very different in tone and style and 4 is okay.
Old 10-16-15, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I don't think I ever heard that before lol. I thought the remake was one of the better remakes made. And that 3D was pure garbage with some of the worst acting ever. I have no idea, outside of wanting a paycheck, that the originals would want to be in this.

I know that my opinion on Texas Chainsaw wouldn't be the most popular one, and I certainly understand the opposing view. It's one of those that I can't really explain why I enjoyed it as much as I did. As for the remake, I disliked it quite a lot but will admit being a bit biased because the original is one of my all-time favorite movies.

I would recommend the first [REC] sequel. It goes into more detail on what is really going on and takes things in a slightly different direction. The third one was OK. It's a big stylistic change. Most notably, it does away with the found footage style. I thought it was a definite step down from the first two, though.
Old 10-16-15, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
First 2 are amazing, 3rd is good but very different in tone and style and 4 is okay.
He said it a lot more succinctly than I did.
Old 10-16-15, 12:47 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
The second one was excellent. As good as the first, maybe even better.
Yes, [Rec] 2 is better than the first in my opinion but partially because it builds so well on the original that they're practically one overlong film.
Old 10-16-15, 12:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I watched Psycho Cop and Psycho Cop Returns, both on Youtube, not great but they have a nostalgic late night HBO feel and the the cop actor is sufficiently creepy - I think Returns is slightly better (the urban setting is nice) even if Returns is 'nothing to write home about' (and awesomely misogynistic - all the female characters are literally strippers). They have a dated sleazy action slasher feel with corny acting and awful one liners.
I've never seen the original Psycho Cop, but have not heard good things about it. The sequel on the other hand, I have seen, and have loved since I first caught it on cable back in the 90's. It's a hoot.

I looked it up on Youtube and am happy to see the unrated version is on there, since previously only the R version was available. I've been holding onto my unrated vhs release, since it's so tough to find. I wish it'd get a legit dvd or blu-ray release.

Anyway, the film is a lot of fun, if you're in the right mindset for it and not expecting anything serious or scary. And avoid the R version at all costs since it literally cuts out all the gore, and a lot of the sex and nudity. That was the only version I had seen until discovering the unrated vhs years later, and it was worth seeking out. The film is gruesome in the unrated version.

After a few nights off of movie viewing thanks to work and all. I put in a double feature tonight with The Evil Dead and Friday the 13th part VII: The New Blood.

I watched The Evil Dead on blu-ray, and it was the first time watching the movie in quite a few years. I'm happy to report it's easily the best transfer of the film around and puts the old remastered dvd/vhs releases to shame. I hated those earlier remastered transfers and it made the movie a less scary(way to bright, making the effects look faker) as a result.

However, the film did creep me out quite a bit on blu-ray, and those who retroactively claim the film is a comedy and intended to be campy and funny are delusional!

In case people forgot,the end credits list the film as "The Ultimate Experience In Grueling Terror", and that's exactly what they achieved with unrelenting horror from beginning to end. It's not played for laughs.

The sequels are intentionally funny and meant to be comedy/horror/fantasy. But the original is dark and grisly and just doesn't let up. And I can see why it's still rated NC-17, because of how intense and graphic it is, even if effects have advanced since then. Because of the raw nature of it all, it just feels much more visceral and nasty than something from today.

On the other spectrum, I decided to view the 7th Friday the 13th, since it's been years since I've last seen it. The film itself has never been a favorite of mine, but I do enjoy the characters(Tina is awesome, and Melissa is a great love to hate character), and it does have some cool scenes/moments. But overall, it just doesn't move forward with any real suspense or anything, and the score is terrible(it's like the gong show).

I prefer the earliest Friday the 13th films overall for suspense, atmosphere and shocks, with part 6 being the last great, scary,but fun entry in the series. It's just a shame the MPAA neutered the films to be goreless in order to get an R. None of the original films are unwatchable though. The later ones just are lacking something. So count me in the camp of preferring Jason when he was alive and a wild monster(part 3 has the scariest Jason I think). Zombie Jason is scary looking(and I really have to close/squint my eyes at him in part 7, since I'll have nightmares), but not as much fun in scares and atmosphere as living Jason.
Old 10-16-15, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

starting my morning off right!
3 Headed Shark attack
Old 10-16-15, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started off my day by finishing a documentary I started last week but never got around to finishing, American Ghost Hunter, on Hulu. It was decent.
Old 10-16-15, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since on Sunday, I won't get much viewing in, due to my Gram's memorial, today and tomorrow I'm making up for it with horror marathons.
Old 10-16-15, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so 3 headed shark attack was pretty bad and i liked the two headed shark but we did have danny trejo and rvd so thats a plush...i dont even know where to go from here
Old 10-16-15, 07:53 AM

Amicus' Asylum was a pretty decent anthology, and the 'interviewing inmates' framing sequence was such a good idea that I'm surprised not to remember it being used before. I did not understand the purpose of indentifying Dr. Starr, though. Nor precisely who the new head was, given the mini-twist at the end...
Old 10-16-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm too busy thinking about my gram's memorial service in a couple days to get into horror, so taking a couple day break.
Old 10-16-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Trying to get over a pretty bad cold right now. Did manage to make it to a theater screening of Slumber Party Massacre. Lots of fun with a crowd that was really into it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.