Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 04:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Extremely happy that I got in some Hammer Horror this year! First time viewings of Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula and Dracula Has Risen From the Grave were all a success.

Now I understand all the Peter Cushing love.
Old 10-13-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I used to think that, but after watching Jackson's(theatrical) version last month for the first time in years. I tried to look to where cuts could be made to trim it down, and only found maybe 5 minutes at best could be trimmed without ruining the films attempt at being epic. I took many bathroom breaks during the film and it did feel like it was much longer than three hours. But I just couldn't see where huge cuts could be made to drastically reduce the running time. At best, an intermission could be used after Kong's capture and before the finale since it's a nice segue way between the two sections. Or it could be divided into three 'acts' so to speak, with brief breaks between those sections of the film.
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
They could cut the whole ice skating scene. I don't remember how long that was but I do remember it made me want to walk out of the theater it was so dumb.
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I loved the ice-skating scene and think it's one of the best scenes in the movie. I was in Central Park on a night when they were shooting MONEY TRAIN there. They had lights aimed at the Plaza Hotel to illuminate it for the background of the shot. As a result, the ice on the pond in that part of the park, which was completely frozen, was lit up also and reflected back some of the light. That's where the KING KONG scene takes place. It looked like a movie set, which essentially it was. When I saw that scene in KING KONG, I was astounded at how closely it resembled the actual place on that night. Granted, that's an odd reason to like a scene, but there you go.
I always thought the insect battle could've been easily cut.
Old 10-13-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
But Jackson was big on the game of "what if" regarding the famous lost insect scene from the original. He even had Weta do a recreation of it (that's an extra on one of the original Kong's home releases). There's no way he'd cut out his balls-out tribute to it in his remake.
Old 10-13-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Shrunken Heads was interesting - voodoo tacked onto a near-comedy (but not quite) gang violence caper film mostly-starring three children. Who decided that crazy mix would make a good film..?! It started off well enough, but non-horror-y with the gang and the kids, then added proper comics (Bloodlines, though...) being read, and then stepped sideways into magic and, surprise, shrunken heads after a saw-it-coming-but-didn't-quite-believe-it mini-twist. Many, many Elfmans in the cast and crew!
Old 10-13-15, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey good folks,

Been off to a rough start due to family visiting, baseball playoffs, shopping for a costume etc. Though I'm getting back into it- since I have nothing planned to do besides work and staying home this week. With that said I plan to take my challenge on the road. Packed some blu rays & a hard drive while getting ready to go to my bro's.

Part of my horror challenge goal is to meet a horror personality. Couldn't have gotten better than meeting Bruce Campbell last night as he was in promotion for his new tv series, Ash vs. Evil....Groovy!

photo 2172a9af-1c29-4f0b-b700-80bdce58f8c4_zpskbezin4q.jpg

Anyway back to the challenge, next up The Editor
Old 10-13-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

^You get to meet everybody, man.

BTW (In relation to Ash vs ED) Starz! has been sporadically airing the original movie here and there. Nothing really mindblowing about that, it's just that I'm so used to Starz! being the Disney-Movie channel as of late. And it's also a headscratcher to me that the original Evil Dead is still rated NC-17!

I saw a promo saying that Bruce is going to introduce each installment of the trilogy leading up to the premier of the show. Should be fun.
Old 10-13-15, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I would consider it horror since it is technically a home invasion film. The original is one of my favorite uncomfortable movies. Another of those, "what would you do in this situation" movies.

The remake sucks balls compared to the original though. It just does not have the atmosphere the original has though it tries very hard.
It is horror, to me lol. But I dunno, I found the original just annoying. The characters, I just had so much hate for. The guy was a dick to his woman and was in his own world. The woman was smart at times (just give them the man who did commit a crime) but she also was annoying. At least in the remake the characters were bearable, but the bad guys were better in the original.
Old 10-13-15, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
But Jackson was big on the game of "what if" regarding the famous lost insect scene from the original. He even had Weta do a recreation of it (that's an extra on one of the original Kong's home releases). There's no way he'd cut out his balls-out tribute to it in his remake.
Fair enough, but I still think the film itself would've been more watchable without it.

Is it this kind of thinking that stretched The Hobbit into three films?
Old 10-13-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
Hey good folks,

Been off to a rough start due to family visiting, baseball playoffs, shopping for a costume etc. Though I'm getting back into it- since I have nothing planned to do besides work and staying home this week. With that said I plan to take my challenge on the road. Packed some blu rays & a hard drive while getting ready to go to my bro's.

Part of my horror challenge goal is to meet a horror personality. Couldn't have gotten better than meeting Bruce Campbell last night as he was in promotion for his new tv series, Ash vs. Evil....Groovy!

photo 2172a9af-1c29-4f0b-b700-80bdce58f8c4_zpskbezin4q.jpg

Anyway back to the challenge, next up The Editor
Was this in Los Angeles by any chance?
Old 10-13-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://kreepykastle.com/tv-livestream/

They're showing The Legend of Sleepy Hollow right now, starring Jeff Goldblum
Old 10-13-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Fair enough, but I still think the film itself would've been more watchable without it.
I agree. Also cut ~50% of the trek to find Miss Darrow, some of Kong defending her from various predators, some of the arrival on Skull Island, easily half of the sequence prior to boarding the ship, chunks of the arrival home with Kong, and the rather tiresome skating scene. Sure, the film is as much a homage to the original as it is a remake but it's at least a hour too long. It's not that it's a "bad" film as it's not. It just frequently feels bloated.

Is it this kind of thinking that stretched The Hobbit into three films?
That and also working in portions of The Silmarillion and information from The Lord of the Rings appendices since he knew this would be the last chance to visit that world.
Old 10-13-15, 07:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

As I read your post the fruit fly that I've been battling for a couple days made his first appearance of the day and flew over the screen. Missed him. Still losing.
Old 10-13-15, 07:31 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CUBS WIN to celebrate i cracked open my Cannibal Holocaust blu.
Old 10-13-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
CUBS WIN to celebrate i cracked open my Cannibal Holocaust blu.
With the Cardinals out of the playoffs earlier than usual, I have all kinds of time to watch horror films.
Old 10-13-15, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omike
To quote somebody in an earlier post "Get outta my head!"

I also liked both more than I thought I would but I was most impressed with Don't Look in the Basement. The acting was good for a low budget, regional effort and although for a while I thought it was too talky the interactions between the characters were nicely used to create an increasing feeling of uneasiness.
And yeah, I also thought it seemed too talky at first (I think it would've been less a problem if the acting and script were better, but I also think both were decent considering the budget), but it definitely helped create a good atmosphere.

There are a few movies on those Video Nasties list which have surprised me. For the most part, most of them are just boring and badly made with a couple of gory scenes, so it's nice when I come across ones that are genuinely good.
Old 10-13-15, 09:41 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i finished watching a virgin among the living dead. this was a surreal jess franco lesbian vampire film. very over the top. Watch out for the large black phallus!
Old 10-13-15, 10:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

My wife hates horror films, but she agreed to watch The Babadook with me tonight. She was freaking out and cringing in fear constantly, and her little screams made my daughter Elise upset. Jen went downstairs to comfort her, and in telling her why she was scared it made Elise even more upset.

As they hugged each other on the couch, both almost crying, I crept downstairs, turned out the lights and loudly whispered "baba dook dook".

Their screams may have woke the neighbors.
Old 10-13-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

It fit the theme and represented a few different much-needed slots on the checklist, so I watched Texas Chainsaw (2013) in 3D. It was my second time seeing it, and I have to admit, with a bit of guilt, that I actually kind of like it. No, it's nowhere near the original and is in no way a great movie. It does have a few cringe worthy moments, but I think it's a very watchable movie. I much prefer it to the remake.
Old 10-13-15, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
It fit the theme and represented a few different much-needed slots on the checklist, so I watched Texas Chainsaw (2013) in 3D. It was my second time seeing it, and I have to admit, with a bit of guilt, that I actually kind of like it. No, it's nowhere near the original and is in no way a great movie. It does have a few cringe worthy moments, but I think it's a very watchable movie. I much prefer it to the remake.
I've got that one queued up to watch on the 25th (slasher day) and was noticing that is rich with checklist hits!
Old 10-13-15, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That scene isn't terrible, but it does have some stupid moments(mainly shooting the bugs off with the machine gun) and is a bit too long. But it could possibly be trimmed down a little bit. I just don't know how too get around the guns bit.

Ironically, Jackson claimed he'd make a two hour or less movie after finishing the Rings movies, and he hasn't kept that word yet!
Old 10-13-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Got to see an early screening of Crimson Peak tonight - it's good, not amazing but it's visually incredible (big surprise there, right?) and has good performances. This isn't the cgi ghost fest the trailers would leave you to believe it is
Old 10-13-15, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Caught The Battery and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Tried to wash it down with [REC] 4: Apocalypse and it did nothing. Nothing!
Old 10-14-15, 12:31 AM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
My wife hates horror films, but she agreed to watch The Babadook with me tonight. She was freaking out and cringing in fear constantly, and her little screams made my daughter Elise upset. Jen went downstairs to comfort her, and in telling her why she was scared it made Elise even more upset.

As they hugged each other on the couch, both almost crying, I crept downstairs, turned out the lights and loudly whispered "baba dook dook".

Their screams may have woke the neighbors.
You are a terrible, terrible, non-empathetic person.

Also, did you not miss a "dook"!?
Old 10-14-15, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just finished a decent first time view, Alligator X, on Hulu. Not great, but then, I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane, as I knew it would be a mindless giant monster movie, and it did deliver on that front.
Old 10-14-15, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Day 13 is posted - The Velvet Vampire, Crimson Peak and The Hand! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...15-day-13.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.