Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Trevor
Let me know if you get it to work. I couldn't, although I didn't put much effort into it.
Two years ago, easy. Last year... it worked once, and then gave me quite an academically-interesting array of excuses. I literally had eight separate reasons displayed at various times for why it wouldn't work.... which is quite impressive, if irritating.

So... I'll check tomorrow and see what it thinks in an odd-numbered year.
Old 10-01-15, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I started with Carnival of Souls (my thoughts are on the subset film discussion thread) and A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). This was my first time viewing the film, and I can see why it is a horror classic. Despite some goofy moments, Freddy Krueger is terrifying - this weaselly pervert with supernatural powers. Two of the death scenes are absolutely grotesque, and I can imagine less squeamish kids rewinding their tapes with watch them again and again.

However, I'm very squeamish so I had to watch through my fingers like a frightened toddler. I was struck by how visceral and off-putting the deaths were. Freddy attacks the kids at their most vulnerable, and basically molests them before the kill. There's a lot of rape and molestation imagery in the film. I wasn't expecting that.

I was super excited to see Ronee Blakley, Lin Shaye, and the ever-exasperated John Saxon show up.
Old 10-01-15, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks alyxstarr for the movies you provided and I especially appreciate some of the ones that have english subtitles even on non foreign titles as I'm hard of hearing so it makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted by ntnon
Two years ago, easy. Last year... it worked once, and then gave me quite an academically-interesting array of excuses. I literally had eight separate reasons displayed at various times for why it wouldn't work.... which is quite impressive, if irritating.

So... I'll check tomorrow and see what it thinks in an odd-numbered year.
I just tried on my ipad as that is where I do most of my viewing for the challenge and I do have a photon flash browser app that I paid for that I'll use as a backup but it seems to be working on the regular internet for ipad so far.
Old 10-01-15, 12:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Loved Carnival of Souls, wish we had more films with that lead actress.

Also love seeing so many newbies here and in the list thread. I wonder if Chad brings more new members to this forum than all of Internet Brand's marketing efforts combined?
Old 10-01-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Man the movie They is so dry and boring. Really wanting to just hit stop and go to bed. Stupid checklist is letting me down greatly with what can be streamed on Netflix.
Old 10-01-15, 02:17 AM

I am going to try to resist the checklist next year. I plan the challenge almost a month in advance every year and then fill in the gaps when the checklist is finalised, but it might be fun to do a challenge which I don't plan in advance.. But my completionist self likes these things too much.
Old 10-01-15, 04:46 AM

First horror dream. Can't quite remember where exactly I am or who I'm with, but a flood surge hits this group of people I'm with. We're all backed up against a wall as the water rises and people are separated. Someone is screaming for their baby. A few of us swim out into the water looking for her. I feel something against my body and grab a small body. Pulling it to the surface, I'm relieved to find that it's just a doll. But it's super emotional and everyone is crying.

Later, as we're still swimming around what used to be a parking lot, we notice that sharks are everywhere. The water is somehow crystal clear and I can see swarms of white tip sharks circling those of us who've separated from the main group of survivors.

I manage to swim back to that group, now barricading an old supermarket, and find my family, which now includes Zoey Daschenal (sp ?). As we prepare for an expected huge surge of water and sharks, we find a small utility panel that my family thinks we can all fit inside. The three of them can contort inside of it, just barely, but there is no room for me. I assure them I'll be ok as I close them inside, crying and knowing that I'll never see them again.
Old 10-01-15, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I woke up early, so thought I'd get a little early morning challenge viewing in. I started the day with an episode of 100 Years of Horror on Mutants through horror film history.
Old 10-01-15, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so I finally wake up happily to take out my dog at 430 so i can watch a movie and tv wont turn on....
Old 10-01-15, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by terrycloth
so I finally wake up happily to take out my dog at 430 so i can watch a movie and tv wont turn on....
Hopefully you found the problem or have a backup.

We only have two TVs, but at least 17 devices/screens that could be used for viewing.
Old 10-01-15, 07:33 AM

Received 528 Likes on 376 Posts

If anyone's looking for family-friendly stuff, at 3AM every night the Disney Channel airs a different movie.

10/2 - Halloweentown
10/3 - Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge
10/4 - Halloweentown High
10/5 - Return to Halloweentown
10/6 - Can of Worms
10/7 - Now You See It
10/8 - The Scream Team
10/9 - Mostly Ghostly
10/10 - Mostly Ghostly 2: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend?
10/11 - Twitches
10/12 - Twitches Too
10/13 - Under Wraps
10/14 - Don't Look Under the Bed
10/15 - Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistin...id.do?aid=disn

Tonight at 8PM is My Babysitter's A Vampire. That's a good one.
Old 10-01-15, 08:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Just posted my thoughts on Carnival of Souls and Night of the Demon on the discussions. Neither really my thing, but redeeming qualities in both.

Watched House of Frankenstein (1944), which was pretty standard for the time period as far as I've seen. Fairly short movie, but holds back all action until the last 15 minutes or so.

Also watched Bloodsucking Bastards (2015), more my speed and did not disappoint. It's like Office Space, with vampires. Would definitely recommend to horror comedy fans.
Old 10-01-15, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
If anyone's looking for family-friendly stuff, at 3AM every night the Disney Channel airs a different movie..
Thanks for the list.

While I'm glad for variety, I question the logic of "family friendly" films at 3am...!
Old 10-01-15, 08:37 AM

So is Jurassic World going to count? I'm guessing not. But when I compare it to other monster movies, it's got more blood and kills than most of them.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 10-01-15 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-01-15, 08:43 AM

While I'm glad for variety, I question the logic of "family friendly" films at 3am...!
DVR it for later. My niece comes over on the weekends and takes over the TV. I'll get her to watch some of these Disney movies.

I'm hoping they air Tower Of Terror sometime this month.
Old 10-01-15, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 219 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
J

Also watched Bloodsucking Bastards (2015), more my speed and did not disappoint. It's like Office Space, with vampires. Would definitely recommend to horror comedy fans.
I watched that too. Entertaining light comedy with some good gore. Fran Kranz is part of Joss Whedon's repertory group. He played the stoner in The Cabin in the Woods, and the villain played Prince Oberyn on Game of Thrones and also worked for Joss in a guest role on Buffy.

I also watched Cooties, another gory comedy filled with recognizable actors from 30 Rock, SNL, Lost, The Newsroom, and The Office, plus Elijah Wood in the lead. It was even more hilarious than Bloodsucking Bastards and much bloodier. The set up is that tainted chicken tenders turn children into flesh-eating monsters who start eating any adults they can find. Gobear sez check it out.
Old 10-01-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I just ordered Blood Punch (2013) which is a bit of a festival darling and seems to have garnered a solid rep over the last couple of years. For tonight I'll probably be delving into my bigfoot box set for Sasquatch - The Legend of Bigfoot (1977) and time permitting I'll follow it with...Absentia (2011), maybe, or the shortest movie I can find.
Old 10-01-15, 10:04 AM

So... I'll check [Google Drive on iPad] tomorrow and see what it thinks in an odd-numbered year.
Working fine today. Which is just as well, because Amazon Prime seems to have something dodgy...

It wouldn't support full screen, but the google subset played just fine on an iPad Mini. Thanks to Alyxstarr.
Old 10-01-15, 10:06 AM

First horror dream. Can't quite remember where exactly I am or who I'm with, but a flood surge hits this group of people I'm with. We're all backed up against a wall as the water rises and people are separated. Someone is screaming for their baby. A few of us swim out into the water looking for her. I feel something against my body and grab a small body. Pulling it to the surface, I'm relieved to find that it's just a doll. But it's super emotional and everyone is crying.

Later, as we're still swimming around what used to be a parking lot, we notice that sharks are everywhere. The water is somehow crystal clear and I can see swarms of white tip sharks circling those of us who've separated from the main group of survivors.

I manage to swim back to that group, now barricading an old supermarket, and find my family, which now includes Zoey Daschenal (sp ?). As we prepare for an expected huge surge of water and sharks, we find a small utility panel that my family thinks we can all fit inside. The three of them can contort inside of it, just barely, but there is no room for me. I assure them I'll be ok as I close them inside, crying and knowing that I'll never see them again.
I've been writing down all my dreams since 2003, but my recall is rubbish these days and my dreams are always really boring Closest I've had to a horror dream lately was one where The Hulk was staying at our place and we walked in on him masturbating

I also watched Cooties, another gory comedy filled with recognizable actors from 30 Rock, SNL, Lost, The Newsroom, and The Office, plus Elijah Wood in the lead. It was even more hilarious than Bloodsucking Bastards and much bloodier. The set up is that tainted chicken tenders turn children into flesh-eating monsters who start eating any adults they can find. Gobear sez check it out.
I had Cooties on my 'extra' watchlist (the one I go to if I have time to watch more than my main list) but everyone keeps saying good things about it so I might bump it up. Also have Bloodsucking Bastards on my main list, but didn't have much hope for that one. Feeling more positive about it now.

Also saw a Portal quote in a signature as I was scrolling through and you got me all excited.
Old 10-01-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

My "Curtains" prize and other acquisitions since last year's challenge. Hopefully I can get to them all.
Old 10-01-15, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by wishbone

My "Curtains" prize and other acquisitions since last year's challenge. Hopefully I can get to them all.
Unimportant trivia time: Sleepwalkers is where the 'sparks' part of my name came from.
Old 10-01-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
So is Jurassic World going to count? I'm guessing not. But when I compare it to other monster movies, it's got more blood and kills than most of them.
Killer dinosaurs chasing kids and one giant mega-saur. I'd count it!
Old 10-01-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,053 Likes on 867 Posts

I'm going to count reading this post on my list.
Old 10-01-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 219 Likes on 132 Posts

Just FYI, Amazon is having a horror-themed Kino-Lorber blu-ray sale

Old 10-01-15, 12:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Since I wasn't able to start last night I got up extra early this morning so I could fit a movie in before I left for work. I usually like to start (and finish) with some low budget cheese from the 50's or 60's and this year's first up was The Man Who Turned to Stone from 1957 and produced by Sam Katzman so you know it was thriftily made. The story concerns a social worker and a psychiatrist who investigate why so many healthy inmates in a girl's detention facility are dying of heart attacks. I liked the story and the makeup for the turning to stone part but the movie was never really very exciting. Even Victor Jory was low key (or just walking through his part). Still I like these kind of films so it was a good way to start off the challenge.

I've noticed that several B-movies from this period treat themes that are usually considered supernatural (like werewolves and vampires) as science based. I guess this was an attempt to bring the occult into the Atomic Age. In this case
Spoiler:
a group of scientists from the 1700's keep themselves alive by draining the life force from young women of child bearing age using a large tank of water and some electrical equipment with lots of lights. Similar in concept anyway to using the blood of virgins to keep ancient witches or warlocks alive.

This is part of a Mill Creek four movie set and I was pleasantly surprised to find two discs with two movies on each instead of the one disc that I was expecting.

I'm looking forward to Critters 2 and hopefully Night of the Demon this evening.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.