Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Darkgod
What would have been H. P Lovecraft's 125th birthday was yesterday. How about a night based on his films.
I know at one point, Call of Cthuhlu was on Netflix, and I would like to find
Dagon online.
Old 08-21-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

What would have been H. P Lovecraft's 125th birthday was yesterday. How about a night based on his films.
Lovecraft should totally be an annual staple item; maybe along with Poe.
Old 08-21-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Idea: For the '80s Video Companies theme night, could we not choose a different video company every year to shake it up a bit? Instead of throwing it open to pretty much everything that came out in the '80s, why not pick a company (Media, or Lightning, or Gorgon, or whatever) to provide a little more focus?

Here's a link to a list of various companies, and clicking on each of them brings up a link to a list of all of their releases.

Thoughts?
Pretty much what I suggested last year here.
and here's another helpful link of 1980s video companies criticonline.com
Old 08-21-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I know at one point, Call of Cthuhlu was on Netflix, and I would like to find
Dagon online.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I'd say it's about time for an encore; hasn't been used since 2009, and Poe since 2010. And wouldn't be a bad idea to combine the two because neither produce that many entries ...at least compared to the usual themes.

Also, just wanted to reiterate that I'm reserving the suggestions on post 2 for new suggestions only. That's why this one and others aren't being added, but ALL of the suggestions are definitely being heard. Promise.

Originally Posted by hbilly
Pretty much what I suggested last year here.
and here's another helpful link of 1980s video companies criticonline.com
It looks pretty promising that this will make a return, so we eventually need to decide on what studio/distributor we're gonna go with.

Last edited by Chad; 08-21-15 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-21-15, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chad
I could do something along the lines of the Asian Buffet only with European horror and divide it among the countries with links for each. Just an idea.
European Passport to Terror (or whatever it ends up being called) - France, 2, 3 / Italy, 2 / Netherlands / Norway / Sweden / Great Britain / Spain / Russia / Austria / Belgium / Czech Republic / Denmark / Finland / Germany / Greece / Hungary / Ireland / Luxembourg / Poland / Portugal / Romania / Turkey / BFI's Euro 100

Is this a suitable replacement for the 'Asian Buffet of Terrors'? Thoughts??????????????????????
Old 08-21-15, 08:26 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

European Passport to Terror (or whatever it ends up being called) - France, 2, 3 / Italy, 2 / Netherlands / Norway / Sweden / Great Britain / Spain / Russia / Austria / Belgium / Czech Republic / Denmark / Finland / Germany / Greece / Hungary / Ireland / Luxembourg / Poland / Portugal / Romania / Turkey / BFI's Euro 100

Is this a suitable replacement for the 'Asian Buffet of Terrors'? Thoughts??????????????????????
I like it; it seems a bit open ended but sometimes it's nice to have a really non-restrictive subset nights. If we wanted to narrow it then just using BFI's Euro 100 might do the trick.
Old 08-21-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Everyone keep an eye on your e-mails, Rifftrax just sent me a free $10 credit promo, no purchase necessary.
Old 08-21-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like it; it seems a bit open ended but sometimes it's nice to have a really non-restrictive subset nights. If we wanted to narrow it then just using BFI's Euro 100 might do the trick.
It is, but I wanted to include links to (almost) all the Euro countries so it would also bring attention to the ones that are lesser-known for horror (Turkey, Hungary, Czech Republic, etc.) that don't provide much in the way of entries. The BFI link was more or less just for the hell of it, and it's already been used twice before.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Everyone keep an eye on your e-mails, Rifftrax just sent me a free $10 credit promo, no purchase necessary.
Got one! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-21-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

It is, but I wanted to include links to (almost) all the Euro countries so it would also bring attention to the ones that are lesser-known for horror (Turkey, Hungary, Czech Republic, etc.) that don't provide much in the way of entries. The BFI link was more or less just for the hell of it, and it's already been used twice before.

How do you sign up for the chance to get the promo?

On another note, been itching to watch some horror lately.
Old 08-22-15, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
How do you sign up for the chance to get the promo?

On another note, been itching to watch some horror lately.
I got Ghosthouse for $3.33 shipped (it would have been free if I streamed it). I am not sure if you sign up now if they will give you the credit or not but at the very least I would make an account if you don't already hove one.

You can get either a dvd for $3.33 after credit.
Stream a movie with riff track
or download just the rifftrack for 3ish movies with $10 in credit.

I kind of wish I downloaded the the 3 riffs, but hey, not worries with syncing with the DVD.
Old 08-22-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that's a good idea. Maybe each year the region revolves so that it isn't the same in back to back years? Europe this year, Asia or South America another year?
Old 08-22-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I think that's a good idea. Maybe each year the region revolves so that it isn't the same in back to back years? Europe this year, Asia or South America another year?
I am not sure if I have ever seen a South American horror film...

Also anyone who used Image Shack in the past, looks like they turned all old images into ads.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10395406-post107.html

WTF?
Old 08-22-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa. Glad I switched exclusively to Photobucket for this challenge.

Speaking of South America, I just found my new favorite poster:

NSFW
Spoiler:

Unfortunately didn't get to use it in the banner.
Old 08-22-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, unless I hear some objections, I'm going to officially include all the mainstays along with Christopher Lee, the new European theme that'll replace the Asian Buffet, and move horror comedies to November 1st as a crossover:
  • Criterion Crossover
  • R.I.P. Christopher Lee
  • Werewolves (Full Moon Day)
  • Horror Anthologies
  • European Passport to Terror (see post #80)
  • Slashers, Giallos & Serial Killers
  • Vampires
  • Zombies
  • Supernatural
  • Demonic/Satanic on 'Devil's Night'
  • Halloween-Related (+ Samhain: An Evening of Celtic Horror)
  • Horror Comedies Crossover

And please vote for your favorite new themes on post 2 if you haven't already.

Last edited by Chad; 08-23-15 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-22-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure if I have ever seen a South American horror film...

WTF?
They're out there. Wikipedia has lists by country that may not be complete but are a start. Plus we could possibly include Mexico in there even if it isn't really South America. Just an idea
Old 08-23-15, 12:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just hope that my own sentimental favourite sub-genre: Made-For-TV Horror, still gets included. The 70's were the heyday for this type of film and I love movies in general from that era.
Old 08-23-15, 12:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Chad, I'm up for picking a movie. Would like Occult if it's available.
Old 08-23-15, 12:51 PM

I like this idea. I'm for it.
Old 08-23-15, 07:34 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Personally I think we should just stick with Christopher Lee for theme nights and reserve the rest of the recently passed for checklist entries. Nobody has anything near his filmography, and he's just in a class by himself.
Given that it's CHRISTOPHER LEE, I think he should get a day/weekend to himself AND ideally be the star of four subset picks: one a week.
Old 08-23-15, 07:38 PM

I agree.

And is there anyone obvious to pair up with Stephen King as more contemporary writers with many films based on their work..?
Old 08-23-15, 09:51 PM

It's the 75th Anniversary of, among (a few) others:

The Invisible Man Returns
The Mummy's Hand
Devil Bat
Black Friday
The Ape

Plus the ONE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY of a few, notably:

The Golem
Les Vampires (6h serial)
Old 08-24-15, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Volunteer some Subsets

BAttle Royale( Vs. Movies) Jason vs Freddy, Strippers vs Werewolves, Tucker and Dave vs Evil, Alien vs Predator)
When the color runs (B and W movies - The Mist, any Universal Monsters movie)
Sorry, forgot to include you among the subset volunteers earlier. That makes 7.

Originally Posted by pagefrance
I just hope that my own sentimental favourite sub-genre: Made-For-TV Horror, still gets included. The 70's were the heyday for this type of film and I love movies in general from that era.
It's gotten at least one previous vote.

Originally Posted by shellebelle
Hey Chad, I'm up for picking a movie. Would like Occult if it's available.
Thank you! #8.

Originally Posted by ntnon
Given that it's CHRISTOPHER LEE, I think he should get a day/weekend to himself AND ideally be the star of four subset picks: one a week.
That shouldn't be too hard considering the size of his filmography. After all, he did set the record for "most screen credits for a living actor in 2007" from the Guinness Book of World Records.

Originally Posted by ntnon
I agree.

And is there anyone obvious to pair up with Stephen King as more contemporary writers with many films based on their work..?
We've tried in the past and the only ones providing enough in the way of stand-alone entries are Lovecraft, Poe, and King. Of course, we did the 'Films Based on Horror Novels' in 2010. Maybe we should just pair them all up with separate entries for each (Lovecraft / Poe / King / Based on Horror Novels)? Again, just an idea.
Old 08-24-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, wouldn't it make more sense to include 'Hell' with the Devil's Night entries as opposed to the possibility of a separate theme?

- Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell
Old 08-24-15, 05:54 PM

^^ That works for me Chad. But having very bad OCD, I end up watching a movie for all the categories! I really need to work on that...
Old 08-24-15, 10:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I'll volunteer for a subset pick.

Also, throwing my votes in for:
Free Admission: Enter at Your Own Risk
Schools Out ...Forever
Web of Horror
Chronological Horror Years Faceoff

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.