Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Chad
As for Teen Wolf, a few expressed their opinion that it wasn't considered horror.

Oh, come on! In the 10 years I've been doing this I've NEVER excluded a title in someone's list because it was outside the genre. Not once. That's despite any conversations on it, whether it had wild cards attached, or whatever the reason. Hell, I'd count The Care Bears Movie if it was included in your list, and I probably have. I've always been lax on that.
I've never seen The Care Bears Movie, and I have no interest in ever seeing it, so no, it wasn't ever on any of my challenge lists.
I treat subset films a bit differently since they have an entire day dedicated to them along along with own respective threads attached. Just trying to do them justice by at least attempting to keep them within the realm of horror. I honestly don't think that's being too harsh.
I get that the subset movie should be judged more harshly (which doesn't really explain The Nightmare Before Christmas subset pick which was discussed awhile back), or whatever, but I was responding to this (which didn't seem solely directed at subsets):
Teen Wolf is classified as "Comedy, Fantasy" on IMDB and "Comedy, Coming-of-Age, Fantasy Comedy, Parody/Spoof, Teen Movie" on AllMovie, so I don't think it would qualify.
If you stick hard 'n' fast to the IMDb/AllMovie rule, Ghostbusters and/or Ghostbusters II (which show up on about ten lists last year) wouldn't count (IMDb: "Comedy, Fantasy" / AllMovie: "Comedy, Fantasy"). Young Frankenstein is just listed as "Comedy" on IMDB, and AllMovie (but AllMovie does call it a "Horror Comedy" in the sub-genres, so I guess it's okay).

Last edited by Dimension X; 09-19-15 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-19-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by nezumi
I nominate My Mom's a Werewolf for the Werewolf category.
IMDb and AllMovie both list it as "Comedy, Horror," so you know it's "scary" enough to be a subset pick.

Last edited by Dimension X; 09-19-15 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-19-15, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better late than never..

I still need to reserved my spot on the list thread.. Just trying to catch up..

Ok I like to pick 3 Werewolfs movies if there is still a chance.

1. Late Phases 2014

2.Wer 2013

3. Wolf Cop 2014
Old 09-19-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd like to make my #1 choice Shutter Island that falls into based on horror books.
Old 09-19-15, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
Eyes - Opera, Killer eye, They Live
Enter at your own risk - Dark house, Dark Ride
werewolves - hmm would Black Sheep count here?

i been crazy busy so just throwing these picks out *im sure some may been picked i have to go thru the list and see whats streaming too
Thank you. And yeah, there's also the 'Were-Creatures' (shapeshifters) link so Black Sheep fits just fine.

Originally Posted by terrycloth
is eye terror just horror that center around eyes like being hypnotized? or like memorable eye scenes like Zombi
Basically anything that has eyes prominently featured on its cover art and/or poster. This link covers pretty much everything aside from newer entries like "Starry Eyes".

Originally Posted by clckworang
For what it's worth, I don't have any issue if someone counted Teen Wolf, but I don't think it should be a subset choice. Not horror enough to be a film of the day. Just my two cents.

As for my subset picks ... ugh. I don't know.

Cursed - werewolves - I've never seen it and always heard it wasn't very good, but it is Wes Craven. Bonus that it's been showing on movie channels in HD and is also streaming on Netflix and Amazon.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space - Free Admission - I love this movie. It's a lot of fun. The Blu-ray can be had for cheap, and I noticed it streaming on Amazon.

House of Wax (1953) - Free Admission - Not available on streaming anywhere but I wouldn't mind revisiting it.

TerrorVision - Eyes Have It - It's streaming on Amazon.

The Live - Eyes Have It - Also not streaming anywhere but it's a bad ass movie that hasn't been used before.

Frightmare (1983) / Curtains (1983) - Double Features - I'll just throw this one out because I have both on Blu-ray, but they probably aren't streaming anywhere.

That's all I can come up with this at this moment. Let me know if I need to throw out any additional titles.
Will do.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1x...vie_shortfilms

Maybe next year there can be some sort of Family Friendly Friday subset night. Then we can have our things like Teen Wolf films for things that were never meant to be horror in the first place. Not by the director, script writer, studio, or anyone else that had any part in making it. That's kind of a big difference between a horror film, one made with the intention of horror and one that isn't made to be scary.

Will Vinton made movies that has some spooky looking stuff in it but that's just from how it was made. If a little kid is scared of some of the things in his films, that doesn't automatically turn it into a horror film.

How about Ghost Dad. Not meant to be scary but I'm sure something about it could possibly scare a kid that's afraid about ghosts
Spoiler:
or just to get it out of the way, people that don't like to be doped up and raped
but that doesn't mean it's a horror film that should be someone's pick for a Haunted/Ghost subset night. At the same time, there's no reason someone shouldn't watch Teen Wolf on werewolf night. I just agree that something like that doesn't need to be a subset pick for werewolves.
I'll put it in the 'to add in the 2016 planning thread' folder.

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
I found it on on Stagevu which is one of the sites listed for online viewing
Good find. I'll include it in the subset thread.

I nominate My Mom's a Werewolf for the Werewolf category.
I'll add it to the suggestions page. And I guess that makes you the new volunteer #31.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I've never seen The Care Bears Movie, and I have no interest in ever seeing it, so no, it wasn't ever on any of my challenge lists.
Just to clarify, I wasn't insinuating by any means that it was on one of your previous lists.

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
Better late than never..

I still need to reserved my spot on the list thread.. Just trying to catch up..

Ok I like to pick 3 Werewolfs movies if there is still a chance.

1. Late Phases 2014

2.Wer 2013

3. Wolf Cop 2014
I hate be the bearer of bad news, but we just filled the 31 spots. You literally missed it by less than an hour. Sorry.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I'd like to make my #1 choice Shutter Island that falls into based on horror books.
You're already on the list. I used your "A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night" pick.
Old 09-19-15, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

^works for me. I didn't know the choices were locked yet. Been waiting to see this movie for a while anyways
Old 09-20-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you end up needing a replacement for werewolves or vampires, you can count my vote towards anyone that suggests any of the Twilight films. Not only are there werewolves but there's also Indians (for the native american horrors category that doesn't exist but it could be used in the future) and vampires (for the vampires category).
Old 09-20-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
If you end up needing a replacement for werewolves or vampires, you can count my vote towards anyone that suggests any of the Twilight films. Not only are there werewolves but there's also Indians (for the native american horrors category that doesn't exist but it could be used in the future) and vampires (for the vampires category).
Ok... I vote this guy wins the challenge.
Old 09-20-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Here is one last subset recommendation.

Cigarette Burns - Made for TV - It was done for Masters of Horror on Showtime. It was directed by John Carpenter and was my favorite of those episodes.

I also wouldn't mind revisiting Jenifer in the same category.
Old 09-20-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And we're down to three...

We need picks from the following:
  1. Dick Laurent
  2. cwileyy
  3. nezumi

And they need to be from the following unclaimed themes:
  1. Made-for-TV Horror Movies & Horror Mini-Series ("The Midnight Hour" was used for a different theme, FYI)
  2. Eyes of Death (films that have eyes prominently featured on the cover art / poster.)
  3. Drive-In Double Features (remember, you pick two)

You can still pick films already chosen as suggestions if you want.

Link to theme nights if you need the links.

Old 09-20-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the meantime, I'm conflicted on what to choose for "Free Admission: Enter at Your Own Risk", so I'll put it up for vote.

House of Wax (1953) -or- Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)?

We don't currently have any other films from the 50's on the list and HOW is obviously a classic. On the other hand, Killer Klowns is a cult classic and makes for a fun Saturday Friday flick. Help me decide.

Also, we still needs votes on the Criterion Crossover.

Last edited by Chad; 09-21-15 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-20-15, 04:07 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

My vote goes to Killer Klowns.
Old 09-20-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I vote for HOUSE OF WAX!
Old 09-20-15, 04:17 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

In the meantime, I'm conflicted on what to choose for "Free Admission: Enter at Your Own Risk", so I'll put it up for vote.

House of Wax (1953) -or- Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)?

We don't currently have any other films from the 50's on the list and HOW is obviously a classic. On the other hand, Killer Klowns makes for a fun Saturday flick. Help me decide.

Also, we still needs votes on the Criterion Crossover.

For the Criterion Crossover, I vote for Diabolique or Eyes Without a Face.

For Free Admission, I vote for House of Wax, only because I watched Killer Klowns two challenges back.
Old 09-20-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

I vote Killer Klowns. I haven't seen it in quite awhile and need to give it a spin again. I remember not really caring for it that much despite it's cult status.
Old 09-20-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For Criterion, I vote for Fiend without a Face, Equinox, or The Blob.

For the other, I vote House of Wax.
Old 09-20-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I vote for House of Wax cause it's awesome!

For Criterion, I'll go with The Blob cause it's theme song in awesome!
Old 09-20-15, 04:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For Free Admission, I vote House of Wax.

For Criterion, my votes's for The Blob.
Old 09-20-15, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My votes are...

Free Admission: House Of Wax
Criterion: The Blob
Old 09-20-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tarfrimmer
For Free Admission, I vote House of Wax.

For Criterion, my votes's for The Blob.

I vote for the same. I got House of Wax for my birthday in May and haven't watched it yet.

And heck, maybe I'll pick up The Blob just for the occasion. It is on my Amazon wish list.
Old 09-20-15, 06:08 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Voting here for Killer Klowns; HoW may be the better film but KK fits the free admission theme better with it's go for the gusto carnival antics.
Old 09-20-15, 06:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

House of Wax

Carnival of Souls for Criterion.
Old 09-20-15, 10:04 PM

And we're down to three...
  1. Made-for-TV Horror Movies & Horror Mini-Series ("The Midnight Hour" was used for a different theme, FYI)
  2. Eyes of Death (films that have eyes prominently featured on the cover art / poster.)
  3. Drive-In Double Features (remember, you pick two)
I need a little clarification on theme three. Do our double feature picks need to have actually played at a drive-in, or is it more of a "fantasy" drive-in double feature?
Old 09-20-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need a little clarification on theme three. Do our double feature picks need to have actually played at a drive-in, or is it more of a "fantasy" drive-in double feature?
Yeah, the intention is to have two films that played the drive-in circuit together as a double bill.

Last edited by Chad; 09-20-15 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-20-15, 10:46 PM

Yeah, the intention is to have two films that played the drive-in circuit together as a double bill.
Very well. Then I select The Terror / Frankenstein 1970 for the Drive-In Double Features theme.

... And what the hell, Cat's Eye for Eyes of Death.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.