Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 06:26 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I totally understand. Thanks for all the hard work you've been putting in once again. It's always appreciated.
Old 09-14-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Forget to mention that the two crossover days (Criterion, horror comedy) are decided upon by votes, which is why there's only 31 volunteers spots. Please throw out some votes if you can.

As far as the subset goes, I'm doing things a wee bit different this year in the interest of speeding things up by working with what's currently available. That unfortunately means some won't get their first suggestion picked, but I'll let anyone know if more are needed. Maybe even through a PM.

Also, for the first time ever theme nights is 100% finalized, and its gained a little weight.

Old 09-14-15, 10:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

For horror comedy, Grabbers is available on Netflix.
Old 09-15-15, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I vote Tucker & Dale for comedy.
Old 09-15-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I vote Tucker & Dale for comedy.
I'd second that. I've only ever seen the workprint version. Haven't opened up my real copy yet but I'm guessing they didn't pay to use Guns N Roses in the credits.
Old 09-15-15, 11:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

We haven't used Tucker & Dale before? That needs to change. It's one of the films that I watch every October and never tire of.
Old 09-15-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My suggestions:

Theaters - Terror in the Aisles (YouTube)
Crazy Love/Wes Craven - Deadly Friend
Giallos - The Editor (new Scream Factory release from Astron 6!!)
Old 09-15-15, 01:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I thought Tucker and Dale had been used before. I take my suggestion back. I vote for Tucker and Dale.
Old 09-15-15, 04:18 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Nothing to see here... edited Comedy Crossover choice...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-15-15 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-15-15, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
We haven't used Tucker & Dale before? That needs to change. It's one of the films that I watch every October and never tire of.
Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
I thought Tucker and Dale had been used before. I take my suggestion back. I vote for Tucker and Dale.
I think a bunch of us watched it the first time the same year, and there was a lot of discussion about how good it was, so it feels like it was a subset pick.

I'll probably skip it this year since I watched it last Nov. 1st. I really like the movie, but I'm afraid I'll get burnt out on it watching it too many times too close together.
Old 09-15-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I wholeheartedly recommend "What We Do In Shadows" for the comedy crossover.
Old 09-15-15, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I wholeheartedly recommend "What We Do In Shadows" for the comedy crossover.
I second "What We Do In Shadows"
Old 09-15-15, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, concerning the subset list...

We need picks from the following:
  1. Darkgod
  2. shellebelle
  3. DaveyJoe
  4. Dick Laurent
  5. clckworang
  6. terrycloth
  7. Mondo Kane
  8. cwileyy
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?
  12. ?
  13. ?

And they need to be from the following unclaimed themes:
  1. Bigfoots, Yetis & Tiny Terrors
  2. Made-for-TV Horror Movies & Horror Mini-Series
  3. LGBT Horrors
  4. Eyes of Death
  5. Vestron Video
  6. Chapels of Horror
  7. Schools Out ...Forever
  8. Vampires
  9. Free Admission: Enter at Your Own Risk
  10. Drive-In Double Features (remember, you pick two)
  11. Werewolves
  12. Bats / Cats / & Rats
  13. Devil's Night Debauchery: Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell

If you're currently a volunteer and your name's not on this list, that means you already have a spot on the subset list.

You can still pick films already chosen if you want.

Link to theme nights if you need the links.

If someone wants to pick "What We Do in the Shadows" the vampire spot is still open. I only bring that up because a) everyone keeps raving about it and b) that way both it and Tucker & Dale could make the list.

And we're currently over halfway done. This time last year (9/15) we were just starting the subset picking. If I can get your picks soon, and those REMAINING 5 VOLUNTEERS NEEDED, I could have this knocked out in no time.

Last edited by Chad; 09-19-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-16-15, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be happy to volunteer, here are my picks

Bats, Cats, and Rats - Pet Sematary (1989)
Free Admission: Enter at Your Own Risk - House on Haunted Hill (1999)
Schools Out ...Forever - Dance of the Dead (2008)
Old 09-16-15, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

^I hope Pet Sematary makes it. I bought the disc last week and haven't seen the movie since the 90's. Am I supposed to say all this outloud?

Alright, I'm picking:

Made-for-TV Horror Movies & Horror Mini-Series-The Midnight Hour (1985) (Youtube)
Vampires-A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014) (Netflix)
Bigfoots, Yetis & Tiny Terrors-Night of the Demon (1980) (Youtube)
Old 09-16-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^I hope Pet Sematary makes it. I bought the disc last week and haven't seen the movie since the 90's. Am I supposed to say all this outloud?

Alright, I'm picking:

Made-for-TV Horror Movies & Horror Mini-Series-The Midnight Hour (1985) (Youtube)
I haven't seen Pet Cemetery since the early 90s as well. I believe I suggested it for Cats. Looking forward to watching it this year. Love me some Fred Gwynne.
Old 09-16-15, 02:03 PM

Chad, if no one else has, I'll be an official subset volunteer for my Bats, Cats, and Rats idea. I think the often suggested Pet Semetary would be a great choice, although I wish we could find one with all three qualifiers.....
Old 09-16-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I love The Midnight Hour and plan to watch it this year anyway so that would be great if picked.

Same with Pet Semetary. Haven't seen it in a while and hope to watch it this season as well.
Old 09-16-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Alright, I'm picking:

I really hope A Girl Walks...is in the list this year as I really want to watch and discuss this.
Old 09-16-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad
Alright, concerning the subset list...

We need picks from the following:
  1. Dick Laurent

And they need to be from the following unclaimed themes:
  1. Bigfoots, Yetis & Tiny Terrors

If you're currently a volunteer and your name's not on this list, that means you already have a spot on the subset list.

You can still pick films already chosen if you want.

Link to theme nights if you need the links.

If someone wants to pick "What We Do in the Shadows" the vampire spot is still open. I only bring that up because a) everyone keeps raving about it and b) that way both it and Tucker & Dale could make the list.

And we're currently over halfway done. This time last year (9/15) we were just starting the subset picking. If I can get your picks soon, and those REMAINING 5 VOLUNTEERS NEEDED, I could have this knocked out in no time.
My apologies for being late, I just finished a move into a new house and it took a little while to get my desktop setup after the cable install. And of course my laptop is broke and I'll be derned if I'm going to try and type off my phone. Oh, and since I'm complaining, I'll throw in my L4 & L5 discs being jacked. Woo-hoo.

My choice for subset I would like to be The Butterfly Room, which I have been dying to see, and it's streaming on Amazon and Hulu. The only theme it would fit is Tiny Terrors. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty sure the butterflies are used as a terrorizing tool of a creepy old lady, so I don't think the butterflies actually attack anyone. But they are pretty prevalent according to the TRAILER I've seen.
Old 09-16-15, 04:20 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll volunteer for the subset. My picks are:

The Midnight Hour (1985) (YouTube) - Made for TV Horror Movies
Moon of the Wolf (1972) (Netflix Streaming) - Made for TV Horror Movies or Werewolves
Old 09-16-15, 04:42 PM

Seemingly the Criterion crossover subset film should also be voted on - I'll nominate Haxan, streaming on Hulu.
Old 09-16-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
I'll be happy to volunteer, here are my picks

Bats, Cats, and Rats - Pet Sematary (1989)
Free Admission: Enter at Your Own Risk - House on Haunted Hill (1999)
Schools Out ...Forever - Dance of the Dead (2008)
Got 'em. That brings us to 4 needed.

Alright, I'm picking:

Hey, it makes my job easier. And got 'em.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Chad, if no one else has, I'll be an official subset volunteer for my Bats, Cats, and Rats idea. I think the often suggested Pet Semetary would be a great choice, although I wish we could find one with all three qualifiers.....
Can do. 3 to go.

There's probably a natural horror film with all three, although nothing comes to mind.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
My apologies for being late, I just finished a move into a new house and it took a little while to get my desktop setup after the cable install. And of course my laptop is broke and I'll be derned if I'm going to try and type off my phone. Oh, and since I'm complaining, I'll throw in my L4 & L5 discs being jacked. Woo-hoo.

My choice for subset I would like to be The Butterfly Room, which I have been dying to see, and it's streaming on Amazon and Hulu. The only theme it would fit is Tiny Terrors. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty sure the butterflies are used as a terrorizing tool of a creepy old lady, so I don't think the butterflies actually attack anyone. But they are pretty prevalent according to the TRAILER I've seen.
No problem, we're making great time.

And sorry to hear about the herniated disc ...or the physical media being stolen. If it's the former, I can relate.

Originally Posted by orlmac
I'll volunteer for the subset. My picks are:

The Midnight Hour (1985) (YouTube) - Made for TV Horror Movies
Moon of the Wolf (1972) (Netflix Streaming) - Made for TV Horror Movies or Werewolves
Added.

And just like that, we're down to 2 subset volunteers needed.
Old 09-16-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad
And sorry to hear about the herniated disc ...or the physical media being stolen. If it's the former, I can relate.
Ummm, no mention of anything stolen. Or wait, are you planning on "stopping by" my place?
Old 09-16-15, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Ummm, no mention of anything stolen. Or wait, are you planning on "stopping by" my place?
You said your L4 and L5 discs were jacked. Like as in your Leprochaun 4 and Leprechaun 5 DVDs being stolen.

I got the joke Chad, keep 'em coming!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.