Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Chad
Wait, what? What's happening?
Just joking around Chad. For your dates, you listed them as November, instead of October, and it started something of it's own.
Old 09-10-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

More than any, I wanna get Christopher Lee and Wes Craven's day right. Any particular dates that tie into their deaths or careers?
Couldn't see any when I thought about that myself - there are release-date anniversaries, but nothing suitably major, I don't think - so except a general feel that both should get MULTIPLE films (which I reckon would be as good scattered among the other theme nights as subset picks, rather than necessarily pinning their days to remaining weekends)... nothing stands out.
Old 09-10-15, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll suggest for a leftover category.
Old 09-11-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just joking around Chad. For your dates, you listed them as November, instead of October, and it started something of it's own.
That's good, because my heart skipped a beat after seeing "2 months".

Originally Posted by ntnon
Couldn't see any when I thought about that myself - there are release-date anniversaries, but nothing suitably major, I don't think - so except a general feel that both should get MULTIPLE films (which I reckon would be as good scattered among the other theme nights as subset picks, rather than necessarily pinning their days to remaining weekends)... nothing stands out.
Oh well. If anyone comes up with something let me know and I can shuffle days around if need be.

I currently have Lee on 10/3 (Sat) and Craven on 10/13 (Sun).

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I'll suggest for a leftover category.
Ok, but I can't determine what the leftovers are until we get the remaining 8 volunteers needed.
Old 09-11-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I'll volunteer (Down 4 whateva)
Old 09-11-15, 03:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Just an idea, but:

Lots of good suggestions have been made for most categories already. I don't think each night necessarily needs an official chooser. Worst case scenario and you don't get enough volunteers, just pick some of the choices already out there and get a second and third in this thread.
Old 09-11-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just an idea, but:

Lots of good suggestions have been made for most categories already. I don't think each night necessarily needs an official chooser. Worst case scenario and you don't get enough volunteers, just pick some of the choices already out there and get a second and third in this thread.
Could go with the most popular choices named too.
Old 09-11-15, 09:10 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Personally I'd rather hold out till more subset volunteers come forward or we are in dire crunch time; every year 31 different volunteers eventually emerge and it'd be a bummer if that were not the case.

Seemingly we could finalize every other subset film and theme day and just fill in those remaining as volunteers show up.
Old 09-11-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Personally I'd rather hold out till more subset volunteers come forward or we are in dire crunch time; every year 31 different volunteers eventually emerge and it'd be a bummer if that were not the case.

Seemingly we could finalize every other subset film and theme day and just fill in those remaining as volunteers show up.
There are 74 people on the list thread--I'm pretty sure volunteers will emerge.
Old 09-12-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
There are 74 people on the list thread--I'm pretty sure volunteers will emerge.
Every year we get a big group of people on the list thread and every year, it seems like volunteers drag. It really makes no sense as one just names a movie and that's it.
Old 09-12-15, 01:30 PM

I think the culture here should be more all 74 of us working together to pick 33 interesting choices, and no one thinking of anything as "my movie" or "my choice".

Heck, I'd trust Chad to pick all 33 of them after we work together to give him a bunch of options.
Old 09-12-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Every year we get a big group of people on the list thread and every year, it seems like volunteers drag. It really makes no sense as one just names a movie and that's it.
I don't know. When I've picked a movie (which I have for the past few years), I felt obligated to watch the movie on its assigned day and then post something about it in its review thread. (And I don't normally post anything in the review threads, because by the time I get around to it, someone else has already said what I would've said, so I end up just posting "" or "This" like a doofus. I think I even failed to post that much last year for "my" film.) I can see not wanting to get involved. Especially for people who don't bother with the theme nights or subset films.

That said, I'll probably volunteer again (as I have the past few years) when Chad is down to the last two or three theme picks.
Old 09-12-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are we only able to suggest subset films not available on Neflix or Youtube this year? I actually don't have Netflix anymore, and I've been trying to watch as many titles on BD or DVD in order to support physical media.

Don't forget your libraries people! It's amazing the amount of horror you can get free on DVD and blu-ray at your local library.
Old 09-12-15, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Are we only able to suggest subset films not available on Neflix or Youtube this year?
I think you meant to type this differently. Or I'm in zombie mode already and brain not work.
Old 09-12-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I'll volunteer (Down 4 whateva)
Cool. That brings us down to 7 volunteers needed.

Just an idea, but:

Sorry, I just can't go that route. Much like my obsession with doing a bigger/better banner every year, well, it carries over here. It's just how I'm wired.

But I can count on you as a returning volunteer, right?

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Could go with the most popular choices named too.
Sometimes it does come down to that in addition to random.org.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I don't know. When I've picked a movie (which I have for the past few years), I felt obligated to watch the movie on its assigned day and then post something about it in its review thread. (And I don't normally post anything in the review threads, because by the time I get around to it, someone else has already said what I would've said, so I end up just posting "" or "This" like a doofus. I think I even failed to post that much last year for "my" film.) I can see not wanting to get involved. Especially for people who don't bother with the theme nights or subset films.

That said, I'll probably volunteer again (as I have the past few years) when Chad is down to the last two or three theme picks.
Probably is good enough for me.

Are we only able to suggest subset films not available on Neflix or Youtube this year? I actually don't have Netflix anymore, and I've been trying to watch as many titles on BD or DVD in order to support physical media.

Don't forget your libraries people! It's amazing the amount of horror you can get free on DVD and blu-ray at your local library.
Streaming is encouraged, but not an absolute requirement. I picked the original Wicker Man and it's not streaming anywhere (to my knowledge), unless you count a $2.99 YouTube rental.

I've also considered doing a Blu-ray/DVD only challenge, but most of my titles are ones I've already seen, and I usually get hung up on watching mostly first time views.
Old 09-12-15, 07:08 PM

I think the culture here should be more all 74 of us working together to pick 33 interesting choices, and no one thinking of anything as "my movie" or "my choice"...
Yes... but who will there be to blame when the subset film sucks?
Originally Posted by Dimension X
...I don't normally post anything in the review threads, because by the time I get around to it, someone else has already said what I would've said, so I end up just posting "" or "This" like a doofus...
Last year I tried to post something in each of the subset threads because I think having a sense of community discussion is fun; even if it's to agree with something that can be constructive. Some of the discussions end up being duds but others seem to be more enjoyable.
Old 09-12-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you meant to type this differently. Or I'm in zombie mode already and brain not work.
Yeah. LOL> I've had that kind of scrambled brain week.
Old 09-12-15, 08:02 PM

Oh well. If anyone comes up with something let me know and I can shuffle days around if need be.

I currently have Lee on 10/3 (Sat) and Craven on 10/13 (Sun).
Lee
All I could find as far as dates and anniversaries in October are:

Diane Cilento (Wicker Man) was born on Oct 5 and died Oct 6...
Necessary Evil (DC Doc narrated by Lee) released Oct 25..
Corpse Bride released ten years ago Oct 13 (UK)..
Burke & Hare released five years ago Oct 29..

Craven
Likewise thin pickings:

Oct 4 is the thirtieth anniversary of Season 1, Episode 2 of the not-really-horror Craven-directed Twilight Zone ('85) segments..
Oct 14 is the 21st anniversary of New Nightmare..
Oct 8 is the twentieth anniversary of the Craven-produced Mind Ripper (Hills Have Eyes III)..
Oct 8 is also the fifth anniversary of My Soul To Take (last-but-one - Scre4m - horror film)..

Nothing really critical, even if a couple of interesting ones.
Old 09-12-15, 08:06 PM

I also do not have Netflix - "just" Amazon and Hulu - and sadly our library is pretty useless.
Old 09-12-15, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Lee

Craven
Likewise thin pickings:

Oct 4 is the thirtieth anniversary of Season 1, Episode 2 of the not-really-horror Craven-directed Twilight Zone ('85) segments..
Oct 8 is the twentieth anniversary of the Craven-produced Mind Ripper (Hills Have Eyes III)..
Oct 8 is also the fifth anniversary of My Soul To Take (last-but-one - Scre4m - horror film)..

Nothing against it, as I own it, but would Necessary Evil really count as horror?
Old 09-12-15, 10:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm really late to the party this year. Glad I got here before all the subset spots were taken. Here are my picks...

Martyrs - European Passport to Terror (France)
Inside (2007) - European Passport to Terror (France), Slashers/Giallos/Serial Killers
Mother of Tears - European Passport to Terror (Italy), Slashers/Giallos/Serial Killers, Witchcraft
The Last House on the Left (1972) - R.I.P. Wes Craven

Also Chad, you mentioned that you might be able to switch days around. I was wondering if it was possible to make the Wes Craven day Friday, Oct 9. I ask because I'm going to a Wes Craven tribute night at a drive-in theater that day. They're showing Nightmare on Elm Street and Last House on the Left. If it's too much of a hassle, don't worry about it. Just figured I'd ask.
Old 09-13-15, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also do not have Netflix - "just" Amazon and Hulu - and sadly our library is pretty useless.
That's too bad about the library. I know where I previously lived the library had a good selection of DVD but everything was always out. I'm in a smaller city now, so I'm reaping a few benefits of it.
Old 09-13-15, 08:59 AM

Libraries are really hit or miss. When I saw younger living in a medium sized city the first time I saw Evil Dead II was renting it from the treasure trove of stuff at the library (which surprisingly didn't enforce MPAA rating restrictions). Now that I live in Houston there's pathetically little across the whole city library system.
Old 09-14-15, 01:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll volunteer for a subset! I'll have to get back to you with my picks though.
Old 09-14-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lee

Craven
Likewise thin pickings:

Yeah, I was really hoping for more of a milestone event, but appreciate the effort.

Originally Posted by Bladz
I'm really late to the party this year. Glad I got here before all the subset spots were taken. Here are my picks...

Martyrs - European Passport to Terror (France)
Inside (2007) - European Passport to Terror (France), Slashers/Giallos/Serial Killers
Mother of Tears - European Passport to Terror (Italy), Slashers/Giallos/Serial Killers, Witchcraft
The Last House on the Left (1972) - R.I.P. Wes Craven

Also Chad, you mentioned that you might be able to switch days around. I was wondering if it was possible to make the Wes Craven day Friday, Oct 9. I ask because I'm going to a Wes Craven tribute night at a drive-in theater that day. They're showing Nightmare on Elm Street and Last House on the Left. If it's too much of a hassle, don't worry about it. Just figured I'd ask.
Added. That brings us down to only 6 volunteers needed.

And it needs to be a pretty significant event to warrant a move. It's currently on a Sunday and that's a prime slot.

Originally Posted by cwileyy
I'll volunteer for a subset! I'll have to get back to you with my picks though.
You're on the list. Make that 5!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.