Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 6th Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: The 6th Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion Thread

Just picked up Pork Chop Hill bluray.- Gregory Peck. Looking forward to viewing this. Can't say it will be the first on my list yet but It will be viewed in the challenge sometime.
Old 05-21-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just to let everyone know. I'll have the list thread up in the next day or two.
Old 05-23-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I quit challenges altogether, but posted the list thread. It's self moderating Watch whatever you think counts. I'm out.
Old 05-23-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Points to the other challenge thread to see how he is doing, but I'm back, at least half heartedly.
Old 05-24-15, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone has a DVR, both AMC, and TCM, are playing war movies all weekend, including tomorrow.
Old 05-25-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought being Memorial Day, it would be a good day to try an experiment. Just this year, I decided to start the challenge off early, and we can begin today. Also, any non fiction books read during the challenge can get an optional credit if you finish it. My book will be The World Encyclopedia of Fighters & Bombs by Francis Crosby, and if I finish that, will read Fighter Pilot, the Memoirs of Robin Olds.
Old 05-26-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm noticing a distinct lack of discussion, and even spots taken on the list thread. Am I doing something wrong, is this not a popular challenge, or is it just because I'm hosting it?
Old 05-26-15, 05:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm noticing a distinct lack of discussion, and even spots taken on the list thread. Am I doing something wrong, is this not a popular challenge, or is it just because I'm hosting it?
I don't think the host makes any difference unless you're Chad.

Relax.
Old 05-26-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't really notice it started yesterday. I need to go back and see what I've watched since I watched some westerns but I don't remember if any took place in a specific period of time. I've been watching westerns for my make your own challenge, so the weekend was just a big blur of guys riding horses.

Since I've been working from start to finish through a specific western set this month, I'm hesitant to start skipping movies to find the more historical ones. Since I won't finish the set by the end of the month, I won't really hit this challenge until then. Till then it'll just be whatever random movie or TV show that comes on that qualifies.

I'll try and start a book soon. Possibly starting with Policing Cinema: Movies and Censorship in Early-Twentieth-Century America.
Old 05-26-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I didn't really notice it started yesterday. I need to go back and see what I've watched since I watched some westerns but I don't remember if any took place in a specific period of time. I've been watching westerns for my make your own challenge, so the weekend was just a big blur of guys riding horses.

Since I've been working from start to finish through a specific western set this month, I'm hesitant to start skipping movies to find the more historical ones. Since I won't finish the set by the end of the month, I won't really hit this challenge until then. Till then it'll just be whatever random movie or TV show that comes on that qualifies.

I'll try and start a book soon. Possibly starting with Policing Cinema: Movies and Censorship in Early-Twentieth-Century America.
I thought being Memorial Day, it was worth trying on a trial basis this year.
Old 05-26-15, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I thought being Memorial Day, it would be a good day to try an experiment. Just this year, I decided to start the challenge off early, and we can begin today.
I totally missed this yesterday (and I even checked the forum a few times). Now I have to decide what I want to watch the rest of the week and make a feeble attempt to intertwine some stuff...

I actually started watching that History Channel "Texas" series but just couldn't get into it. I also figured it'll be rerun *a lot* over the next month and I'd have a chance to possibly catch it all during a Sunday afternoon marathon which also played into me not getting into it much.

Aaaannnddd.... I look up to discover Part 1 has just come on tonight for a rerun. Hmmm... I think I'll try again.

Last year there were 30 participants (Including Travis who didn't put anything in his list) and only 70 posts prior to the start time. Some of that was discussion on some changes, the checklist, and other "what to watch" combined with "what's allowable" type stuff. If you take all that out I'd say there's a similar amount of pre-challenge discussion going on.

Right now there are 18 participants and with the early start I'd say you caught more than me off-guard so I'd say it's not too far off. This one seems to get fewer participants and is more laid back (except for that year we got into "arguments" about just what was/is valid).

Don't sweat it... those of us who show up don't look at numbers... I think the only ones with large(r) numbers are the SF/Fantasy and Horror (which seems to have a life of its own).
Old 05-26-15, 11:20 PM

I think once the movie watching actually starts ( didn't know that it started on Memorial Day until the 26th ) things should pick up with people watching things and talking about it. I was caught off guard too. But still managed to start off with one.
Old 05-27-15, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I woke up early, and decided to start working on the challenge. Started the day with another of the Life on Location episodes on Netflix. This one was how the Plants episode was filmed.
Old 05-27-15, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, I'm going to participate in this challenge this year. It will be my first time. I've been thinking about things I could watch for about a month now, and I recently picked up the Blu-ray of Aguirre, which I'm very excited to watch (I've watch my DVD version a few times). Has anyone ever watched it with just the English audio track, since it seems that that is actually how it was filmed? Does it work okay that way?

Since the challenge has started early, and I'd like to cross some stuff over, would Night at the Museum count??
Old 05-27-15, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pacaway
Well, I'm going to participate in this challenge this year. It will be my first time. I've been thinking about things I could watch for about a month now, and I recently picked up the Blu-ray of Aguirre, which I'm very excited to watch (I've watch my DVD version a few times). Has anyone ever watched it with just the English audio track, since it seems that that is actually how it was filmed? Does it work okay that way?

Since the challenge has started early, and I'd like to cross some stuff over, would Night at the Museum count??
Maybe under a zeitgeist wild card. I'll leave it open to opinions. Anyways, welcome aboard. The more the merrier.

I just finished a great documentary on Netflix about Ray Harryhausen, called Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan.
Old 05-27-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Maybe under a zeitgeist wild card. I'll leave it open to opinions. Anyways, welcome aboard. The more the merrier.

I just finished a great documentary on Netflix about Ray Harryhausen, called Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan.
LOVE Harryhausen! I think my next MYOC will be either "Harryhausen" or a little broader, like "Stop Motion". There! I'm ready for next year already!
Old 05-27-15, 09:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought that this challenge grew out of a western/war idea and historical stuff was added to broaden the appeal so any western or war movie would count even if no specific time period was mentioned or the war covered was still going on when the film was made. So The Green Berets would count even though it was made while the war was still going on.

I'd like to mainly focus on B-westerns, many from a Mill Creek set, just to continue my Poverty Row viewing that I started in this years MYOC and I'm sure none of these are particularly historical. If folks object I just won't number those in my list but I'll still stick around and just number any that do fit.

I did watch a couple of war movies on Memorial Day even though I didn't know the challenge had started so I will put those in my list -- when I have some time to get the darned thing whipped into shape!
Old 05-27-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
I thought that this challenge grew out of a western/war idea and historical stuff was added to broaden the appeal so any western or war movie would count even if no specific time period was mentioned or the war covered was still going on when the film was made. So The Green Berets would count even though it was made while the war was still going on.
That is correct. I keep meaning to watch Act of Valor for either this or Action.

I'd like to mainly focus on B-westerns, many from a Mill Creek set, just to continue my Poverty Row viewing that I started in this years MYOC and I'm sure none of these are particularly historical. If folks object I just won't number those in my list but I'll still stick around and just number any that do fit.
Hey, it's your list! For MYOC, I've been listing stage musicals I attend but not numbering them.

I did watch a couple of war movies on Memorial Day even though I didn't know the challenge had started so I will put those in my list -- when I have some time to get the darned thing whipped into shape!
FWIW, I believe we've pitched the idea of starting on Memorial Day for historical and cultural revelance, but this is the first year it's actually happened--ironically the one time no one ever asked.
Old 05-27-15, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=omike;12492559
[/QUOTE]

I'm a fan of the B- westerns also. I just finished one, Arrowhead. Plus I have a lot more to use in my DVD library.
Old 05-27-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Works for me. I think I was remembering that I always thought a historical challenge should only include things that were more focused on something historical and not just something that took place in the a generic past time frame.

This just means I get to keep working through my set another month, although I may need to take a break now and then to throw in something that isn't yet another guys riding horses movie. I'm also tired of Gene Autry doing his "tough" face by scrunching up his smooth baby face at someone to get them to back off in every movie he's in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ac5AVosug
Old 05-27-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
I'm a fan of the B- westerns also. I just finished one, Arrowhead. Plus I have a lot more to use in my DVD library.
A lot of B-westerns dealt with specific historical subjects. Roy Rogers played Jesse James, Billy the Kid, and Wild Bill Hickok among other famous figures.

Oh, and ARROWHEAD was not a B-western. It starred Charlton Heston and Jack Palance and was a medium budget picture from Paramount Pictures. (Heston had already started working for Cecil B. DeMille by then, having starred in the previous year's Best Picture winner, THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-27-15 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since sports movies count, if you wish to watch sports on TV as bonus, uncounted content, feel free.
Old 05-27-15, 03:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the feedback folks. I think I'll just number them as I watch them. Challenge lists (and Excel) are a handy way for me to keep track of what I've watched.

I may need to take a break now and then to throw in something that isn't yet another guys riding horses movie. I'm also tired of Gene Autry doing his "tough" face by scrunching up his smooth baby face at someone to get them to back off in every movie he's in.

Yeah, I'll have to come up with a few change of pace items myself.
Old 05-27-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I would say it's still a bit early. More people will grab a spot after the thread gets "stickied."
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Last year there were 30 participants (Including Travis who didn't put anything in his list) and only 70 posts prior to the start time. Some of that was discussion on some changes, the checklist, and other "what to watch" combined with "what's allowable" type stuff. If you take all that out I'd say there's a similar amount of pre-challenge discussion going on.

Right now there are 18 participants and with the early start I'd say you caught more than me off-guard so I'd say it's not too far off. This one seems to get fewer participants and is more laid back (except for that year we got into "arguments" about just what was/is valid).

Don't sweat it... those of us who show up don't look at numbers... I think the only ones with large(r) numbers are the SF/Fantasy and Horror (which seems to have a life of its own).
What he said.
Old 05-27-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished my first western of the challenge. I finished an episode of Wanted: Dead or Alive. I've always liked Steve McQueen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.