DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-25-15, 02:51 PM   #126
DVD Talk Legend

Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

The app is what they want to foist on viewers. I expect some kind of token media release in a year or two after subscriber downloads have leveled off.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 10-26-15, 07:14 PM   #127

I have all of the Simpsons seasons on DVD that are out and will buy the others if and when they come out. In the meantime I have recently recorded all of the other episodes off of FXX & the local Fox Channel (except 3 Treehouse of Horror episodes that I will get this week) and copied them onto VHS (yes I still use VHS ). After this week I can downgrade my cable service to a lower cost package and I will never subscribe to the Simpsons App. Until Fox releases or liscenses(sp) out the remaining seasons, they can suck it.

I did the same thing in 2008 with King of the Hill and now I will have them all on DVD!!
Old 10-26-15, 11:51 PM   #128

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upper pylon 3 View Post
i have all of the simpsons seasons on dvd that are out and will buy the others if and when they come out. In the meantime i have recently recorded all of the other episodes off of fxx & the local fox channel (except 3 treehouse of horror episodes that i will get this week) and copied them onto vhs (yes i still use vhs ). After this week i can downgrade my cable service to a lower cost package and i will never subscribe to the simpsons app. Until fox releases or liscenses(sp) out the remaining seasons, they can suck it.

i did the same thing in 2008 with king of the hill and now i will have them all on dvd!!
seconded!
Old 07-22-17, 04:45 PM   #129
DVD Talk Legend

Look what was on their FB page today ...

Quote:
NO NEED TO GET STABBY – “THE SIMPSONS” IS BACK ON DVD!
Old 07-22-17, 04:49 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome. I wonder if it's DVD only or Blu-ray as well. I'm in either way but considering that we got thirteen through seventeen and twenty on Blu-ray it'd be nice if that was an option.
Old 07-22-17, 06:28 PM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Great news. I'd like to at least finish through 20.
Old 07-22-17, 06:31 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they go all the way. I agree that at least to twenty would be good so there aren't gaps between what's been released but as a diehard fan I want the complete series eventually.
Old 07-22-17, 08:56 PM   #133
DVD Talk Reviewer

I read there won't be a Blu-Ray this time, so as glad as I am to get the releases back it still feels like a step backwards. I'll buy it anyways but I won't be happy about it. Hope they go back to Blu-Ray at least for the true hi-def shows later.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 07-22-17, 09:10 PM   #134
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I hope they go all the way. I agree that at least to twenty would be good so there aren't gaps between what's been released but as a diehard fan I want the complete series eventually.
Mike, they did release Season 20 already a few years ago and Season 18 is just on DVD only with commentaries and I predict Season 19 comes out around springtime 2018 and then I think they'll release Season 21 thereafter before going on another break, but the studio learned their lesson not to tee off the fans the way they did, so better late than never when it comes to these releases.
Old 07-22-17, 10:17 PM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad about DVD only but I guess I'll still get it. Kind of irritating that it's going to go DVD for one through twelve, Blu-ray for thirteen through seventeen, DVD for eighteen and likely nineteen, Blu-ray for twenty, and then who knows for beyond that (probably DVD). I guess whatever as long as it comes out.
Old 07-22-17, 10:45 PM   #136

Not a tremendous loss... The Simpsons didn't begin production in HD until season 20 anyway. Hopefully they'll rerelease season 20 with extras and resume bluray releases after. But for now I'm happy with the DVD only release, even though it's a bit frustrating for lack of consistency.
By the way, the commentaries for seasons 18 and 19 and maybe beyond have been on the Simpsons app for a while. I haven't listened to any and haven't even been able to find a list of participants (which I always found fascinating read and looked forward to most with the previous releases) but they're up there...
Old 07-22-17, 10:46 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The app is what they want to foist on viewers. I expect some kind of token media release in a year or two after subscriber downloads have leveled off.
You called it!
Old 07-23-17, 07:50 PM   #138
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if we'll still get the 3 dimensional plastic cases.
Old 10-11-17, 05:06 AM   #139
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I missed that news from July, awesome! My kids and I are working our at through the Treehouse of Horror episodes this month and they were sad to hear we only could watch the first few (we have all the releases) because they aren't making more sets and we don't have cable or FXX so that Simpson's World website is useless to us. Bummer about DVD only, but I'll take what i can get.
Old 12-05-17, 01:41 PM   #140
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw the new dvd set in store today when I got Silent Night Deadly Night, and the packaging looked quite nice. I still have to buy the last three seasons set on bluray to get caught up. It looks like they might have ditched the foldout pacakaging that I hate due to it scratching the discs. Anyone buying it today who can confirm what is the packaging of season 18?
Old 12-06-17, 10:13 AM   #141

Outer DVD packaging is thinner yet deeper than previous sets. Height remains the same. I can't tell you any more than that as I'm leaving it sealed until my Best Buy price match credit goes through. Once it does, I'll open and get back to you if no one else has.
Old 12-06-17, 09:36 PM   #142
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've bought every Simpsons season on release date and have even bought the single-disc releases, but after getting the past few seasons on Blu-Ray I'm hesitant to buy this. They probably think we'll be grateful they're releasing it at all after the dry spell, but that doesn't change the fact that this is still a downgrade from what we were getting before. What I plan to do is watch all the episodes I have in order on my new TV and then buy season 18 after that, if there's still no Blu-Ray I'll just suck it up but I won't be kissing their asses to get it.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 12-07-17, 07:27 AM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

I knew season eighteen was coming out soon but forgot that it was this week. Ordered a copy from Amazon as thatís where it was cheapest ($24.99).
Old 12-07-17, 02:54 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

Crap missed out on Simpsons for 24.99. Not buying it for 34.99. I barely track DVD releases anymore. I want to support the releases but not for that price.
Old 12-07-17, 03:09 PM   #145
DVD Talk Legend

Glad I didnít hesitate on ordering last night. I probably would have grabbed it either way to support the release because I want to keep getting them but $35 is a bit high. At least itís sounding like it is a loaded set like the old ones. I almost thought Fox would cheap out and make it a bare bones release.
Old 12-08-17, 09:50 PM   #146
DVD Talk Reviewer

Prices on these always drop after a while- I've paid about $30 each for all the past ones but not so eager to hand over my money for a downgrade after having the last ones on Blu-Ray.

Old 12-11-17, 12:49 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

So I guess beggars canít be choosers but the packaging for the new set kind of sucks. First of all the outer slipcase is entirely enclosed and you have to open a flap to take out the inner case with the discs. The flap feels like something that inevitably will get bent or torn if opened and closed often. Also the inner case folds out and the discs are between cardboard flaps and are a bit hard to get out and could potentially scratch. I appreciate that Fox tries to
make the sets somewhat uniform but honestly I kind of wish they would have just used a standard DVD case with a slipcover. Overall though Iím happy that Fox put it out rather than not at all.