Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Bleh. I have to show up for Jury Duty tomorrow
Look at the bright side. Money for movies. I'm in bed, but wide awake. Looks like a night of movies, since I've got a pot of coffee on.
Old 04-22-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Gymkata...I can't....mullet...how?......
Forget it Jake, it's 80s town.
Old 04-22-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Luckily I have my PS3 for Blu Rays. I was stepping out for a smoke break, and I tripped, stepping on my Blu Ray player. But I did lose my Stealth/Vertical Limit disc in the process, as I can't even open the tray anymore.
Old 04-22-15, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Luckily I have my PS3 for Blu Rays. I was stepping out for a smoke break, and I tripped, stepping on my Blu Ray player. But I did lose my Stealth/Vertical Limit disc in the process, as I can't even open the tray anymore.
That sucks

Hooray for back-up players!

Galaxy of Terror (1981) is some nutty shit. I thought I had seen it all but there are a few scenes in that film that even surprised me.
Old 04-23-15, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Visceral: Between The Ropes of Madness (2012) =

Trying to watch as many films as I can before I have to wake up for Jury Duty tomorrow morning.
Old 04-23-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Portland has so many great screenings! This isn't the first time I've heard of them screening rad stuff in their local theaters.
That place shows stuff monthly, I think. Always on a Tuesday and I've never been able to make it to one because of the day.

It took 3 days to get through Evil Bong 420 but I did it. For those that don't want to watch, here it is in a nutshell

Spoiler:
Not shown: Rabbit escaping from the Evil Bong world with magic week to sell and buy a bowling alley.

Where we start is at the bowling alley where for all but the last 15 minutes, it's a stream of the cast from previous Evil Bong films and other films, like Ooga Booga showing up to talk to him and do their little jokes.

There's some short breaks between that with topless girls and Evil Bong and Gingerdead Man talking in weed world about how she's looking for Rabbit.

Around the last 15 minutes, Evil Bong figures he escaped to the real world and goes back with Gingerdead Man.

Gingerdead Man gets laid and does in fact have a wiener.

Ooga Booga shows up in the ball return for some reason and then stabs someone in the eye.

Everyone in the bowling alley starts arguing about things not related to anything going on around them, so Rabbit uses a weedblower to make everyone happy with the magic weed.

Evil Bong says that since they all smoked the weed, she can take them back to her world and she does.

If you can't see it for free, don't see it. That being said, I've seen worse films that were held in higher regard.

Next film for me is Pieces.
Old 04-23-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got HBO now, by signing up for Sling TV, so that gives me more movies to check out, since I have an on demand library now.
Old 04-23-15, 12:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw Lord of Illusions at the theater when it came out. I recently watched the director's cut on blu-ray (for the first time). Should I count that as a first time view, or no?
Old 04-23-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Bleh. I have to show up for Jury Duty tomorrow
I feel your pain... in 5 years time I was called for Federal twice (fortunately both cancelled last minute - a 2.5 hour drive that one), District twice (with one I sat on *two* juries as they didn't have enough people show up so we got stuck to be called again following the first even though sitting on a jury is supposed to excuse you for the rest of the session, and I got picked *again*. The other time I was excused because the case was OBGYN based and my brother-in-law is a OBGYN), and County once (excused due to a conflicting trip that had been planned/booked for over 6 months and I had proof).

The time I got double-jeopardy the clerk said "Being selected for Jury Duty has about the same odds as winning the lotter so you people should consider yourself lucky!" I disagree...

That same time, one of the lawyers, when interviewing the prospective jury pool, asked: "What did you think when you got the Jury Duty card." Most answered "I felt priviliged/lucky" or other such balderdash (sucking up???). I answered: "Crap! Jury Duty *again*!" He replied: "So you don't really want to be here?" and I told him "No. I'd rather be almost anywhere else. It's a odious chore." That took him by surprise (I'm a bit surprised I wasn't hit with "contempt" over such a bold comment but it's the truth). But it was telling them I thought simple "possession" (not enough to resell) of a controlled substance shouldn't be illegal but that "dealers should be thrown under the jail and lose the key" that got me off that trial.

Of course *some* trials *can* be like a "B" movie...
Old 04-23-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Open the case and remove the disc tray. Usually only takes the removal of a few screws. Hopefully the tray supports protected the disc and it's not damaged.

Some models have a manual "eject" hole. If the entire tray comes out of the player, look for a pin-sized hole around the tray mechanism (usually close to the button on a PC drive but on the right side below the tray on other types). If one's there use a *large* paper clip that's been "straitened" out (just pull the long part away to make a long, thin, push pin). Push it into that hole and give it a good push. If it's a mechanical release the tray will try to come out. If enough does you can grab it and pull it out manually. If it's a "slot" type (put the disk in a slot, it's grabbed, and pulled in) that hole simply accesses a micro-switch that causes a electronic eject to be sent. That will only work if the original button electronics are broken and *not* the tray.
Old 04-23-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just posted the update for days 20-22! Youtube video should be up any second as well. http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...5-days_23.html
Old 04-23-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I feel your pain... in 5 years time I was called for Federal twice (fortunately both cancelled last minute - a 2.5 hour drive that one), District twice (with one I sat on *two* juries as they didn't have enough people show up so we got stuck to be called again following the first even though sitting on a jury is supposed to excuse you for the rest of the session, and I got picked *again*. The other time I was excused because the case was OBGYN based and my brother-in-law is a OBGYN), and County once (excused due to a conflicting trip that had been planned/booked for over 6 months and I had proof).

The time I got double-jeopardy the clerk said "Being selected for Jury Duty has about the same odds as winning the lotter so you people should consider yourself lucky!" I disagree...

That same time, one of the lawyers, when interviewing the prospective jury pool, asked: "What did you think when you got the Jury Duty card." Most answered "I felt priviliged/lucky" or other such balderdash (sucking up???). I answered: "Crap! Jury Duty *again*!" He replied: "So you don't really want to be here?" and I told him "No. I'd rather be almost anywhere else. It's a odious chore." That took him by surprise (I'm a bit surprised I wasn't hit with "contempt" over such a bold comment but it's the truth). But it was telling them I thought simple "possession" (not enough to resell) of a controlled substance shouldn't be illegal but that "dealers should be thrown under the jail and lose the key" that got me off that trial.

Of course *some* trials *can* be like a "B" movie...
That's pretty funny. In the Bronx, no one would ask the prospective jury pool such questions. They know better. It's a given that no one "really wants to be here." And I've gotten off of drug juries for saying the same thing you did.

What I find hilarious is how often, during questioning of prospective juries by judges, prosecutors or lawyers, the jurors will insist that the fact that they've gotten mugged or have relatives with drug problems or something won't influence their decisions in related cases. I always say, "Hell, yeah, it'll affect my ability to be fair and impartial!" And I always get a nice "Bye, Bye" from the judge.
Old 04-23-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got it last month but we call in the night before to see if we have to show up. My number didn't get called that week, so I didn't have to show up.
Old 04-23-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look at the bright side. Money for movies. I'm in bed, but wide awake. Looks like a night of movies, since I've got a pot of coffee on.
I was chosen (again) for a future Jury Selection on 5/15/15, but will be in Los Angeles, CA during that time, so I had to defer to a month later on 6/15/15.

Problem now is I start my 10-12 week Teaching Position on 6/1/15, so I had to email my future boss in hopes this wouldn't affect my employment.

The 5/15/15 trial was a (minimum) 6-week long assault case. Which even if I could make it to, would mean I would miss an entire month (or more) of my upcoming Teaching Position.

I thought that was too big of a sacrifice and am going to roll the dice on 6/15/15. Hopefully I won't get chosen again and that my future boss understands.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I also disagree on that too! The last time I was chosen before this was 3 years ago. I made it out of the random 'pool' of Jurors and into the courtroom. When I heard about the case, I expressed my bias towards hearing of drunk drivers (one of my friends' girlfriend was killed by one). The judge and lawyers let me go, sent me back to the office to get another trial that day. There were none, so I was good for 3 years.

Today, once again got picked out of the 'random' pool of Jurors in the office and made it to the courtroom. Judge gave everyone the option to fill out a questionnaire to possibly be chosen on 5/15/15 or defer to 6/15/15. When I told the judge I would be out of town 5/15, she said I had a 'choice'.

Not really. My choices were:

1. Cancel the trip my friend and I have planned for 5 months to Los Angeles the weekend of 5/15. Never see any of that money back. Miss a minimum of the first 4+ weeks of my Summer Teaching Position, which starts 6/1/15. I wouldn't even be there to see my students on the first day of classes.

2. Defer to 6/15/15, which means I get to teach for 14 days before I have to go back to the courthouse. There, I roll the dice and hope either I don't get picked, or picked for a MUCH shorter case, so I don't miss days with my students.

I emailed my boss as I got outside the courthouse with a long email. I really hope she understands and we can plan/prep for this now.

Last edited by asianxcore; 04-23-15 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deep Rising (1998) was the perfect film to use my first Wildcard on. Had no idea that film lost $34 million dollars in the box office.

It was also the perfect film after being so anxious & frustrated after my Jury Duty randomness today.
Old 04-23-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Deep Rising (1998) was the perfect film to use my first Wildcard on. Had no idea that film lost $34 million dollars in the box office.

It was also the perfect film after being so anxious & frustrated after my Jury Duty randomness today.
I remember there being a lot of hate for that movie, I don't think a wildcard would be needed.

Also you must have pissed off someone in the clerical office. I have never been picked in, I kind of want to be as my job pays the difference in wage so I would make the same and just have a little something different to do.
Old 04-23-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I remember there being a lot of hate for that movie, I don't think a wildcard would be needed.

Also you must have pissed off someone in the clerical office. I have never been picked in, I kind of want to be as my job pays the difference in wage so I would make the same and just have a little something different to do.
Thank you!

Yes, I'm pretty sure I pissed off someone in that office. I think the both times I've had to come in, they pick half of the jurors at random, so 75 jurors. Not sure how random a coin flip is

My boss at my upcoming teaching position emailed me back almost immediately saying that all of this will not affect my position there. Breathing a sigh of a relief after hearing that. Still have to be back 2 months from now and gamble again with the jury selection.

Random note, I love Two-Lane Blacktop (1971). Best $5 on a Blu-Ray I've ever spent.
Old 04-24-15, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My boss at my upcoming teaching position emailed me back almost immediately saying that all of this will not affect my position there. Breathing a sigh of a relief after hearing that. Still have to be back 2 months from now and gamble again with the jury selection.
FWIW it's required by law that you must be released from your job for jury duty no matter how long it takes, whether your employer likes it or not. They can't fire you, give you points, dock your pay, force you to use sick/vacation time, etc. They *can* reduce your pay by the amount you are paid for the required attendance so at worst you "break even."
Old 04-24-15, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice little write-up on Nazisploitation for anyone interested:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/sex_sadism_swastikas

Last edited by asianxcore; 04-24-15 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-24-15, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, just wanted to say I'm sorry I missed the challenge this year but glad to see its still going. Randomly I watched "Las Vegas Lady" tonight for the hell of it, so I'm with you in spirit. Even Stuart Whitman couldn't save this one.

And I read someone who seemed to be in pain after watching the amazing Angel Tompkins classic "The Teacher". I've seen that film probably 8 times and to me it's the epitome of what this challenge is about! In my top-20 list of 70s fare. Essential exploitation! The best viewed as a double-bill with "Pick-Up" as featured on the grindhouse cinemas set.

Happy watching mates.
Old 04-24-15, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After not being in the mood to watch anything yesterday, I started in early today, with a first time view of an Anaconda movie, that before I saw it listed on the Dish Guide a few weeks ago, I had never heard of. I just finished Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid. While the monkey was the best actor of the bunch, just due to it being a creature feature, I found it to be a fun movie.
Old 04-24-15, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So in anyone participating here had a chance to hit their local drive-in(s)? This is a photo taken just four days ago at the one nearest me. It's about a 25 minute drive and I hit it up about three or four times each summer. It's still under two feet of snow now due to a harsh winter, but it's scheduled to open for business again on May 16. It converted to digital projection about four years ago and the food is great. Also has direct-to-your-car food service and a nice retro canteen. The mini golf is still there, but it's in dreadful condition. There's also a family owned motel on site.

Old 04-24-15, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
So in anyone participating here had a chance to hit their local drive-in(s)?
I went to the drive-in on the first week-end of this month. Saw Home and Cinderella. Opening week-end of a brand new 3 screen drive-in, too, with attendant hiccups (nothing too onerous).
Old 04-24-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched my first Universal Monster Movie of the month, by watching Frankenstein. I debated which to watch, and found the disc handy.
Old 04-24-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
42.25) Mom and Dad (1945)
Did you applaud at the end like the man said to do?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.