DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
You know what, I might have to ponder that. The safe lists are for career B-movie lifers. He was a relatively big star at one point in his career before he descended to Cannon films. Or at least he gives me that impression. I'll put this one up to debate. Obviously, his Cannon films and the Deathwish series are safe, but would his '60s and early '70s output be "B" enough for this challenge? Great Escape? Magnificent Seven? I'm kind of leaning towards including him through the Tarantino loophole. Films and actors that inspired Quentin Tarantino are generally safe ("I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan.")
Aren't "westerns" and "war" usually waved through under "B-ish" anyway, or am I muddling challenges (again)...?
Old 03-05-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Here's a YouTube channel devoted to Italian Sword 'n' Sandal movies:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmx...BZk75lzexNA3Aw
Old 03-05-15, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Aren't "westerns" and "war" usually waved through under "B-ish" anyway, or am I muddling challenges (again)...?
Yeah, kind of. But I was more trying to list "A" movies that he had been in. Most of his films would be allowed, but the safe lists are for career "B" actors. Is he an A-list actor fallen on hard times near the end of his career, like Donald Pleasence or Malcolm McDowell, or is he just a really famous B actor, like Patrick Swayze, who seems more "A" than he really was?
Old 03-06-15, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah, kind of. But I was more trying to list "A" movies that he had been in. Most of his films would be allowed, but the safe lists are for career "B" actors. Is he an A-list actor fallen on hard times near the end of his career, like Donald Pleasence or Malcolm McDowell, or is he just a really famous B actor, like Patrick Swayze, who seems more "A" than he really was?
Bronson had so many phases to his career, it's hard to categorize him. I think he'd be more appropriate on the safe list for the current Action Adventure Crime Mystery challenge, since he did so many films in those genres, but he was far less often in B-movies than in A-movies. I mean, one of his earliest movies was PAT AND MIKE (1952), an MGM production starring Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn and directed by George Cukor! And then, 13 years later, he turns up in THE SANDPIPER (1965), also at MGM, and starring another big-screen power couple, Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, and directed by Vincente Minnelli!
Old 03-06-15, 09:09 AM

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. Most genre actors really only do a portion of their careers in that genre whereas B actors are usually lifers (outside of one or two shots at the big league. That's why safe lists work for this challenge but not for the others.
Old 03-06-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Are they bad? I know I have the channel but I they get breezed by in my guide almost every time. I recall being sick with the flu and for some reason watching an edited, with commercials, version of Kill Bill for some reason. Icky.

Now reading your post I see the thing with IFC is commercials. It's grating for sure on "movie" or "film" channels.
I remember back when they used to things like Samurai Saturday and breaks were related to what they were doing. I can live with commercials but now they show TV shows and seem to show more movies that are more mainstream friendly indie.

When they show something I like, it would end up turning into me finding a disc to watch since I'd rather not sit through the equivalent of when MTV shows a movie.
Old 03-06-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I just switched to FIOS from Comcast (or Xfinity, whatevs) so I'm spoiled for choice with the extra movie channels.

Just my opinion, but films like The Great Escape or The Magnificent Seven ought to be watched for this month's Action/ Adventure challenge. The Exploitation challenge should really focus on the low-budget gems (or cubic zirconia) that would never be allowed into the VIP room at the club. A taste for exquisite trash is just as essential for a film fan as enjoyment of the esoteric.
Old 03-06-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I thought the pattern has been to allow most Westerns other than John Ford-type A pictures for this challenge, and to allow all Westerns and war for the historical challenge because they're the original basis for that theme.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Is this the list thread or the discussion thread?
I prefer both threads to be specifically labeled as such, but the host is the one doing the work, not me, so I won't complain.
Old 03-06-15, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tell you, the ROKU was MADE for this challenge. Tons of content available for this challenge. Some free, others a dollar or two per movie. Drive-in Classics, Grindhouse Channel, Kung Fu Theater, Black Belt TV, and tons of horror.
It might be a good idea for us to put a list together of Roku channels that'll be great for the Challenge (both free and paid). For example, I know I snagged a few movies off Pub-D-Hub for the Challenge last year. It's a free channel, but for $2.99 (I believe) a year you get lots more content and no commercials. (Also, what's the 3D channel that Roku has?)
Old 03-06-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wayoutjunk
(Also, what's the 3D channel that Roku has?)
I'll dig it up. Off the top of my head, it's one of those b-movie/horror type channels and then it has a section for 3D.

I hate using my Roku. It's the first version from when they released it, so it's slow and I can't put a whole lot of channels on it before hitting the message about being out of memory to install. I just can't push myself to get a new one when I have chromecast and plex.
Old 03-06-15, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I thought the pattern has been to allow most Westerns other than John Ford-type A pictures for this challenge, and to allow all Westerns and war for the historical challenge because they're the original basis for that theme.
Right. Especially now that we have a challenge to address "A" westerns it's not so important to accommodate them. Spaghetti Westerns are explicitly included and Tom Mix/Gene Autry oaters are in as B pictures. I'm not one to draw lines and I rarely disallow anything, but if someone can't differentiate between The Searchers or High Noon and a Monogram Western then maybe they are missing the point of this challenge.

While the films I listed for Bronson might individually be eligible, I was more making a point about his "A" career. He was never a Paul Newman, but he's no Sid Haig, either.

Originally Posted by davidh777
I prefer both threads to be specifically labeled as such, but the host is the one doing the work, not me, so I won't complain.
The List thread is specifically labeled as such, but the discussion threads are usually just named after the challenge. At least that's the way this one has always been as well as the Horror Challenge, which is the template.
Old 03-06-15, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I'll dig it up. Off the top of my head, it's one of those b-movie/horror type channels and then it has a section for 3D.

I hate using my Roku. It's the first version from when they released it, so it's slow and I can't put a whole lot of channels on it before hitting the message about being out of memory to install. I just can't push myself to get a new one when I have chromecast and plex.
I got a refurb ROKU3 off Woot and it's great. Very quick. They have them every once in a while.
Old 03-06-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I have sooooo much content for this challenge and my new boss won't let me take any vacation in October for the OHMC so I may take some for this challenge.
Old 03-06-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I have both Epix Drive In, and El Rey. Don't forget Lifetime movies are eligible too.
Old 03-06-15, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have we ever had "Disaster Movies" on the list? It seems like there would be plenty of good/bad possibilities there!
Old 03-06-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I put in my 2 weeks for my 2nd job and I'll be graduating Art School in 1.5 weeks.

I might FINALLY have some time to devote to one of these again!
Old 03-07-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Drive-In Classics is the roku channel with a section of 3D movies.
Old 03-08-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never done this challenge before but I have a bunch of "hood classics" I want to re/watch in addition to some unopened martial arts. Should be fun. Can you believe I've never seen the Grindhouse double feature?
Old 03-09-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm wondering if any type of Martial Arts movies will qualify? What about HK, Korean or Japanese action movies will qualify? I'm wondering if I can continue watching the type of movies I have been watching for the Action Challenge. Could somebody kindly look at my list for the Action Challenge and see if those movies will qualify for this challenge? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I'm wondering if any type of Martial Arts movies will qualify? What about HK, Korean or Japanese action movies will qualify? I'm wondering if I can continue watching the type of movies I have been watching for the Action Challenge. Could somebody kindly look at my list for the Action Challenge and see if those movies will qualify for this challenge? Thanks in advance.
I haven't seen some of the titles you listed but it seems to be quite a bit of Shaw Bros and similar fare which is absolutely perfect for the challenge.
Old 03-09-15, 04:35 PM

I can't think of any Martial Arts films that would not qualify. There was originally some debate on the high class ones, like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, but I figure that it's a genre about a stylized method for kicking ass. How can any NOT count?
Old 03-09-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks! So my Martial Arts movies would qualify.

However, I have been watching some Asian Action movies too so I just want it to make sure they qualify like for example something like Oldboy, Police Story or Battle Royale type movies would qualify?
Old 03-09-15, 07:49 PM

I believe so. I'm pretty open to Asian genre films. Maybe something like an Asian drama might not count, but Asian action films count. I can't see where I would put them on the checklist (rough version is now up on post 3), but the checklist is more a suggestion than the law. Maybe I'll include Asian Action film as a category if there's no objection.
Old 03-09-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks! Okay, I'm in for this challenge also.
Old 03-09-15, 10:48 PM

Welcome to the challenge.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.