Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Voting is now open for "Best List"!

Cast your votes via PM.

DVD Talk Legend

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

And the winner of trivia question #3 is...

Darkgod

Congratulations! You're now the owner of the Blu-ray or DVD of your choice from DiabolikDVD.com:

Spoiler:

- Corruption (Grindhouse Releasing) (DVD / Blu-Ray Combo)
- Cannibal Holocaust (Grindhouse Releasing 3 Disc Blu-Ray / CD All Region Combo)
- Curtains (Synapse DVD)
- Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (Cult Epics Blu-Ray All Region)
- Prom Night (Synapse DVD)
- The Baby (Severin) (Blu-Ray All Region)

Courtesy of...

DVD Talk Legend

Trivia Question 4

Name 3 of your favorite horror films directors actors.

Once again, there's no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

You're playing for the final HamiltonBook.com "Super Prize Pack":

Spoiler:

- Crawlspace (Blu-ray)
- Prophecy Collection (Blu-ray)
- Horror Show (DVD/Blu-ray combo pack)
- Crystal Lake Memories (DVD/Blu-ray combo pack)
- Draculas: 4 Film Favorites
- Bay of Blood (Kino new version)
- Awful Dr. Orloff (Redemption new version)
- Hands of the Ripper
- Twins of Evil
- Puppet Master 1-3 (Remastered new version)
- Zombiethon/Filmgore/Savage Island
- American Horror Stories (Mill Creek 12 pack)
- Gorehouse Greats (Mill Creek 12 Pack)
- Mammoth Book of Slashers (Paperback book)
- Top 100 Horror Movies (Paperback book)

Courtesy of...

Contest is open till end of challenge.

Good luck.

Old 10-26-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

So, here's my question for everyone: what is your favorite entry in the Friday the 13th franchise?

I know it's been asked before, but I've been making my way through my new Friday the 13th Blu-ray boxed set this month. I just finished Part 6 to be ready for Tuesday's theme day pick, which is Part 7.

I had a friend ask me the very same question last week, and I immediately said Part 4. After finishing Part 6, though, I might reconsider that. I really enjoyed that rewatch. There were some great kills, and it seemed to have better constructed scenes and suspense. Also, there were some likable characters. The guy who worked at the graveyard in particular was really funny. What's everyone else's favorite?
Old 10-26-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

This week's "trivia" question for me:

Vincent Price
Boris Karloff
Christopher Lee

Only hard part about it is that it's tough to think about Lee without Cushing. I couldn't leave out either of my top 2. And it's not fair, but Lee usually got to play the flashier characters. Not to mention having immerse longevity to his career, well past the end of Hammer horror.
Old 10-26-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
So, here's my question for everyone: what is your favorite entry in the Friday the 13th franchise?

I know it's been asked before, but I've been making my way through my new Friday the 13th Blu-ray boxed set this month. I just finished Part 6 to be ready for Tuesday's theme day pick, which is Part 7.

I had a friend ask me the very same question last week, and I immediately said Part 4. After finishing Part 6, though, I might reconsider that. I really enjoyed that rewatch. There were some great kills, and it seemed to have better constructed scenes and suspense. Also, there were some likable characters. The guy who worked at the graveyard in particular was really funny. What's everyone else's favorite?
Here's my ranking of the series (or something close to it)- 2, 6, 4, 3, 7, 1, X, 5, 8, Hell
Old 10-26-14, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
It isn't just Wal-Mart overcharging for movies. More stores are sticking closer to MSRP for movies than ever before. Especially for bigger titles. I saw most of the couponed movies you mention at Wal-Mart the other day, and they were going for $12.96. Not terrible, but also not great for DTV movies that are being sold based on "the producers of". Thankfully, the holidays are right around the corner, so we should get price drops and decent sales soon enough.

300 has been hit a few times here in the past. I was (and remain) skeptical about anyone making such claims, but that is a can of worms I don't particularly care to open.
Yeah I really wanted to pick up See No Evil 2, but not at that price. But I don't think those movies that are part of The Purge 2 will ever see an in store sell. Usually just the big name movies get it during Black Friday.

Originally Posted by Gobear
Oh hells to the yeah, I would watch the hell out of that!

I watched The Battery, and it's stuck with me. At first I really didn't like it, but then it dawned on me that this would really be how the zombie apocalypse would go down; wandering on the road, surviving day by day, boredom punctuated by moments of terror. And I loved the soundtrack. I've just acquired some new bands to follow. The masturbation scene really got me; it's funny and yet deeply sad, being so cutoff from any erotic outlet that you have to get off to a dead woman's body..
Sadly, if it ever happens, that scene you mentioned will be done quite a lot.
Old 10-26-14, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Censored Sunday double feature, that was also an American International double feature on VHS with The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962) and The Vampire Lovers (1970).

They are currently the only versions I have on hand to view, though I have seen the uncut versions in the past, and eventually I'll get the blu-ray of The Vampire Lovers. It's interesting seeing how they were edited down compared to the uncut versions.

One thing I'm curious about is with The Brain That Wouldn't Die and what version was first released theatrically? The uncut version has "The Head That Wouldn't Die" title card at the end of the film. Meanwhile the cut version has "The End" and a 1962 copyright and distributor listed. So it's a mystery to me.

The Vampire Lovers is a really good movie and I'm liking it more each time I see it. Madeline Smith is gorgeous and Hammer as usual has plenty of stunning ladies in their films which is always a plus.

The Brain That Wouldn't Die is cheesy, and really perversely creepy entertainment. The mad doctor just oozes creep factor. He's such a sleazeball.

In regards to the question about favorite Friday the 13th film. That's a tough one,since I love the original film. But I also really love part 3 and 6, and part 2 as well. So it's usually a toss up between those, but each offer their own pleasantries that make me enjoy them in their own way. The first film is really quite effective and has some great atmosphere and is the freshest of the films. So that usually holds the top spot for me. Part 6 is totally awesome though and well made, and both very suspenseful,scary and funny and would've been the perfect finale for the series. I think both of those are four out of four star films.

Part 4 was always my least favorite film of the original 8 films. It offers no suspense or thrills and is a grisly depressing film that's not fun to watch once the killing begins. I like the characters. But the film itself just doesn't do it for me, since it's mean spirited without offering any suspense or build up, which is what makes a successful slasher in my opinion. The other sequels, at least the ones I listed and the original film all offer suspense, build up and atmosphere.
Old 10-26-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Boris Karloff
Bela Lugosi
Akira Takarada
Old 10-26-14, 08:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
This week's "trivia" question for me:

Vincent Price
Boris Karloff
Christopher Lee

Only hard part about it is that it's tough to think about Lee without Cushing. I couldn't leave out either of my top 2. And it's not fair, but Lee usually got to play the flashier characters. Not to mention having immerse longevity to his career, well past the end of Hammer horror.
That's funny. I had the same picks, but was actually thinking Peter Cushing as I typed Christopher Lee. Decided to not correct myself as they are pretty much tied in my mind.
Old 10-26-14, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Darkgod!

I've never really thought about which actors I like, so I went with the first 3 that came to mind:
Bruce Campbell
Bill Moseley
Jeffrey Combs

Guess it shows my age a bit preferring more modern people
Old 10-26-14, 09:36 PM

Jason Lives is my favourite. I'm not a big fan of the series in general, but that one is just so much fun. My ranking goes:
1. Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986)
2. Friday the 13th Part III (1982)
3. Freddy vs. Jason (2003) (if you want to include that)
4. Friday the 13th (1980)
5. Jason X (2001) (I saw it when I was young and I enjoyed it... I didn't know it was so hated, but I haven't rewatched it since)
6. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
7. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
8. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
9. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
10. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
11. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
Old 10-26-14, 09:43 PM

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I only have F13 movie novelizations, not any of the other books. I thought I had one or two of the others, but I don't recognize any I see on Amazon. I might've seen them somewhere but didn't want to pay whatever they were asking.
Sorry, typing on a phone mucked up my clarity... I was only talking about the novelisations. I understand they did VI first, then 1, 2 and 3, but there's also another separate novelisation of #3 by another author. So I presume there are five separate novelisations based on four of the F13 films out there.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
What's up with two different #3s by two different authors? I have the Michael Avalone version, but not the other one.
My not-very-knowledgable understanding is that 'someone' had Mr Avalone novelise F13 Part 3 when it came out, and then later asked Simon Hawke to novelise VI. Either it must have sold better than expected, or he enjoyed writing it (or both) because he then went back to the beginning and novelized 1, 2 and 3, presumably with the intention of him doing the whole series. I would imagine that either he tired of it (or got too busy with his other series'), sales dropped off (possibly standard attrition, possibly people already having a #3) or... some other factor stalled the novelisation series moving forward.

Actually, logically (if there's logic involved...), sales can't have been that high on most of the Hawke books or the second-hand prices wouldn't trend so high.

Last edited by ntnon; 10-26-14 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-26-14, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Sorry, typing on a phone mucked up my clarity... I was only talking about the novelisations. I understand they did VI first, then 1, 2 and 3, but there's also another separate novelisation of #3 by another author. So I presume there are five separate novelisations based on four of the F13 films out there.
Okay, it looks like the F13-3 in 3D novelization by Michael Avalone was the first one released (in '82, alongside the film). Then the next one released along with a film was VI, and I guess it sold well enough to get them to start over from the beginning with 1,2, & 3. I just figured the movies were popular enough for novelizations all along, and never thought to check anywhere. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 10-26-14, 10:02 PM

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Question: Are films adapted from horror novels and comics automatically horror films, or can things be lost in the adaptation that render them not..? Hulu and the IMDb both list Dorian Gray (2009) as primarily "Drama" for example...

I decided to be a little bit naughty and wild card in Alexander and the Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day today. Mostly because the wild card is available, and partly because it does after all mention the supernatural and revolve around a "cursed" day, however non-horrific it is.
Old 10-26-14, 10:03 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Favorite horror actors, I think:

Jeffrey Combs
Vincent Price
Peter Cushing
Old 10-26-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Vincent Price
Edwige Fenech
Tom Savini
Old 10-26-14, 10:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I watched Scream, Scream 2, and Scream 3 this weekend. I forgot how good those movies were. I thoroughly enjoyed watching all three of them again. I liked that they kept you guessing about who the killer was. That always makes the movie more interesting.
Old 10-26-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

I bought a movie based on it being in the banner, so Chad I am holding you responsible for the quality of the film Star Crystal
Old 10-26-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

My third choice actor was tough. I almost went with Vincent Price myself, but I love the early Godzilla films, so decided to show Akira Takarada some love.

All this talk about Friday the 13th has inspired me to finish the series this week. I like the sci fi aspect of Jason X pretty good, and another nod for /Jason Lives, though I hate how Tommy is treated in that one.
Old 10-26-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Favorite horror actors:

Robert Englund
Tony Todd
Sheri Moon Zombie *ducks behind cover*

Part 2. These movies ain't exactly Shakespeare, but I think Amy Steel gives a really good performance. I like the ending, too.
Old 10-26-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

My picks for favorite horror actors:

Vincent Price
Barbara Shelley
Peter Cushing
Old 10-27-14, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

Back from Zombie Crawl. Good news & Bad news. Good news was that I had a pretty good time (Check out zombie crasher at 1:15)

Bad news was that I came home to check out the 5-day forecast. And wouldn't ya know it, showers expected on the 31st. I HOPE it's just morning/afternoon showers, but the graphic doesn't look like it.

Final Chapter.
Old 10-27-14, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Avoid V/H/S Viral. It was a wretched waste of time. The found footage theme has really run its course, and no purpose is served by the poor editing and the tracking static in the stories.
Old 10-27-14, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Three of my favs (not really top three):

Karen Black
Lance Henriksen
Katharine Isabelle

These are more like my, "Oh, she/he's in this, then I'll give it a watch" type favorites.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.