Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-14, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I'm not doing the theme per se, but I am doing a horror movie marathon today. Any free time, horror movie, and stay up as late as I can watching horror movies, my own unofficial 'mass marathon of the damned' you might say.
Old 10-25-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by SethDLH
You're the 3rd or fourth person I've seen around this month praising it. I think Mother Of Tears is starting to get to that point that Halloween 3 took decades to get to where people can stop judging it for what it isn't and enjoy it for what it is. I always found MOT to be a gory good time but it was also almost universally hated upon release because it wasn't Suspiria or Inferno. Now that it is 6 or 7 years old I think it is slowly getting a bit more of the praise it deserves as folks are giving it another chance and knowing what not to expect.
While it may not be a good movie, it's certainly a fun one. Yeah, lot of hate at the time because people were expecting 70s Argento. But I don't know why you'd expect that after seeing the movies he's made over the last 20 years. The H3 comparison is a good one.

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
I just finished watching Messiah of Evil, which is the find of the challenge for me. Brilliant and very scary flick from 1973. Maybe one of the ten best horror movies I've ever seen. Reminded me a little bit of Let's Scare Jessica to Death.
I watched that movie a few years ago on one of those cheap 50 pack sets, and it blew me away (maybe even more so since so many movies in those packs that I never heard of are awful). I also got a Carnival of Souls vibe, with a bit of Zombie movie and a dash of Lovecraft. There are a couple of murder set-pieces that have really stuck with me (and if you saw it, you probably know what they are). Not because they were particularly gory, but just so damn effective in using everyday settings with a building intensity of dread.
Old 10-25-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished Revenge of the Creature. Maybe it's just me, but I really felt for the Gill Man in that movie. He was poked and prodded and shocked with a cattle prod for most of the movie. So in the end when he escaped and kidnapped the only woman who seemed to really care about him, I felt he was justified in doing that.
Old 10-25-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I hope you have better luck than I did with one of my 50 movie Mill Creek packs. I watched about 8 of them and they were mediocre to insultingly sickening.
They're certainly hit or miss with a heavy skew towards miss. The first one I watched was a dud (and the transfer certainly didn't help matters) but the 2nd half of the drive-in double feature (The Devil's Nightmare) has been a pleasant surprise for me.
Old 10-25-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anybody know of a newspaper ad featuring Graduation Day? I've found a YouTube trailer mentioning it playing at drive-ins and someone said they went to a double-bill of it with Dr. Butcher. I've searched through lots of ads, and I'm sure I remember seeing one. Any help appreciated.
Old 10-25-14, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't remember who it was that said listed Sexykiller in their best watches this challenge, but decided to watch it based on that and really liked it. I had heard of it previously but thought it was going to just be one of those films with a bunch of half-naked women for men to watch, but it was surprisingly really good (and more than that). The lead was quite funny and charismatic and it was some good fun that didn't take itself too seriously. The last part of the film felt a little random (not that the rest of the film wasn't also random...), but it all worked fairly well.
Old 10-25-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
...Sexykiller... really liked it... The lead was quite funny and charismatic and it was some good fun that didn't take itself too seriously. The last part of the film felt a little random (not that the rest of the film wasn't also random...), but it all worked fairly well.
I mentioned Sexy Killer earlier and similarly had watched it based on seeing it on some list of movies that fit a theme day. It really is a pleasant surprise and in some meta self referential comedy ways out "Screams" Scream. I'm surprised it's not more widely known, a very far out film.
Old 10-25-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to get confused with the last Saturday, Mass Marathon of the Damned theme. According to the "Watch Whatever" description in the theme EXAMPLES, in addition to the designated subject, it also is the theme to watch anything you want.

So if someone were to only watch theme movies, then for today, Drive-In Double Features and a marathon of any horror titles would meet the theme requirement. The Drive-In Double Features would be the minimum to fulfill the theme.

Yes?
Old 10-25-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I seem to get confused with the last Saturday, Mass Marathon of the Damned theme. According to the "Watch Whatever" description in the theme EXAMPLES, in addition to the designated subject, it also is the theme to watch anything you want.

So if someone were to only watch theme movies, then for today, Drive-In Double Features and a marathon of any horror titles would meet the theme requirement. The Drive-In Double Features would be the minimum to fulfill the theme.

Yes?
I'm sticking pretty much with the theme as it's pretty open with most of the film anyway. But I do think this day is reserved mostly to just go nuts and watch whatever horror you want. That's kind of a great idea as we get to near the end of the challenge when people might want to explore more of the stuff they've like along the way. I think this is the closest we have to "watch anything" day. I think it states that you only need to watch one feature that appeared in a drive-in ad to fulfill the theme. This even counts for the subset films. You need only watch one of the Phibes films to get the subset requirement in.
Old 10-25-14, 11:24 AM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Anybody know of a newspaper ad featuring Graduation Day? I've found a YouTube trailer mentioning it playing at drive-ins and someone said they went to a double-bill of it with Dr. Butcher. I've searched through lots of ads, and I'm sure I remember seeing one. Any help appreciated.
From here, paired with Final Exam:
Spoiler:
Old 10-25-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sticking pretty much with the theme as it's pretty open with most of the film anyway. But I do think this day is reserved mostly to just go nuts and watch whatever horror you want. That's kind of a great idea as we get to near the end of the challenge when people might want to explore more of the stuff they've like along the way. I think this is the closest we have to "watch anything" day. I think it states that you only need to watch one feature that appeared in a drive-in ad to fulfill the theme. This even counts for the subset films. You need only watch one of the Phibes films to get the subset requirement in.
That's probably why people always vote yes for this theme to be a returning theme. I'm not even doing theme nights any more, but I'm still doing the marathon myself.
Old 10-25-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Congratulations on the win, you have proven that horror movies do not actually rot one's brain.
Thank you. I can take pride a little bit of pride in proving that idea incorrect.

Originally Posted by brainee
Good job! Am I the only one who checked his post to see if all the words were spelled correctly?
Spoiler:
They were

But you'll notice he said he put off all horror movies until after the victory. If he hadn't, he may not have won. And that would be conclusive evidence that horror movies do rot the brain.
But keep in mind that I was already up to 76 on my list before the event took place. I'd say that's ample opportunity for rot. Maybe the horror movies actually *helped* my performance!
Old 10-25-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Day 24 reviews are posted! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...14-day-24.html
Old 10-25-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I was all set to lay about all day watching horror movies when my daughter dropped off 2 of her kids for us to babysit. Normally my grandson will watch some horror with me but after a couple he asked "What's with all the horror movies today?" I explained, again, about how October is Horror Movie Month but he didn't care. We're now watching the Narnia movies... Not that they are necessarily "bad" but I'd rather hold off another week or so for such diversions.
Old 10-25-14, 04:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I was all set to lay about all day watching horror movies when my daughter dropped off 2 of her kids for us to babysit. Normally my grandson will watch some horror with me but after a couple he asked "What's with all the horror movies today?" I explained, again, about how October is Horror Movie Month but he didn't care. We're now watching the Narnia movies... Not that they are necessarily "bad" but I'd rather hold off another week or so for such diversions.
You're a better man than me Bob. My wife and daughter (and grandkids in the far far future) will get nothing but horror from me in Octobers for perpetuity. If they want to watch something else they can, but I'm on my tablet or other TV watching horror.

No exceptions!!!!
Old 10-25-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I took a forced break from my marathon this afternoon when sleep took over. I guess that's a hazard of stretched out in bed watching tv. But I'm back at it, until family time this evening.
Old 10-25-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I took a detour from the list and decided to go with films I thought would make great drive-in bills and caught Anguish earlier today. It's easily my favorite watch of the challenge so far. I got an Argento film meets Pyscho vibe, and it's meta! And now I've gotten roped into an unintentional theme of films that have scenes in movie theaters, so The Blob '88, Messiah of Evil, and Demons are now in the lineup.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent

Yes?

Exactly. And just to clarify, you don't even to have to watch something off the drive-in double feature list. If you watch anything today, you have met the requirements for today's theme. The drive-in theme was paired up with the MMOTD because it makes for great marathon viewing, but the 'watch whatever' part remains in effect like always.
Old 10-25-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those of us who lost TCM, I was just looking at the MGM HD website to see their schedule. On Halloween, they are airing an all day Vincent Price movie marathon.
Old 10-25-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
From here, paired with Final Exam:
Spoiler:
THANKS SO MUCH alystarr!!! That is the exact double-bill I started the day with, without having even seen your post first! How bizarre. It's also a perfect pairing. Loved both of these! Final Exam is underrated and talk about weird seeing a prank sequence about multiple shootings on campus! Now it all fits the theme night perfectly. Thanks again for posting this.

I shall complete the night with Prom Night, making it a true campus drive-in triple feature!
Old 10-25-14, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm doing Dark Shadows today. Currently on disc 3 of 131. Don't think I'll finish by next week.
Old 10-25-14, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I'm doing Dark Shadows today. Currently on disc 3 of 131. Don't think I'll finish by next week.
There's always the TV on DVD and May Make Your Challenges to finish them
Old 10-25-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Not with that attitude!
Old 10-25-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just completed the Creature From the Black Lagoon Legacy Collection, by watching The Creature Walks Among Us . It seems the Gill Man was really the victim, and had been turned into a kind hearted creature by the third movie.
Old 10-25-14, 06:54 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I went with The Incredible Melting Man (1977) / Squirm (1976) so I could have a double showing of MST3K. It was also one of the few doubles listed where I hadn't seen either of them.
I'm stealing your idea and watching these two, even though I've seen them before. Two very funny episodes.

"The Incredible Melting Grandma." "Still better than Mrs. Doubtfire"
Old 10-25-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I've been looking through archives of old drive-in newspaper ads, trying to find a genuine line-up from back in the day. My criterion was that they had to be first-time views. I'm going with this double feature that played at the Cactus Drive-in in Tucson, AZ, on October 30, 1970. I already have concession stand ads and coming attractions DL'd that I'm going to play before and between the features.

Spoiler:
Are you saying you don't believe today's pick was "a genuine line-up from back in the day", or just that it wasn't a first-time view, so you didn't want to watch it again?

Just in case it was the former, here's the ad I originally posted in the old discussion thread, plus a copy (from back in the day) with a drive-in name attached:

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-25-14 at 07:17 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.