Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

"You don't understand, he likes to chase skunks in the woods. And when he finds them he tries to mate with them. Only skunks don't like to mate with poodles. So they spray him and then he really gets turned on!"

A snippet of dialog from The Video Dead
Old 10-18-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by brainee
Has anyone else ever seen Valerie and Her Week of Wonders? It aired on TCM in the last week (so I guess that means it should be on their on-demand service too). I just watched it from my DVR last night. The on-screen guide (and most movie websites) have it listed as just the fantasy genre (and the synopsis I saw just talked about a girl and her magic earrings), but it certainly counts as horror too: it's a vampire story (no spoiler there - the vampires appear very early). It's very dreamlike, surrealistic, and symbolic ... so it's certainly not for everyone. But I found it quite striking. Kind of like a less sleazy (and better directed) Jean Rollin movie. As if a director like Fellini, Bunuel, or Bergman wanted to make a vampire movie (comparisons to Dreyer's Vampyr and Herzog's Nosferatu are also apt).
I watched it sometime in the back half of the Naughties, I think. I liked it, but I haven't re-watched it since. I'm probably due for a revisit. It's one of those watch once every ten years movies. Just have to remember where I put the dvd.
Old 10-18-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Forgot how much fun Slumber Party Massacre was, and the Scream Factory blu looks pretty darn good. Almost popped in the sequel until remembering they all (including Sorority House Massacre) took the Aztec Mummy approach and pad them with footage from the original.

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Finally able to sit down and give today's amazing theme a go. Starting off with this one where I know Cameron Mitchell turns up as a video store owner/clerk. That's perfect!

Love that one even though it's essentially Continental Video plugging their own video line. I was even gonna do a marathon alongside Terror in the Aisles, Mad Ron's Prevues from Hell, and Zombiethon, but Netflix stopped streaming the latter.
Old 10-18-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Day 17 reviews are up! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...14-day-17.html
Old 10-18-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So I want to check out the new Elvira stuff on Hulu but was curious what people here think of Hulu+ who has it. Do they have commercials before or during TV shows or movies? How long are they? What's the picture and sound quality of their streaming like? And are they any better codes that can be used than just a free week trial (1 week seems the best I can find that can be actually used right now).
Commercials plague TV content (although it's not quite as bad as "real" US TV), but every film I've watched has been completely free. Also, the Criterion TV bits seem to be advert-free, too. Typically the advert breaks are at the regular TV break points, and usually around a minute long (usually 1 x 1m or 2 x 30s), give or take.

I've been happy with picture and sound (although I don't think I've been watching anything in HD, if that matters). Using an old iPad 1, it rarely has to buffer at all, and only takes a few seconds to 'rewind' on the. Ouple of occasions I've needed to do that.

Their "auto-play" feature can be annoying, but can be turned off. Their search function is pretty rubbish, and I am yet to find a good way to get the the 'main' page for any film - the search page takes me straight to the video, the pause's 'more info' only gives a single line and also doesn't link back - but that's a minor annoyance.

I easily found a bonus 1 month code, but it didn't apply automatically. However, calling the customer service people was very, very easy. Probably the most pleasant customer servive experience I've had (bar TCM) in years. So I got five weeks free.
Old 10-18-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Watching Carries back-to-back... I can't decide whether I'm quite annoyed that they made Sue "nice" in the remake, or a little baffled as to whether she was meant to be in the first one. I was thinking that she asked her boyfriend to take Carrie solely to set her up; in the remake she seems to be genuinely trying to make amends. Was there ambiguity in the original that sailed over my head, or was it changed to make sure that everyone wasn't a heartless bitch...?

Spoiler:
(Plus it's now the boyfriend's idea to go after pigs, not the main girl. Basically, it looks like it's almost* a line-for-line remake, excepting that everything that was even slightly underplayed, subtle or not spelled out in great detail the first time round IS in the remake. How disappointing. If not unexpected.)

*Different poem/reader. 7 o'clock not 8 o'clock. Then lengthy speeches about Feelings, but otherwise...
I know in the remake, she was trying to make amends, but it did seem in the original that she was trying to be nice as well. It wasn't AS obvious but it did seem to be that way.
Old 10-18-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Watched Friday the 13th The Final Chapter earlier today, and forgot how typically 80s it was. One quote, 'What if the psycho came in here?' 'He'd probably challenge him to a game of Zaxxon.', and how short the shorts were, on the guys.

Then this afternoon I decided to take a break from the F13 movies and popped in a Universal picture I hadn't seen in a long time, Dracula's Daughter. Still enjoy it.
Old 10-18-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Watching Carries back-to-back... I can't decide whether I'm quite annoyed that they made Sue "nice" in the remake, or a little baffled as to whether she was meant to be in the first one. I was thinking that she asked her boyfriend to take Carrie solely to set her up; in the remake she seems to be genuinely trying to make amends. Was there ambiguity in the original that sailed over my head, or was it changed to make sure that everyone wasn't a heartless bitch...?
Hmmm ... I always saw Sue's actions (in the original) as trying to be nice. She regretted contributing to Carrie's humiliation in the showers and wanted to do something to make it up to her.

Taken on it's own, I supposed the remake is an alright movie. But I can't take it on its own because I can't wipe out the original from my memory. And the remake is appallingly lazy, slavishly following the original scene-by-scene (and line-by-line in some parts). Except for the occasional nod to modern technology and CG effects. Very disappointing, because I was looking forward to a fresh approach to the story. There were aspects of the novel that the film didn't use:
Spoiler:
for example, after Carrie's destruction of the school she pretty much lays waste to the entire city. I really thought that, with increased special effects technology, the new version would show this.
In promotional interviews, I heard the filmmakers of the remake talking about how they were going back to the source novel instead of the DePalma movie. Given the resulting film, I have to conclude that that was an outright lie.
Old 10-18-14, 04:14 PM

Spoiler:
(Plus it's now the boyfriend's idea to go after pigs, not the main girl. Basically, it looks like it's almost* a line-for-line remake, excepting that everything that was even slightly underplayed, subtle or not spelled out in great detail the first time round IS in the remake. How disappointing. If not unexpected.)

*Different poem/reader. 7 o'clock not 8 o'clock. Then lengthy speeches about Feelings, but otherwise...
Now I've decided: annoyed and irritated that anyone felt the need to remake it.

Aside from the continuous insertion of camera phones, and an irritating need to keep on mentioning that what they were doing was A Crime, there was nothing good in the remake at all. Worse, everything that was different lessened the film considerably. For instance...

Spoiler:
Sue being 'good' (and coming back to visit at the end) ruins the isolation of Carrie. She isn't alone in 2013.
The telekinesis practicing is learned-curiosity Matilda-y, not brought-up-scared Carrie-y.
Locking her mother away (blatantly showing her powers) is a teenager exerting power, not brief child rebellion. Rather than her saying 'I'll be OK', now she says 'Up Yours'. Which seems wrong.
Since Sue and her boyfriend are nice, and ARE being nice to Carrie, that ruins his rejection of the plot and revulsion at his "friends'" actions. Then, he knew he was involved but recognised they went Too Far and that Carrie was alright; now he just reacted to an unknown thing happening.
Carrie's showmanship during the Prom completely ruins everything: she is no longer reacting striking back at bullies, she is deliberately revelling in mayhem and murder.
Moreover, that in 2013 they ARE laughing at her, a) is daft, but b) somewhat justifies her. However...
...the non-complicity of all but two-ish in the plot against her makes her having a go at them a crime, not punishment. In the seventies, she's driven mad and ey deserve it. In 2013, she's aware of her actions and they do NOT deserve it. Specifically, in the de Palma version, pretty-much-everyone is a bit mean to her, including the teacher who wants to slap her. In e Prom mayhem, the teacher (presumably) dies, but as a bystander. In 2013, the teacher is on her side, but it looked like she was still singled out for attack.
The car crash at the end was pointed, malicious revenge in 2013, whereas in the original it was reflex and self-preservation.

That last point - added to the preachiness and unnecessary explanatory parts ("remember Gran had powers, it just skipped a generation with you" ugh) - really sums up what was wrong with how the remake was executed: it wasn't the logical reactions of a scared, naive and brainwashed child, it was the deliberate actions of a suddenly-aware-regardless-of-logic teen intoxicated with power. Sissy Spacek was scared of her mother, her peers and her power. Grace thing overcame all her fears, unless Plot required otherwise. Piper Laurie was driven mad by a twisted grasp on religion and self-loathing, Moore was self-harming and angry, with an undercurrent of religion.
Old 10-18-14, 04:18 PM

Hmmm ... I always saw Sue's actions (in the original) as trying to be nice. She regretted contributing to Carrie's humiliation in the showers and wanted to do something to make it up to her.
Thanks for that. So it IS possible to have that opinion of the first Sue. I thought she was deeply involved in manipulating Carrie into place. (In the remake, there seemed to be no attempt to even rig the vote... Maybe I missed it.)

In promotional interviews, I heard the filmmakers of the remake talking about how they were going back to the source novel instead of the DePalma movie. Given the resulting film, I have to conclude that that was an outright lie.
Looks like it. I guess the repeated dialogue might be due to both adapted literally passage of the novel, but... No, that doesn't seem likely that went back to the book.
Old 10-18-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,125 Likes on 689 Posts

Commercials plague TV content (although it's not quite as bad as "real" US TV), but every film I've watched has been completely free. Also, the Criterion TV bits seem to be advert-free, too. Typically the advert breaks are at the regular TV break points, and usually around a minute long (usually 1 x 1m or 2 x 30s), give or take.

I've been happy with picture and sound (although I don't think I've been watching anything in HD, if that matters). Using an old iPad 1, it rarely has to buffer at all, and only takes a few seconds to 'rewind' on the. Ouple of occasions I've needed to do that.

Their "auto-play" feature can be annoying, but can be turned off. Their search function is pretty rubbish, and I am yet to find a good way to get the the 'main' page for any film - the search page takes me straight to the video, the pause's 'more info' only gives a single line and also doesn't link back - but that's a minor annoyance.

I easily found a bonus 1 month code, but it didn't apply automatically. However, calling the customer service people was very, very easy. Probably the most pleasant customer servive experience I've had (bar TCM) in years. So I got five weeks free.
Thanks for the info! Did you call them first or place the order and then call them?
Old 10-18-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks like it. I guess the repeated dialogue might be due to both adapted literally passage of the novel, but... No, that doesn't seem likely that went back to the book.
I think what really gives it away (that the filmmakers of the remake were following the earlier movie) was the ending ...
Spoiler:

The fact that they had to copy the jump-scare of Carrie's hand to frighten Sue. You wouldn't get that from the book; you get it from the earlier movie. But of course the remake has to try to outdo the original (by the hand not coming from the grave, but Sue herself).
Old 10-18-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aside from the continuous insertion of camera phones, and an irritating need to keep on mentioning that what they were doing was A Crime, there was nothing good in the remake at all. Worse, everything that was different lessened the film considerably. For instance...

Spoiler:
Sue being 'good' (and coming back to visit at the end) ruins the isolation of Carrie. She isn't alone in 2013.
The telekinesis practicing is learned-curiosity Matilda-y, not brought-up-scared Carrie-y.
Locking her mother away (blatantly showing her powers) is a teenager exerting power, not brief child rebellion. Rather than her saying 'I'll be OK', now she says 'Up Yours'. Which seems wrong.
Since Sue and her boyfriend are nice, and ARE being nice to Carrie, that ruins his rejection of the plot and revulsion at his "friends'" actions. Then, he knew he was involved but recognised they went Too Far and that Carrie was alright; now he just reacted to an unknown thing happening.
Carrie's showmanship during the Prom completely ruins everything: she is no longer reacting striking back at bullies, she is deliberately revelling in mayhem and murder.
Moreover, that in 2013 they ARE laughing at her, a) is daft, but b) somewhat justifies her. However...
...the non-complicity of all but two-ish in the plot against her makes her having a go at them a crime, not punishment. In the seventies, she's driven mad and ey deserve it. In 2013, she's aware of her actions and they do NOT deserve it. Specifically, in the de Palma version, pretty-much-everyone is a bit mean to her, including the teacher who wants to slap her. In e Prom mayhem, the teacher (presumably) dies, but as a bystander. In 2013, the teacher is on her side, but it looked like she was still singled out for attack.
The car crash at the end was pointed, malicious revenge in 2013, whereas in the original it was reflex and self-preservation.

That last point - added to the preachiness and unnecessary explanatory parts ("remember Gran had powers, it just skipped a generation with you" ugh) - really sums up what was wrong with how the remake was executed: it wasn't the logical reactions of a scared, naive and brainwashed child, it was the deliberate actions of a suddenly-aware-regardless-of-logic teen intoxicated with power. Sissy Spacek was scared of her mother, her peers and her power. Grace thing overcame all her fears, unless Plot required otherwise. Piper Laurie was driven mad by a twisted grasp on religion and self-loathing, Moore was self-harming and angry, with an undercurrent of religion.
I actually ENJOYED the car scene you mention. In the original it was eh, but remake was the best thing. Bitch deserved it. Rather Carrie was aware or not, she had it coming. That was the one part I enjoyed, though in the remake, wish it was a slower death.
Old 10-18-14, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Thanks for the info! Did you call them first or place the order and then call them?
Ordered then called a couple of days later. Explained that I had had the code and had been looking for a box to enter it, but didn't see one... "I'm new, can I get it added/extended, etc." And the lady I was talking to could not have been more helpful.
Old 10-18-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Then this afternoon I decided to take a break from the F13 movies and popped in a Universal picture I hadn't seen in a long time, Dracula's Daughter. Still enjoy it.
Good movie and one of if not the earliest example of lesbianism in vampire films.
Old 10-18-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

Any opinions on the movie Sinister? I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by it. I did think it faltered some as it went along, but I still found it genuinely creepy in parts. Maybe it was just because it was my first movie of the day.

Spoiler:

Count me as another person who thought the Sue in the original film was being genuine and wanting to make amends with Carrie.
Old 10-18-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I don't know where you got this idea. In the first film, to me, the casting, the characters' actions, and their dialogue pointed to Sue and Tommy being "good kids" and Chris and Billy being "bad kids." Sue felt bad after what had happened and wanted to make up for it, so she had Tommy take Carrie to the prom.

And going back to the source material, near the end of the book,
Spoiler:
Carrie reads Sue's mind and sees that Sue meant her no harm and wasn't setting her up.

Taken on it's own, I supposed the remake is an alright movie. But I can't take it on its own because I can't wipe out the original from my memory. And the remake is appallingly lazy, slavishly following the original scene-by-scene (and line-by-line in some parts).
I hadn't read the novel in 30+ years, and was interested to see if the new movie was more of an adaptation of the book or a remake of the first movie, so I reread it. I was actually surprised that most of what's in the first film (and the new one) is in the book. Including a lot of dialogue. The biggest changes were
Spoiler:
the way Carrie killed her mom, and Sue never went to the prom.
Both of those things were handled the same way in the first film and in the newest movie, which tells me they did follow the first film (at least some), but a couple of scenes that weren't in the original were on the Blu-ray (they might've been deleted scenes though:
Spoiler:
Carrie's mom giving birth. Rocks falling from the sky after little Carrie talks to the neighbor about her "dirty pillows.")

Except for the occasional nod to modern technology and CG effects. Very disappointing, because I was looking forward to a fresh approach to the story. There were aspects of the novel that the film didn't use:
Spoiler:
for example, after Carrie's destruction of the school she pretty much lays waste to the entire city. I really thought that, with increased special effects technology, the new version would show this.
Stay away from the 2002 TV version then.
The story had been filmed twice before. Nothing's stopping you from only watching the first one.
I thought the use of the camera phone was one of the better things about the newest version. And Billy telling Chris that dropping buckets of blood on people is assault and could mean jail time comes straight from the novel.
Spoiler:
What? Maybe I need to look at the ending again.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
This comes from the original novel too, so maybe I didn't give them enough credit for doing a new adaptation instead of a remake of the first film.

Spoiler:
Where are you getting that Tommy knows anything about what is going to happen at the prom?
Spoiler:
If he knew, why would he stand under a bucket that's going to hit him on the head and kill him?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It was always about revenge on her classmates for a lifetime of bullying. I'm actually surprised they were allowed to make a new version of the film because of that.

And I don't think the gym teacher was killed. I think Carrie just pushed her away.

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure, in all three filmed versions, as in the book,
Spoiler:
Billy was trying to run Carrie over.

Spoiler:
That last point - added to the preachiness and unnecessary explanatory parts ("remember Gran had powers, it just skipped a generation with you" ugh)
Guess what?
Spoiler:
Another thing that was in the f'ing original novel (except it was Carrie's mom's grandmother who could move stuff with her mind).

Spoiler:
- really sums up what was wrong with how the remake was executed: it wasn't the logical reactions of a scared, naive and brainwashed child, it was the deliberate actions of a suddenly-aware-regardless-of-logic teen intoxicated with power. Sissy Spacek was scared of her mother, her peers and her power. Grace thing overcame all her fears, unless Plot required otherwise. Piper Laurie was driven mad by a twisted grasp on religion and self-loathing, Moore was self-harming and angry, with an undercurrent of religion.
Spoiler:
Mom's self-harming (and her weird religion, and calling her pregnancy with Carrie "cancer") - from the book.

Thanks for that. So it IS possible to have that opinion of the first Sue. I thought she was deeply involved in manipulating Carrie into place. (In the remake, there seemed to be no attempt to even rig the vote... Maybe I missed it.)

I still don't see where you got that from. They even show Sue at the prom where she discovers what Chris and Billy are going to do to Carrie
Spoiler:
a scene not in the novel.
I think they did show some of Chris's friends rigging the votes in the new movie, but it might not have been "in your face." Maybe I'll scan through the movie and check later. In the novel, all Chris does is
Spoiler:
tell people to vote for Tommy and Carrie.

I think what really gives it away (that the filmmakers of the remake were following the earlier movie) was the ending ...
Spoiler:

The fact that they had to copy the jump-scare of Carrie's hand to frighten Sue. You wouldn't get that from the book; you get it from the earlier movie. But of course the remake has to try to outdo the original (by the hand not coming from the grave, but Sue herself).
That, and the stuff I mentioned earlier, plus I think they redid "the girls and the guys getting ready for the prom" montage.

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-18-14 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anybody who still watches the simpsons Halloween episodes. The new treehouse of horror is suppose to air tomorrow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehouse_of_Horror_XXV
Old 10-18-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Any opinions on the movie Sinister? I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by it. I did think it faltered some as it went along, but I still found it genuinely creepy in parts. Maybe it was just because it was my first movie of the day.

Count me as another person who thought the Sue in the original film was being genuine and wanting to make amends with Carrie.
LOVED Sinister. Thought it was well done and one of the better theater horror movies to come out in a while. Cannot wait for the sequel.
Old 10-18-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
LOVED Sinister. Thought it was well done and one of the better theater horror movies to come out in a while. Cannot wait for the sequel.
There's a sequel coming up? I had no idea. That could be really good. I can see where the premise has legs and can be improved upon. I did really like the use of found footage in this film. That footage was some of the most effective in the movie, and yet, it wasn't the central storytelling method.

Also, I kept thinking about Ethan Hawke while I was watching it. I never really thought of him as a horror guy, but he seems to be showing up a lot more in them in the last few years.

I can definitely see myself revisiting the movie post-challenge. Shit, I just checked and the Blu-ray is only $9.96 at Amazon right now. That's mighty tempting ... I wish I hadn't bought so many other titles recently!
Old 10-18-14, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

re: Graveyard Shift(1990)

I don't really know the difference, but if it was edited for content, it was probably the TV version.
If it shows
Spoiler:
the surviving drifter character punching out on the clock as he leaves the building after defeating the monster.
That's the TV-version alternate ending. It doesn't get shown as much lately though and is mostly just the theatrical version edited for content.

The last time I saw the TV version was on basic TV(not cable) a couple years ago. It was interesting to see just how much footage was added; since the film didn't get to the
Spoiler:
basement being cleaned, and them discovering the tunnels below the factory
until their was only 30 minutes left(with commercials) in the two hour time slot!

re: Carrie
I haven't seen the remake yet, but it sounds worth skipping, especially if stuff shown in the teaser trailer
Spoiler:
town destruction
isn't in the film, that's a huge disappointment.

Here is a comparison between the theatrical and alternate ending of the remake. Basically it looks like the theatrical went for a more subtle ending. While the alternate went for a over the top attempt at one upping the jump scare ending of the De Palma film. It looks pretty comical to myself, though I don't know how it plays out in motion. But just knowing the attitude going into the scene of attempting to out do the 1976 film makes it amusing to myself, since they're trying to hard and it's to obvious.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=463760

I read the book years ago and may give it a reread after finding a copy for free in the dumpster outside Half Price Books(it was at the top of the book pile, so I wasn't dumpster diving). It was a movie-tie in edition of the novel with photos from the 1976 film, and even a newspaper clipping from the 70's about a bullied teen girl in high school! So that was a pretty cool find.

I definitely need to get the original version on Blu--Ray since it looks like Scream Factory won't be releasing it any time soon. I bought Escape from New York earlier in the year, and then find out they acquired it for a special edition release next year. So I held off on Carrie just in case. But the price is right, so I should pick it up, since it's the movie that matters over extra features.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 10-18-14 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I plan to work hard today, but I'm in the same boat, that I -might- make it to 100 if I work at it. In the 40s now.
The biggest thing impacting me right now is a slight change in my work schedule. Most of shifts have been pushed back an hour. An 8-5 shift isn't that bad, but that 9-6 shift breaks me for some reason. I come home just exhausted.
Old 10-18-14, 10:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The biggest thing impacting me right now is a slight change in my work schedule. Most of shifts have been pushed back an hour. An 8-5 shift isn't that bad, but that 9-6 shift breaks me for some reason. I come home just exhausted.
My work schedule has shifted for the worse as well. We're short two full time night shifters right now, so we day shifters are having to pick up a lot of night shifts. What sucks the most is that it usually means I work a day shift, have 24 hours off, work a night shift, have 24 hours off, then back to days. It's pretty much the worst thing possible for a body. When the heck do I sleep after working all night tonight (Saturday) for example? Can't sleep all day Sunday like I should, because then I'm up all night and can't function at work Monday.

But at least I have a job where I can pretty much watch movies most of the shift.
Old 10-18-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Surprised myself today by getting in 4. The highlight of the day was The Shadow of the Vampire. What if the man, Max Shrek, who played the vampire in Nosferatu, really was a vampire? Love it.
Old 10-18-14, 11:44 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Sinister is good, I started thinking the premise was cliche but despite that it sure does get eerie and tense. Sinister doesn't pull many punches (as far as more recent commercial horror goes); definitely worth seeing. It turns things up to 11 on ghastly.
Originally Posted by SethDLH
Good movie and one of if not the earliest example of lesbianism in vampire films.
Dear Dracula's Daughter,

Thank you for your legacy that became Jess Franco.

[What the world needs now really is an epic lesbian vampire movie; whatever happened to eurosleaze?]
Originally Posted by Chad
...Netflix stopped streaming the latter.
I've become increasingly disgruntled with NetFlix's offerings; not sure if it's just that the honeymoon period is over or if they're going downhill. Glad to see the "soon to be a movie I watch" Witching and Bitching show up (from The Last Circus director; go see The Last Circus now if you haven't already... even though it's not horror).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-18-14 at 11:55 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.