Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I'm trying to decide how literally I should take tomorrow's "1980's Video Companies" theme. I have a few old horror tapes and a VCR to play them on, but I think I also own all those movies on DVD and I don't want to watch a fuzzy pan & scan copy of a film I could watch in widescreen (not even for nostalgia). I own a bunch of films in the link on DVD, but that seems like "cheating"...

Maybe I'll look for something on YouTube that hasn't been released on DVD. Any suggestions?
I have not seen this, I just know it never made it off VHS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waIh-E8ZQGs
Old 10-17-14, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Did you watch it dubbed or subbed?
Pretty sure it was subbed, I avoid dubbed versions as much as possible.
Old 10-17-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Pretty sure it was subbed, I avoid dubbed versions as much as possible.
More evidence to my point.

Tonight's beers (pics will be a little less polished now that I am doing this 100% iPad)

Old 10-17-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Seems like the discussions for the movie of the day is dying a slow death
Old 10-17-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Goodbye Trevor. You will be missed.

ps. Can I have your movie and comic book collection?
Old 10-17-14, 10:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Goodbye Trevor. You will be missed.

ps. Can I have your movie and comic book collection?
I think Travis and David get first dibs on the comics. But seriously, much of my near Smithee levels of boxes will go to you all. My wife knows this; but I doubt you all will be coordinated and bothered enough to make the effort. Could be an epic thread though.....
Old 10-17-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I have not seen this, I just know it never made it off VHS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waIh-E8ZQGs
Thanks. Looks like something I'd watch once anyway, so I'll check it out.
Old 10-18-14, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
(Me: "Particularly given the Jungle and Invisible ones that should be included, but aren't really there for their own reasons,")

You lost me there...
Sorry, I was re-typing on my phone for about the third time, and it wound up a lot more garbled than earlier attempts...

I was aiming for saying something like you basically say below: 'As the Invisible sequels and Jungle films aren't "horror" films, but by virtue of their proximity - and being sequels to a 'horror' film - have a somewhat legitimate claim to being on the full list, despite their non-horror genres.'

...and then, given that some non-horror films are legitimately "Universal Horrors," what about the similarly-semi-scary Hound of the Baskervilles?

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I've seen argument in several places about including certain of the Rathbone Holmes films due to plot. While several are "Thrillers" they are *not* "Horror" IMHO. I included a couple that aren't true "horror" films due to their inclusion in the Universal Legacy collections, other collections identified as "horror", or traditionally included in spite of not being true horror films.
I think it's only Hound that even comes close, and I'm not sure I even think it'd be a reasonable addition. But... given that probably a good fifth already aren't "horror," and it does get labeled (story and film(s)) as horror... maybe?
Old 10-18-14, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I was going to slow down and start actually sleeping again, but apparently this is my last Challenge so I might as well try to go out with a win. That Dallas Ebola nurse who was transferred to NIH today flew into the little airport a couple miles from where I live; AND fifty miles away the hospital where I work (60 hours a week for the rest of the year due to being understaffed) is now treating an Ebola patient.

This is the end. (Wasn't that the name of a movie?)
Erg.

Don't believe all the rumours, do read the internal memos, and make sure your protective clothing isn't patched up with surgical tape and you should be fine.
Old 10-18-14, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tonight I watched Halloween 4: The Return of Micheal Myers (1988). It's easily one of the best sequels in the series, and still gives me the chills today. I love the first half of the opening credit sequence being so ominous and low key. And then the ending is just grim and startling, and leaves you chilled to the bone, while the low key ominous score plays.

Also the
Spoiler:
boarded up in a secure house, while Myers lurks inside unknowingly to the characters is one of the scariest set pieces in a film ever.

I should also note that the basement light burnt out, so it was scary going down to watch the film in the entertainment room, and also after it was over since it's pitch black down there. I had a flashlight with me to see, and naturally the battery was going out. So I ran up to my room afterwards with my dog and have the light in my room on, to try to calm me down a bit, and not let my imagination run away with me. I may have nightmares tonight though. But I'm trying to keep my mind off thinking about Myers right now.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
While I've seen it before, I just finished Graveyard Shift as part of AMC's Fearfest, and was curious, would that be considered a creature feature? I'm not doing the checklist or anything, was just wondering with the rats.
Did AMC air the theatrical version or the rare TV version of the film? The TV version while edited for content has tons of added scenes that flesh out the characters and plot more, and even an extended/alternate ending.

While the film isn't that great. Brad Dourif is a hoot in his small role, and I really did like the added scenes in the TV version. So it'd be cool if this version were more easily available.
Old 10-18-14, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Tonight I watched Halloween 4: The Return of Micheal Myers (1988). It's easily one of the best sequels in the series, and still gives me the chills today. I love the first half of the opening credit sequence being so ominous and low key. And then the ending is just grim and startling, and leaves you chilled to the bone, while the low key ominous score plays.

I should also note that the basement light burnt out, so it was scary going down to watch the film in the entertainment room, and also after it was over since it's pitch black down there. I had a flashlight with me to see, and naturally the battery was going out. So I ran up to my room afterwards with my dog and have the light in my room on, to try to calm me down a bit, and not let my imagination run away with me. I may have nightmares tonight though. But I'm trying to keep my mind off thinking about Myers right now.

I enjoy the Halloween movies, but only have 1-3 on DVD, and afaik, 6, and Resurrection are the only ones on Netflix. I wonder if 4 will be on AMC later this month though.

Did AMC air the theatrical version or the rare TV version of the film? The TV version while edited for content has tons of added scenes that flesh out the characters and plot more, and even an extended/alternate ending.

While the film isn't that great. Brad Dourif is a hoot in his small role, and I really did like the added scenes in the TV version. So it'd be cool if this version were more easily available.

I don't really know the difference, but if it was edited for content, it was probably the TV version.

Decided I'm going to go through my F13, Halloween, and Universal monster movies, while dipping into my MC sets before the end of the month.
Old 10-18-14, 12:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Erg.

Don't believe all the rumours, do read the internal memos, and make sure your protective clothing isn't patched up with surgical tape and you should be fine.
Oh, I'm just playing along with the hysteria. I'm not at all worried.
Old 10-18-14, 01:04 AM

Watching Carries back-to-back... I can't decide whether I'm quite annoyed that they made Sue "nice" in the remake, or a little baffled as to whether she was meant to be in the first one. I was thinking that she asked her boyfriend to take Carrie solely to set her up; in the remake she seems to be genuinely trying to make amends. Was there ambiguity in the original that sailed over my head, or was it changed to make sure that everyone wasn't a heartless bitch...?

Spoiler:
(Plus it's now the boyfriend's idea to go after pigs, not the main girl. Basically, it looks like it's almost* a line-for-line remake, excepting that everything that was even slightly underplayed, subtle or not spelled out in great detail the first time round IS in the remake. How disappointing. If not unexpected.)

*Different poem/reader. 7 o'clock not 8 o'clock. Then lengthy speeches about Feelings, but otherwise...

Last edited by ntnon; 10-18-14 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-18-14, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Oh, I'm just playing along with the hysteria. I'm not at all worried.
Good, good! Do watch out for those ill-fitting coverings, though...
Old 10-18-14, 02:03 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

A Virgin Among the Living Dead has always captivated me with it's insane cover art and unique title so finally watching it for the first time was enjoyable; not at all a typical horror film but emotional with a surreal vibe that worked well in a art house sort of way.

Werewolf Woman was another movie using horror themes applied to modern settings showing more subtlety than you've expect going into a werewolf film, nice.

Doppleganger (1993) with Drew Barrymore has one of the best most positive "wtf" endings I've seen all month, I may never be the same again after seeing it.

This is fake... but what a fake it is...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-18-14 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-18-14, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing for a night of insomnia than laying in bed, pumpkin spice latte, cold rainy night outside, and a boxer in bed with you better than a horror movie marathon. Just finished Friday the 13th Part II, gotta love potato sack Jason, and now watching Part III. Iconic Hockey mask time.
Old 10-18-14, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm jealous of everyone with a cold October - we had a 35 degree day the other day. But the weather has just turned around and we had our second ever hailstorm about half an hour ago (brief and nothing damaging) and it's still raining outside :/

Had to go comfort our cats and dog for a bit coz they were freaking out
Old 10-18-14, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Noticed something that I had forgotten while watching F13 Pt 3. There was one scene where one of the girls was reading a Fangoria magazine, and she opened the magazine up to an article about Tom Savini. I thought it was a nice nod to him.
Old 10-18-14, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I might hit number 50 tonight. This could also be my first day of the challenge where I don't watch a single thing. I've got a vacation coming up shortly, so hitting 100 is still a probability though. Just might be more of a battle to do so than I thought.
Old 10-18-14, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

So I want to check out the new Elvira stuff on Hulu but was curious what people here think of Hulu+ who has it. Do they have commercials before or during TV shows or movies? How long are they? What's the picture and sound quality of their streaming like? And are they any better codes that can be used than just a free week trial (1 week seems the best I can find that can be actually used right now).

I watched a sleazy remake that I actually enjoy last night: Night Of The Demons (2009). It has some truly gross parts and I am not just talking gore. It's the kind of movie I am a little ashamed to admit that I enjoy.

Also watched Hellraiser: Bloodline (1996 - the fourth one for anyone keeping score) and it was not as bad as I remembered it. It is hurt more by being a tad dull more than anything. And the Cenobite designs are pretty good in this one with the female Cenobite being probably one of the best, if not the best, ever.
Old 10-18-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I might hit number 50 tonight. This could also be my first day of the challenge where I don't watch a single thing. I've got a vacation coming up shortly, so hitting 100 is still a probability though. Just might be more of a battle to do so than I thought.

I plan to work hard today, but I'm in the same boat, that I -might- make it to 100 if I work at it. In the 40s now.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So I want to check out the new Elvira stuff on Hulu but was curious what people here think of Hulu+ who has it. Do they have commercials before or during TV shows or movies? How long are they? What's the picture and sound quality of their streaming like? And are they any better codes that can be used than just a free week trial (1 week seems the best I can find that can be actually used right now).
I have Hulu + and have never seen any commercials at all before, during, or after movies.

I finally broke down and ordered the remake of Friday the 13th, the Killer Cut Edition too. So that will complete my F13 collection, including the documentaries, minus the series, which I'm not counting.
Old 10-18-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
A Virgin Among the Living Dead has always captivated me with it's insane cover art and unique title so finally watching it for the first time was enjoyable; not at all a typical horror film but emotional with a surreal vibe that worked well in a art house sort of way.
Spoiler:
This movie is a perfect example of one film that had about 5 minutes worth of zombie footage added to market an erotic film to the horror market. It also had hardcore scenes inserted to market it to the xxx market. I really like the film though, something about it just works for me.
Old 10-18-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally able to sit down and give today's amazing theme a go. Starting off with this one where I know Cameron Mitchell turns up as a video store owner/clerk. That's perfect!

Old 10-18-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Has anyone else ever seen Valerie and Her Week of Wonders? It aired on TCM in the last week (so I guess that means it should be on their on-demand service too). I just watched it from my DVR last night. The on-screen guide (and most movie websites) have it listed as just the fantasy genre (and the synopsis I saw just talked about a girl and her magic earrings), but it certainly counts as horror too: it's a vampire story (no spoiler there - the vampires appear very early). It's very dreamlike, surrealistic, and symbolic ... so it's certainly not for everyone. But I found it quite striking. Kind of like a less sleazy (and better directed) Jean Rollin movie. As if a director like Fellini, Bunuel, or Bergman wanted to make a vampire movie (comparisons to Dreyer's Vampyr and Herzog's Nosferatu are also apt).

Though for all the horror imagery, the creepiest scene for me was when the local priest is putting these moves on the 13-year old title character:

And I didn't realize this until after the fact. But it was a little disconcerting to learn that Valerie was actually played by a 13-year old (and there's some nudity and a lesbian love scene):

Spoiler:
Old 10-18-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Another question from my previous night's viewing: has anyone recently watched the original Diabolique for the first time? No, I had seen it long ago. But I was curious how the movie worked for a first-time viewer today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.