DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 5th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by LJG765
Well, we're nearing the end of the challenge...I hope everyone's been able to finish their watch lists!

I've had company this week so have slowed down, able to get to about one a night. I feel like I watched quite a bit though, and did manage to really whittle down my "stuff to watch" list at the same time.
I didn't completely finish my to watch lists, but I did manage to make some dents in them. Nonetheless it has been an enjoyable challenge.
Old 08-29-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
This is definitely an interesting series that is severely underwatched. I really enjoyed the settings and way in which they told the story, but I would agree with you about your complaint. The series would have been better without that aspect. Sadly, a lot of series like this can't resist that kind of plot point though.
I had never heard of it before finding a used copy at Hastings during a B1G1 sale and buying it on a whim. (I have a section of anime that I only picked up because it was so darn cheap.) Unfortunately, I don't have many friends who watch anime so my adoration and recommendation have fallen of deaf ears.

Well, we're nearing the end of the challenge...I hope everyone's been able to finish their watch lists!

I've had company this week so have slowed down, able to get to about one a night. I feel like I watched quite a bit though, and did manage to really whittle down my "stuff to watch" list at the same time.
I'm pretty happy with my progress. I've burnt out a bit, and life has been hectic recently, so my viewing has decreased. I was able to get two anime series out of my unwatched pile as well as quite a few films. I'm very close to finishing the checklist (think I lack four or five checks) and am taking along films to finish up, though I'm not certain I will get around to them. I really want to watch Summer Wars with my family, but they are resistant to anime.

During the last few challenges, I've neglected to write up end notes or compile my final thoughts so I'm going to try doing this after the month is done. So far, I've been very happy with the films I've watched.
Old 08-29-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I had never heard of it before finding a used copy at Hastings during a B1G1 sale and buying it on a whim. (I have a section of anime that I only picked up because it was so darn cheap.) Unfortunately, I don't have many friends who watch anime so my adoration and recommendation have fallen of deaf ears.

I'm pretty happy with my progress. I've burnt out a bit, and life has been hectic recently, so my viewing has decreased. I was able to get two anime series out of my unwatched pile as well as quite a few films. I'm very close to finishing the checklist (think I lack four or five checks) and am taking along films to finish up, though I'm not certain I will get around to them. I really want to watch Summer Wars with my family, but they are resistant to anime.

During the last few challenges, I've neglected to write up end notes or compile my final thoughts so I'm going to try doing this after the month is done. So far, I've been very happy with the films I've watched.
If you do manage to convince them to see SUMMER WARS, I'd love to hear about their reaction to it. A wonderful film by the man I consider the reigning animation director in Japan and the only viable successor to Miyazaki. (I interviewed this director, Mamoru Hosoda, for a magazine article last year on the occasion of a festival showing of his most recent film, WOLF CHILDREN.)
Old 08-29-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Aargh! This post reminds me that I bought of these sets, planning to take them home and compare reviews then return one, but forgot. Both sit unopened two years later.

I do hereby promise myself to watch one next August, and donate it as an end of Challenge prize.
Sure you'll have the time for it? I remember it took a big chunk of August last year when I did it.

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
tl;dr:

Rodimus Prime > Optimus Prime
I recall reading the plan was to try and cash in on new toy sales by killing off most of the guys in the transformer movie but the huge change ended up driving away viewers.
Old 08-29-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another great Paramount Noveltoon I discovered on YouTube:

"The Wee Men" (1947) about Leprechauns, directed by Bill Tytla, who worked on quite a few Disney animated features in key positions:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8dxoiL4ZOEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-29-14 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I recall reading the plan was to try and cash in on new toy sales by killing off most of the guys in the transformer movie but the huge change ended up driving away viewers.
There were a few factors at work. One, as I mentioned in a previous post, was that the core writers from the first two seasons weren't really involved in the third season at all, and instead a host of different writers each doing one or two episodes took over. It seems each writer was handed a group of toys and a paint-by-numbers template and told, "Fill in the blanks". It's hard to really have decent storytelling on any show with that many cooks in the kitchen.

But even aside from that, I think it's important to remember there was a sense that when The Transformers ended in 1987 that all the first-wave toy-tie-in shows had run their course and it was time for new stuff. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe/She-Ra, Princess of Power (1983-85/85-86), G.I. Joe (1985-86, with the movie in 1987) and The ThunderCats (1985-89) all ended right around the same time.

Out with all of those and in with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 1988, and that wave ran until Batman: The Animated Series in '92, so effectively, the George Bush presidency. This wave was more comedic than violent: Beetlejuice (1991), Tiny Toon Adventures (1990-95), and even The Real Ghostbusters, which predated this wave (it debuted in 1986) was much more about chuckles and laughs than in action.

It's also worth noting that both The Transformers and G.I. Joe lasted a lot longer in comic books; the former for 80 issues from 1984-91; the latter, 155 issues from 1982-94! Plus, there was a four-issue crossover series and a handful of other such things (for instance, a three-issue adaptation of The Transformers: The Movie). I don't think it's a coincidence that those comics featured much stronger storytelling than the cartoons they outlived.
Old 08-29-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I hope that you get them to watch it! I think Ash Ketchum was the one who rec'd it for me last summer and I really enjoyed it. If it helps, it really is more like a Ghibli film than what most people think of anime. I know someone who "hates" anime, but yet, when I've slipped a few Miyazaki films past her, she's enjoyed them. Maybe just tell them the plot rather than mention where it was made?
Old 08-30-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
If you do manage to convince them to see SUMMER WARS, I'd love to hear about their reaction to it. A wonderful film by the man I consider the reigning animation director in Japan and the only viable successor to Miyazaki. (I interviewed this director, Mamoru Hosoda, for a magazine article last year on the occasion of a festival showing of his most recent film, WOLF CHILDREN.)
I hope that you get them to watch it! I think Ash Ketchum was the one who rec'd it for me last summer and I really enjoyed it. If it helps, it really is more like a Ghibli film than what most people think of anime. I know someone who "hates" anime, but yet, when I've slipped a few Miyazaki films past her, she's enjoyed them. Maybe just tell them the plot rather than mention where it was made?
My family was up for watching Summer Wars, and everyone enjoyed it! Having never seen any anime in its entirety, my parents were a bit dubious, but they quickly got into it. Mom asked if our family was that loud, and my sister and I assured her that we weren't, simply because there are fewer of us when the extended family gets together.

We watched the English dub which I'd not seen, and it took me too long to figure out that Kenji was voiced by the same guy who voiced Dean in THe Venture Bros.
Old 08-30-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish I had Akira, or The Fantastic Mr. Fox, so I could still get double credit for this challenge when I start the Criterion Challenge tomorrow. Ah well, there is always next year.
Old 08-30-14, 10:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Sure you'll have the time for it? I remember it took a big chunk of August last year when I did it.
I doubt it, but I'm a dreamer. It's like how I think that eventually I'll watch these thousands of DVDs, read all these books, and play these 400 games on steam.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
I wish I had Akira, or The Fantastic Mr. Fox, so I could still get double credit for this challenge when I start the Criterion Challenge tomorrow. Ah well, there is always next year.
I guess I'll try to watch Mr Fox. Did we ever come up with a definitive list of Criterion Animation?
Old 08-30-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doubt it, but I'm a dreamer. It's like how I think that eventually I'll watch these thousands of DVDs, read all these books, and play these 400 games on steam.

I guess I'll try to watch Mr Fox. Did we ever come up with a definitive list of Criterion Animation?
I don't even like to buy games on Steam, cause then I still have to download them. And since the majority of my TV watching is streaming on Roku, downloading isn't a good idea.
Old 08-30-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I kind of feel like that about my collection and I know I have a lot less than you do! Doesn't stop me from collecting it all, though!

I'm not sure if there is a definitive list but isn't there only 2 or 3 criterion animation? Fantastic Mr. Fox, Akira (on laserdisc). I just found an article that came out when they released Mr. Fox saying they also had one they almost released, but ended up doing it through Janus instead. That was the World's Greatest Animation compilation. So if there is a list, it's pretty short!
Old 08-30-14, 04:25 PM

Looking back on my old lists I see that some of the Brakhage shorts count, and at least one film in the Science is Fiction set.

Very few of my DVDs are at my storage site, but of course I put my non Bluray Criterions there. Doh!
Old 08-31-14, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I like this particular challenge but August is a specially busy month for me and was not able to devote myself fully to it. I'll try this again next year.
Old 08-31-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A week-long immersion in old cartoons has yielded a new blog entry, only my second this whole month:

http://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2...ism/#more-1915

Old 08-31-14, 06:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My family was up for watching Summer Wars, and everyone enjoyed it! Having never seen any anime in its entirety, my parents were a bit dubious, but they quickly got into it.
Summer Wars was a great choice for a non-anime fan audience. I am glad to hear it worked out!

I managed to hit my goal of 100 entries this morning, so I am content with that. It was another fun challenge and some backlog stuff I really needed to get to got watched. Who can ask for more than that?
Old 09-01-14, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was able to get in one last watch-"Fantastic Mr. Fox"-I think I enjoyed more this second time than I did the first time I watched it.

I feel like I did fairly well in getting what I wanted to watched. I really reduced my "to watch" pile.
Old 09-01-14, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope everybody enjoyed their challenge! Please, over the next few days, finalize your checklists. I'll see who has won and get the notices out to people at that point. Thanks!
Old 09-01-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope everybody enjoyed their challenge! Please, over the next few days, finalize your checklists. I'll see who has won and get the notices out to people at that point. Thanks!

Thanks for a great challenge LJG. You did a great job hosting, and I appreciate you taking over the hosting job for me.
Old 09-01-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

I wasn't able to chat much in the discussion thread, but enjoyed the opportunity to knock a few animated titles off of the unwatched list. Thanks for hosting, LJG!
Old 09-01-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

My kid saw Summer Wars a few years ago and said it was "cool." She likes Ghibli but not really any other anime so I was pleased with that reaction.

We all have backlogs, but I've pretty much given up on buying games because I never have time to play.

Considering how much animation I have available to watch, my performance in this challenge has always been pretty disappointing, but partly because I'm often away on vacation in August. I did make a Disney run over the last week to regain a bit of respectability.

Thanks for hosting, LJG! And thanks for the support, Hamilton Books!

Last edited by davidh777; 09-01-14 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

My list is complete... I didn't get anywhere near the amount of titles I wanted to watch this year but everything was a first time viewing so that made it fun. Thanks for another great animation challenge!
Old 09-01-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Just wanted to congratulate LJG765 for a job well done as first-time host. Kudos!
Old 09-01-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My list is done. And once again, my thanks and compliments for a great job hosting LJG.
Old 09-01-14, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Just wanted to congratulate LJG765 for a job well done as first-time host. Kudos!
Amen!

I think most of what I watched all month was animation. Just need to assemble my notes and complete my list, but I think I have most of it in there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.