Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Old 05-13-14, 02:46 PM
  #251  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,428
Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The big suprise for me, so far, in my challenge has been Lois & Clark. Never, ever watched an episode of that show before. And while there hasn't been anything tremendous about it, I'm finding it to be more and more entertaining. Then again, having Bruce Campbell as a villain might always make my day.
Originally Posted by ntnon
It helps, I'm sure, that I saw The New Adventures of Superman (the UK wouldn't/didn't get the Lewis & Clark reference) before I even saw Christopher Reeve, so Dean Cain was "my" Superman... but even with that being so, I've never understood why so many people don't like the show. It's a bit soap-y - of course it is! A core element of Superman is the love triangle. It's a bit cheesy - it's 1990s TV, on a TV budget. Clark's a bit... not-farmy - so what? I enjoyed (most of) it, and still do when I have occasion to see it.
I'd call Clark in that series "Small Town" - sort of a down to earth type. I enjoyed it during the original run but sort of gave up on it sometime during the 3rd season. I can't recall exactly why but some of it stemmed from DC having Lois & Clark marry in the comic and putting it in the series as a cross-promotion type thing. I recall not caring for the fact that Lois figured out *who* Clark was when not Clark but that's from a very long relationship reading Superman comics. I have the series on DVD and have watched the first 2 seasons - although a couple of years back. I've never "made time" for the rest simply because my memories are that it was kind of "meh"... I really need to get those last two seasons out and just finish watching. After all, I didn't see all of those during the first run.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Plus, I never knew that Terri Hatcher once looked so much like Alyssa Milano!!
Hmmm... I don't see that. To me they look *very* different...
Old 05-13-14, 08:07 PM
  #252  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,525
Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by ntnon
Yep. But... the special effects aren't even very good! MoS relied on shaky cameras and distance - the flying was alright but almost in the background; the fights were slowed-sped up but otherwise unremarkable. There was effort in the War of the Worldsy ships and parts of Krypton (WHY did Jor El have a Kryp-Griffin? It flies in the face of Krypton being super-techno and clinical.... was the idea that he alone is standing apart from technology and is pro-environmentalism? Why then is Kel Ex about..?) but otherwise it seemed very SFX-lite. Returns was much more effect-y. Stupid and bizarre ones, but at least they were there..
I didn't have any problem with the flying whatsis. Comic book Krypton always had exotic creatures (along with at least one earth-like dog and a monkey). It made the planet look more alien, I suppose. Not something I would've done, but not something I cared about either.
Originally Posted by ntnon
I'm almost charitable enough to say "to each their own," but...!

You have a point, though, and it's one I decided on myself before seeing the film, and can still half-subscribe to now. I don't recall it being mentioned widely, but to me it's clear that his "S" shield is the Earth 1/pre-Crisis version. It has the slant-y/elongated top serif thing peculiar to the variant shield. And E-1 Superman might possibly be harsher and more likely to kill - certainly one of the differences is that J Kent dies on E-1 and (sometimes) survives on 'our' Earth, but even so...
When I first started reading comics, DC was regularly publishing 100 Page Super Spectaculars, and soon after, those $1 tabloid size Treasury Editions, so it wasn't unusual for me to read, say a Batman "Dark Knight Detective" story where he fought alone, Bruce Wayne lived in the penthouse of the Wayne Foundation building, and Robin was away at college, then turn the page and read a Batman & Robin story where they're fighting aliens, or maybe time traveling, then a few pages later, they're chasing villains across the keys of a giant typewriter. Thanks to the then yearly JLA-JSA team ups (plus reprints of earlier team ups), and Flash's cosmic treadmill, I knew that each of these Batman stories was just as "legitimate" as the next because they occurred on Earth 1 or Earth 2 (and there were lots more where those came from).

Added to that, earlier in the week, I'd probably seen a few reruns of the Adam West show and a few filmation cartoons, and if it was Saturday, I'd watch Batman and Robin, along with the Super Friends (and Wendy and Marvin), fighting bad guys, and if I was really lucky, I might see Batman and Robin team up with Scooby Doo and the gang.

The little differences between the shows and the comics never bothered me. To me, those TV versions of Batman (or Super Friends, the Filmation cartoons, and The Adventures of Superman, for Superman) were just "different earths" also. e.g. The Filmation cartoons took place on an earth where Robin for some reason wasn't a member of the Teen Titans. Gee, that's different from the comics. Oh well.
Originally Posted by ntnon
there's still so much wrong with Jonathan
Spoiler:
saying he should let people die to hide his identity;
I don't think he said that. The way I remember it,
Spoiler:
Pa Kent was telling Clark he should've kept his powers hidden (because the Man of Steel Pa Kent believes people will fear Clark when they discover he's a "strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men"), and Clark asked him something like "should I have let them die?" and Pa said (again going by memory) "I don't know. Maybe."

He was obviously torn between worry for his son's safety, and his son helping people. They revisited that later in the film. Plus, it gave Clark a reason to stay hidden and never become Superboy.

Originally Posted by ntnon
Lois
Spoiler:
working it out (both because she shouldn't know, and critically because it is obvious that ANYONE could work it out in the same way*)
This didn't bother me anywhere near as much as Lois
Spoiler:
having the wrong color hair. She's known his secret identity in the comics for over a decade (though that changed a few years back), so why not in a movie? And I like that she's smart enough, and determined enough, to track around the world to find him.

Originally Posted by ntnon
and the
Spoiler:
killing of Zod (both of itself and it being accidental)...


Oh well.
This one did tick me off, it was totally out of character,
Spoiler:
but it's been over a quarter of a century since I first saw
Spoiler:
Superman #22 (Oct., 1988) where John Byrne had Superman kill Zod (and two other Phantom Zone villains)
, and it was part of the official canon up until a few years ago, so I had time to get used to it. It didn't bother me much in the film, since I'd seen it before.


Originally Posted by ntnon
*Far too many superhero films feel the need to have various people discover or be told the secret. And it undermines everything.
I'd suggest you stay away from Smallville or Arrow.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The break ended last night and *Shocker* it turned out to be a nice rebound! The Spidey episode I saw turned out to be a message show (About bullying) and the Avengers episode guest-starred GotG (Making me even more eager to see their movie this summer)
For those of you scoring at home: I like Ultimate Spider-Man (the cartoon). They're not all winners, but I like the mix of action and humor, and having Spidey team up with teenaged versions of a bunch of D-List Marvel heroes makes it feel like an updated, better Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.

I do watch the other two current Marvel/Disney cartoons, Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., but they pile up on the DVR for weeks at a time before I feel like watching them.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The big suprise for me, so far, in my challenge has been Lois & Clark. Never, ever watched an episode of that show before. And while there hasn't been anything tremendous about it, I'm finding it to be more and more entertaining. Then again, having Bruce Campbell as a villain might always make my day. Plus, I never knew that Terri Hatcher once looked so much like Alyssa Milano!!
I watched that one when it originally aired, and, no surprise, I liked it.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'd call Clark in that series "Small Town" - sort of a down to earth type. I enjoyed it during the original run but sort of gave up on it sometime during the 3rd season. I can't recall exactly why but some of it stemmed from DC having Lois & Clark marry in the comic and putting it in the series as a cross-promotion type thing. I recall not caring for the fact that Lois figured out *who* Clark was when not Clark but that's from a very long relationship reading Superman comics.
It's been a long time since I watched the show, or read those issues of the comics, but didn't Clark tell Lois, in both, that he was Superman?

And, really, what's wrong with her knowing (after 75 years)? How many times do you want to read the same story where Lois breaks a pair of scissors on Clark's hair trying to prove he's Superman. Then Clark tells her it was because his new hair gel made his hair indestructible. Then Clark has Bruce Wayne come over to the Daily Planet, dressed as Superman, to try to cut Clark's hair again to prove his story. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-13-14 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-14-14, 11:37 AM
  #253  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,387
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I have to say I am glad I decided to give Clone Wars another chance. I'm still in season 1, but I am seeing the episodes starting to get better, starting with yesterdays arc about R2 being captured and sold to General Grievous.
Old 05-14-14, 01:00 PM
  #254  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,428
Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by Dimension X
It's been a long time since I watched the show, or read those issues of the comics, but didn't Clark tell Lois, in both, that he was Superman?
Same here. I've not read that story since it was first published and it's been over 2 years since I watched the season where Lois found out. I don't recall if she was about to find out and Clark just told her or she *did* find out and Clark admits she's right.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
And, really, what's wrong with her knowing (after 75 years)? How many times do you want to read the same story where Lois breaks a pair of scissors on Clark's hair trying to prove he's Superman. Then Clark tells her it was because his new hair gel made his hair indestructible. Then Clark has Bruce Wayne come over to the Daily Planet, dressed as Superman, to try to cut Clark's hair again to prove his story. Rinse and repeat.
It's that chemistry thing. Like in Moonlighting where it was a "will they?" thing for several seasons and when they finally *did* it almost derailed the show because everything changed. And that's just one example but it seems to be rather the norm. Of course the other side is it *does* change everything and now Clark/Supes has to watch out for her more than ever just in case someone else even *thinks* she knows the secret. So you get new story lines/ideas but the "magic" can be gone.
Old 05-14-14, 02:32 PM
  #255  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,268
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I was somewhat dreading coming to that episode after reading your post. BUT - while the goings on at the OAP home was somewhat disturbing, the way Victor handled the situation was *very* funny and appropriate! It ended on a high note
Good. I thought it did, but it's been a long time since I saw it... late at night after visiting elderly relatives... I'm glad any anticipation maybe made it better-by-comparison..!


Originally Posted by BobO'Link
..unlike an earlier episode in that series which ended with the death of Margaret's mother. That one really got to me simply because she'd been sitting in her chair for *days* before anyone came around to check on her. Up until then it had been a fairly good episode, especially the part where the hired gardener buried Victor in the back yard, although I find myself wondering just *how*he kept him still to put the dirt back in the hole.
There are a handful of moments - although that's probably the pinnacle! - that are a little on the unbelievable side...! But even those could (broadly) happen.
Old 05-14-14, 02:38 PM
  #256  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,268
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'd call Clark in that series "Small Town" - sort of a down to earth type. I enjoyed it during the original run but sort of gave up on it sometime during the 3rd season. I can't recall exactly why but some of it stemmed from DC having Lois & Clark marry in the comic and putting it in the series as a cross-promotion type thing. I recall not caring for the fact that Lois figured out *who* Clark was when not Clark but that's from a very long relationship reading Superman comics. I have the series on DVD and have watched the first 2 seasons - although a couple of years back. I've never "made time" for the rest simply because my memories are that it was kind of "meh"... I really need to get those last two seasons out and just finish watching. After all, I didn't see all of those during the first run...
I have dim memories of some good episodes, some funny episodes and some really rather dire ones in the last couple of seasons. One extended plot that... well, was memorable for the wrong reasons. Ironically, it featured clones that ties it thematically with reviled comics storylines from Spider-man and Star Wars (as well as the not-that-widely-liked post-Death comics arcs "Reign of the Supermen"). Why did it have to be clones...?
Old 05-14-14, 11:13 PM
  #257  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,268
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 201

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I didn't have any problem with the flying whatsis. Comic book Krypton always had exotic creatures (along with at least one earth-like dog and a monkey). It made the planet look more alien, I suppose. Not something I would've done, but not something I cared about either.
I didn't mind per se, but it was one more wrinkle, another piece of (presumably) heavy-handed MESSAGE rather than plot. Krypton is clinical, is scientific, is removed from nature - that's part of why the planet died. There are areas and zoos in Silver Age Krypton, but it's jarring to see the griffinthing: it's akin to someone riding a horse along a main road... it seems more of a "look at him, he's not like the others/he's at one with nature, etc." move rather than a "Krypton is alien" move. And neither point (odd; alien) needs reinforcing - they are known and obvious.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
When I first started reading comics, DC was regularly publishing 100 Page Super Spectaculars, and soon after, those $1 tabloid size Treasury Editions, so it wasn't unusual for me to read, say a Batman "Dark Knight Detective" story where he fought alone, Bruce Wayne lived in the penthouse of the Wayne Foundation building, and Robin was away at college, then turn the page and read a Batman & Robin story where they're fighting aliens, or maybe time traveling, then a few pages later, they're chasing villains across the keys of a giant typewriter. Thanks to the then yearly JLA-JSA team ups (plus reprints of earlier team ups), and Flash's cosmic treadmill, I knew that each of these Batman stories was just as "legitimate" as the next because they occurred on Earth 1 or Earth 2 (and there were lots more where those came from).

Added to that, earlier in the week, I'd probably seen a few reruns of the Adam West show and a few filmation cartoons, and if it was Saturday, I'd watch Batman and Robin, along with the Super Friends (and Wendy and Marvin), fighting bad guys, and if I was really lucky, I might see Batman and Robin team up with Scooby Doo and the gang.

The little differences between the shows and the comics never bothered me. To me, those TV versions of Batman (or Super Friends, the Filmation cartoons, and The Adventures of Superman, for Superman) were just "different earths" also. e.g. The Filmation cartoons took place on an earth where Robin for some reason wasn't a member of the Teen Titans. Gee, that's different from the comics. Oh well.
I can forgive a lot more if this was Earth 1, but whichever earth it is, a) it's about to be the cornerstone of a (new) Film DCU, and b) it should be the 'main' Superman, not a variant for the presumably-main focus. And wherever he's from, he and his characters should be 'true to themselves'.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I don't think he said that. The way I remember it,
Spoiler:
Pa Kent was telling Clark he should've kept his powers hidden (because the Man of Steel Pa Kent believes people will fear Clark when they discover he's a "strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men"), and Clark asked him something like "should I have let them die?" and Pa said (again going by memory) "I don't know. Maybe."
That's not any better! A frustrated "...no, of course not. It's just..." would convey that point of view and not imply that privacy and one life is worth the death of others. Which that sequence did. Compare with 1978, where JK says "you can't show off" and "I believe you're here for a reason, and that reason isn't football." THAT'S the message: don't get found out, it could be a problem, but you are here and powered to help.

[QUOTE=Dimension X;12105755]
Spoiler:
He was obviously torn between worry for his son's safety, and his son helping people. They revisited that later in the film. Plus, it gave Clark a reason to stay hidden and never become Superboy.

Reeve was never Superboy. Cain was never Superboy. Neither of them would have hesitated to reveal themself if it saved a life...

I assume the revisit was the tornado..? If JK being cavalier about CK potentially deliberately letting a bus full of children drown to protect his identity (because lone survivors would escape scrutiny...) was the worst anti-character moment, the tornado was a close second and by far the most stupid.

Then, you have a life-threatening tornado.
Spoiler:
I can believe people would leave it to the last minute to abandon their car. I can believe they'd forget the dog and then that someone would risk their life for it. But the suspension of disbelief collapses twice (or three times) in quick succession. 1. Clark offers and JK refuses. Why? Only pride and stubbornness - he knows Clark would have no difficulty getting the dog, and that he could believably make it there and back and look like he's just in good shape. Any son would offer, and a younger person would have a better chance. A parent would refuse if they worry about the safety of a child; CK's safety isn't at risk. Dumb. 2. JK then commits a form of suicide just to prove that he's willing to let Clark let people die. Crazy, if close to noble. 3. CLARK WOULD NOT JUST LET HIM DIE. Whatever his wishes, the "real" Clark is haunted by his inability to save his dad from a heart attack (various canon comics, 1978, All-Star), and here he COULD have saved him. Easily. He could probably have done it without revealing himself definitively (shield him within the tornado and let it throw them into a convenient haystack?). He would definitely have tried. All of which leads to two problems: JK believes Clark's origins must never be known (logically, he shouldn't even risk disguising himself with a costume..); JK's stubbornness and wrongheadedness sees him refuse help and die; his son would be torn up with guilt for the rest of life and probably go off the deep end, etc., etc. It's a bad, bad, bad set of "life lessons". Compare with 1978 - no contest. Here the lesson is sensible - don't show off, use your powers for a purpose; couldn't save his father, will always strive to save everyone else. Compare with Uncle Ben who dies semi-heroically, not stupidly; who says "great power, great responsibility" and in which Peter is driven by the knowledge he could have saved him if only he'd known the consequence of inaction. In MoS, Clark was standing right there and knew damn well what the consequences would be..


Originally Posted by Dimension X
This didn't bother me anywhere near as much as Lois
Spoiler:
having the wrong color hair. She's known his secret identity in the comics for over a decade (though that changed a few years back), so why not in a movie? And I like that she's smart enough, and determined enough, to track around the world to find him.
Again, I don't mind much - it's the aggregation of things - but the problems are many: no love triangle, no opportunity to fall in love with JUST-Clark, and no is he or isn't he. It makes sense that an investigative reporter would investigate (and it makes sense that his youthful exploits would not be well-covered up), but the ease and speed mean that ANYONE can do it. In either World's Finest or Byrne's Generations (or both), Clark's powers reveal Batman to be Bruce, so Bruce - the world's greatest detective - tracks down CK's secret identity. Good story. But if ANY newspaper reporter (even THE Lois Lane) can find it out, why bother with one at all? Lex would know instantly, and would half his villains and most newspapers...

She finds out in comics and TV almost-only in two scenarios (bar Elseworld) a) when she's fallen in love with JUST-Clark and put Superman aside for him, so he feels comfortable telling her and/or when he tells her. That might possibly denigrate her journalistic skill (or be anti-women?), but for plot reasons it's much better (I think).

There's a scene in TNAoS (L&C) which my memory - which may be wrong, modified or confused! - remembers thusly: future-villain says "the future laughs at Lois for being too dumb to not see that Superman was Clark! Call yourself a reporter..." and the time travelling HG Wells corrects him "the future considers you part of the greatest love story, that you didn't think your idol could have a more mundane form. That you, along with the rest of the world never even considered (as some comics suggest) that he even HAD a secret identity! He's so busy..."

Something like that, anyway. All lost if she asks three people about a mysterious stranger and finds his mother.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
This one did tick me off, it was totally out of character,
Spoiler:
but it's been over a quarter of a century since I first saw
Spoiler:
Superman #22 (Oct., 1988) where John Byrne had Superman kill Zod (and two other Phantom Zone villains)
, and it was part of the official canon up until a few years ago, so I had time to get used to it. It didn't bother me much in the film, since I'd seen it before.
He may kill all three in Superman II, too... I remember it being unclear there.

Part of the problem was the wishy-washiness of it, too. It was an ACCIDENT! A calculated decision would have presented a separate series of criticisms, but to imply that he could forget himself and... well. I disagree with the action and the presentation. I like the philosophical debates in various Batman stories where people point out that killing the Joker would cost but one life and save hundreds.. but that's Batman. Who ALSO doesn't kill people.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I'd suggest you stay away from Smallville or Arrow.
Ha!

I have so far successfully avoided Smallville because I do suspect I would take issue with much of it... but on the specific "who knows" and regular parade of people who find out and then die/forget/disappear/turn good, I find it much more palatable in a TV show, because well-handled it can be a good plot among the 20+ a year. Also, I understand that a TV show has a bigger recurring cast (often) and needs audience-substitute confidants.

With Arrow, and comics Oliver Queen specifically, a peculiarly goateed individual known to have learned survival skills on a desert island and a peculiarly goateed superhero who uses a bow... I'm surprised he ever kept his identity secret from anyone!
Old 05-15-14, 12:33 AM
  #258  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,268
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by Dimension X
It's been a long time since I watched the show, or read those issues of the comics, but didn't Clark tell Lois, in both, that he was Superman?
That's my thinking, too...

Originally Posted by Dimension X
And, really, what's wrong with her knowing (after 75 years)? How many times do you want to read the same story where Lois breaks a pair of scissors on Clark's hair trying to prove he's Superman. Then Clark tells her it was because his new hair gel made his hair indestructible. Then Clark has Bruce Wayne come over to the Daily Planet, dressed as Superman, to try to cut Clark's hair again to prove his story. Rinse and repeat.
There's a lot of mileage in the original awkward triangle: Lois loves Superman but doesn't care much for Clark, Kal loves Lois, but won't make any sort of move unless she can grow to love Clark. There's also mileage in the poignant update where she basically loves Clark and Superman, and not being able to decide between the two doesn't pursue either... but in both cases, the logical next step is finding out/being told and then the two being able to have a relationship.

(I also like the occasional "you actively lied to me for [X] years..?!" horror/comedy - that can lead to anger and a lessening of feelings - when she is told that her suspicions, repeatedly denied and 'disproven' ARE correct..!)

But she needs to get to know both separately. Particularly 'normal' Clark. He has to stand on his own feet, or the wrong-headed "Clark is the mask*" thought takes hold.
Spoiler:
There's Kal El, the born-Kryptonian "truth" that he never lives as or knows; there's CLARK KENT, the "true" persona: son of Jonathan and Martha, strong, caring and comfortable in his own skin. CLARK KENT is then split-able into the two 'fronts' he projects when in different company and clothes. He can only be real Clark around his parents, although it can drift to the surface around Lois, Jimmy and other of 'human' Clark's friends. Lois has to get to know the projected (clumsy, "human") Clark persona well enough that the core elements of real Clark shine through, so she can see the parallels to Superman and grow to love him for him, not for his power and persona.


Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Same here. I've not read that story since it was first published and it's been over 2 years since I watched the season where Lois found out. I don't recall if she was about to find out and Clark just told her or she *did* find out and Clark admits she's right.
Has The Wedding Album ever been republished..? Seems like it should have been, but I wonder if it actually has...

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
It's that chemistry thing. Like in Moonlighting where it was a "will they?" thing for several seasons and when they finally *did* it almost derailed the show because everything changed. And that's just one example but it seems to be rather the norm. Of course the other side is it *does* change everything and now Clark/Supes has to watch out for her more than ever just in case someone else even *thinks* she knows the secret. So you get new story lines/ideas but the "magic" can be gone.
Quite. It's different, and not necessarily good-different. However, the characters deserve happiness at some point...! The most obvious example is Peter Parker and MJ, who certainly belonged together and should be. That Marvel decided to split them up in the daftest way possible - despite Spider-man and the MU being nominally all about change and soap operatics, and therefore marriage is a reasonable destination for them - is sad. As is the now-non-marriage of Clark and Lois... as the end result of a ridiculously long and confusing courtship!




*With the associated nonsense espoused in Kill Bill that it's a commentary on humanity. Rubbish. It's an exaggerated persona carefully calculated to be NOTSuperman. That is all. He's not clumsy because he sees humans as clumsy, he's clumsy because Superman isn't.

Last edited by ntnon; 05-15-14 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-15-14, 12:38 AM
  #259  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,525
Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 201

Originally Posted by ntnon
I didn't mind per se...
Let me just say, you hated that movie much more than I liked it, so I won't be arguing with every (or maybe even many) point you made. I never said it was a "great film" or anything. I just said I liked it. To me, the positives outweighed the negatives, and the film didn't bore me, so overall, I liked it.

I could say the same about The Lone Ranger, Iron Man 3, or Thor 2 (The Dark Planet, or whatever) which I watched around the same time. None of those films were "great," or even "really good," but I still liked them.
Originally Posted by ntnon
...but it was one more wrinkle, another piece of (presumably) heavy-handed MESSAGE rather than plot. Krypton is clinical, is scientific, is removed from nature - that's part of why the planet died. There are areas and zoos in Silver Age Krypton, but it's jarring to see the griffinthing: it's akin to someone riding a horse along a main road... it seems more of a "look at him, he's not like the others/he's at one with nature, etc." move rather than a "Krypton is alien" move. And neither point (odd; alien) needs reinforcing - they are known and obvious.
I didn't even consider that it was some environmental message. Thinking about it after I'd made my post, I decided that it could've been just because they thought that flying thing would look cooler in 3D than a Jetsons flying car. If you saw it as a "message," then I can see why you were bugged by it.

Originally Posted by ntnon
I can forgive a lot more if this was Earth 1, but whichever earth it is, a) it's about to be the cornerstone of a (new) Film DCU, and b) it should be the 'main' Superman, not a variant for the presumably-main focus. And wherever he's from, he and his characters should be 'true to themselves'.
If it's the first film in the new film universe, then no matter what they did, they were "true to themselves." That's all I was saying there. It's up to the film makers to work from there.

Originally Posted by ntnon
That's not any better! A frustrated "...no, of course not. It's just..." would convey that point of view and not imply that privacy and one life is worth the death of others. Which that sequence did. Compare with 1978, where JK says "you can't show off" and "I believe you're here for a reason, and that reason isn't football." THAT'S the message: don't get found out, it could be a problem, but you are here and powered to help.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Spoiler:
He was obviously torn between worry for his son's safety, and his son helping people. They revisited that later in the film. Plus, it gave Clark a reason to stay hidden and never become Superboy.
Reeve was never Superboy. Cain was never Superboy. Neither of them would have hesitated to reveal themself if it saved a life...
I just want to say that Superman staying hidden is nothing new. I remember a few early radio shows where he secretly saved people, and asked a couple of people who saw him to keep his secret.

And you're just guessing that "neither of them would have hesitated to reveal themself if it saved a life" since doing anything super (other than running home from school really fast) conveniently didn't come up until they went to Metropolis.
Originally Posted by ntnon
I assume the revisit was the tornado..? If JK being cavalier about CK potentially deliberately letting a bus full of children drown to protect his identity (because lone survivors would escape scrutiny...) was the worst anti-character moment, the tornado was a close second and by far the most stupid.

Then, you have a life-threatening tornado.
Spoiler:
I can believe people would leave it to the last minute to abandon their car. I can believe they'd forget the dog and then that someone would risk their life for it. But the suspension of disbelief collapses twice (or three times) in quick succession. 1. Clark offers and JK refuses. Why? Only pride and stubbornness - he knows Clark would have no difficulty getting the dog, and that he could believably make it there and back and look like he's just in good shape. Any son would offer, and a younger person would have a better chance. A parent would refuse if they worry about the safety of a child; CK's safety isn't at risk. Dumb. 2. JK then commits a form of suicide just to prove that he's willing to let Clark let people die. Crazy, if close to noble. 3. CLARK WOULD NOT JUST LET HIM DIE. Whatever his wishes, the "real" Clark is haunted by his inability to save his dad from a heart attack (various canon comics, 1978, All-Star), and here he COULD have saved him. Easily. He could probably have done it without revealing himself definitively (shield him within the tornado and let it throw them into a convenient haystack?). He would definitely have tried. All of which leads to two problems: JK believes Clark's origins must never be known (logically, he shouldn't even risk disguising himself with a costume..); JK's stubbornness and wrongheadedness sees him refuse help and die; his son would be torn up with guilt for the rest of life and probably go off the deep end, etc., etc. It's a bad, bad, bad set of "life lessons". Compare with 1978 - no contest. Here the lesson is sensible - don't show off, use your powers for a purpose; couldn't save his father, will always strive to save everyone else. Compare with Uncle Ben who dies semi-heroically, not stupidly; who says "great power, great responsibility" and in which Peter is driven by the knowledge he could have saved him if only he'd known the consequence of inaction. In MoS, Clark was standing right there and knew damn well what the consequences would be..
I said the film had negatives. No argument here.

Originally Posted by ntnon
Again, I don't mind much - it's the aggregation of things - but the problems are many: no love triangle, no opportunity to fall in love with JUST-Clark, and no is he or isn't he. It makes sense that an investigative reporter would investigate (and it makes sense that his youthful exploits would not be well-covered up), but the ease and speed mean that ANYONE can do it.
Was it a "speedy" investigation? I don't recall how much time was supposed to have passed.
Originally Posted by ntnon
In either World's Finest or Byrne's Generations (or both), Clark's powers reveal Batman to be Bruce, so Bruce - the world's greatest detective - tracks down CK's secret identity. Good story. But if ANY newspaper reporter (even THE Lois Lane) can find it out, why bother with one at all? Lex would know instantly, and would half his villains and most newspapers...
As I recall, in the post-Crisis comics, Lex went with the "you didn't think your idol could have a more mundane form" that you mention below.
Originally Posted by ntnon
She finds out in comics and TV almost-only in two scenarios (bar Elseworld) a) when she's fallen in love with JUST-Clark and put Superman aside for him, so he feels comfortable telling her and/or when he tells her. That might possibly denigrate her journalistic skill (or be anti-women?), but for plot reasons it's much better (I think).

There's a scene in TNAoS (L&C) which my memory - which may be wrong, modified or confused! - remembers thusly: future-villain says "the future laughs at Lois for being too dumb to not see that Superman was Clark! Call yourself a reporter..." and the time travelling HG Wells corrects him "the future considers you part of the greatest love story, that you didn't think your idol could have a more mundane form. That you, along with the rest of the world never even considered (as some comics suggest) that he even HAD a secret identity! He's so busy..."

Something like that, anyway. All lost if she asks three people about a mysterious stranger and finds his mother.

He may kill all three in Superman II, too... I remember it being unclear there.

Part of the problem was the wishy-washiness of it, too. It was an ACCIDENT! A calculated decision would have presented a separate series of criticisms, but to imply that he could forget himself and... well. I disagree with the action and the presentation. I like the philosophical debates in various Batman stories where people point out that killing the Joker would cost but one life and save hundreds.. but that's Batman. Who ALSO doesn't kill people.
Where are you getting that it was an accident? The way I remember it, he purposely
Spoiler:
snapped Zod's neck.
Again, I didn't care for it in the comics back in '88 or in this movie.
Originally Posted by ntnon
Ha!

I have so far successfully avoided Smallville because I do suspect I would take issue with much of it... but on the specific "who knows" and regular parade of people who find out and then die/forget/disappear/turn good, I find it much more palatable in a TV show, because well-handled it can be a good plot among the 20+ a year. Also, I understand that a TV show has a bigger recurring cast (often) and needs audience-substitute confidants.

With Arrow, and comics Oliver Queen specifically, a peculiarly goateed individual known to have learned survival skills on a desert island and a peculiarly goateed superhero who uses a bow... I'm surprised he ever kept his identity secret from anyone!
It's called "suspension of disbelief."

Looks like i ended up talking more than I wanted to. I get it. You hated Man of Steel.

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-15-14 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-15-14, 01:11 AM
  #260  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,525
Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by ntnon
That's my thinking, too...


There's a lot of mileage in the original awkward triangle: Lois loves Superman but doesn't care much for Clark, Kal loves Lois, but won't make any sort of move unless she can grow to love Clark. There's also mileage in the poignant update where she basically loves Clark and Superman, and not being able to decide between the two doesn't pursue either... but in both cases, the logical next step is finding out/being told and then the two being able to have a relationship.

(I also like the occasional "you actively lied to me for [X] years..?!" horror/comedy - that can lead to anger and a lessening of feelings - when she is told that her suspicions, repeatedly denied and 'disproven' ARE correct..!)

But she needs to get to know both separately. Particularly 'normal' Clark. He has to stand on his own feet, or the wrong-headed "Clark is the mask*" thought takes hold.
Spoiler:
There's Kal El, the born-Kryptonian "truth" that he never lives as or knows; there's CLARK KENT, the "true" persona: son of Jonathan and Martha, strong, caring and comfortable in his own skin. CLARK KENT is then split-able into the two 'fronts' he projects when in different company and clothes. He can only be real Clark around his parents, although it can drift to the surface around Lois, Jimmy and other of 'human' Clark's friends. Lois has to get to know the projected (clumsy, "human") Clark persona well enough that the core elements of real Clark shine through, so she can see the parallels to Superman and grow to love him for him, not for his power and persona.



*With the associated nonsense espoused in Kill Bill that it's a commentary on humanity. Rubbish. It's an exaggerated persona carefully calculated to be NOTSuperman. That is all. He's not clumsy because he sees humans as clumsy, he's clumsy because Superman isn't.
The "clumsy Clark" act was dropped post-Crisis (Dean Cain's Clark was based on that version), and George Reeves didn't play Clark as a klutz, so I'd say it isn't necessary to the character.
Old 05-15-14, 12:10 PM
  #261  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,268
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 201

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Let me just say, you hated that movie much more than I liked it, so I won't be arguing with every (or maybe even many) point you made. I never said it was a "great film" or anything. I just said I liked it. To me, the positives outweighed the negatives, and the film didn't bore me, so overall, I liked it.
And I genuinely appreciate your thoughts and you taking the time to share them. I don't have many avenues of like-minded people to rail to these days, so if I vent more here than I ought, my apologies!

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I could say the same about The Lone Ranger, Iron Man 3, or Thor 2 (The Dark Planet, or whatever) which I watched around the same time. None of those films were "great," or even "really good," but I still liked them.
Interestingly (or not!) I saw Thor 2 at the cinema and the other two borrowed from the library. I found TLR to be one of the best and most enjoyable films I've seen in years; Thor 2 to be close to on a par with Thor (which I consider one if the best Marvel and Superhero films) and IM3... not bad. Cleverer than many, flashier than it needed to be, but I concur closely there.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I didn't even consider that it was some environmental message. Thinking about it after I'd made my post, I decided that it could've been just because they thought that flying thing would look cooler in 3D than a Jetsons flying car. If you saw it as a "message," then I can see why you were bugged by it.
I probably would have ignored or even liked it had I not already been getting annoyed by crazy-placed flash-back/forwards' and shakey cameras... it seemed wrong for Smug Scientific Krypton and thus like lazy shorthand to set Jor El apart: he's not really meant to be 'apart', just not believed. You have a point about the 3D, too. I'll add that to my list..! "things done to 'look good' rather than serve the plot"..!

Originally Posted by Dimension X
If it's the first film in the new film universe, then no matter what they did, they were "true to themselves." That's all I was saying there. It's up to the film makers to work from there.
...fair point. But if you hang the Superman name on it (I realise the film's title did not - was that pointed, I wonder?) then he should be true to Superman.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I just want to say that Superman staying hidden is nothing new. I remember a few early radio shows where he secretly saved people, and asked a couple of people who saw him to keep his secret.

And you're just guessing that "neither of them would have hesitated to reveal themself if it saved a life" since doing anything super (other than running home from school really fast) conveniently didn't come up until they went to Metropolis.
Oh, I know. I'm arbitrarily deciding I know better...!

I can think of other secret savings, too - but surely the point to take away if that he still saved people. And if he revealed himself in the process, he asked them to keep his secret. So saving lives always outweighed his own privacy.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Was it a "speedy" investigation? I don't recall how much time was supposed to have passed.
It was a 'film time' montage, but the impression I took away (with my biases and whatnot) was that it was a straight trail from recent employer to previous few to Pete Ross to Martha. It seemed very simple... and even if not, by proving it could be done once...

Originally Posted by Dimension X
As I recall, in the post-Crisis comics, Lex went with the "you didn't think your idol could have a more mundane form" that you mention below.
There's a good - if logic-stretching - story where Lex has a computer figure it out, but then when the computer tells him, he refuses to believe that Superman would ever be someone so mundane and then gives up the attempt..

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Where are you getting that it was an accident? The way I remember it, he purposely
Spoiler:
snapped Zod's neck.
Again, I didn't care for it in the comics back in '88 or in this movie.
I saw him merely restraining him' Zod struggling and each compensating for the other's strength until... maybe it's meant to be ambiguous. Or maybe I'm wrong. I even wonder if there's an argument to be made that
Spoiler:
Zod committed suicide-by-Superman similar to the Joker in DKR.


Originally Posted by Dimension X
It's called "suspension of disbelief."
And for a reader that'd fine... and you can assume that people wouldn't recognise a billionaires chin (Batman), but 90% of the domino masked seem hazy... with Oliver Queen's distinctive face and fame being firmly at the top of the list..!
Old 05-15-14, 12:14 PM
  #262  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,268
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by Dimension X
The "clumsy Clark" act was dropped post-Crisis (Dean Cain's Clark was based on that version), and George Reeves didn't play Clark as a klutz, so I'd say it isn't necessary to the character.
True. I'm using "clumsy" as shorthand for stooping, loose clothes, hair rearranging and the other little changes of demeanour to make sure no-one suspects.

I have a slight soft spot for the Kryptonian blur effect that allows Superman to move has face fast enough to look slightly different and not be photographed.

It's just that if people bring up the 'which is the "real" person' debate, they usually try and pick between two (Superman and Kent), or three (Superman, Kal and Clark) when it's either a different three (not Kal) or four, because there are two Clarks: public and family.
Old 05-15-14, 12:17 PM
  #263  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,387
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I got my router in the mail today, with my wi fi connection classified as excellent, so I can use my roku in the living room or bedroom now easily, and move my laptop to either room just as easily. Watching tv laying on the couch right now.
Old 05-15-14, 01:07 PM
  #264  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
mrcellophane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,717
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I'm almost done with the second season of One Tree Hill, and I had forgotten just how dark the show got in its sophomore season. One of the major cliffhangers of the first season was the heart attack of Dan Scott, series villain and all-around shitty dad/husband/person. Obviously, Dan survives, cause without him there wouldn't be as much malicious wrench-tossing, and they used the situation to morph him into a more duplicitous character: outwardly humbled and repentant but secretly a hurt, bitter puppet-master of evil.

Rewatching, I'm noticing that Dan's transformation and actions start poisoning those around him.This is saying a lot, because most of the drama in the first season stems from Dan's shitty actions in the past and the ramifications of those decisions in the present; he's the cause of these effects. However, second season Dan works more like a feeling or a tone. While his malicious actions are ultimately directed at a small portion of the cast, his false apologies and underlying meanness seem to rub off on those around him. After receiving a Dan apology, a character will act worse and more selfishly. Deb and Karen (Dan's wife and Dan's high school sweetheart) bear the brunt of his manipulation, and by the end of the season, they (Deb especially) are meaner, more screwed up versions of themselves.

The second season also introduced two of my favorite mishandled characters: Felix and Anna. They are siblings; brother is an entitled shit and sister is a confused romantic who has to apologize for some social slight every other episode. They could have been complex foils to the series regulars, but instead become plot devices to create drama and shoehorn in a muddled storyline about sexuality and hidden hearts of gold and freedom of speech and poor character development.
Old 05-15-14, 01:09 PM
  #265  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,525
Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by ntnon
And I genuinely appreciate your thoughts and you taking the time to share them. I don't have many avenues of like-minded people to rail to these days, so if I vent more here than I ought, my apologies!


Interestingly (or not!) I saw Thor 2 at the cinema and the other two borrowed from the library. I found TLR to be one of the best and most enjoyable films I've seen in years; Thor 2 to be close to on a par with Thor (which I consider one if the best Marvel and Superhero films) and IM3... not bad. Cleverer than many, flashier than it needed to be, but I concur closely there.
I've never been a fan of Thor anyway (I did enjoy Walt Simonson's run in the eighties), so it wasn't going to be a favorite of mine anyway. I felt like The Lone Ranger would've been better without the humor (which all fell flat to me), but the big action sequence™ with the two trains in the last act pushed the positive/negative balance into the positive for me. Iron Man seems to be following the Batman-Batman Returns-Batman Forever-Batman & Robin downward spiral; I expect in Iron Man IV his armor will have nipples and George Clooney will play M.O.D.O.K.

Originally Posted by ntnon
I probably would have ignored or even liked it had I not already been getting annoyed by crazy-placed flash-back/forwards' and shakey cameras... it seemed wrong for Smug Scientific Krypton and thus like lazy shorthand to set Jor El apart: he's not really meant to be 'apart', just not believed. You have a point about the 3D, too. I'll add that to my list..! "things done to 'look good' rather than serve the plot"..!


...fair point. But if you hang the Superman name on it (I realise the film's title did not - was that pointed, I wonder?) then he should be true to Superman.


Oh, I know. I'm arbitrarily deciding I know better...!

I can think of other secret savings, too - but surely the point to take away if that he still saved people. And if he revealed himself in the process, he asked them to keep his secret. So saving lives always outweighed his own privacy.
Some would say maybe Johnathan has more reason to distrust the government today. I'll just say that as a fifty-ish American male who had probably seen at least a few episodes of My Favorite Martian, Mork & Mindy, and/or ALF, Pa Kent would know that when you adopt an alien into your family, you're supposed to keep their true origins and special abilities secret from your neighbors or risk having them taken away by government agents.

Originally Posted by ntnon
It was a 'film time' montage, but the impression I took away (with my biases and whatnot) was that it was a straight trail from recent employer to previous few to Pete Ross to Martha. It seemed very simple... and even if not, by proving it could be done once...


There's a good - if logic-stretching - story where Lex has a computer figure it out, but then when the computer tells him, he refuses to believe that Superman would ever be someone so mundane and then gives up the attempt..
That's what I was alluding to, from the Man of Steel mini-series (I think).


Originally Posted by ntnon
I saw him merely restraining him' Zod struggling and each compensating for the other's strength until... maybe it's meant to be ambiguous. Or maybe I'm wrong. I even wonder if there's an argument to be made that
Spoiler:
Zod committed suicide-by-Superman similar to the Joker in DKR.
Man, talk about
Spoiler:
out-of-character killings that pissed me off.


Originally Posted by ntnon
True. I'm using "clumsy" as shorthand for stooping, loose clothes, hair rearranging and the other little changes of demeanour to make sure no-one suspects.

I have a slight soft spot for the Kryptonian blur effect that allows Superman to move has face fast enough to look slightly different and not be photographed.
What, no love for Super-Hypnotism inadvertently caused by wearing glasses with lenses made from the windows in his rocket ship making people see Clark as a skinny, sickly wimp?

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-15-14 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-15-14, 07:46 PM
  #266  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,387
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I finished Wild China. Another great BBC Documentary series, and this on BD, so nature on BD looks magnificent I have to say.
Old 05-16-14, 03:54 AM
  #267  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,939
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Haven't watched much for the challenge in the last couple days (did see August: Osage County but that was very depressing. While Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep are both very good in it, I just did not enjoy it!). I have watched a few episodes tonight of Beetlejuice. Like the fact that they've done a couple episodes in the "real" world. This will be odd since it is Beetlejuice, but this season seems to rely solely on how they can get him to change into different objects for the laugh. It's funny, but after awhile gets a bit old. I may only get through the first half of this season (4 discs) and save the last half for the animation challenge in a couple months. That way I don't O.D. on it.
Old 05-16-14, 08:52 AM
  #268  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,387
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by LJG765
Haven't watched much for the challenge in the last couple days (did see August: Osage County but that was very depressing. While Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep are both very good in it, I just did not enjoy it!). I have watched a few episodes tonight of Beetlejuice. Like the fact that they've done a couple episodes in the "real" world. This will be odd since it is Beetlejuice, but this season seems to rely solely on how they can get him to change into different objects for the laugh. It's funny, but after awhile gets a bit old. I may only get through the first half of this season (4 discs) and save the last half for the animation challenge in a couple months. That way I don't O.D. on it.
I liked Beetlejuice, but after a while, I got a little tired of the real world episodes, it just seemed like they were relying too much on Lydia's friends Bertha and Prudence.

My next documentary series I chose was Meerkat Manor, Season 1. It was a good show, full of highs and lows, happiness and sadness.
Old 05-16-14, 03:28 PM
  #269  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,939
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I liked Beetlejuice, but after a while, I got a little tired of the real world episodes, it just seemed like they were relying too much on Lydia's friends Bertha and Prudence.

My next documentary series I chose was Meerkat Manor, Season 1. It was a good show, full of highs and lows, happiness and sadness.
I'm on s. 4, and that seems like mostly in the Neitherworld, but I agree, in earlier seasons they do spend a lot of time in the "real world." Then again, it might change, I'm only through disc 2 out of 8 for the season. (8 epis/disc).
Old 05-17-14, 04:38 AM
  #270  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,525
Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^Yup, just got done re-watching it and (I hear an echo) she was in it more than I remembered too. But it's too bad that the "Minnie" scene was drastically cut down. If you check out the trailer, Minnie actually had some lines. None of which made it into the movie. I would've liked to have seen how that whole conversation went (Even the sex was cut down!)
I just watched it, and the trailer for Harry Navak's Country Cuzzins is another one with some stuff that's not in the film. It looks like alternate takes of scenes in the movie rather than deleted scenes like with Southern Comforts though. More Rene Bond and more Debbie Osborne is always a good thing.

It's been at least a decade since I last watched Country Cuzzins. The scenes with Buck Flower and Rene Bond had me . It looked to me like their two longest scenes were actually just different, partly ad-libbed takes of the same scene (that I assume Bethel Buckalew liked so much he went ahead and used them both).
Old 05-17-14, 07:13 AM
  #271  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,428
Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I've been generally disappointed by the One Foot in the Grave "Christmas Specials" for S4-S5 simply because they feel padded to get the requisite 60+ minute running time. The one titled "One Foot in the Algarve" is the worst of them in that respect. It reminds me of the latter, bad, Pink Panther films with lots of forced comedy. There's an entire sub-plot about a roll of incriminating film that has *nothing* to do with the Meldrews and their trip to Portugal. It feels shoehorned in simply to have Peter Cook as a guest star and is nothing more than a lame Pink Panther emulation. There's another, rather lame, sub-plot involving a boxer but it's better than the "missing" film parts. Overall this could have been edited into a rather normal length episode and been far funnier and better. The other three from that era aren't so bad but are still padded in various degrees and suffer from rather poor 80s style soundtracks rather than the usual soundtrack music.

There were three of the "Christmas Specials" back-to-back and I'm ready to get back to the series proper for the final episodes.
Old 05-17-14, 02:58 PM
  #272  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,387
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I'm enjoying Clone Wars enough that I don't think I'll wait till the sci-fi and animation challenges to continue watching it. I'm planning to continue watching it as a side project during next month's Historical Challenge as well. 6 Seasons is a lot to get through, and saving only for challenges, it would take forever to finish it.
Old 05-17-14, 07:35 PM
  #273  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,661
Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by Dimension X
It's been at least a decade since I last watched Country Cuzzins.
Probably the same for me too! It was definetly the first Rene Bond film I ever saw.

The thing that I'll always remember the most about it involves a death scene of a certain character. Certainly one of the greatest deaths I'll likely ever see in a sex comedy.

Which reminds me...Are you planning on watching Sweet Georgia soon? Unquestionably, the darkest of Novak's CCP (Country Corn Porn) films. I wonder what the reactions were when the ticketbuyers left the theater after seeing that one.
Old 05-17-14, 09:54 PM
  #274  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,525
Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Probably the same for me too! It was definetly the first Rene Bond film I ever saw.
I'm pretty sure it was the first one I saw too, and it appears to be her first film. I just love the way she has her southern accent turned up to eleven.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The thing that I'll always remember the most about it involves a death scene of a certain character. Certainly one of the greatest deaths I'll likely ever see in a sex comedy.
Spoiler:
That would be the one and only Buck Flower in one of the scenes I said had me .


I think Buckalew and Novak really missed out by not doing a whole movie with Rene Bond as an ingenue in Hollywood and Buck Flower as a pervert agent/producer/director/whatever. A quick look at IMDb and it appears Buckalew used her next in Below the Belt (with John Tull and Buck Flower). I liked Buck Flower's character in that flick, but a sex comedy with him and Rene Bond would've been better.

How could you not love this movie?
Spoiler:


I think I'll add this to my banner for the next Drive-In Challenge.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Which reminds me...Are you planning on watching Sweet Georgia soon? Unquestionably, the darkest of Novak's CCP (Country Corn Porn) films. I wonder what the reactions were when the ticketbuyers left the theater after seeing that one.
I watched it last month, along with Rene Bond in Country Hooker on the same disc. Neither of those films are comedies. I'd guess as long as they showed enough skin, most folks didn't care much.

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-17-14 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-17-14, 11:17 PM
  #275  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,939
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Finished disc 4 of Beetlejuice. Going to take a break as this is halfway-good spot to stop. Haven't decided what I'm going to watch next. Still have The Walking Dead on my goal list, plus tons more off of it, of course!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.