Reload this Page >

Ditching the cases and saving space

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ditching the cases and saving space

Old 12-19-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts
Re: Ditching the cases and saving space

Be careful of warping, especially in the 320 capacity folders. I have several of these myself, and if the discs are too tight in the binder, they probably will warp around the edges unless perfectly aligned with the discs below and above them.

Also, you didn't have to lose the artwork. I pulled mine out, folded them along the edge in half, and store them in a seperate box. Then, if I ever would sell any of the titles, I could reconstruct perfectly the movie using a spare DVD and/ or BD case and the original packaging artwork / inserts.

In all, I'm extremely happy with the space saving results and there has been NO scratching after 10 years in the case of my oldest binders. I'm just very careful about inserting and removing the DVDs out of the folders.
Old 12-19-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

I would be a bit wary about using binders. I've heard a few stories about them damaging discs; doesn't seem like keeping optical discs pressed tightly together in plastic sleeves seems like a good idea.

With blu-ray discs, I'd be even more concerned that the anti-scratch coating could react with something in the plastic they're pressed against.
Old 12-19-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
Still salivate at the thought of something like this, but realize it will never happen.
Old 12-20-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I had the room to do this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aHVICOcR4G...ary02small.jpg

but even a bedroom would not be enough.
Jeeeeeeeeeesus.

Odd, though... this person has enough money to buy all those movies, and doesn't buy a larger TV? I don't have half that many films, and even I saved up for a 1080p 46-inch.

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Be careful of warping, especially in the 320 capacity folders. I have several of these myself, and if the discs are too tight in the binder, they probably will warp around the edges unless perfectly aligned with the discs below and above them.

Also, you didn't have to lose the artwork. I pulled mine out, folded them along the edge in half, and store them in a seperate box. Then, if I ever would sell any of the titles, I could reconstruct perfectly the movie using a spare DVD and/ or BD case and the original packaging artwork / inserts.

In all, I'm extremely happy with the space saving results and there has been NO scratching after 10 years in the case of my oldest binders. I'm just very careful about inserting and removing the DVDs out of the folders.
I'm one of those people who are obsessively careful with DVDs, so if anything happens to them in the CD wallet, it'll be the wallet's fault rather than mine and I'll report it back to this topic immediately so others can avoid my mistake. So far, though, it's working out fine.

As for the artwork, those paper sleeves are currently sitting in a huge Ziploc bag near where I'm storing away the empty plastic cases. At some point I'll take them out and stick them in a box or binder or something. They aren't terribly important to me. But like I said, I'm keeping both the cases and the artwork in case I need them in the future.
Old 12-20-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

That is WAAAYYYY too much work. I need to do something. I like the slim case idea, but the artwork doesn't fit in it and I don't want to cut it or create my own artwork. I wish somebody made slim cases that were wider on the horizontal side so that the artwork would still fit into the case without cutting it.

Right now, I have some in shelves, some in boxes and some of my collection is in CD sleeves in alphabetical order with the inserts in a file cabinet. That is only for stuff I pick up at thrift stores that's not worth much or if the disc is not "perfect".

Wish I had the room to do this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aHVICOcR4G...ary02small.jpg

but even a bedroom would not be enough.
The initial startup is a pain, but once you get over that hump, doing 10 or 20 at a clip, it is really a breeze. Do it while you're watching a disc or TV and it really flies by. I did my, at the time, 1000 title collection in the span of a weekend.
Old 12-29-13, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For over 7 years I have ditched cases and moved to DiscSox. They are not cheap, they cost 35-40 cents each. They hold 2-discs in double-sided protected sleeves that hold the entire original coverart and all inserts. DVD and Blu-ray sleeves are available, I use the "Pro" sleeves. The artwork is completely clean, no extra folds. You can pull them out of the sleeves, put them back in a case to sell or display.

What about larger sets? I buy single 2-disc CD-type sleeves for 3-4 disc sets. For bigger stuff, I use 4-disc sleeves in addition to the 2-disc/artwork holder. They tuck nicely into the Pro sleeves.

I store my DiscSox in inexpensive IKEA media boxes (2-pack for $5-6). They come in all sorts of colors, black, red, green, and white. Each box holds 50-60 movies. That shelving unit is 5' tall, 10" wide x 12" deep. It holds about 450 movies. I'm up to 20ish boxes, most hold 1-2 letters. I have one tray that they sell that holds movies that I have out to watch, or to be returned to the boxes. The one tray holds 40-50 movies easily... looks super neat.

I display box sets, digibooks, and criterions, only. I keep about 50 cases in storage, so I have them. I also keep most special cases (3-disc/4-disc/5-disc... or more). I sell my excess Blu-ray cases periodically, they pay for about half of my DiscSox. (Thanks OCD collectors who hate eco cases or want all Vortex or Elites. )

I only buy the DiscSox on sale or when free shipping promos hit. They show up cheap on eBay or J&R or Container store as well. Generally a 25 pack is $13-14 for me.

Last edited by beebs; 12-29-13 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-29-13, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just looking at something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1H93INMGOOKRG

It would be hard enough ditching the cases without losing the covers and artwork.
Old 12-31-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've always wanted to try something like this? anyone ever try these:
http://www.jazzloft.com/p-48874-spac...d-sleeves.aspx

btw, someone else sells these too, just can't remember who one of the big media accesories places.
Old 01-02-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake View Post
I've always wanted to try something like this? anyone ever try these:
http://www.jazzloft.com/p-48874-spac...d-sleeves.aspx

btw, someone else sells these too, just can't remember who one of the big media accesories places.
Those look like they're intended for a binder or a box like what Beebs posted above. I do like that they allow the cover art to wrap around the disc.

Beebs, could you post a picture of one of your boxes open? I'd like to see what they look like with discsox sleeves already inside.
Old 01-04-14, 11:26 AM

I am thinking of reducing the cases because of space they consume (if I win the lottery then I'll just by a mansion and then space won't matter) but until then I want to keep the art work, so using slimline CD jewel cases are not for me, but I was thinking that while solutions like dvdsox look quite a good idea, has anyone come into a problem where the discs have slightly warped and then have encountered playback errors, or for that matter any other regrets when slimming their media. It's just that in the cases, they are stored as flat as possible, and by reading a few sources around the net they recommend to keep them in the cases. So It would be a wasted venture if one were to go down this route (DVDSOX) then later discover a flaw and then go about undoing everything revert back to putting their movies back into cases. I have about 80-100 films.
Old 01-04-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful of your flippers. I briefly did the binder thing and the space saving is amazing. But, I noticed the flippers were getting some wear from being exposed. I compromised and moved everything into slim CD cases. Works great for me.

Old 01-04-14, 12:33 PM

thanks, and your collection looks smart with all the same colour tone of the cases. But they look like they don't accommodate the movie artwork. In some ways for instance I've only seen 3 movies last year 2013 that I would buy, and about 20 that I just haven't got round to buying since I started collecting. I think for the most part maybe my collection won't grow that much. I've been collecting movies on DVD since 2000 so I would say that unlike some collectors I keep only movies I like and will watch again. 99% of movies I watch I don't even contemplate keeping, and I trade them in for a part exchange price to trade on films I haven't yet seen. Otherwise if I kept every dvd I got, I figure it would top about 2000. So in that respect I suppose I'm not in a fix for space like really big time collectors.
Old 01-04-14, 01:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I was just looking at something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1H93INMGOOKRG

It would be hard enough ditching the cases without losing the covers and artwork.
I did this to my collection with similar binders in the past, but kind of miss having the full artwork. So I'm thinking about trying this idea:
  • 3-ring binders (zippered to keep dust out)
  • Regular sheet protectors for the artwork, inserts, ads, etc
  • CD/DVD inserts that hold 4 discs per side for the discs

I'll still keep the unique packaging, either on the shelves or in storage with the discs transferred to binders, but I can toss a couple thousand plain cases.
Old 01-04-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by big e View Post
Those look like they're intended for a binder or a box like what Beebs posted above. I do like that they allow the cover art to wrap around the disc.

Beebs, could you post a picture of one of your boxes open? I'd like to see what they look like with discsox sleeves already inside.
no no binders. there is no whole punch or anything like that. A box I would imagine or just like cases. I have can-am cabinets but they are full and could use a way to reduce space. They sell the same ones for CDs. Thought about those too. Here is the cd version. there is a video too.
http://www.jazzloft.com/p-34281-spac...d-sleeves.aspx

again not shilling or anything, but this is the closest to a solution I have found but don't want to commit unless I can get feedback from someone.
Old 01-04-14, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 300 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I did this to my collection with similar binders in the past, but kind of miss having the full artwork. So I'm thinking about trying this idea:
  • 3-ring binders (zippered to keep dust out)
  • Regular sheet protectors for the artwork, inserts, ads, etc
  • CD/DVD inserts that hold 4 discs per side for the discs

I'll still keep the unique packaging, either on the shelves or in storage with the discs transferred to binders, but I can toss a couple thousand plain cases.
Let me know if you find a good 3-ring zippered binder that allows for adding/removing pages. (with large capacity)
Old 01-04-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jory View Post
Jeeeeeeeeeesus.

Odd, though... this person has enough money to buy all those movies, and doesn't buy a larger TV? I don't have half that many films, and even I saved up for a 1080p 46-inch.
That is a 70in. LG 3D TV, but it doesn't look that big, even in videos/pictures that are not distorted. It's hard to get good perspective in alot of these videos.

Here is a link to his youtube site and his "Cinematic Media Library" tour, which gives a better perspective of the TV. His library is amazing, though he doesn't have very many collectibles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVMYi2OWP5g
Old 01-08-14, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jory View Post
I'm the king of procrastinators, but every now and then I actually follow through on one of my threats. This time it was my longstanding threat to get rid of the DVD and Blu-ray cases that have been taking up so much room in my relatively small apartment. I bought two 320-disc capacity CD wallets on Amazon, and after a few days' work, I got most of the discs out of the cases and into the wallets, making sure to leave empty spaces for new additions:

One wallet is for movies, the other for TV shows. Simple.

I know that a lot of cinephiles are probably horrified at the very thought of doing something like this, and I was worried that I would get all nostalgic about losing the cases and artwork, but I really didn't. I was so fucking sick of those cases, in more ways than one: taking up so much room, constantly having to find new space for them, having to re-arrange shelves with every new addition, putting up with case spindles that won't hold the disc at all because the plastic shattered in transit, and (I could post five topics about this one) cases in which getting the disc out is a chore because the people who designed it were more concerned with it looking nice than with it being functional. Now that it's done, my only thoughts are "good riddance."

(In case anyone is wondering, no, I didn't throw out the cases entirely. They're all sitting in a big box shoved in the back of my closet in case I ever need them, and I took out the paper sleeves and stuffed them in a big Ziploc bag that's sitting next to the box. It's a good thing I kept them, because I've had to dig them out on occasion, like when I give away a DVD that I own more than one copy of.)

Anyway, doing this cleaned up the shelves in my place considerably. The vast majority of my DVDs and Blu-rays went into the CD wallets, but I did keep one small shelf devoted to movies:

As you can see, I like to keep it loose with space for additions. There are several reasons why I may put something on this shelf with packaging intact instead of relegating it to the CD wallets: if it has nice packaging, if it's one of my favorite movies, or if putting the discs in the CD wallets would be redundant (for example, if a lot of discs are crammed together in a box set and no more space can be saved by removing them).

On the top shelf there are some small sets (Alfred Hitchcock, Alien, Chucky, Terminator, Universal Classic Monsters), the Monty Python's Flying Circus "16-Ton Megaset," and some single-film releases with nicer packaging (Apocalypse Now, Halloween 35th Anniversary, Nosferatu, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Steelbook, some Godzilla films). The middle shelf has Mission: Impossible on the left (the black film cans housing the DVDs were taken out of the huge cardboard box in which they came), Blade Runner (my favorite movie, sitting next to the hardcover book it came with), King Kong in the ridiculous metal tin case, some Criterion Blu-rays, a couple of multi-film sets (A Nightmare on Elm Street and the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films), and some nicer single-film releases (Gladiator Steelbook, Taxi Driver). The bottom shelf has a few of those Mill Creek sets filled with 50 movies each, Star Trek stuff in the middle, and Tales from the Crypt on the right (the packaging on these is far too good to throw out).

Everything else went in the CD wallets. I had to make some tough decisions here and there. Should I keep the Mel Brooks Blu-ray set intact on the shelf, or spread the discs out alphabetically in the CD wallets? (I chose the latter.) Some of it was hard to throw in the closet because it was just so pretty, like the Simpsons and Futurama cases, but the more frustration I had with getting the discs out, the more I wanted the damn things gone. Now getting the discs out is just a matter of flipping to it in the CD wallet and pulling it out. I sacrificed some aesthetics for convenience, but my progressively rising blood pressure is okay with that.

P.S. Please, no requests for the cases I threw in the closet. As eager as I was to get rid of them, I like keeping them around in case I ever need them.
I noticed in one of those pictures that you have some of Perry Mason. So do I! I'm a fan of that, too (I have 3 1/2 seasons' worth).
Old 01-08-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 662 Posts

I started putting a lot of stuff in binders but ended up putting a lot of it back in their cases. Some of the titles I left in the binder are things that took up a massive amount of space, including the 40 volume Star Trek TOS collection and all eleven seasons of M*A*S*H. I've also left in some b-grade stuff, like things I get from video store closings and such.
Old 04-22-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I should update this topic, since a complete reversal has come about. Yes, even though it's been scarcely four months, all the discs have gone back in their cases and back on the shelves.

Why? A few reasons. First, the CD wallets, which seemed great at the time, annoyed me more and more as time went on. I didn't like how they left small scuff marks on the disc surfaces (never serious enough to cause skipping, but I'm paranoid nonetheless) and simply lugging out the huge wallet and flipping through the pages to get what I wanted was becoming progressively more annoying each day. It seemed like for every advantage the CD wallets had, a more severe disadvantage would pop up making the whole ordeal seem not so worthwhile.

Second, I found some new shelves that have been working out much better than the old ones. Specifically, they can hold more cases in about the same amount of space, so space is no longer a problem. One shelf is designed specifically for DVDs, and the other is one of those tall shelves that lean against the wall, not designed with DVD and Blu-ray storage in mind but surprisingly well-suited for the task.

I'll keep the CD wallets around, just in case my collection ever becomes so unruly that they once again become necessary, but for now I'm counting this an an interesting failed experiment.

I'm still working on doing some re-arranging in my collection, using this opportunity to put things in more specific categories than I've been used to, and in the next couple of days I'll have pictures to post. (I'm simultaneously working on the bookshelves which take up three of the four walls of my bedroom, so progress has been slow.)
Old 04-26-14, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I did this:

24-disc poly cases. Almost 700 discs. I cataloged them all in an excel spreadsheet. Simple to find what I want, and the almost 500 pounds of dead weight in cases, booklets, inserts, I tossed into the trash. Saved my sanity.
Old 04-26-14, 06:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
and the almost 500 pounds of dead weight in cases, booklets, inserts, I tossed into the trash. Saved my sanity.
Trash!?

I'm sure someone here would have wanted at least some of it. Aren't we here to help each other?
Old 04-26-14, 10:08 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

Part of the joy in having my collection is having the cases, booklets and inserts to peruse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm always looking for 2, 3, and 4 disc cases to replace ones that are either faulty or eco (crap). Ended up having to buy some at retail from Amazon.
Old 04-26-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Interesting to see you've reversed course, Jory. Certainly nothing wrong with that. I posted earlier in the thread that I think collecting should be fun, so do as you see fit.

I agree with you, kd5. I like the idea of consolidating and saving space, but I enjoy sometimes looking for something to watch. It brings back memories of looking through titles at the early video stores or library. I don't buy as much as I used to, but I still will casually walk through the media section about any time I'm in a B&M store. And I enjoy that even if I come out empty handed.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 04-30-14 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, it took a little longer than "a day or two" to rearrange everything since I was working on the huge bookshelves in my bedroom at the same time, and I was also waiting on a shipment of DVDs and Blu-rays that was taking forever to arrive, but now it's all done.

I know this isn't a giant collection, and some may be thinking, "What the hell? This is what was causing a space crisis?" But there really isn't a free wall in the apartment for new shelves, and the old ones were not made for DVD storage and could only hold so many.

I took a chance on the second shelf since it was not specifically designed to hold DVDs and Blu-rays, but it turned out to be amazingly well-suited for the job. It's sort of a dust magnet, but a quick pass with a cotton duster every week or so keeps it clean.

I posted some wide shots and a whole shitload of close-ups in the "post pics of your DVD collection" topic, in case anyone wants to see exactly what I've got and make fun of my poor taste in film:

Here you go.
Old 06-01-14, 02:10 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
I did this:

24-disc poly cases. Almost 700 discs. I cataloged them all in an excel spreadsheet. Simple to find what I want, and the almost 500 pounds of dead weight in cases, booklets, inserts, I tossed into the trash. Saved my sanity.
I've done the same things with my collection.I've saved enough space to clear one of my Racks (Which I've moved to the Dining Room to store Chinaware and Crystal Glassware. I estimate I'll have cleared at lest two more cases. As for the old cases, The single disk containers will be recycled, the Multi-Disk Cases will be Yard Sale Fodder. Ten Cents each or 12 for a Buck.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.