Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Perry Mason TV Movies finally getting a DVD release

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perry Mason TV Movies finally getting a DVD release

Someone in another thread mentioned that Amazon is selling seasons of Perry Mason pretty cheap, so I went to have a look, and what do I find? This. If you don't feel like clicking the link, I'll tell you: it's a "Perry Mason Movie Collection Volume 1" available for pre-order.

This recent article on TV Shows On DVD says that they reported this "a little over a month ago," but I apparently didn't get the memo.

When I started watching these movies, I was a bit surprised by how good they were. Not that they're masterpieces, but they're better than your typical TV movie reunion crap, and the best of them can stand with the best episodes of the original series.

Right now, the only TV movie available on DVD is the first, Perry Mason Returns, which is included as an extra on the Perry Mason: 50th Anniversary Edition set. The others periodically get uploaded to YouTube, and are usually taken down a few days later for copyright violations.

It'll be nice to have them on DVD, but of course there are drawbacks. First, although the original planned release date for Volume 1 was 31 December 2013, TV Shows On DVD is saying that it's been "postponed," and Amazon doesn't list a release date, although it's available for pre-order. Second, the list price is steep: $58.99 for six TV movies, and Amazon is only offering a 10% discount.

Hypothetically, if they release all 30 movies in six-movie sets at $60 each, it'll cost $300 to own them all. I guess $60 for 571 minutes of material doesn't seem too unfair, but as much as I like these movies, I wouldn't pay $300 to get them all. Hopefully there will be some huge sales when Volume 1 is released.
Old 12-02-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,696 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Re: Perry Mason TV Movies finally getting a DVD release

Nice. I'm a fan of Perry Mason and the TV movies that aired on NBC years ago were really good.

Holy shit!! There were 26 Perry Mason movies from 1985 until Burr's death in 1993.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-02-13 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I watched these when they were on in the 80s and 90s, and enjoyed them a lot. I even taped a few of them, and enjoy watching the fuzzy copies to this day. I'd love to have them as DVDs, but that price looks high to me. I'll wait.
Old 12-17-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to TV Shows on DVD, this is an exclusive to Amazon. So there won't be any price matching/lowering going on.