Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I'm sorry to hear of your loss asianxcore. My condolences, thoughts, and prayers are with you.
Old 10-15-13, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Thanks and again thanks to everyone for the kind words. Against many of my friends' wishes, I drank and listened to music last night. That is very unlike me, as I don't drink much at all, but honestly, I didn't know what to do with myself. We do all know each other well through these challenges, I would think.

One of my close friends is working on getting a venue for the memorial, hopefully having an open service for friends (eventually) and having a Benefit Concert locally to help out my friends' Mother with all the costs this will bring. My friend loved music and was a musician, so having a show with all of his favorite local bands we thought was a fitting idea.

Going to try and watch as much as I can, as I might need a distraction right now.
Truly sorry to hear. I know it's hard to deal with but it sounds like you have some good ideas to remember him and by doing so will help yourself deal with it. Trying to find distractions to get breaks from having to dwell on it is a good idea. When my wife passed, my son and I played a lot of Xbox games together, helping each other and talking about it in a pace that made it not so crippling to deal with.

At the moment I'm sort of throttling down on my daily watches I think. I've noticed a similar pattern where if I was doing good early in the challenge, by mid-month I usually need a break. But I'm still getting in two or three a day versus other challenges where I can see I went three or four days without watching a one. And I've been going back and playing the Walking Dead game since I've had all the episodes downloaded but had only ever played the first, which is still horror-related at least.
Old 10-15-13, 03:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

took a break today from the Horror fare and caught a midday screening of 'Gravity' in 3D/Dolby Atmos:

will try to watch the first episode of the new season of 'American Horror Story: Coven' tonight, before tomorrow nights next episode.

head's up for the ABC's 'Toy Story Of Terror!' airing tomorrow night.

Review: 'Toy Story Of Terror!' Is A Hauntingly Great Halloween Special
Old 10-15-13, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twisted Nerve was a lot better than I expected. Really good stuff. Hayley Mills was genuinely likable, though also seemed like a bit of an idiot, and Hywel Bennett was pretty creepy and restrained as Martin/Georgie. It had a pretty tense atmosphere as well. Martin's motivations and actions seemed a little random at times though, and it prevented it being as tight as it could've been. Still, definitely worth a watch.
Old 10-15-13, 03:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

My thoughts are with you asianxcore. I lost a very dear friend earlier in the year. It was quite unexpected so I have some idea what you are going through.

I just got done watching Terror Circus aka Barn of the Naked Dead. Its a low budget, very sleazy picture but Andrew Prine is good as the psycho and there's even a monster in the outhouse. Well worth a viewing I'd say. A very strange thing is that hanging on the wall in the guy's "workroom" is a copy of a Sea Devils comic book! I spotted it right away because I collect comic from that time. This was published by DC back in the sixties and this particular issue is #30 dated July-Aug of 1966 -- a good 7 years or so before the movie was made. I just can't figure what the heck it's doing there. It is a cluttered room but still... For your edification I've included a picture of the cover.

OK, maybe a little off topic, but who else can I tell about this?

Old 10-15-13, 03:47 PM

Oh, and since we're now halfway through the challenge, I thought I would post a little update. 87 films so far, which I'm really happy with since I thought getting to 50 would be a struggle. I could've squeezed in a few more, but I had to remind myself I wasn't worried about numbers this year. Haven't had much luck with first time viewings unfortunately, but here's my top 5 so far:

1. Dead Heat (1988)
2. Manhunter (1986)
3. Linkeroever (2008)
4. Twisted Nerve (1968)
5. Slashers (2001)
Old 10-15-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
took a break today from the Horror fare and caught a midday screening of 'Gravity' in 3D/Dolby Atmos:

will try to watch the first episode of the new season of 'American Horror Story: Coven' tonight, before tomorrow nights next episode.

head's up for the ABC's 'Toy Story Of Terror!' airing tomorrow night.

Review: 'Toy Story Of Terror!' Is A Hauntingly Great Halloween Special
I'm with you on catching up with Coven. And thanks for the Toy Story reminder.

I meant to mention yesterday that one of my most enjoyable watches was a family-friendly film called The Hole about, well, a hole. I wasn't expecting anything special (it was directed by Joe Dante, though) but it was actually a blast to watch. If you go into it thinking Goosebumps, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. There's some scenes near the end where an abusive father and home is perceived as giant, exaggerated monsters. The level of detail and attention paid to this mental insecurity of a child just blew me away. The acting was barely capable, but not distracting. I'm going to revisit this one next month (with the family this time).

The Hole Netflix Streaming
Old 10-15-13, 05:45 PM

My top five first time views so far would have to be: Absentia, The Pact, The Invisible Man, Child's Play 2, and The Innocents.

(The Girl Next Door would be on the list for how well done it is, but it's not a truly "enjoyable" film nor is it easy to repeat.)
Old 10-15-13, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by arw6040
My top five first time views so far would have to be: Absentia, The Pact, The Invisible Man, Child's Play 2, and The Innocents.

(The Girl Next Door would be on the list for how well done it is, but it's not a truly "enjoyable" film nor is it easy to repeat.)

isn't that an amazing movie - I remember the first time I saw it, the hairs on my neck stood straight up at the chilling tension filled ending.
Old 10-15-13, 06:34 PM

isn't that an amazing movie - I remember the first time I saw it, the hairs on my neck stood straight up at the chilling tension filled ending.
Yes for sure, loved the atmosphere/build up. I also
Spoiler:
still don't know how to interpret what was actually going on but I enjoy reading theories.
Old 10-15-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

WTF Naomi Watts is in Children Of The Corn 4?!?!?
Old 10-15-13, 08:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

My top 5 first time views halfway through -

American Mary (2012)
Night of the Demons (1988)
The Collector (2009)
Wrong Turn (2003)
Critters (1986)

I have about a handful of others I truly enjoyed (out of almost 80 FTVs - most have been kind of meh) but nothing stands out as a new favorite thus far.
Old 10-15-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Finally made it thru Human Centipede, and I think once is enough. There wasnt anything to like about it as a horror movie, and I feel dirty after watching it. The dvd is going in the trash, thankfully it was only five bucks.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-16-13 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Finally made it thru Human Centipede, and I think once is enough. There wasnt anything to like about it as a horror movie, and I feel dirty after watching. The dvd is going in the trash, thankfully it was only five bucks.

I'll take that DVD off of your hands!
Old 10-15-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Finally made it thru Human Centipede, and I think once is enough. There wasnt anything to like about it as a horror movie, and I feel dirty after watching. The dvd is going in the trash, thankfully it was only five bucks.
Use it at the next Best Buy upgrade and save.
Old 10-15-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I'll take that DVD off of your hands!
I will just get rid of it for a $5 off coupon at the next Best Buy trade in and upgrade sale.
Old 10-15-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Trivia question: (no prize. Just for fun). I just watched a movie that featured "boob'o'lanterns". Any guesses what the movie was?
Old 10-15-13, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I will just get rid of it for a $5 off coupon at the next Best Buy trade in and upgrade sale.
There's some speculation that Best But might discontinue it's upgrade and save program with it's dwindling physical media section and lack of u&s announcement this quarter.
Old 10-16-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Yeah, I just DVR'd that from one of the Showtime channels. I was only thinking about watching just one of the Children/Corn sequels for this challenge (The one that one of the producers on the checklist produced,Genesis,which is streaming) But the heck with it. I feel like doing a "Before-They-Were-Stars" viewing this week. So I'll get to Naomi's movie later on.

Speaking of which, I think Sparky (aka Mightysparks) was finishing out the Hellraiser sequels. If she does, she'll run into Henry "Superman" Cavill in Hellworld!
Old 10-16-13, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Just watched the Maniac remake. Having avoided reviews, it took about 15 minutes before it dawned on me: "Holy crap ... the whole movie is going to be shot in the killer's point-of-view". So there's this, the 40s noire "Lady in the Lake", and Gaspar Noe's "Enter the Void". Any other total POV features?
Old 10-16-13, 01:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
And Eva Mendes is in part 5, for those interested.
Old 10-16-13, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Just watched the Maniac remake. Having avoided reviews, it took about 15 minutes before it dawned on me: "Holy crap ... the whole movie is going to be shot in the killer's point-of-view". So there's this, the 40s noire "Lady in the Lake", and Gaspar Noe's "Enter the Void". Any other total POV features?
What did you think of the remake?

I know it's not a feature length, but 'Phase I Clinical Trial' on V/H/S/2 is shot entirely POV.
Old 10-16-13, 03:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Hocus Pocus BD for $10.99 is the Amazon lightning deal for the next couple hours. I thought I owned the DVD but couldn't find it, so why not.
Old 10-16-13, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell S
And Eva Mendes is in part 5, for those interested.
I did a big run of Children of the Corn sequels for last year's challenge, and this was one of the minor perks along the way. Watts, too.
Old 10-16-13, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Watched the first five minutes and it was awesome. Waiting for the second episode to air so I can double them up for the challenge. Man, I'm excited about this season.

My top five watches so far (first-time viewings only)

1. I Spit on Your Grave 2
2. Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th
3. The 'Burbs
4. Detention
5. Frankenweenie

Last edited by indiephantom; 10-16-13 at 06:40 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.