Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 9th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/25 - 1/1)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 9th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/25 - 1/1)

Old 10-09-13, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The time has come... once again... for...

2012 Winner: Trevor (277)
2011 Winner: dfmaverick (276)
2010 Winner: HyperWeather (182)
2009 Winner: Trevor (287)
2008 Winner: Dimension X (250)
2007 Winner: Trevor (509)
2006 Winner: RobCA (128)
2005 Winner: FantasticVSDoom (35)

OFFICIAL RULES

-Movies, TV shows/specials, Short Films & Cartoons Count

-The movie or TV show DOES NOT need to be holiday oriented. It could simply take place during the holiday season (i.e. Batman Returns, Gremlins, Die Hard, etc.)

-Although the movie doesn't have to take place during the holiday season, a MAJORITY of the film HAS to take place during the holiday season. No movies with just one scene during the holiday season. If you're not sure, ASK!

-Any holiday from Thanksgiving through New Years Day may count

-A film can only be viewed once, UNLESS you watch it and then watched it again with a commentary

-There is no global goal, shoot for a personal goal. Whatever you want your goal to be go for it. For returning participants maybe your goal should be to beat a previous year's goal.

-Again, like past years there will be a THREE Wild Card option to include movies or TV shows you might watch during the holiday season that is not holiday oriented. My family used to watch Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory every Christmas. So anything is allowed, up to 3.

-Specials such as the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, New Years Rockin' Eve, etc. can count, but you MUST watch the entire special in order to count it.

-PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE number your lists!

-It doesn't matter how you see the film, VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Laserdisc, Theatrical release, it can be counted. Just have fun.

-Like last year the challenge will begin at dusk on Sunday November 24, 2013 and will end at dawn on Thursday January 2, 2014

CHECKLIST

Spoiler:
--- Watch a Thanksgiving movie:
--- Watch a Thanksgiving TV episode:
--- Watch a Thanksgiving special:
--- Watch something animated about Thanksgiving:

--- Watch a Christmas movie:
--- Watch a Christmas TV episode:
--- Watch a Christmas special:
--- Watch something animated about Christmas:
--- Watch some version of A Christmas Carol:

--- Watch a New Year's movie.
--- Watch a New Year's TV episode.
--- Watch a New Year's special:
--- Watch something animated about New Year's:

--- Watch something Charlie Brown:
--- Watch something Garfield:
--- Watch an Oscar Winner:
--- Watch "It's a Wonderful Life", "A Christmas Story", National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" OR some version of "Miracle on 34th Street"

--- 1920s:
--- 1930s:
--- 1940s:
--- 1950s:
--- 1960s:
--- 1970s:
--- 1980s:
--- 1990s:
--- 2000s:
--- 2010s:
--- Watch a Film From the Year You Were Born:

--- Watch the MST3K version of a film/show.
--- Watch a film/show and its remake:
--- Watch a film/show based on or turned into a video game. -
--- Watch a film/show based on a novel:
--- Watch a silent film.
--- Watch a film/show with commentary.
--- Watch a film/show that takes place in space.
--- Watch a film/show that takes place on or under the sea.

Watch a film/show for each rating:
--- G:
--- PG:
--- PG-13:
--- R:
--- Unrated:

PLEASE KEEP THE DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Enjoy the Horror Movie Challenge and I Look Forward to All Participants!

Last edited by The Monkees; 11-21-13 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 05:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 9th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/25 - 1/1)

Already putting a pile aside in anticipation!
Old 10-09-13, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 9th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/25 - 1/1)

Looking forward to this.
Old 10-09-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We need the results thread from last year, I know I didnt win, but I think I finished second.
Old 10-09-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With the Holiday list that Rob created/updates, I've prepared my DVR accordingly for this challenge.
Old 10-09-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How does one "win" this challenge?
Old 10-09-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-09-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
We need the results thread from last year, I know I didnt win, but I think I finished second.
I've never understood the need for a separate thread for results.
Old 10-09-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

There is always a results thread for the horror challenge. I know there is no real winning with the holiday challenge, kind of more about bragging rights. I watched the most entries I ever have last year, due to being on medical leave from work. Kind of curious to see the final results from everyone.
Old 10-09-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
There is always a results thread for the horror challenge. I know there is no real winning with the holiday challenge, kind of more about bragging rights. I watched the most entries I ever have last year, due to being on medical leave from work. Kind of curious to see the final results from everyone.
I think the horror challenge lives by its own set of rules. Other challenges that choose to post results could do so in the discussion thread, in my opinion.
Old 10-09-13, 07:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I think I'll make a separate thread for the next Leap Day Challenge results and dedicate it to you.
Old 10-10-13, 12:22 AM

I'm going to get around to the results thread very soon, I just haven't had the time.
Old 10-10-13, 12:52 PM

between this thread, AND Pier 1 and Sears putting out their X-mas Holiday stuff out - I didn't realize that it was THAT time of year again .... time's flying by WAAAY to fast.
Old 10-11-13, 09:18 PM

Love this challenge, every year I add a new film or two to my perennial classics list. Last year it was Arthur Christmas, wonder what it will be this year?
Old 10-11-13, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two of my favorite holiday specials are the Nature Christmas episode, Christmas in Yellowstone, and the He-Man She-Ra Christmas Special.
Old 10-12-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Two of my favorite holiday specials are the Nature Christmas episode, Christmas in Yellowstone, and the He-Man She-Ra Christmas Special.
That nature episode is really fantastic. PBS has done a really good job of airing it every year. I have a bunch of dvds in my amazon wishlist to buy for the challenge this year, and I will subscribe to netflix, to mix up my viewing list from last year.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-12-13 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since we have a Christmas tree in the "holiday" challenge original post, can't we just call it what it is and call it a "Christmas Challenge"?
Old 10-12-13, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth View Post
Since we have a Christmas tree in the "holiday" challenge original post, can't we just call it what it is and call it a "Christmas Challenge"?
It runs from just before Thanksgiving through New Years Day - so it should really be called the Holidays Challenge. Seriously, calling it the "Holiday Challenge" isn't just being PC, and actually makes sense in this case.
Old 10-13-13, 12:10 AM

Results from last year's challenge has been posted

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/61...e-results.html
Old 10-13-13, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
It runs from just before Thanksgiving through New Years Day - so it should really be called the Holidays Challenge. Seriously, calling it the "Holiday Challenge" isn't just being PC, and actually makes sense in this case.
Besides, I would think we'd want an excuse to watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles during crossover time! I would consider that the best Thanksgiving movie, wouldn't you all?
Old 10-14-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I think I'll make a separate thread for the next Leap Day Challenge results and dedicate it to you.
Looking forward to it in 2016!
Old 10-15-13, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

--- Watch "A Christmas Story"
And just like that, there's no point me bothering with the checklist. I'll never understand the compulsion to require specific films for this challenge.

Anyway, I'm continuing my yearlong audit of movies in my library that I haven't logged since I started using DVD Profiler in 2009 and there are several that are eligible for this challenge so my only real goal will be to get through all of those.
Old 10-16-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
And just like that, there's no point me bothering with the checklist. I'll never understand the compulsion to require specific films for this challenge.
I kind of agree with Travis on this one. A Christmas Story is my least favorite holiday movie. I sat through it last year-basically it was on at my brother's house and I watched it with them-but I have no desire to watch it this year.

How about making it optional? Or there are four of them that are fairly specific (--- Watch "It's a Wonderful Life"
--- Watch some version of "Miracle on 34th Street"
--- Watch "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"
--- Watch "A Christmas Story").

How about making them all one line so people can chose? "---Watch "It's A Wonderful Life," National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation," "A Christmas Story" OR a version of "Miracle on 34th Street."

Quite honestly none of the 4 are that enjoyable to me but I can definitely watch some version of one of them. That way if someone wants to watch all 4, they can, but if they have issues with one of them, they have better chances of liking at least one of them. And it's a compromise rather than just getting rid of "A Christmas Story."
Old 10-16-13, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ABC family has already released their 25 days of Christmas Schedule on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2164580&type=1
Old 10-16-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
I kind of agree with Travis on this one. A Christmas Story is my least favorite holiday movie. I sat through it last year-basically it was on at my brother's house and I watched it with them-but I have no desire to watch it this year.

How about making it optional? Or there are four of them that are fairly specific (--- Watch "It's a Wonderful Life"
--- Watch some version of "Miracle on 34th Street"
--- Watch "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"
--- Watch "A Christmas Story").

How about making them all one line so people can chose? "---Watch "It's A Wonderful Life," National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation," "A Christmas Story" OR a version of "Miracle on 34th Street."

Quite honestly none of the 4 are that enjoyable to me but I can definitely watch some version of one of them. That way if someone wants to watch all 4, they can, but if they have issues with one of them, they have better chances of liking at least one of them. And it's a compromise rather than just getting rid of "A Christmas Story."
While I like 3 of the 4 enough to want to watch them every year I'd agree. Either drop all 4 or combine them into a single item. Maybe go as far as to make it "Watch a 'Classic' Holiday film". Of course that opens the "what constitutes a 'classic' Holiday film" can of worms... To avoid that one add a few more to the mix: A Christmas Carol (any version), Home Alone, Holiday Inn, White Christmas, The Santa Clause, Elf, Christmas in Connecticut, and others.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.