Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Darkgod
This is the first challenge were I have seen 90% of the picks... I usually look forward to them for new suggestions
it sucks we're limited to things that are widely available...
Old 09-18-13, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
anyone know what movie is around the 00:31 mark...where the woman is projectile vomiting?
That's Veronica Cartwright vomiting cherry pits (I don't remember why) from The Witches of Eastwick.
Old 09-18-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant find anything else that is readily streaming online for splat pack except for

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

so i guess thats my pick....
Old 09-18-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

while i get why it was always preferred so more people have access to it...having them coincide with the daily theme doesn't help either

in my case I got Splat Pack where i found one terrible movie that is streaming from said group....
Old 09-18-13, 09:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

For the Ice Terrors theme night subset choice, let's officially nominate The Thing From Another World (1951). Can someone with Netflix please verify that it will be streaming next month? There are lots of other great "ice" choices, but I thought that we might as well knock this classic film out.

For our ~12 hours of crossover time with DVDTalk's Criterion Challenge (now playing in this same subforum!), I not-so-humbly nominate Se7en to be the unofficial subset choice. I don't think we've covered it before, and I haven't re-watched it in ages.

Here is a handy spoilered list of most/all of the horror Criterion titles that Travis created:
Spoiler:

Antichrist
The Blob
Blood for Dracula
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Carnival of Souls
Carrie
Cat People
Corridors of Blood
Cronos
The Devil's Backbone
Diabolique
Empire of Passion
Equinox
Eyes Without a Face
Fiend Without a Face
First Man into Space
Flesh for Frankenstein
Genocide
Geometria
Ghostbusters
Godzilla
Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell
Halloween
The Haunted Strangler
Haxan
House
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Island of Lost Souls
Jigoku
King Kong
Kuroneko
Kwaidan
The Living Skeleton
The Night of the Hunter
Onibaba
Peeping Tom
The Phantom Carriage
Repulsion
Rosemary's Baby
Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom
Se7en
The Silence of the Lambs
Sisters
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
The Uninvited
Vampyr
The Vanishing
Videodrome
White Dog
X from Outer Space
Old 09-18-13, 09:48 AM

I discovered another horror film festival happening in the UK, so I'm going up to Manchester for the weekend of October 5-6 to see a few cool sounding films:

The Human Race
Found
The Butterfly Room
Stalled - saw this at FrightFest already, but I loved it so much I want to see it agian.
The Machine

There's also a Halloween all-nighter happening here in London that I'm thinking of going to (though I have trouble staying awake for those things). AHHH SO MUCH EXCITEMENT I CAN'T HANDLE. I LOVE OCTOBER.
Old 09-18-13, 10:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrycloth
i cant find anything else that is readily streaming online for splat pack except for

Netflix Instant also has The Devil's Carnival and 11-11-11, which should count as Darren Lynn Bousman films.
Old 09-18-13, 10:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
For the Ice Terrors theme night subset choice, let's officially nominate The Thing From Another World (1951). Can someone with Netflix please verify that it will be streaming next month?
The Thing From Another World is not currently streaming and doesn't have a future start date posted on the site.
Old 09-18-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
Netflix Instant also has The Devil's Carnival and 11-11-11, which should count as Darren Lynn Bousman films.
awesome i overlooked 11/11/11..first pick was devils carnival but was already picked i actually really enjoyed that title/
Old 09-18-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

That's a good point; however, with the hundreds of horror films available on Netflix/Amazon/YouTube streaming I tend to think it may just be participants are picking familiar titles instead of being adventurous in selecting more eccentric subset picks.

...Or it's hard to satisfy people, like us, who watch >100 horror movies annually with suggestions of exciting fresh material they haven't seen.

Regardless there are a number of subset picks that are excellent I'm looking forward to.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-18-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-18-13, 10:40 AM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

The Faculty also qualifies for splat pack and is streaming on netflix
Old 09-18-13, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
The Thing From Another World is not currently streaming and doesn't have a future start date posted on the site.
Rats! Thanks. So what do you all think? Santa Claus horror?
Old 09-18-13, 11:54 AM

Oh, and welcome to the forum PCBreakdown! It looks like you registered just for our little foray here!
Old 09-18-13, 12:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

while i get why it was always preferred so more people have access to it...having them coincide with the daily theme doesn't help either

in my case I got Splat Pack where i found one terrible movie that is streaming from said group....
Am I wrong in thinking that you don't have to pick a movie from the lists that were provided, but could choose any movie that fit the theme? So, wouldn't you be able to choose any movie that was really violent/gory?

I just assumed that the lists Chad included in the subset section was just to give suggestions.
Old 09-18-13, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Welcome PCBreakdown.
Old 09-18-13, 12:08 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome to PCBreakdown.
Originally Posted by cwileyy
Am I wrong in thinking that you don't have to pick a movie from the lists that were provided, but could choose any movie that fit the theme? So, wouldn't you be able to choose any movie that was really violent/gory?

I just assumed that the lists Chad included in the subset section was just to give suggestions.
I wasn't previously familiar with the term "splat pack" but apparently the Splat Pack is a specific group of film-makers who made violent movies from 2002 onward. I understood this theme day to focus on those individuals, rather than just violent/gory films at large. However, if there is limited avaliability of selections for that day I, for one, am in favor of expanding to theme to just violent/gory recent (?) films.

Splt Pack Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splat_Pack
Old 09-18-13, 12:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh, wow. I had never heard of that term to refer to those guys.
Old 09-18-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for joining the fun PCBreakdown.
Old 09-18-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

You know what? I agree, and I'm glad this was brought up. That list is just off. A big part of this is discovering new films you haven't heard of, and severely limiting picks to streaming only is not helping with that.

Looking over past subset threads, there's not a big increase in discussion for films with streaming titles. In fact, last year Blacula had the most discussion of any subset thread with 33 posts and it wasn't streaming anywhere at the time.

And as already mentioned--NOTHING is guaranteed to remain streaming throughout October. Netflix only gives you a very subtle one week heads up in your online queue, and YouTube could yank any title in a heartbeat without warning.

That being said, if you have another subset pick in mind let me know. And I'm talking something you really want without the limitation of it being a streaming title. We're resourceful people and finding them isn't that daunting of a task. The last thing I wanna do is suck the fun out of this.

Originally Posted by cwileyy

No, you're not wrong. Those assigned themes were there for those who, well, wanted an assigned theme. You don't have to use it if you don't want.
Old 09-18-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
For our ~12 hours of crossover time with DVDTalk's Criterion Challenge (now playing in this same subforum!), I not-so-humbly nominate Se7en to be the unofficial subset choice. I don't think we've covered it before, and I haven't re-watched it in ages.

Here is a handy spoilered list of most/all of the horror Criterion titles that Travis created:
Spoiler:

Antichrist
The Blob
Blood for Dracula
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Carnival of Souls
Carrie
Cat People
Corridors of Blood
Cronos
The Devil's Backbone
Diabolique
Empire of Passion
Equinox
Eyes Without a Face
Fiend Without a Face
First Man into Space
Flesh for Frankenstein
Genocide
Geometria
Ghostbusters
Godzilla
Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell
Halloween
The Haunted Strangler
Haxan
House
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Island of Lost Souls
Jigoku
King Kong
Kuroneko
Kwaidan
The Living Skeleton
The Night of the Hunter
Onibaba
Peeping Tom
The Phantom Carriage
Repulsion
Rosemary's Baby
Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom
Se7en
The Silence of the Lambs
Sisters
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
The Uninvited
Vampyr
The Vanishing
Videodrome
White Dog
X from Outer Space
Yeah, I forgot to say that one we'll pick as a group. And noted.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Welcome to PCBreakdown. I wasn't previously familiar with the term "splat pack" but apparently the Splat Pack is a specific group of film-makers who made violent movies from 2002 onward. I understood this theme day to focus on those individuals, rather than just violent/gory films at large. However, if there is limited avaliability of selections for that day I, for one, am in favor of expanding to theme to just violent/gory recent (?) films.

Splt Pack Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splat_Pack
I don't think it's really necessary to expand that theme. This includes everything from those nine filmmakers and isn't just limited to directed by titles. And there's a few PG-13 films like Insidious and The Last Exorcism, so not all of them live up to the nickname.
Old 09-18-13, 02:47 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
You know what? I agree, and I'm glad this was brought up. That list is just off. A big part of this is discovering new films you haven't heard of, and severely limiting picks to streaming only is not helping with that.

Looking over past subset threads, there's not a big increase in discussion for films with streaming titles. In fact, last year Blacula had the most discussion of any subset thread with 33 posts and it wasn't streaming anywhere at the time.

And as already mentioned--NOTHING is guaranteed to remain streaming throughout October. Netflix only gives you a very subtle one week heads up in your online queue, and YouTube could yank any title in a heartbeat without warning.

That being said, if you have another subset pick in mind let me know. And I'm talking something you really want without the limitation of it being a streaming title.
Could you make some of the subsets DOUBLE picks, perhaps? A sort of "and/or" for those who want more.

And if so (or even if not so), could Musicals be "Devil's Carnival or Repo!" please...?

(Not least because even though the majority are "streaming," few - if any - are on Amazon Prime. Which counts me out - what a loss to you all! - for most of them. )
Old 09-18-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ntnon
Could you make some of the subsets DOUBLE picks, perhaps? A sort of "and/or" for those who want more.
Sorry, that one I can't do. It would literally double the work and we really need to get this done so we can move on to the checklist.

And if so (or even if not so), could Musicals be "Devil's Carnival or Repo!" please...?
Then you're in luck because the former is the musical pick.

(Not least because even though the majority are "streaming," few - if any - are on Amazon Prime. Which counts me out - what a loss to you all! - for most of them. )
Well, you can still participate in the discussion threads for the titles you've already watched.
Old 09-18-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good call, Chad on opening up titles for the subset. Probably something more in mind for next year. It's true that nowadays there are many sources including a lot of HD channels and On Demand which are mentioned as often, in addition to those great titles in our collections.

I think it could be a bit more of treasure hunt for some that would make it equally interesting. There's a lot of good stuff on the list this year, and I think the idea of hitting up classics is still a great one and then "retiring" them afterward.

Anyway, theme nights are the real treat of the challenge and the subset films offer a chance to share in one common title from the lot. My biggest hope is for more overall response in those forums this year. I think it's brilliant that Blacula got that much attention. It will be interesting to see what the most discussed are from the pack and, there always the "unofficial" subset films that people tend to start discussing. Every year I've noticed a few titles emerge that lots of us end up watching and enjoying through the run of the challenge.
Old 09-18-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad

That being said, if you have another subset pick in mind let me know. And I'm talking something you really want without the limitation of it being a streaming title. We're resourceful people and finding them isn't that daunting of a task. The last thing I wanna do is suck the fun out of this.

No, you're not wrong. Those assigned themes were there for those who, well, wanted an assigned theme. You don't have to use it if you don't want.
Back to Killer Tongue? It is available cheap
Old 09-18-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE=SterlingBen;11839907]Back to Killer Tongue? It is available cheap <param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/nGHB2B99Sck?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/nGHB2B99Sck?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/SPOILER]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.