Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 5th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Got done with it earlier. This may have had a better storyline that Room/View, but I'm with you in the rankings. Room/View was just more visually alive than this.
With regards to Howards End, as a big fan of the novel, which is a "visually" and intellectually stunning one, I found the film to be flat in comparison. True of many novels, to be sure, but the differences between Schlegels and Wilcoxes, old London and new London, domestic concerns and international ones are much more muted in the film. The film itself feels rushed, but I'm probably biased because of my great love and knowledge of the novel.
Old 09-06-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Around 3AM, I streamed Crumb. It seemed like a good time of night for it. From my Letterboxd diary:

Spoiler:
There is a divide between the entirely arbitrary and subjective reactions of the casual viewer and the analytic appraisal of the trained critic. More often, we think of popcorn movies falling into this divide as films that the critics bash for sport. Crumb is of the other, rarer sort. It is a film that almost certainly will offend - annoy, at best - casual viewers, but will resonate with critics by virtue of its reflective nature.

Growing up as I did with comic book culture, Crumb was known to me by reputation long before I ever got even a glimpse of his work. By that time, of course, his underground comix had become an established counterculture niche that had transcended its original, subversive connotations and instead occupied a respected place in the artistic continuum (even if that place was on the fringe of the continuum).

Though the first Terry Zwigoff film I saw was Bad Santa, it was Ghost World that best prepared me for how this documentary would perceive its subject. In his 2010 essay for Criterion, Crumb Reconsidered, Jonathan Rosenbaum notes that "Zwigoff doesn’t avoid or shortchange any of the moral and political issues that Crumb’s work raises, including those involving sexism and racism, although he doesn’t pretend to settle any of them either." The issues raised and explored are where the film will lose casual viewers, but it's by refraining from passing judgment on them that it engages the critic.

Zwigoff made no bones about his bias as documentarian, having been a friend of Crumb's long before beginning the filming over a span of six years. Rather than give us a two-hour infomercial, though, Zwigoff acts as our inside man, ferreting out of Crumb and his brothers very candid discussions of a troubling nature. I was reminded at times of Wesley Willis' Joy Rides, particularly the sections in which the brothers discuss their youth and reveal their individual mental health issues.

Just as appalling as learning that their father broke Robert's collarbone at the age of five on Christmas is the on-camera remarks concerning Maxon's history of sexual assault. He recounts an incident in which he stalked a woman into a store, compelled to pull down her shorts. Robert laughs, but rather than a laugh of endorsement, it is as Rosenbaum characterizes it, one of disbelief. Robert laughs throughout the entire documentary, in fact, quite apparently in lieu of being able to articulate any other reaction to the depth of his and his family's dysfunction.

I wish the Crumb sisters had agreed to participate in the filming of the documentary. Whether their accounts would have alleviated or magnified some of the horror, it would at least have given a fuller context for understanding the prolific artist.

There is at least one glaring deficiency to Crumb from a critical perspective. Though there are differing views from women about Crumb's artistic portrayal of women in his work, the matter of race is not only given much less attention; it's discussed exclusively by white commentators. I could almost give Zwigoff a pass for relying on people close to Crumb if not for the fawning of critic/apologist Richard Hughes, whose relationship (if any) with Crumb is never established. Surely, there was at least one African-American critic or expert in some related field who could have been recruited to discuss Crumb's work.

I don't really know what to make of Crumb. I found myself far less interested in R. Crumb the artist than in the Crumb family. As a documentary, its unflinching look at such personal matters is compelling from start to finish. The content itself, though, elicits degrees of empathy and repulsion, and various reactions between. Crumb falls into that no man's land between subjective and critical, reminding me that I, too, am somewhere between casual viewer and critic.

Crumb entered my Flickchart at #604/1568

Crumb
-X- 1990 (1995)
-X- 501-550 (#533)
-X- Language: English
-X- Theme: Cult Movies
-X- Theme: Documentaries
-X- Theme: Dysfunctional Families
-X- Theme: Independent American Cinema
-X- Essay: Crumb Reconsidered by Jonathan Rosenbaum
1/10 List: Andrew Weil's Top 10

Last edited by Travis McClain; 09-06-13 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't had any time to watch a movie this past week, so I've been going through the supplements on my 8 1/2 Blu-Ray. Last night I watched the interview with Sandra Milo, who starred in a couple of Fellini's films. It's about 25 minutes and I found it unexpectedly moving. Fellini had several mistresses, but she was apparently one of his great loves. The interview has a nice, story-like quality to it. I really recommend giving it a spin.
Old 09-06-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,029 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Went back to Amazon to stream The Harder They Come. From my Letterboxd diary:
This has been on my to-watch list for a long time so given this inspiration I started playing it last night (on Prime, even though I have the DVD sitting right here on my shelf). But the accents/language made me quickly realize that I was going to have to pay a lot closer attention than I had available at the time, so I had to turn it off.
Old 09-06-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

I have in my office a bunch of VHS tapes of foreign films, salvaged from a colleague who moved out. (GRAND ILLUSION, LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD, DIABOLIQUE, etc.) I'm sure some of these are eligible for this challenge, yet I couldn't find an official list of Criterion titles in the List Thread or this one. Is there such a list and will someone please provide a link to it? I can't be the only one needing such a list.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

^Alphabetical list:
http://www.listsofbests.com/list/562...habetical-list

Originally Posted by davidh777
This has been on my to-watch list for a long time so given this inspiration I started playing it last night (on Prime, even though I have the DVD sitting right here on my shelf). But the accents/language made me quickly realize that I was going to have to pay a lot closer attention than I had available at the time, so I had to turn it off.
Yeah, give the DVD a spin w/ subtitles on. I remember when I first rented the movie on VHS, only to find that certain lines in the film were subtitled. But it would've been more convenient if the whole film was subtitled (Last time I ran into this problem was on my streamed-viewing of Kes. I could barely understand what was being said)
Old 09-06-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a problem in the first ~15 minutes with some of the dialog, but then I acclimated. I never did really understand the guy who worked with Ivan at Preacher's salvage yard, though. He sounded like a Caribbean Andre the Giant.
Old 09-06-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have in my office a bunch of VHS tapes of foreign films, salvaged from a colleague who moved out. (GRAND ILLUSION, LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD, DIABOLIQUE, etc.) I'm sure some of these are eligible for this challenge, yet I couldn't find an official list of Criterion titles in the List Thread or this one. Is there such a list and will someone please provide a link to it? I can't be the only one needing such a list.

Thanks.
I think we all use Criterion.com. (That link will take you to the full list of Criterion titles.) I have to ask, because now I'm really curious: How have you been making your selections without using a master list? Also: Have you been working on the checklist? Because several sub-sections require the use of Criterion.com. I can't fathom how one could follow those links to work on those checks without also using the site to check titles.
Old 09-06-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Thanks.
I think we all use Criterion.com. (That link will take you to the full list of Criterion titles.) I have to ask, because now I'm really curious: How have you been making your selections without using a master list? Also: Have you been working on the checklist? Because several sub-sections require the use of Criterion.com. I can't fathom how one could follow those links to work on those checks without also using the site to check titles.
I use Wikipedia as it's easier to view (no multi-page clicking through needed).

There's the Laserdisc listing which also shows spine numbers for those which have received a DVD/Blu-ray release.

and the DVD/Blu-ray listings which cross-reference back to the LD release.

I doubt either is as reliable or up to date as the Criterion site but for me they are easier to use.
Old 09-06-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How have you been making your selections without using a master list? Also: Have you been working on the checklist?
1) It's easy, I've got a few shelves worth of Criterion discs (see pic below). I just watch those. Now that I have this cache of VHS tapes, I have to check on their Criterion eligibility. There was no need to when I simply drew from the Criterions I have already.

2) I haven't consulted the checklist yet.

Old 09-06-13, 07:08 PM

Thanks.
Thanks, Travis.

Ash, Criterion.com is always the best way to go because it not only lists current titles, but it also has announced titles (which are also eligible). If you click the criterion logo in the top lefthand corner of either thread it'll take you to criterion.com. The checklist also has links in the decades and other requirements.

1) It's easy, I've got a few shelves worth of Criterion discs (see pic below). I just watch those. Now that I have this cache of VHS tapes, I have to check on their Criterion eligibility. There was no need to when I simply drew from the Criterions I have already.
The search box on Criterion's website will autocomplete, so I've always found that helpful for titles. If you started to type Marien.. for Last Night at Marienbad, it would already let you know if it was a DVD/BD title.

It is important to note that they don't put Laserdisc titles that weren't released on DVD/BD on the website. That's the reason for the link to the Wikipedia page.
Old 09-06-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Yesterday, I got in a couple of 80s films: Burden of Dreams (1982) and The Makioka Sisters (1983). The first was a “Movie Night” selection by one of my friends who is obsessed with Werner Herzog. The film is a Les Blank documentary that follows Herzog as he films Fitzcarraldo. While I really enjoyed it, I was expecting a bit more about the actual filming and those involved. The film does a good job charting Herzog’s changing moods as well as the problems with filming (particularly with the boats).

Herzog is fond of saying “but this did not interest me, what interested me was this” when talking about the nuances of his subjects and the ways that he approaches topics in a complicated way. Blank’s documentary does not take advantage of this thought process and is a very narrow look at Herzog’s battle with boats, natives, and the jungle. I would have loved to see more of the cast and crew – these disciples of the madman director – and the toll that the film takes on them all. I mean I love some pretty obsessive, charismatic people, but they are not going to convince me to go into the jungle or get onto a boat going through perilous rapids for any amount of money!

The Makioka Sisters is a very nicely done film that put me in mind of soap operas and Douglas Sirk melodramas. Of course, the characters do not flail about as much, but they are beset with a litany of emotional and material problems and often respond with quiet (and sometimes not-so-quiet) hysterics (how’s that for an oxymoron). It was a bit difficult for me to keep everyone straight in my head, and this was exacerbated by the fact that I had to watch it in chunks over two days. I really hate doing that!

One of the aspects of the film that struck me were the absolutely gorgeous kimonos that are worn throughout. The colors and patterns are so vibrant and beautiful. I found myself wishing that our clothes were that bright (but not that complicated). I was also intrigued by how the film downplayed politics and war. Japan’s involvement in the war is only briefly eluded to in conversation. When I read the essay by Audie Bock, she states that the film was made for a privileged audience that did not want to be reminded of the wartime trials and poverty, so such topics did not make it from the source material to the screen.
Old 09-06-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Game. Set. Match. Damn, yo!
Old 09-06-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, I made it home and watched Godzilla/Gojira tonight. I kind of enjoyed it. I wouldn't say I loved it, but I'd watch it again. I liked the relationships between the main characters. The special effects, or course, are a bit amusing, but I have to give them credit-it's really not that bad (except the one scene where the buildings tip over because of a breeze, then get set on fire.)

I decided to watch the companion film, Godzilla, King of the Monsters with Raymond Burr. I don't know whether to be amused or upset at how easily they wiped out the main characters and inserted "Steve the reporter." The original footage is shown piece meal, sometimes Steve is edited in, sometimes new footage is added and to give them credit, it's not awful, but having just watched the original, I'm a bit appalled by this...hatch job. When adding dialogue by the original actors, they only used just one method of doing it-by not showing the actor's faces. It's pretty obvious. I wonder if people realized what they were doing?
Old 09-06-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

Which movie is in between Nikkatsu Noir and Late Ozu? That same exact writing is used on the spine of Sweet Movie. Can't picture Ash owning that one
Old 09-07-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Which movie is in between Nikkatsu Noir and Late Ozu? That same exact writing is used on the spine of Sweet Movie. Can't picture Ash owning that one
It appears to me to be Twenty-Four Eyes.
Old 09-07-13, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It appears to me to be Twenty-Four Eyes.
Bingo!

Starring Hideko Takamine as a schoolteacher. I bought it a few days after reading her obituary. I still have to watch it.

P.S. The problem with using Criterion.com to find title eligibility is that the titles that are only on Hulu won't come up, e.g. CRUEL STORY OF YOUTH. You have to do a separate search on the Hulu list.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-07-13 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-07-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I really want to alphabetize your shelf! As soon as I find the memory card for my camera, I'll post pics of my Criterion collection. My phone doesn't have a flash so any pics taken in my poorly lit apartment make it look like I live in the world of Fallout 3.

Yesterday, I was exhausted after teaching MLA citations and trudging around campus and to my car in 100+ heat. When I got home, I showered and popped in Evita (1996), one of my favorite musicals. I rented the VHS enough times to buy it several times over, so my parents gave me the DVD for Christmas with my first DVD player. I love it so much! I know all the words to every song (included the added one), have both the film soundtrack and original Broadway cast recording on my iPod, and I cannot be on a balcony for any length of time before singing part of "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina".

That being said, it's probably been a good four years since I properly watched the film (not just skipped through to favorite songs and moments). It was like visiting an old friend and being relieved to find they are just as awesome as you remember. Alan Parker is able to create a great atmosphere that is somehow both gritty and opulent at the same time. Madonna is awesome and really sells Eva's rise to power, and both Antonio Banderas and Jonathan Pryce are excellent as revolutionary Che and laconic dictator Juan Peron. The dream waltz between Eva and Che remains one of my favorite movie moments. As they tersely criticize each other, they waltz through the film's locations, and the effect is wonderful. We see that for these two, the world is a series of sets upon which their drama unfolds. Sure people also live and work in these streets, hovels, factories, ballrooms, and mansions, but to Eva and Che they are a an intricate puzzle of stages that both must - for their own purposes - struggle to command.
Old 09-07-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
Well, I made it home and watched Godzilla/Gojira tonight. I kind of enjoyed it. I wouldn't say I loved it, but I'd watch it again. I liked the relationships between the main characters. The special effects, or course, are a bit amusing, but I have to give them credit-it's really not that bad (except the one scene where the buildings tip over because of a breeze, then get set on fire.)

I decided to watch the companion film, Godzilla, King of the Monsters with Raymond Burr. I don't know whether to be amused or upset at how easily they wiped out the main characters and inserted "Steve the reporter." The original footage is shown piece meal, sometimes Steve is edited in, sometimes new footage is added and to give them credit, it's not awful, but having just watched the original, I'm a bit appalled by this...hatch job. When adding dialogue by the original actors, they only used just one method of doing it-by not showing the actor's faces. It's pretty obvious. I wonder if people realized what they were doing?
I'm a big defender of GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS. The U.S. distributor faced an unprecedented situation: how do you sell a foreign monster movie in the U.S. to an audience that would wind up being predominantly teens and children? Monster movies in 1956 were not marketed to adult audiences. (They once were, though, back in the early 1930s.) The first thing to plan with a film like this was to dub it in English, of course--dubbing films into English was a relatively recent, postwar phenomenon, applied mostly to Italian and French movies--but would this audience eleven years after the end of WWII want to see a movie filled with Japanese protagonists, our recent enemy? Sticking an American actor in there, playing a reporter as sort of a guide to Japan for the U.S. audience, seemed to be the best strategy. Up to that time, Raymond Burr, who plays the reporter ("Steve Martin"), had been mostly seen in movies as villains (and as the driven prosecutor in A PLACE IN THE SUN), familiar to audiences, but not yet particularly famous. And he would work fast (one week) and cheap. So they hired a former editor (Terry Morse) to direct it and put it together.

When the film premiered on television in 1958 (when, as a child, I first saw it), Burr was by then a major TV star, thanks to Perry Mason. So the film attracted an even bigger audience. For my generation, GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS was our first introduction to Japanese filmmaking. It success meant that subsequent Japanese monster films could be shown dubbed in English but without this kind of alteration. The first one after GODZILLA was RODAN (1957), which featured all Japanese characters, dubbed into English (the dub cast included Keye Luke and George Takei). I saw that on TV sometime in 1959. After that the floodgates opened (THE MYSTERIANS, BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE, MOTHRA, KING KONG VS. GODZILLA, GODZILLA VS. THE THING, etc.). The 5th James Bond film, YOU ONLY LIVE IN TWICE (1967) was shot in Japan and featured three Japanese cast members in large roles and further inspired my interest in Japan. In high school I saw my first Kurosawa, THE SEVEN SAMURAI. And the rest is history.

Interestingly, in 1965, Toho Pictures actually imported an American star, Nick Adams, to co-star in a new Godzilla movie, GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO, directed by Ishiro Honda, director of GOJIRA. That same year, Adams starred in YOUNG DILLINGER, directed by Terry Morse, making him the only actor to work for both directors responsible for GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS.

Years later, we've got Pokemon, Power Rangers and Hayao Miyazaki and a flood of Japanese pop culture in the U.S. All thanks to GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS.

P.S. In 1979, Japan Society showed GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS as part of a Japanese Sci-fi film festival. It was the first time most of us were seeing it on the big screen. When Burr introduced himself as Steve Martin, the crowd roared. Steve Martin, the comedian, had just become famous and we'd all forgotten the movie character's name from childhood TV showings, so it was a surprise to us.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-08-13 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-07-13, 09:55 AM

P.S. The problem with using Criterion.com to find title eligibility is that the titles that are only on Hulu won't come up, e.g. CRUEL STORY OF YOUTH. You have to do a separate search on the Hulu list.
Yeah, I haven't found a way around that, really. I just started a free 2-month trial of HuluPlus last month and, generally speaking, I'm disappointed with the chaotic nature of the layout, especially between devices. Also, I thought it would be much more comprehensive on Criterion/Eclipse titles and special features by now. Not sure that I'll keep the subscription after the trial is up next month.
Old 09-07-13, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if this is what anyone what looking for, but here's a list of most of the titles that are exclusive to Hulu. It doesn't look like it has been updated for a few months though.
Old 09-07-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,029 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
The Makioka Sisters is a very nicely done film that put me in mind of soap operas and Douglas Sirk melodramas. Of course, the characters do not flail about as much, but they are beset with a litany of emotional and material problems and often respond with quiet (and sometimes not-so-quiet) hysterics (how’s that for an oxymoron). It was a bit difficult for me to keep everyone straight in my head, and this was exacerbated by the fact that I had to watch it in chunks over two days. I really hate doing that!

One of the aspects of the film that struck me were the absolutely gorgeous kimonos that are worn throughout. The colors and patterns are so vibrant and beautiful. I found myself wishing that our clothes were that bright (but not that complicated). I was also intrigued by how the film downplayed politics and war. Japan’s involvement in the war is only briefly eluded to in conversation. When I read the essay by Audie Bock, she states that the film was made for a privileged audience that did not want to be reminded of the wartime trials and poverty, so such topics did not make it from the source material to the screen.
You can thank me for The Makioka Sisters being eligible for this challenge!

I'll explain. Many years ago, when I was in high school, I saw The Makioka Sisters in a theater with my parents. A few years later, she would occasionally mention that movie and how she couldn't find it on home video. I happened to talk to a Criterion sales rep, and mentioned that The Makioka Sisters would fit well in their catalog. She hadn't heard of it, but she thanked me for thinking of them and said she'd take the suggestion back to home office. Fast-forward to 2011, and The Makioka Sisters is released by Criterion! Sure, this was probably 6-8 years after the conversation, and I heard that that particular rep (who worked for Home Vision) had been laid off when Image took over Criterion, but I think it's pretty clear where the foundation for that particular title was laid. I'm surprised I haven't received any royalty checks!
Old 09-07-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can thank me for The Makioka Sisters being eligible for this challenge!

I'll explain. Many years ago, when I was in high school, I saw The Makioka Sisters in a theater with my parents. A few years later, she would occasionally mention that movie and how she couldn't find it on home video. I happened to talk to a Criterion sales rep, and mentioned that The Makioka Sisters would fit well in their catalog. She hadn't heard of it, but she thanked me for thinking of them and said she'd take the suggestion back to home office. Fast-forward to 2011, and The Makioka Sisters is released by Criterion! Sure, this was probably 6-8 years after the conversation, and I heard that that particular rep (who worked for Home Vision) had been laid off when Image took over Criterion, but I think it's pretty clear where the foundation for that particular title was laid. I'm surprised I haven't received any royalty checks!
I have the disc and the original novel. My plan has been to read the book and then see the movie. But it's a looonnnnggggg book.
Old 09-07-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regarding The Criterion Collection on Hulu, the filtered list on Flickchart is up to date. It's not sortable by alphabet, unfortunately, but if you want to verify a specific film, you can simply do a CTRL+F search on the page. You can display up to 250 movies per page (I've already set the link to do that), and there are 854 titles at present so there are 4 pages of results.

I do contribute to that, but only negligibly and I'd be outright lying if I took any real credit for the database work. The lion's share of that has been done by another guy.
Old 09-07-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Spoiler:
I'm a big defender of GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS. The U.S. distributor faced an unprecedented situation: how do you sell a foreign monster movie in the U.S. to an audience that would wind up being predominantly teens and children? Monster movies in 1956 were not marketed to adult audiences. (They once were, though, back in the early 1930s.) The first thing to plan with a film like this was to dub it in English, of course--dubbing films into English was a relatively recent, postwar phenomenon, applied mostly to Italian and French movies--but would this audience eleven years after the end of WWII want to see a movie filled with Japanese protagonists, our recent enemy? Sticking an American actor in there, playing a reporter as sort of a guide to Japan for the U.S. audience, seemed to be the best strategy. Up to that time, Raymond Burr, who plays the reporter ("Steve Martin"), had been mostly seen in movies as villains (and as the driven prosecutor in A PLACE IN THE SUN), familiar to audiences, but not yet particularly famous. And he would work fast (one week) and cheap. So they hired a former editor (Terry Morse) to direct it and put it together.

When the film premiered on television in 1958 (when, as a child, I first saw it), Burr was by then a major TV star, thanks to Perry Mason. So the film attracted an even bigger audience. For my generation, GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS was our first introduction to Japanese filmmaking. It success meant that subsequent Japanese monster films could be shown dubbed in English but without this kind of alteration. The first one after GODZILLA was RODAN (1957), which featured all Japanese characters, dubbed into English (the dub cast included Keye Luke and George Takei). I saw that on TV sometime in 1959. After that the floodgates opened (THE MYSTERIANS, BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE, MOTHRA, KING KONG VS. GODZILLA, GODZILLA VS. THE THING, etc.). The 5th James Bond film, YOU ONLY LIVE IN TWICE (1967) was shot in Japan and featured three Japanese cast members in large roles and further inspired my interest in Japan. In high school I saw my first Kurosawa, THE SEVEN SAMURAI. And the rest is history.

Interestingly, in 1965, Toho Pictures actually imported an American star, Nick Adams, to co-star in a new Godzilla movie, GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO, directed by Ishiro Honda, director of GOJIRA. That same year, Adams starred in YOUNG DILLINGER, directed by Terry Morse, making him the only actor to work for both directors responsible for GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS.

Years later, we've got Pokemon, Power Rangers and Hayao Miyazaki and a flood of Japanese pop culture in the U.S. All thanks to GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS.

P.S. In 1979, Japan Society showed GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS as part of a Japanese Sci-fi film festival. It was the first time most of us were seeing it on the big screen. When Burr introduced himself as Steve Martin, the crowd roared. Steven Martin, the comedian, had just become famous and we'd all forgotten the movie character's name from childhood TV showings, so it was a surprise to us.
Ok! I submit! I had no idea that it was that pivotal of a movie for the Japanese film genre in the US. I was looking at the fact that a good movie had been slashed and very...interestingly at that!

I did do a double take the first time I heard Steve Martin in the film.

Haven't watched anything today, though I did go to a small local comic con. My link to this was I saw some artwork of Godzilla and surprised the guy by saying I had just saw the original yesterday (the work was of the original).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.