DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   5th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/612860-5th-annual-criterion-challenge-discussion-thread.html)

CardiffGiant 08-18-13 08:38 PM

5th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Logo.svg.png

30 Days of Criterion - Discussion Thread
August 31st (dusk) - October 1st (dawn)

Although I've been running the challenge for a few years now, much of the credit goes to Trevor for first leading the challenge and to Travis McClain for his countless contributions. Much of the language in this post and in the checklist originated, at least in one way or another, to Trevor's original challenge.

The goal of the Criterion Challenge is to watch Criterion content and share your experience with the rest of us. There is no specific number goal, no winners, no losers, no prizes.

Rather than compile long lists, watch what you would normally watch in a month, but concentrate it on Criterion content as much as you can/want. In fact, bulk watching is discouraged, as that will limit your time for discussion and for immersing yourself in a film. Participants are encouraged to explore fully a film and its supplemental material.

There will be a separate thread to include your lists as linked above. A daily journal sort of entry is recommended for your list. Since counting is not required or "scored" in any way, you are free to be as creative as you wish in how you list items. Bolding of your item titles is encouraged, if only to make them stand out to allow others to quickly see if they have seen the same items and wish to comment. Give reviews. Even if it's just a mini-review, a simple :up:/:down:, or a one word description. Be creative and personalize it however you wish - use one post for the whole month, daily posts, weekly posts, give reviews, provide IMDB links, add YouTube videos, add images, etc. It's recommended that you provide a link to your list(s) in your signature for easy access. Last year's List Thread should give you a good idea how participants format their lists.

What qualifies? Any film, short, video or supplemental feature that has been released by Criterion/Eclipse qualifies. The film does not have to watched on an actual Criterion disc. You may watch the film on any format imaginable, provided that it is the same film that Criterion has released. For example, the film On the Waterfront was released by Criterion on DVD/BD. But you don't have to watch the movie on that particular DVD/BD. You can watch it on VHS, on broadcast TV, on the internet, Netflix, HuluPlus, iTunes, or any of the other DVD/BD releases On the Waterfront has had. Additionally, any title released by Criterion exclusively on streaming (See: HuluPlus) is eligible for this challenge.

Discussion and debate on how to change the Challenge is encouraged. We have made sizable changes this year, but it's always good to get the conversation going for next year.

[COLOR="Blue"]Check out the full list of Criterion and Eclipse DVD and BD releases here. Criterion's website allows for sorting by Brand, Format, Director, Country, Decade, and Features. This will allow easy searching for working through needed checklist items.

There are some titles currently streaming on Netflix, including a number of OOP titles. On rare occasions, you can find an Eclipse title there as well.

There are many Criterion titles available on Hulu Plus. Last year we decided to count any title available on Criterion's Hulu Plus site. These include titles that Criterion has the rights to, but has yet to release on DVD/BD. Hulu Plus offers a standard 1-week free trial. Additionally, Criterion regularly rotates new titles for "free" viewing on Hulu (usually 3-4 titles).

A quick Google search will occasionally locate various "deals" with longer free Hulu Plus trial memberships.

Criterion titles occasionally appear on broadcast television. Keep an eye on this discussion thread for upcoming broadcasts.

Criterion Laserdisc releases are also eligible for the challenge.

Optional Checklist

The checklist is completely optional. It is just a "fun" inclusion to give one a sense of accomplishment, to help one diversify viewing, or to use as a guide on what to watch next.

Feature Presentation
Watch one film from every decade covered by Criterion.
--- 1920/1930 - (insert film title here)
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000/2010 -

Watch something from spine number range:
--- 001-050 -
--- 051-100 -
--- 101-150 -
--- 151-200 -
--- 201-250 -
--- 251-300 -
--- 301-350 -
--- 351-400 -
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 501-550 –
--- 551-600 -
--- 601-650 -
--- 650-700 -
--- an Eclipse title -
--- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion (Hint: Check DVD Spine# here for some eligible titles) -

Watch films in at least 5 languages.
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fourth language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fifth language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch 5 films from different people in Criterion's Explore People section (Each title must be unique. For example, Pierrot Le Fou could NOT count for Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean-Luc Godard, and Anna Karina, just one)
--- First Person, (insert title)
--- Second Person, (insert title)
--- Third Person, (insert title)
--- Fourth Person, (insert title)
--- Fifth Person, (insert title)

Watch a film from 5 different “themes” on Criterion’s website
--- First Theme name, (insert title)
--- Second Theme name, (insert title)
--- Third Theme name, (insert title)
--- Fourth Theme name, (insert title)
--- Fifth Theme name, (insert title)

Special Edition Features
Read 5 essays from the Criterion booklets and/or listed here
--- First Essay title, (title of film)
--- Second Essay title, (title of film)
--- Third Essay title, (title of film)
--- Fourth Essay title, (title of film)
--- Fifth Essay title, (title of film)

Watch 5 Criterion supplemental interviews.
--- First Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Second Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Third Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Fourth Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Fifth Interview Name, (insert film title)

Watch 5 Criterion Theatrical Trailers
--- First Trailer Title
--- Second Trailer Title
--- Third Trailer Title
--- Fourth Trailer Title
--- Fifth Trailer Title

--- Watch a film with commentary –
--- Watch a supplemental short film –
--- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. -
--- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set/Top Ten List -
--- Listen to a Criterion/Eclipse film soundtrack -

(One film could fill multiple items. Example: Fanny & Alexander would qualify for a decade, language, spine number range, theme (Blue Christmases), etc.)

(Change "---" to "-X-" or some similar mark when you have completed that line item.)

The challenge officially begins August 31 at dusk in whatever location you are in at the time, and ends on October 1st at dawn in whatever location you are in at that time. Also, feel free to time your final Criterion film(s) to coincide with the start of the Horror Challenge.

Travis McClain provided the following links, which are quite helpful.

Criterion.com
Twitter - @Criterion
Flickchart - The Best Criterion Collection Films
Flickchart: The Blog - Criterion Commentaries
ICheckMovies.com - The Criterion Collection
iCheckMovies - Criterion's Eclipse Collection
Flickchart - Criterion Collection on Hulu
Flickchart - Criterion Eclipse Titles
Flickchart - Criterion Collection
Travis McClain's Criterion for Noobs

ntnon provided a list of Amazon Prime eligible titles

CardiffGiant 08-18-13 08:41 PM

Re: 5th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

I've still got some edits to make to the first post, and I'll continue to do that running up to (and through) the challenge itself. I'd love to hear feedback on the checklist, which is certainly NOT necessarily final. It's an exact replica of last year's checklist with the extra spine numbers. I just wanted to get the thread, and conversation, started.

Travis McClain 08-18-13 09:18 PM

Woot! This has become my favorite challenge of the year. I have a couple of things to add up front, before I forget 'em.

Earlier this year, I compiled a list of my own of "Criterion for Noobs". These are 20 titles in The Criterion Collection that I personally feel make for nice starting points for those who are just beginning to explore it. I'm sure there are other, equally deserving movies but these are 20 that I've seen. I'll periodically make revisions as I continue to explore it myself.

I also got to thinking about the checklist item of watching every part of a Criterion disc. I wonder if we should amend that to exclude some of the early, single-disc editions that only include a trailer and brief featurette.

Lastly - and I think this was briefly discussed last year - I propose that we revise the "Top Ten Directors" sub-section and make it "Watch Films from [X] People". That curated list includes actors and directors, so maybe we could up it from 5 to 10 OR we could set it at 5 with the stipulation of no duplication for that section.

More as I think of it. I'm excited for this challenge!

CardiffGiant 08-18-13 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Travis McClain (Post 11802746)
Earlier this year, I compiled a list of my own of "Criterion for Noobs". These are 20 titles in The Criterion Collection that I personally feel make for nice starting points for those who are just beginning to explore it. I'm sure there are other, equally deserving movies but these are 20 that I've seen. I'll periodically make revisions as I continue to explore it myself.

Cool. I added it to the list of links in the first post. I think it could be quite helpful for people and get them interested in looking at other lists.

I also got to thinking about the checklist item of watching every part of a Criterion disc. I wonder if we should amend that to exclude some of the early, single-disc editions that only include a trailer and brief featurette.

I think this may be difficult to enforce. I've thought about it, too, but what would we consider "enough"? With so many different types of supplements we might do more harm than good. Could someone watch a film and a single trailer and watch "every part of a disc"? Sure, but I also think that we might discourage more participation in the checklist that we encourage. Ultimately, I think it might be difficult to determine what is enough to constitute a checkmark.

Lastly - and I think this was briefly discussed last year - I propose that we revise the "Top Ten Directors" sub-section and make it "Watch Films from [X] People". That curated list includes actors and directors, so maybe we could up it from 5 to 10 OR we could set it at 5 with the stipulation of no duplication for that section.

I was researching the exact thing when I read your post. We need a change here and I think your suggestion...either one...is an excellent one. It might be good to go with 5 without duplication within the category (e.g. - Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean-Luc Godard couldn't count as two checks for Breathless).

CardiffGiant 08-18-13 09:56 PM

Last year the spine numbers were bothering me a bit (we are up to 16 individual films) required for that portion of the checklist. Do we need an expansion in range, an elimination of that portion, which is simultaneously iconic and arbitrary, or should I keep it the way that it is? This is an issue that I really go back and forth on and I worry that it's becoming a bloated part of the checklist. Every other part encourages exploration, the spine numbers don't really do that.

I also have reordered my Criterion titles to be alphabetical (from ordered by spine numbers) within the last year, so I could be completely subjective on this one. The change was one of utility as I wanted to be able to find the titles more easily.

mrcellophane 08-18-13 10:28 PM

Woot! This has become my favorite challenge of the year. I have a couple of things to add up front, before I forget 'em.

I too am excited! I have a whole bunch of films I'm planning to check out next month.

Travis, I really like your list and have only seen eleven of the twenty films. I've got some catching up to do! While I have viewed many a list on Criterion.com, I've never created one. You've inspired me to give it a try!

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant (Post 11802790)
Last year the spine numbers were bothering me a bit (we are up to 16 individual films) required for that portion of the checklist. Do we need an expansion in range, an elimination of that portion, which is simultaneously iconic and arbitrary, or should I keep it the way that it is? This is an issue that I really go back and forth on and I worry that it's becoming a bloated part of the checklist. Every other part encourages exploration, the spine numbers don't really do that.

I also have reordered my Criterion titles to be alphabetical (from ordered by spine numbers) within the last year, so I could be completely subjective on this one. The change was one of utility as I wanted to be able to find the titles more easily.

I would vote for expanding the range, perhaps to cover 100 titles. I too had to alphabetize my Criterion titles after my collection grew too large.

Travis McClain 08-18-13 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant (Post 11802778)
Could someone watch a film and a single trailer and watch "every part of a disc"? Sure, but I also think that we might discourage more participation in the checklist that we encourage. Ultimately, I think it might be difficult to determine what is enough to constitute a checkmark.

Valid points, and ones I'd considered. I just wanted to put it out there and see what reactions anyone might have.

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant (Post 11802790)
Do we need an expansion in range, an elimination of that portion, which is simultaneously iconic and arbitrary, or should I keep it the way that it is? This is an issue that I really go back and forth on and I worry that it's becoming a bloated part of the checklist. Every other part encourages exploration, the spine numbers don't really do that.

I think the spine numbers do encourage exploration. They draw us to 16 different specific pools of 50 films. I don't think it's terribly bloated at present, particularly since we allow for duplication throughout the checklist.

As promised, more thoughts...

I was also just now reviewing the Decades breakdown on Criterion.com. Here's where it stands at present:

1920s (17)
1930s (97)
1940s (113)
1950s (183)
1960s (269)
1970s (138)
1980s (106)
1990s (72)
2000s (41)
2010s (13)

We might consider consolidating 1920s with the 1930s, at least until such time as a substantial number of 20s films are added. Ditto the 00s and 10s, which combine to give us a paltry 44 options this year.

Additionally, I was looking at the Brands section, which at present includes:

Criterion (736)
Eclipse (193)
Essential Art House (64)
Other (58)

At present, we have
--- an Eclipse title -
--- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion

as checklist items, but if we add Essential Art House, Other and

--- the LaserDisc library (308),

then that creates five Brands which could make for a formal sub-section. The Criterion Collection on Hulu could be a sixth Brand, giving participants a choice of five of the six.

I also propose eliminating

--- Watch a film which won an Academy Award -

since Oscar Winning is one of the formal Themes from which we can choose.

and rewording

--- Watch films in at least five languages.

to become

--- Watch films from at least five countries

At present, there is at least one film in The Criterion Collection from 32 different countries. (Technically, 31 but they count Germany's 24 films separate from West Germany's 1. Whatever.)

Travis McClain 08-18-13 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane (Post 11802825)
Travis, I really like your list and have only seen eleven of the twenty films. I've got some catching up to do! While I have viewed many a list on Criterion.com, I've never created one. You've inspired me to give it a try!

Woot! Just a few hours into the discussion thread and someone is already inspired to do something new! That's a good omen, right? :)

I would vote for expanding the range, perhaps to cover 100 titles.
That'd bring it down to seven check marks this year:

--- 001-100
--- 101-200
--- 201-300
--- 301-400
--- 401-500
--- 501-600
--- 601-681

I'd be down with that, especially if we consider my aforementioned sub-section proposals. I do feel that the spine number is such a uniquely Criterion thing that it ought to be represented in the checklist somehow, and I also do believe it does promote exploration.

Dimension X 08-18-13 11:02 PM

I thought it was a requirement that we watch everything on a disc (or discs). That had some effect on what I've watched during past challenges. Guess I need to go back a read the rules again.

Travis McClain 08-18-13 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 11802859)
I thought it was a requirement that we watch everything on a disc (or discs). That had some effect on what I've watched during past challenges. Guess I need to go back a read the rules again.

Oh, noes! What we've said is that we encourage participants to take the time and really explore a film's bonus content as part of the celebration of Criterion, rather than try to up the movie watch count, but it's not at all mandatory!*

*Except that one check mark for watching every bit of content on a disc.

Dimension X 08-18-13 11:16 PM

I was beginning to think I hadn't seen any of these, but turns out I've seen 12. I have, or can easily get my hands on a few of those I haven't seen, so I might just give 'em a look-see.

Originally Posted by Travis McClain (Post 11802863)
Oh, noes! What we've said is that we encourage participants to take the time and really explore a film's bonus content as part of the celebration of Criterion, rather than try to up the movie watch count, but it's not at all mandatory!*

*Except that one check mark for watching every bit of content on a disc.

Well, now I feel like I wasted my time that time when I looked for my unwatched Criterion with the fewest extras. :lol: That's good to know. Plus now I don't have to feel like I'm cheating when I watch films I've recorded off TCM or non-Criterion versions of films.

Travis McClain 08-18-13 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 11802872)
I was beginning to think I hadn't seen any of these, but turns out I've seen 12. I have, or can easily get my hands on a few of those I haven't seen, so I might just give 'em a look-see.

I'm actually scouring Criterion's Top Ten lists right now. I'd really like to watch all of someone's Top Ten list. The two chief problems are 1) availability and 2) repeat viewings. For instance, I just looked at Diablo Cody's Top Ten. Between HuluPlus and the library, I have access to six of the ten movies on her list, leaving me having to scramble to find the other four. I've also already seen four of the films on her list, including two of the four that aren't presently available to me. Can I get hold of four movies throughout the month? Do I want to re-watch four movies throughout the month? Probably no to both.

Well, now I feel like I wasted my time that time when I looked for my unwatched Criterion with the fewest extras. :lol: That's good to know. Plus now I don't have to feel like I'm cheating when I watch films I've recorded off TCM or non-Criterion versions of films.
This should prove to be a much more enjoyable challenge for you now, I would imagine!

Travis McClain 08-19-13 12:57 AM

FINALLY! I found a Top Ten list I should be able to actually complete! Jaime Hernandez's Top 10 includes eight films streaming on HuluPlus. Bicycle Thieves, I can get on DVD from my local library. That leaves me with just Nights of Cabiria to locate. I'll place an Inter-Library Loan request for that tomorrow and hope that they can find it for me.

shadokitty 08-19-13 08:12 AM

I own a few Criterions, and movies that have been released as Criterions, so I will be participating. There are also the occasional movie I see on tv now and then, as I have seen Videodrome listed on tv a few times lately.

Sondheim 08-19-13 09:35 AM

My favorite challenge coming right at the beginning of my favorite season of the year. I've been looking forward to this since... Well, last October.

I already have a huge "Watchlist" put together - though, as always, I'll probably only end up watching a small percentage of it. One of my goals this time around is to watch a few of the titles that are exclusive to Hulu.

Dr RosenRosen 08-19-13 09:44 AM

Gives me an excuse to watch my LD Criterion of Citizen Kane. :)

davidh777 08-19-13 11:47 AM

I've only seen eight of the titles on Travis' list. :sad:

pacaway 08-19-13 12:14 PM

I've seen many Criterions, but I'm only at 7 on the Noob list.

Trevor 08-19-13 07:05 PM

I'm anxious for September. I don't think I've watched a Criterion film in the past year, and really need some non-fluff to watch.

mrcellophane 08-19-13 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 11803902)
I'm anxious for September. I don't think I've watched a Criterion film in the past year, and really need some non-fluff to watch.

I know what you mean! I've been researching are reading about all of these awesome, critically-acclaimed films... and then watching He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, which is pretty good but definitely not on par with Bergman or Kurosawa films. However, I did watch Solaris and Beauty and the Beast for the sci-fi/fantasy challenge so I recently got a Criterion fix.

Inspired by Travis's awesome "noob" list, I decided to put one of my own together: Best Laid Plans, Gone Awry. I really like the list feature on Criterion's website, and I've been reading quite a few of them!

Dimension X 08-20-13 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane (Post 11803928)
Inspired by Travis's awesome "noob" list, I decided to put one of my own together: Best Laid Plans, Gone Awry. I really like the list feature on Criterion's website, and I've been reading quite a few of them!

I've seen four of those. I've never gotten around to watching my copies of Throne of Blood or The Royal Tenenbaums so maybe I'll make that six.

Travis McClain 08-20-13 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 11803308)
I've only seen eight of the titles on Travis' list. :sad:

No worries! My original title was actually "The Criterion Collection for People Who Are Afraid of Film Snobbery". It's meant more as a list of starting places for fans of mainstream movies who, like me, might be intimidated by The Criterion Collection and the sense of elitism surrounding it.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane (Post 11803928)

Nice list! I've only seen three. I really enjoyed two of them: The Only Son and Kind Hearts and Coronets, which almost made my own list. - The third was The Royal Tenenbaums. I had a hard time really getting into that one for some reason. The cast was great, and I liked the feel of the movie, but I just wasn't engaged by it much.

CardiffGiant 08-20-13 03:37 PM

General comments first: I'm glad to see so much early enthusiasm for the challenge. Last year proved difficult for significant watching for me, but I plan to get through a large portion of my unwatched pile this year.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane (Post 11802825)
I would vote for expanding the range, perhaps to cover 100 titles. I too had to alphabetize my Criterion titles after my collection grew too large.

Last year I was thinking of shrinking it to a range of 60, but I believe it was Trevor who (rightly) said that it would be a bit confusing like that. So, yeah, it's probably 50 or 100 for a range.

Originally Posted by Travis McClain (Post 11802832)
I think the spine numbers do encourage exploration. They draw us to 16 different specific pools of 50 films. I don't think it's terribly bloated at present, particularly since we allow for duplication throughout the checklist.

If there was any kind of order to the spine numbers besides when the films were originally released by Criterion, then I might agree. The do denote a place in time when the titles were originally released, but even a purist could say that there were different spine numbers in the LD days and these represent a change. I don't think it matters much either way, I'd just like to encourage as much checklist participation as possible. I think if the goal is depth, rather than breadth, then we shouldn't have 16 spine number checks and only a few of the others. That said, I completely understand, and agree with, the perspective that wants to celebrate the spine numbers.

I was also just now reviewing the Decades breakdown on Criterion.com. Here's where it stands at present:

We might consider consolidating 1920s with the 1930s, at least until such time as a substantial number of 20s films are added. Ditto the 00s and 10s, which combine to give us a paltry 44 options this year.

I had this idea last year, more with the 2010s than with the 1920s (although, I may have had that thought as well. It was shot down pretty handily (IIRC) and we agreed to make 2010s optional. I think your idea is a good one...the 1920s might not need it, but we can see what the list looks like when we start to finalize things.

Additionally, I was looking at the Brands section, which at present includes:
as checklist items, but if we add Essential Art House, Other...

then that creates five Brands which could make for a formal sub-section. The Criterion Collection on Hulu could be a sixth Brand, giving participants a choice of five of the six.

I think the problem with most of those is that they are redundant to the collection itself. Many of the titles are on Hulu, DVD, BD, etc. For "other" we'd essentially be telling people to watch a Kurosawa or Merch-Ivory film and I'm guessing many participants would just watch The Red Balloon or White Mane and be done with it. I think the Essential Art House is an interesting suggestion because it has variety and a purpose behind it; however, it also provides redundancy as they are essentially bare bones releases of the mainstream Criterion titles.

I'm wondering if we couldn't expand by dealing with supplements a bit more, if we want that to be the aim of the challenge. Or, if we simply keep the spine numbers as they are and table this for next year's challenge.

I also propose eliminating

--- Watch a film which won an Academy Award -

since Oscar Winning is one of the formal Themes from which we can choose.

Yeah, I think if we add Themes, then this ends up leaving.

and rewording

--- Watch films in at least five languages.

to become

--- Watch films from at least five countries

At present, there is at least one film in The Criterion Collection from 32 different countries. (Technically, 31 but they count Germany's 24 films separate from West Germany's 1. Whatever.)

I understand the sentiment here because I had the same thought years ago, but if we change it to Country of Origin, then a person could watch zero foreign language films and still complete the checklist. Unless we wanted to expand the number beyond 5. I think a checklist should require the viewing of films in languages other than English.

I do think we need to add, if we are going to subtract, I'm just not sure what the best way to do that is.

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 11802859)

Yikes! Yeah, you don't have to watch everything on the disc. I've already pared down some of the language this year and I intend to streamline some more of it for clarity.

Originally Posted by Travis McClain (Post 11802878)
I'm actually scouring Criterion's Top Ten lists right now...

I've always thought of incorporating this into the checklist, but it's so difficult for the average person to have access to enough films to power through a checklist; however, I feel that it would be a great "extra credit" item and lifelong Criterion Challenge bragging rights.

Originally Posted by Sondheim (Post 11803160)
My favorite challenge coming right at the beginning of my favorite season of the year. I've been looking forward to this since... Well, last October.

I already have a huge "Watchlist" put together - though, as always, I'll probably only end up watching a small percentage of it. One of my goals this time around is to watch a few of the titles that are exclusive to Hulu.

I've also been putting a "Watchlist" together (and I have a few sitting on the DVR). Putting the list together is one of my favorite parts of the challenge.

CardiffGiant 08-20-13 03:39 PM

In addition to my replies...I'm going to poke around and see if there might be some other way to introduce more subcategories into the list and pare down the spine numbers. I'll do a little tinkering and see what I can find. In the meantime, suggestions are always welcome.

Travis McClain 08-20-13 04:21 PM

I found several Criterion films available to rent digitally from Amazon and Vudu late last night, incidentally. Most titles were available from both, but there were some available only from one or the other. Something to think about, especially for anyone with any credit on either site.