DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs are dead (according to Bowflex)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 03:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

0:41

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jjo8vQuKlio?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jjo8vQuKlio?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 06-14-13, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: DVDs are dead (according to Bowflex)

Yeah, all of the commercial's claims are correct and verifiable! Also, I'm going to add "needs to be able to crush DVDs with single, bare hand" to the list of attributes I'm looking for in a boyfriend.
Old 06-14-13, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Bowflex
Old 06-14-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I only trust DVD news from NordicFlex
Old 06-15-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Right, because I want to watch stuff on my fucking PHONE instead. Always wondered who actually buys stuff from infomercials anyways? (And yes, I know this isn't really an infomercial but I see stuff like this advertised on them a lot.)
Old 06-15-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

They must have the same mind set as Apple that something that still sells in the millions is somehow dead and just the same as floppies.
Old 06-15-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
They must have the same mind set as Apple that something that still sells in the millions is somehow dead and just the same as floppies.
Or they figure they can just save money by getting people a non-physical app that doesn't require shipping and packaging costs. I think there's a little overthinking going on in this thread.
Old 06-16-13, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Or they figure they can just save money by getting people a non-physical app that doesn't require shipping and packaging costs. I think there's a little overthinking going on in this thread.
Over thinking? Likely.

On a personal level I would not care about having a DVD for such a thing, (anything that is showing me how to do something) just odd how many people (companies) keep acting like media is dead even though it is still used in the millions.
Old 06-16-13, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Watching stuff on the phone is one thing, but watching how to do exercises? (assuming that's what it is) How incredibly inconvenient. I love smartphones and cool apps but sometimes people should step back and thing, "Is a smartphone app really the best way to perform this function?"

I don't use it anymore, but I enjoyed the how-to DVD for my Tony Little machine (bought from a neighbor). He is/was a frighteningly upbeat guy. (Tony Little, not the neighbor.)

I own a couple things that were 'as seen on tv' (in addition to the Gazelle), and I did actually order something from an infomercial once.

Bought this from Walmart, in their 'as seen on tv' section:

http://www.asseenontv.com/pasta-boat...l.php?p=296753
Actually bought four of them - two for me (I use it probably 3-5 times a week), and gave two away as gifts.

Bought this actually from the infomercial:

A small grill that used newspaper as the fuel. I was in college at the time, so A) I was stupid and B) there were always newspapers to grab. It technically worked, but there were a few minor quibbles - newsprint makes your hands all dirty and it also 'floats' when it burns so the underside of the burgers would have little bits of newspaper in them.
Old 06-17-13, 07:52 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Watching stuff on the phone is one thing, but watching how to do exercises? (assuming that's what it is) How incredibly inconvenient. I love smartphones and cool apps but sometimes people should step back and thing, "Is a smartphone app really the best way to perform this function?"

I don't use it anymore, but I enjoyed the how-to DVD for my Tony Little machine (bought from a neighbor). He is/was a frighteningly upbeat guy. (Tony Little, not the neighbor.)

I own a couple things that were 'as seen on tv' (in addition to the Gazelle), and I did actually order something from an infomercial once.

Bought this from Walmart, in their 'as seen on tv' section:

http://www.asseenontv.com/pasta-boat...l.php?p=296753
Actually bought four of them - two for me (I use it probably 3-5 times a week), and gave two away as gifts.

Bought this actually from the infomercial:

A small grill that used newspaper as the fuel. I was in college at the time, so A) I was stupid and B) there were always newspapers to grab. It technically worked, but there were a few minor quibbles - newsprint makes your hands all dirty and it also 'floats' when it burns so the underside of the burgers would have little bits of newspaper in them.
I see you learned your lesson, NEVER buy anything that's offered on an Infomercial. I once bought a gadget that was supposed to make washing my Pickup easier. Not only did the POS never work properly, but I found myself BOMBARDED with calls from Telemarketers. I had to change my Phone Number to get away from them!
Old 06-17-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

How much do they nail you for the S&H of the "second one free" that you don't really want?
Old 06-17-13, 08:15 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

I only got one and with shipping it set me back $9.99. All I can say is Been There, Done That, Never Again.

BTW I purchased this thing during the Summer, Come November they began aggressively advertising it saying "It makes a Great Xmas Gift". One of the TV Station's Local News Had a Report on it, a little something they called 'Xmas Present or Lump of Coal". Guess which one they labeled it!
Old 06-17-13, 09:10 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Well, if Bowflex says it, it must be true...
Old 06-23-13, 02:02 AM

I really wish I could crush discs like that.
Most impressive.
Old 09-12-13, 04:20 PM
Cool New Member

Lmao what