Subscriptions Services Destroying DVD/Bluray Market

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Subscriptions Services Destroying DVD/Bluray Market

Old 05-09-13, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Subscriptions Services Destroying DVD/Bluray Market

Originally Posted by dvdshonna View Post
I believe you are on the money.

The typical asking price for used DVDs in every city on craigslist is $2. If you follow how many of those titles are relisted for weeks/months with no buyers you will see demand has collapsed for older titles.

If you want to try a "reality check" ...try listing some unwanted DVD titles for $1.00 each on craigs. The lack of response may surprise you.
Who the hell wants to drive to a stranger's house to buy a DVD for a dollar? Put them out at a garage sale for a dollar a piece and they will sell.
Old 05-10-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be fair, the ones that are listed cheap are the stuff that lots of people already have or you can already buy cheap elsewhere.

The opposite of the reality check is look at old titles put out by Twilight Time. NOTLD, Fright Night, Christine are all films around a couple decades old but sell for insane prices one craigslist and ebay.
Old 05-10-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts

Reason being those were put out in a limited quantity.
Old 05-10-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

At least we will always have torrents... Those who want physical media will be 'forced' to download and burn the films which the streaming services / studios choose in their infinite wisdom not to renew. Getting them back at their game, so to speak.

That's not a perfect solution, but it will work in a pinch.
Old 05-10-13, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"1984" (Richard Burton) is OOP and hard to find. $42.00 (new) $18.00 (used) on Amazon. You can stream it for free with Amazon's subscription service.

I'll bet fewer people are willing to pay a premium price for "hard to find" DVDs, when they're available for streaming from subscription services.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 05-11-13 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-10-13, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"1984" (Richard Burton) is OOP and hard to find. $42.00 (new) $18.00 (used) on Amazon. You can stream it for free with Amazon's subscription service.

I'll bet fewer people are willing to pay a premium price for "hard to find" DVDs, when they're available for streaming.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/te...azon.html?_r=0

Not when things like this happen to people.

I think it's CinemaNow, but I have a few movies I "own" at one of those streaming sites. A few of my movies stopped being available for streaming a few months after I got them.

Those few people that signed up with Yahoo's music service were about to get completely boned when it was shutting down. They said that everyone would lose all their purchases. After an outcry, a solution was given to them but it's still not guaranteed it will always remain for them.

The more that sort of stuff happens to people, which it's already happening before it's close to taking over, more and more will either stick with physical media or use them jointly. They aren't going to want to put all their eggs in the streaming basket and lose it all.
Old 05-10-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/te...azon.html?_r=0

Not when things like this happen to people.

I think it's CinemaNow, but I have a few movies I "own" at one of those streaming sites. A few of my movies stopped being available for streaming a few months after I got them.

Those few people that signed up with Yahoo's music service were about to get completely boned when it was shutting down. They said that everyone would lose all their purchases. After an outcry, a solution was given to them but it's still not guaranteed it will always remain for them.

The more that sort of stuff happens to people, which it's already happening before it's close to taking over, more and more will either stick with physical media or use them jointly. They aren't going to want to put all their eggs in the streaming basket and lose it all.
I use that exact example frequently when telling people why I'll *never* "own" an eBook or any streaming/cloud based purchase unless it comes *free* with a physical copy. Even so I've never redeemed one of those "free" digital copies and have no intention of doing so. I don't trust any of these "services" as far as I can throw a unwadded up Kleenex.
Old 05-10-13, 08:22 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

1984 is only 18.00 from marketplace sellers "new" plus shipping. The amazon "new" fulfilled price is 40 dollars.
The ones who use amazon fulfilled always overcharge over other sellers. The sell through rank on amazon is actually robust. Check the sales rank in the 6,000 range.
1984 is actually on the rerelease schedule as a double feature from TGG.
Old 05-10-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts

Never bought 1984 (the movie, not the book) on DVD because I heard they used an alternate version without the Eurythmics music.
Old 05-11-13, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by g View Post
1984 is only 18.00 from marketplace sellers "new" plus shipping. The amazon "new" fulfilled price is 40 dollars.
The ones who use amazon fulfilled always overcharge over other sellers. The sell through rank on amazon is actually robust. Check the sales rank in the 6,000 range.
1984 is actually on the rerelease schedule as a double feature from TGG.
You are correct. I was quoting the price range.

Personally ...I would be less inclined to pay a premium price for any title that is available for streaming (monthly subscriptions).

If there are 28 million netflix subscribers that can stream it ...that's a lot fewer people that are likely to buy it from me.

And a lot fewer people who will buy a "digital copy" for $9.99, or rent it for $2.99

I believe the studios have really screwed themselves. Consumers accustomed to $7.98/mo streaming and ISPs who control the amount and cost of distribution. ISPs like the cable companies, who are losing business due to cheap monthly streaming (netflix, hulu, and amazon).

Last edited by dvdshonna; 05-12-13 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 06:27 PM

DVDs Are Dying, and There's Worse News Ahead for Hollywood

Unfortunately, outside of Netflix's digital smorgasbord, some of tech's biggest companies have struggled to market piecemeal premium streams and outright downloads.

Film buffs aren't buying DVDs, Blu-rays, or digital downloads.

What's the only thing that could make things worse for Hollywood? What would happen if you stopped going to the local multiplex?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/02/...for-hollywood/

--
Its all about the price structure. With $1.25 redbox rentals, DVD/Bluray new releases will sell at $5.00 . Older releases at $3.00 . The studios are having trouble accepting reality. Nothing wrong with the format. Their product is overpriced.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 05-13-13 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is redbox going to raise rental prices?
Old 05-14-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Its all about the price structure. With $1.25 redbox rentals, DVD/Bluray new releases will sell at $5.00 . Older releases at $3.00 . The studios are having trouble accepting reality. Nothing wrong with the format. Their product is overpriced.
Old 05-14-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started getting VHS tapes back in the 80's & I switched DVDs when they were first released but now if it's not on Netflix, Amazon, or one of the 5-6 On Demand channels we'll just find something else to watch instead of pulling out a DVD. I have somewhere between 15,000-20,000 disc of movies, wrestling, and kids titles but with streaming being so easy it just seems like a hassle to have to actually put a disc in the DVD player. It's kind of sad but with 4 kids and limited time to watch anything it's just the way it is.

The other day when I found out Ray Harryhausen passed away the first thing I did was go onto Netflix & Amazon to see if they had any of his movies streaming and when they didn't I watched something else even though I own all of his movies and a bunch of documentaries.
Old 05-14-13, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by JCWBobC View Post
.....but now if it's not on Netflix, Amazon, or one of the 5-6 On Demand channels we'll just find something else to watch instead of pulling out a DVD. I have somewhere between 15,000-20,000 disc of movies, wrestling, and kids titles but with streaming being so easy it just seems like a hassle to have to actually put a disc in the DVD player....
JCW; You should sell your discs and help feed the poor. ...I'm poor. Please send dvds, food, and money to me. Thank you.
Old 05-14-13, 02:35 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

^^
Old 05-15-13, 07:46 PM
Banned

dvds and blu-rays aren't going anywhere. Not all movies are going to be able to be streamed. If they're on a service, it's only for a set amount of time. They won't always be there....like they will be if you actually have the movie in your hands. This is especially true if you're into obscure cult movies that most mainstream services wouldn't carry.
Old 05-16-13, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

--
The music industry hasn't accepted this reality for the last 15 years. They still continue to way overprice new and catalog releases. At least the studios have accepted ultra cheap catalog titles...something the music industry still has not done.
Old 05-16-13, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
The music industry hasn't accepted this reality for the last 15 years. They still continue to way overprice new and catalog releases. At least the studios have accepted ultra cheap catalog titles...something the music industry still has not done.
The music industry is one of the best examples of what happens when your product is overpriced.

I'm a big fan of 60's thru 90's music. I havn't spent a nickel on music in the last decade.

Tons of new DVD releases I would purchase for $5.00, but wouldn't even consider at $10.00 . ....$15.00 for 90+% of new releases is laughable.

How many times does redbox rent the same disc for $1.25. Depending on the title, 25% to 50% of those rentals could be $5.00 sales for the studios.

I can understand a premium price for movies that cost 100 million+ to produce, but I don't believe $1.25 rentals or $7.99/mo streaming is going to solve the problem. And I don't believe digtal purchases will ever take off (with any age group).
Old 05-16-13, 04:53 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

The music industry is one of the best examples of what happens when your product is overpriced.

I'm a big fan of 60's thru 90's music. I havn't spent a nickel on music in the last decade.

Tons of new DVD releases I would purchase for $5.00, but wouldn't even consider at $10.00 . ....$15.00 for 90+% of new releases is laughable.

How many times does redbox rent the same disc for $1.25. Depending on the title, 25% to 50% of those rentals could be $5.00 sales for the studios.

I can understand a premium price for movies that cost 100 million+ to produce, but I don't believe $1.25 rentals or $7.99/mo streaming is going to solve the problem. And I don't believe digtal purchases will ever take off (with any age group).
I just wait until a Title of Set reaches the "Bargain Bin" before I make a purchase. Then there's the "National Day of Insanity" (November 29 this year) where you can find DVDs of your favorite Shows and Movies marked down to absurd prices as "Doorbusters" If you don't wish to risk life and limb The Big River usually price-matches any of the titles the B&M stores do during this week.

Last but not least are the Yard Sales people have each weekend. I always find a few bargains, two years ago I picked up four of the entire Star Trek series at one such sale, I haggled the price down to $100.00, which is at least a Kilobuck cheaper than any store will charge you.
Old 05-16-13, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a price point where people don't buy as much when it's too low because then they start seeing the product as not having much of a value.

I've passed the point where I buy something just because it's cheap. It's easy to throw away money like that on stuff you normally wouldn't buy but then do just because of the price, especially if one is trying to save money.

$5 would also completely destroy the 3rd party market and amazon, ebay, and other places would start losing tons of money skimming off the purchases from those sellers because it wouldn't be worth selling movies just to make a few cents.
Old 05-16-13, 06:45 PM

Regulus; I don't make it around to yard sales too often, but I do pretty well buying and selling with craigslist.

The last new release I bought (shrink wrapped) was "Apocalypto". I believe that was about 7 years ago. And I'm a big movie fan. I love movies and I've spent a total of $15.00 in the last 10 years on new movies.
Old 05-16-13, 07:00 PM

There's a price point where people don't buy as much when it's too low because then they start seeing the product as not having much of a value. ........
I think that only applies to art. $5.00 for a painting of dogs playing poker would be like blowing $5.00 on "junk".

The entertainment business is different. ....$5.00 spent on a new release I've never seen, is worth the "risk". If I like the movie, I hang on to it. If I don't like the movie, I can sell it off on craigslist.

No big loss, and there is usually some entertainment value even for the ones I sell off. How many people worry about bad movies that rented from redbox? They just return it and rent some more.

Those $1.50 rentals could be $5.00 sales for the studios.

$15.00 for new releases is a different ball game. A game most consumers don't want to play.
Old 05-16-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that only applies to art. $5.00 for a painting of dogs playing poker would be like blowing $5.00 on "junk".

The entertainment business is different.
No it also applies to entertainment. As an example, there's a bunch of articles out there regarding pricing if you're a small time gaming company, or just someone doing apps, cheap PC games, etc. You have to find the right price point between people seeing it as overpriced and people seeing it as junk by being priced too low.

$15.00 for new releases is a different ball game. A game most consumers don't want to play.
Except they have been playing this game on movies for well over a decade, including when VHS became reasonable and wasn't priced at a couple hundred for each movie. They still continue to buy new releases for over $15 and one can just look at the "what dvd/blu-ray are you buying next week" type threads to see that people are buying stuff at those prices. They are making a choice to spend much more than $5 on something they could instead just rent from redbox for $1.50.

Get the people buying movies to actually stop buying them and renting them instead and you think the new prices will drop? No. They'll just give redbox and other similar places a choice. You have a rental window before you can rent out our titles or we won't make any deals with you and you'll start paying full prices for all your titles. We've already seen it with Netflix.

Think rental places can work around that? Let's look at the recent law put into place that won't let a car manufacturer sell straight to the consumer. Nope, you have to go through a middleman. The movie industry is large enough to be able to sway laws in their favor as they've been doing all this time.

It's going to be a long time and some big things would have to happen before they decide to lower prices to something so cheap. We'd probably be having some sort of economic disaster if this happened.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 05-16-13 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-16-13, 08:12 PM

...... You have to find the right price point between people seeing it as overpriced and people seeing it as junk by being priced too low........
Judging by the decline in sales, and decline at the theatres, I assume people see discs and movie tickets as overpriced (relative to redbox rentals and streaming movies from netflix).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.