Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Subscriptions Services Destroying DVD/Bluray Market

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-25-13, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at a loss as to why the studios would make so many of their titles available on Netflix, Amazon Prime etc., for $7.99 month. It seems like suicide (business wise).

How many consumers would want to pay $10 or even $5 for a DVD when they can choose from 14,000 titles (amazon) for $6.59/month ($79/yr).

I see the download price to rent a single title is $2.99 (overpriced), but the price for subscription services seem like the studios are declaring their older titles are next to worthless.

I posted a previous thread about the decline of DVD sales when I had no idea how many titles were available from services like Netflix (I assumed it was like 300+ titles per month)

No idea they were offering 13,000 to 14,000 titles for $7.99/mo I am STUNNED. I can't imagine paying more than $1 for another use DVD again. ..And that would be rare.
Old 04-25-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Subscriptions Services Destroying DVD/Bluray Market

And now you understand why the market for physical media is quickly disappearing. Teenagers of today will likely never develop the large home media libraries (unless it was pirated from torrents) when they become adults in society.
Old 04-25-13, 09:30 PM

Phantom; This was definitely one of my WTF? moments. Total disbelief. I see movies like Cool Hand Luke, Once Upon A Time In America, Dances With Wolves, Chinatown, and thousands more, etc. etc. etc. available for viewing for $7.99 month.

Do I want to buy one DVD for $7.99 or do I want to choose from thousands for $7.99? I think I've been getting ripped off at Redbox.
Old 04-25-13, 09:50 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They are getting big checks for the streaming rights. Paramount and others got huge deals especially when it was an exclusive deal.

I personally dislike the streaming experience and only kept disks at netflix when they changed the pricing structure.
Old 04-25-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ii think i pay 18-20 dollars a month for streaming services, between netflix, hulu, and now Synapse(which i just started doing but for some of the films that are on there for $5 a month, so far its pretty cool). I don't really count what i pay for Amazon Prime since that's once a year payment and I started doing that for the free 2 day shipping/cheaper next day shipping. I use it as a replacement for rental purposes. I still have the 1 disc out a month through netflix so i can still get dvds that way, but if it wasn't for streaming through all those services I would not have discovered a lot of great tv shows or seen a lot of movies I've seen. I watched "Ink" probably 20 times on netflix and then finally bought the blu-ray. If it wasn't for amazon prime i wouldn't own all 10 seasons of Red Vs. Blue. The only download I've paid full price on is Wreck it Ralph and that was just because it was available 2-3 weeks earlier and I did buy it on Blu-ray the day it came out.
I understand how it maybe hurting physical media sales because of the convenience and lower cost, and a lot of people may not know how much better quality blu-ray is than streaming. I know i really didn't pay that much attention until i watched one of the seasons of RVB on dvd then watched the same one that night on Amazon and the differences were quite noticeable, and again that was dvd not blu-ray.
I may be in the minority but in my case streaming is helping the dvd/blu-ray market just because i can't afford to blind buy the way i used to when i first purchased a dvd player, so i'm watching more movies which leads me to go out and buy more dvds.
Old 04-25-13, 10:06 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Don't let the inflated numbers fool you. Amazon claims around 15,000 titles. But the actual number of movies is closer to 2,000. They pad the numbers by counting each video (including TV show episodes) as one title. Netflix does the same thing. Here's more info:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...g-numbers.html

Subscription services are awesome if you're just looking for something to watch. There's a lot of great stuff to choose from. But it's not that useful if you want to watch a specific title. I'd say probably 80% of the time the particular movie I want isn't available for streaming on Netflix or Amazon.
Old 04-25-13, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by g
They are getting big checks for the streaming rights. Paramount and others got huge deals especially when it was an exclusive deal.
I'm sure the studios know the movie business, better than I do. Still can't imagine how 14,000 titles available for rent @ $7.99/month is more profitable than selling DVDs for $5.00 each or even less.

If I watch one movie per day, that's 30 movies for $7.99. About 25¢ per movie. It seems like the studios would be better off selling DVDs in cardboard sleeves for $1.00 each.

Or maybe they should put out movie packs like Mill Creeks' 50 movie public domain packs for $19.98 It would atleast maintain the perception that these older titles are not totally worthless.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 04-25-13 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-25-13, 11:14 PM
g

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_677193.html

Netflix Inc. will pay nearly $1 billion during the next five years for the online streaming rights to movies from Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM
This deal was signed in 2010. This is an example of the money involved.

I personally don't find the content worthless because it is streaming. It is a different experience that is not worth as much to me as physical media. The titles available change all the time as well.
As you can see they are having a hard time turning down money when it only affects streaming rights.
I think it affects cable and sat. tv as much or more.

Last edited by g; 04-25-13 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 01:07 AM

g; I overstated when I said totally worthless. When Redbox started renting DVDs for $1.00, it seemed like DVDs were overpriced (purchase price).

When I see DVDs available for streaming at pennies on the dollar, DVDs seem overpriced even at $5.00

I buy and sell used DVDs in quantity. I've seen the price collapse in the last 3 years to the point where I won't pay more than 50 cents for most DVDs in bulk. I won't touch blurays.

After hearing about the 12th person state, "I don't need these DVDs any more. I have netflix", I knew something was wrong with the market for DVDs. People are dumping their collections.
Old 04-26-13, 01:24 AM
g

I don't think Netflix is completely responsible for the drop in prices. A bigger issue is the studios have been dumping a huge amount of their products at bargain basement prices as remainders to places like oldies.com, ollies, big lots, and wholesalers who sell on ebay and amazon. The studios have greatly undercut the prices themselves.

Last edited by g; 04-26-13 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-26-13, 01:51 AM

g; I agree. It's not just netflix. The middle class is collapsing/collapsed. The U.S. is becomming a 3rd world country. People are looking for cheap entertainment. Redbox and netflix are cheap.
Old 04-26-13, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

After hearing about the 12th person state, "I don't need these DVDs any more. I have netflix", I knew something was wrong with the market for DVDs. People are dumping their collections.
I just want to smack people who say things like that. Wait til those movies get taken OFF Netflix, then let's see who doesn't need the DVDs! While the quality of Netflix has admittedly been improving (I remember how pathetic it was when they started), it certainly can't match a Blu-Ray disc or even a DVD in some cases. (More people I want to smack are those who get an Ultraviolet code with a Blu-Ray, then proclaim "I don't even need the disc- I get it in HD on Vudu!")

Don't know what to say to those who sell used DVDs though- I've never bought ANY used media just for the purpose of saving money, as I'm an obsessive collector and new copies can usually be found for not much more, or sometimes even LESS than what used copies sell for.
Old 04-26-13, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I just want to smack people who say things like that. Wait til those movies get taken OFF Netflix, then let's see who doesn't need the DVDs! While the quality of Netflix has admittedly been improving (I remember how pathetic it was when they started), it certainly can't match a Blu-Ray disc or even a DVD in some cases.
I don't believe they are referring to the specific titles they are selling off. They are talking about the cheaper alternative of streaming on netflix for $7.99/month instead of purchasing DVDs.

"I don't need these DVDs anymore. I have netflix". I assume they are claiming netflix provides all the entertainment they need or have time to watch for $7.99 month.

Buying DVDs in bulk lots, I have no need for streaming but I believe it is contributing (atleast partially) to the decline/collapse in prices.
Old 04-26-13, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Subscription services are awesome if you're just looking for something to watch. There's a lot of great stuff to choose from. But it's not that useful if you want to watch a specific title. I'd say probably 80% of the time the particular movie I want isn't available for streaming on Netflix or Amazon.
Originally Posted by g
I personally dislike the streaming experience and only kept disks at netflix when they changed the pricing structure.
This and this. I went with disc-only because there wasn't enough on streaming that I wanted to watch. I have plenty in my collection to just watch so when I rent it's because I have something particular in mind.

That said, I do use Amazon Prime for TV shows that I want to catch up on. My favorite network show is The Good Wife, and I was going to get a back season or two until I realized it was free on Prime. I'd like to support the show, but...

Originally Posted by dvdshonna
g; I overstated when I said totally worthless. When Redbox started renting DVDs for $1.00, it seemed like DVDs were overpriced (purchase price).
Studios HATED when Redbox set a movie's value at $1.

Do I want to buy one DVD for $7.99 or do I want to choose from thousands for $7.99? I think I've been getting ripped off at Redbox.
There are a couple distinguishing points, though. Redbox tends to deal mostly in new releases, most of which aren't available with Netflix streaming. And that's another reason I stuck with Netflix physical discs. A number of people I've talked to don't understand that difference between catalog and new release.

Catalog: Netflix streaming, Amazon Prime
New releases: Netflix discs, Amazon paid VOD, Redbox kiosks

(I added "kiosks" because I know Redbox now has streaming, but I was looking at the selection with a friend and it was pretty meager.)
Old 04-26-13, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
And now you understand why the market for physical media is quickly disappearing. Teenagers of today will likely never develop the large home media libraries (unless it was pirated from torrents) when they become adults in society.
Part of the issue is that people just don't collect like they used to. CD collections were replaced by MP3s, and now people stream Pandora etc. All-you-can-eat streaming is really becoming the norm.

I just want to smack people who say things like that. Wait til those movies get taken OFF Netflix, then let's see who doesn't need the DVDs!
This is another thing people don't understand. I made the example of The Good Wife earlier, but I'm aware that it may not always be available on Prime, and if I really want to own it as part of my collection, I'll be safer if I actually buy it. But the people who just "want something to watch" may not care. Or what if a service goes out of business? In the comics forum, we've been talking about building up a digital collection through Comixology, but that's not guaranteed to always be there. Then what happens to your collection?
Old 04-26-13, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

...After hearing about the 12th person state, "I don't need these DVDs any more. I have netflix", I knew something was wrong with the market for DVDs. People are dumping their collections.
I just want to smack people who say things like that. Wait til those movies get taken OFF Netflix, then let's see who doesn't need the DVDs! ...
Exactly, Alan! But then those are the same people who've bought into iTunes and other services for music delivered on MP3. They don't know or care about the loss of quality and think they're getting a bargain. They are also not typically a collector and count their collections in the dozens rather than thousands.

Streaming services can serve as a good replacement for overpriced cable/satellite services and/or to easily sample titles you are interested in to determine if a physical copy purchase is warranted. I can see dumping either for a couple of the "better" streaming services but *not* as a physical media replacement. None of the streaming services will ever be able to replace a large personal collection of titles. The simple fact that titles come and go precludes using any streaming service to replace physical media for favorite titles. Now if any of these services will guarantee that *all* movies/TV shows that have received or will receive a physical media release in any digital format (DVD/MOD/BR/etc) will be 100% available for that ~$8 monthly fee until the day I die I'll consider dumping my physical collection for a monthly subscription but not before. The other side of that is my wife hates the "clutter" of a physical collection and would *love* it if I'd dump mine for such services.

Don't know what to say to those who sell used DVDs though- I've never bought ANY used media just for the purpose of saving money, as I'm an obsessive collector and new copies can usually be found for not much more, or sometimes even LESS than what used copies sell for.
Used DVDs exist for picking up that OOP title that's simply way overpriced as a new in shrinkwrap version. I'm constantly amazed that I can purchase new copies of titles for less than what some people are selling the same titles as a used copies.
Old 04-26-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Here's an example of why you do *not* want to 100% rely on streaming services.

List of expiring Netflix titles (stolen from another forum and is skewed towards horror/sci-fi):
Spoiler:

Expiring April 6:
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST

Expiring April 7:
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2

Expiring April 10:
HISSS

Expiring April 11:
BOCCACCIO '70 (1962, with Fellini's 'Amazing Colossal Anita Ekberg' sequence)

Expiring April 13:
ZOMBIE WOMEN OF SATAN

Expiring April 15:
ALBERT FISH
DONNIE DARKO
FRAGILE
SOUTHERN COMFORT

Expiring April 16:
BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD
THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE (2001)

Expiring April 20:
JASON OF STAR COMMAND (complete series)
THE MIGHTY HERCULES (the 1960s TV cartoon series)
THE MR. MAGOO SHOW (ditto)
OUTCAST (2010)
THE PACK (2010)
PARANORMAL ENTITY
PRINCESS OF MARS
PUNISHED (2011)

Expiring April 26:
SEASON OF THE WITCH (2011)
GUNGRAVE (2003, anime series featuring an undead hero and undead gangsters)

Expiring April 29 (Several Marvel animated superhero series from the 1990s-2000s):
ASTONISHING X-MEN: GIFTED
BLACK PANTHER
FANTASTIC FOUR: WORLD'S GREATEST HEROES
THE INCREDIBLE HULK
IRON MAN: IRON ADVENTURES
IRON MAN: EXTREMIS
SILVER SURFER
SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED
SPIDER-WOMAN: AGENT OF S.W.O.R.D.

Expiring May 1:
ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN
AMOK TRAIN
ANDROID
ANGEL UNCHAINED
ANGELS FROM HELL
THE APE (1940)
ARABIAN NIGHTS (Pasolini)
AT THE EARTH'S CORE
ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE
AUDREY ROSE
BAMBOO GODS AND IRON MEN
BARB WIRE
BARE KNUCKLES
THE BAT PEOPLE
BAWDY TALES
BEACH PARTY
BEACH RED
THE BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES
THE BEAST WITHIN
THE BED SITTING ROOM
BEHIND THE MASK (1946, The Shadow)
BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER
THE BIG BOODLE
BIG HOUSE U.S.A.
BIKINI BEACH
BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN
THE BLACK CAT (1989)
BLACK SABBATH
THE BLACK SLEEP
BLITHE SPIRIT
BLOOD AND LACE
BLOOD BATH
BLOOD GAMES
THE BLOODY JUDGE
BOP GIRL (GOES CALYPSO)
BOXCAR BERTHA
THE BOY AND THE PIRATES
THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE
BREEDERS
BUCKTOWN
A BULLET FOR PRETTY BOY
BUNNY O'HARE
BURN WITCH BURN
THE BURNING
BURNT OFFERINGS
BWANA DEVIL
CANON CITY (1948, good, forgotten noir)
A CANTERBURY TALE (Powell/Pressburger)
THE CARETAKERS
THE CAT BURGLAR
CHARLIE CHAN: MEETING AT MIDNIGHT
CHARLIE CHAN: THE CHINESE CAT
CHARLIE CHAN: THE JADE MASK
CHARLIE CHAN: THE SECRET SERVICE
C.H.O.M.P.S.
CHROME AND HOT LEATHER
THE CLAIRVOYANT
THE COMEDY OF TERRORS
COMIC BOOK CONFIDENTIAL
CONDOR
CONTAMINATION.7
COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE
COUNTESS DRACULA
CRAWLSPACE (1986)
CREATURE
THE CRIMSON CULT
CRUCIBLE OF HORROR
CRYSTALSTONE
CUL-DE-SAC
CULT OF THE DAMNED
CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE
CYCLE SAVAGES
DAMNED RIVER
DANGER ROUTE (cool Amicus spy flick)
DARK TOWER (1987)
DAUGHTERS OF SATAN
DAY OF THE NIGHTMARE
DE SADE
DEATH RIDES A HORSE
DEEP IMPACT
DEEP SPACE
THE DELINQUENTS
DERANGED
THE DEVIL WITHIN HER
THE DEVIL'S ANGELS
THE DEVIL'S EIGHT
THE DIAMOND WIZARD
DIARY OF A HIGH SCHOOL BRIDE
DIE, MONSTER, DIE
DILLINGER (1973)
DISASTER ON THE COASTLINER
DR. BLOOD'S COFFIN
DOLLS
DONOVAN'S BRAIN
DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE BIKINI MACHINE
DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS
DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN
DRUM
THE DUNGEONMASTER
DUNWICH HORROR
EDGE OF FURY
EDGE OF SANITY
THE ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT
ENCOUNTER AT RAVEN'S GATE
THE EVICTORS
THE EXPLOSIVE GENERATION
FACE OF MARBLE
FANFARE FOR A DEATH SCENE
THE FATAL HOUR (Karloff as Mr. Wong)
FEARLESS FRANK
FELLINI SATYRICON
FINDERS KEEPERS (1967)
FIREBALL 500
THE FLIGHT THAT DISAPPEARED
FOR THOSE WHO THINK YOUNG
FRIDAY FOSTER
FRITZ THE CAT
FROGS
FULL MOON HIGH
GHOST WARRIOR
THE GHOUL (1933)
THE GLORY STOMPERS
GOG
GOLDEN NEEDLES
GOR
GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE
HANDS OF THE RIPPER
THE HAPPY H*O*O*KER
THE HAPPY H*O*O*KER GOES TO HOLLYWOOD
THE HAPPY H*O*O*KER GOES TO WASHINGTON
HARRY IN YOUR POCKET
HERCULES AGAINST KARATE
HERCULES AGAINST THE MONGOLS
HIGH SCHOOL HELLCATS
THE HILLS RUN RED (1967)
THE HORROR SHOW
THE HOSPITAL
HOT CARS
HOT ROD GANG
HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1978)
HOUR OF THE WOLF (Bergman)
HOUSE OF SHADOWS
THE HOUSE WHERE EVIL DWELLS
HOW TO STUFF A WILD BIKINI
I BURY THE LIVING
I ESCAPED FROM DEVIL'S ISLAND
I START COUNTING
THE IMMORTALIZER
INCIDENT IN AN ALLEY
THE INCREDIBLE TWO-HEADED TRANSPLANT
THE INITIATION OF SARAH
INTERZONE
INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS
INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES
INVISIBLE INVADERS
IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE
IT'S A BIKINI WORLD
J.D.'S REVENGE
JACK THE GIANT KILLER
JAWS OF SATAN
JOHNNY COOL
JOURNEY TO THE SEVENTH PLANET
JUGGERNAUT
K-9000
KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL
KILL A DRAGON
THE KILLER IS LOOSE
KILLER'S KISS (Kubrick)
KING OF THE ZOMBIES
KISS ME, KILLER (Jess Franco)
KISS ME, STUPID (Billy Wilder)
KONGA
LADYBUG, LADYBUG
LAND OF DOOM
THE LAST MAN ON EARTH
THE LAST TIME I SAW ARCHIE
LEGION OF IRON
LITTLE CIGARS
LITTLE NORSE PRINCE VALIANT (1960s theatrical anime)
THE LIVING GHOST
LOVE AT STAKE
MAD ABOUT MEN (sequel to the mermaid comedy, MIRANDA)
MADHOUSE
THE MAGIC SWORD
THE MAN FROM BUTTON WILLOW (forgotten 1960s animated feature)
THE MAN FROM PLANET X
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
MANCHU EAGLE MURDER CAPER MYSTERY
THE MANSTER
MARAT/SADE
MARS NEEDS WOMEN
MARYJANE
MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH (1964)
MASQUERADE (1965)
MASTER OF THE WORLD
MATCHLESS
MATLIDA: SPECIAL EDITION (1996)
MEET JOE BLACK
MELVIN PURVIS - G-MAN (1974, Dan Curtis)
THE MERCENARY (1968)
MESSAGE FROM SPACE
MIDNIGHT MATINEE
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (1968)
THE MINI-SKIRT MOB
THE MINOTAUR (1960)
MIRANDA (1948)
THE MISSING LADY (1946, The Shadow)
MOM
THE MONKEY HUSTLE
MONKEY SHINES
MONSTER DOG
THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD
MOON OF THE WOLF
MOUSE ON THE MOON
MR. WONG, DETECTIVE
MR. WONG IN CHINATOWN
MULHOLLAND DR.
MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1971)
MUTANT HUNT
MY SON, THE HERO (1962)
THE MYSTERY OF MR. WONG
MYSTERY LINER
MYSTERY OF THE 13TH GUEST
NAKED AFRICA
NAVAJO JOE
NEANDERTHAL MAN
NIGHT OF THE COMET
THE NINE LIVES OF FRITZ THE CAT
THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH (Abbott & Costello)
NORTHWEST FRONTIER (a.k.a. FLAME OVER INDIA)
OCTAMAN
THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY (Roy Ward Baker)
ONE, TWO, THREE (Billy Wilder)
OPEN HOUSE (1987)
ORDER OF THE BLACK EAGLE
PAJAMA PARTY
PANGA (Christopher Lee)
THE PEACEKILLERS
PHAROAH'S CURSE
PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES
PLAY DIRTY
PRAY FOR DEATH
PREDATOR: THE QUIETUS
PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1987)
QUEEN OF BLOOD
RAW MEAT
RED PLANET MARS
THE RESURRECTED
RETROACTIVE
THE RETURN OF COUNT YORGA
THE RETURN OF DRACULA
THE ROAD TO HONG KONG
THE ROCKING HORSE WINNER (1950)
ROCKY & BULLWINKLE & FRIENDS: SEASONS 1-5
RUN FOR THE SUN
THE SCALPHUNTERS
SCARECROWS (1988)
THE SCARLET CLUE (Charlie Chan)
SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM
SCREAMTIME
THE SECRET INVASION (Corman)
SECRET SCREAMS
THE SHANGHAI COBRA (Charlie Chan)
SHE (1982)
SHIVER (2008)
SHOUT AT THE DEVIL
SHRIEK IF YOU KNOW WHAT I DID FRIDAY THE 13TH
SKI PARTY
SMILE
SOLARBABIES
SOMETIMES THEY COME BACK
SPECIAL EFFECTS (1984)
THE SPELL (1977)
SPELLBINDER
SPELLCASTER
SQUIRM
STARCROSSED
STICKS OF DEATH
SUGAR HILL
TALES OF TERROR (1962)
TERRORVISION
THEATER OF BLOOD
THEM (2007)
THEREMIN: AN ELECTRONIC ODYSSEY
THE THING WITH TWO HEADS
THIRST (2009)
THE THIRTEENTH FLOOR
THREE BAD SISTERS (1956... Kathleen Hughes, Marla English and Sara Shane)
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!
TIMERIDER: THE ADVENTURE OF LYLE SWANN
TIMESTALKERS
TINTORERA: KILLER SHARK
TOP SECRET! (1984)
TOPKAPI
TRANSATLANTIC TUNNEL
TWINS OF EVIL
TWO-MINUTE WARNING
UFO (1956)
UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: THE RETURN
VAMPIRE CIRCUS
THE VAMPIRE LOVERS
THE VAMPIRE (1957, John Beal)
VICE RAID (1960, Mamie Van Doren)
VIOLENT PLAYGROUND (1958, Peter Cushing)
VIVA MARIA! (1965)
WARGAMES
WARRIOR OF THE LOST WORLD
WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY?
WHEN EIGHT BELLS TOLL
WILD IN THE STREETS
WITCHFINDER GENERAL
YONGARY, MONSTER FROM THE DEEP
ZOMBIETHON (1986, clip compilation film)

Or just check here for a full list.

I own *lots* of titles on that list. If I dumped my collection and went streaming I'd be SOL.
Old 04-26-13, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777

Studios HATED when Redbox set a movie's value at $1.
LOL ....So studios set a movie's value at pennies with streaming.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Wal-Mart shelves stocked with $3.00 titles within a year or two. Last time I looked they had a decent selection priced at $5.00
Old 04-26-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

As I may have said before, streaming services can actually HELP disc sales- if I watch a movie on Netflix in mediocre quality, and know it won't even be on there forever, if I like it I'll go get the disc if it's available. On the other hand I've watched some movies there which I've considered buying, and decided I didn't like them enough to do that.
Old 04-26-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

LOL ....So studios set a movie's value at pennies with streaming.
But you're still looking at a difference between new release and catalog.
Old 04-26-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

The problem with the current streaming model is that it requires multiple services if you really want a wide and deep catalog to choose from. All of them now pay for exclusive rights to some content, which means that you really need two and probably three different streaming providers to cover most of what is available. The rights are also constantly changing, so movies will disappear on one provider and pop up somewhere else.
Old 04-26-13, 02:30 PM

Alan Smithee; I'm not familiar with streaming. How long are specific titles normally available?

Most noticeable is when I look at Amazon titles. Like "Once Upon A Time In America"
Buy New: $16.95 Used: $1.00
Amazon Instant Video Rent: $2.99 Buy: $9.99 Amazon Prime $0.00

Hmmmm....So many choices. I think I'll pass on the new $16.95 DVD.
Old 04-26-13, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
But you're still looking at a difference between new release and catalog.
This is true. ...But in either case, I'm looking at the prices of renting vs purchasing. New Releases: Redbox $1.25 Purchase $15.00 Catalog: Streaming 5¢ to 10¢ Purchase $4.00 to $15.00
Old 04-26-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure the studios know the movie business, better than I do. Still can't imagine how 14,000 titles available for rent @ $7.99/month is more profitable than selling DVDs for $5.00 each or even less.
You're confusing what the studios get with what subscription places are charging per month to the consumer. Apples and oranges.

The studio is guaranteed a base income from the deal plus anything else worked out, such as an amount each time it's watched.

The studio isn't guaranteed my money on the latest Resident Evil movie, even if it's $5.
Old 04-26-13, 03:30 PM

While there is validity to the concerns of titles disappearing from an online/digital aggregate, make no mistake - this is the future of content delivery. If NF were to ever go away, something would replace it. There will never be a time in any of our lives where this type of model does not exist (I guess notwithstanding any nuclear holocausts, mummy apocalypse, alien invasions, etc). Just like all those OOP DVD titles that got re-released on DVD again! or Blu, or digital. Once something becomes 1s and 0s it's pretty hard to ever erase. Not to mention, digital preservation of great films (and not so great ones) is a problem we are working to solve.

When a title disappears from Netflix, I have other options to track it down if needed (other online services, BD, used, etc), but I find that I use NF primarily for catalog titles, things I would have never bothered seeing or to check out some new releases. I've also started renting from Amazon on occasion (also a Prime member). It's been nice to cut back on films I was buying to just "see again" or to have for a rainy day and also to make a lot more space (1000+ titles takes up a lot of room).

Don't get me wrong... solely streaming? PQ isn't there, internet isn't always working, etc. I love commentaries and special features, and for titles that I adore, I am going to own a physical copy if I can. But I certainly don't feel the need to have physical copies anymore and I'm also not concerned about OOP like I used to be. The infrastructural issues will get sorted, PQ will get better, internet connections will become faster and more reliable.

Ditched cable almost 8 years ago now. Don't even notice. Stopped buying tons of movies about 2-3 years ago. Seems to be working out for me quite well.

Last edited by notkevinbacon; 04-26-13 at 03:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.