Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2013 Horror Challenge

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-30-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Lots of feedback and great ideas brought up this year. But since I'm on another computer at the moment and too lazy to find those I wrote down, I'll let those who brought them up mention them or I'll eventually get around to posting them ...whatever comes first.

And before someone brings up the inevitable "Isn't it a bit early?" comment, well, not really. I always post this thread every year immediately before the results thread goes up. Otherwise the link at the end of that thread would be completely useless.
Old 11-30-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2013 Horror Challenge

I think the checklist could use some revision. I'll post more later but

1. Merging the extraterrestial and space checklist items would balamce the sci-fi emphasis.
2. Delete the MPAA ratings item because NC17 and G ratings seem sparse.
3. For prize drawings I think, donations permitting, theme night and subset completion should both be separate eligibilities (both involve a but of effort).
4. Add a checklist item for a nation of origin rotating each year.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-30-12 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing that comes to mind is this whole Thrillers issue. I think it would be easiest to add to the "What counts?" a line that goes something like: Qualifying Thrillers (ie, Jaws); use your best judgement.

It just seems like it comes up every year. I think some thrillers really are close enough to horror that people shouldn't have to ask.
Old 11-30-12, 10:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

I think my main suggestion was to give more user choice in the checklists that many of the other Challenges have implemented.

List all 15 decades of film history, but require just 10. List 20 actors but require 15. List 30 subgenres but require 25. Etc/etc
Old 11-30-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think my main suggestion was to give more user choice in the checklists that many of the other Challenges have implemented.

List all 15 decades of film history, but require just 10. List 20 actors but require 15. List 30 subgenres but require 25. Etc/etc
si
Old 11-30-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i brought that up also which I believe the criterion challenge uses this? I know i had to force myself thru alot of movies to complete it.

i also think we should pick subsets based on what can be found streaming imo makes it easier and gives people a chance to be exposed to different films without having to buy them.
Old 12-01-12, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

This. Many other challenges have moved to this type system and it seems to work rather well. It gives good variety but provides a way to avoid actors/directors/films/etc. you do not like or do not own.
Originally Posted by terrycloth
i brought that up also which I believe the criterion challenge uses this? I know i had to force myself thru alot of movies to complete it.

i also think we should pick subsets based on what can be found streaming imo makes it easier and gives people a chance to be exposed to different films without having to buy them.
Due to the somewhat flaky/unstable nature of what's available for streaming I'd go with this only if the streaming service(s) used are available free. Otherwise I'd rather just purchase a copy of a film if needed/available as I can't justify subscribing to services that, for me, provide little return.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-01-12 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

I'd also agree with the checklist flexibility. I've never done the checklist for this challenge, but it's slightly more possible that I'd give it go if we made this change.
Old 12-01-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I forget what I sent you earlier but a horror bingo aspect to the checklist could be awesome.

Things like;

Sex with the dead or recently dead
Chainsaw fatality
Somebody says "I'll Be Right Back"

ect
Old 12-01-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggestion: Have Chad continue kicking ass with hosting the challenge! This one is unparalleled.
Old 12-01-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Loved the theme nights matching subset films. One of the most entertaining parts of the challenge. I still wished for a bit more participation in the individual film discussions, but it was thoroughly enjoyable.
Old 12-01-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Loved the theme nights matching subset films. One of the most entertaining parts of the challenge. I still wished for a bit more participation in the individual film discussions, but it was thoroughly enjoyable.
Even though I didn't partake in any of the discussions, I agree. We all have our own preferences about how we like to do the challenge, but for me, it would more enjoyable if there was more of a focus on good discussions and analysis instead of simply seeing how many titles you can watch in a month.
Old 12-01-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Undeadcow did a terrific job with his inputs on the subsets. I really enjoyed reading those "intro" reviews. Good job.
Old 12-01-12, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Undeadcow did a terrific job with his inputs on the subsets. I really enjoyed reading those "intro" reviews. Good job.
Thanks. I do wish there was more subset discussion, those films are half the fun. I think we were nearly the only people to comment on Fascination.
Old 12-02-12, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

How about a chat room or something for the subset nights? Some friends from college and I used to have a chat room during the Oscars and it was a blast.

Maybe there would be more discussion for those if everyone were around at the same time watching the same thing.
Old 12-02-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I just enjoy things how they are. I understand that with more and more technological advances develop other people will view horror movies in different ways. But for me I just like to watch movies the old fashioned way- DVD or what shows up on TV. I understand that in the upcoming years this will be a thing of the past also. But again, i'm just happy the way things are with the challenge and I enjoy it every year.
Old 12-03-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Eliminate Wild Cards completely... would elimated people arguing why they included something. Just rely on IMDB, AllMovies.com or similar as to determine if something is horror
Old 12-03-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Eliminate Wild Cards completely... would elimated people arguing why they included something. Just rely on IMDB, AllMovies.com or similar as to determine if something is horror
Agreed.
Old 12-03-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think wild cards are perfect - their usage minimizes arguments, instead of enlarging them.
Old 12-03-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't know about that, The Amazing Spiderman started a pretty big arguement
Old 12-03-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I don't know about that, The Amazing Spiderman started a pretty big arguement
I'd vote against wild cards, mainly because of that film/issue.

If something really is borderline, it's not too hard to find it listed as horror somewhere, anywhere. Even going off what amazon.com lists something as would be fine and I think they really stretch it at times. If you can find a place listing something as horror, I think it's fine in most cases(not counting something like a blog).
Old 12-03-12, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I think wild cards are perfect - their usage minimizes arguments, instead of enlarging them.
I agree, wild cards seem essential to a smooth challenge... even if people use them for Spider-man. I think wildcards keep down the challenge police in check and allow people to watch some atypical choices if they prefer minor deviations.
Old 12-03-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I agree, wild cards seem essential to a smooth challenge... even if people use them for Spider-man. \
this is basically my stance...watching spiderman seems ridiculous, but it doesn't bother me if someone does its theyre choice.

i figured wildcards would be phased out once tv got added as i only use them for shorts for the checklist...most of the halloween specials i watch on tv i don't bother listing
Old 12-03-12, 10:11 PM

I like the way we do TV now. So many shows these days are better than theatrical offerings. Glad to be able to include horror tv in the mix.

I say the wild cards should stay. It keeps some genre arguments in check and gives you just a bit of needed flexibility. They are your wild cards, use them however you want to. Want to count Love Actually? Knock yourself out. Besides, it's not like we get 104 off them or anything.
Old 12-04-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just like the Wild Cards because they increase my numbers, which makes me feel guilty, so I in-turn watch more legit movies to counter-act my guilty feeling. On another note, I feel I have to use Wild Cards because they're part of the challenge and I want to do as much of the challenge as I can (albeit I missed the checklist this year).

Yeah, that comment really doesn't further any dicussion... I say keep Wild Cards because they've been around forever (I think) and getting rid of them would mean you hate puppies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.