Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 5

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 5

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-12, 07:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by terrycloth
Agreed def pleased to have won a prize. Out of the prizes I own the multipacks, fragility, and innkeepers. Either way they'd make great Xmas gifts!
Ditto!

May be too late, but here's what I already own:

Frailty
Lionsgate 6 pack
The Cabin in the Woods

Thanks for yet another great challenge! Still catching up on reading through everyone's lists, looking for next year's picks.
Old 11-21-12, 07:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Full PM box, and almost missed the email, but sweet! Thanks Chad. You're the highlight of DVDTalk, and I hope you're recovering well.

I just replied to your email with my address and the list of the items I already own, but here it is again:

Don't Open Until Christmas
Frailty
both Lionsgate 8 movie packs
The Cabin in the Woods
The Innkeepers
Antichrist
the Troma titles
Old 11-21-12, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only one I already own is Black Sunday.
Old 11-21-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Hey, Chad - I just saw and replied to the PM about the prize. I scrolled back and saw that there may be a prize shortage. If so, it's quite alright if I don't get anything. As for which prize, I'm not picky. I'd love to snag that Antichrist Criterion Blu-ray if for no other reason than to expand my really small Criterion library, but whatever you send will be appreciated.
Old 11-21-12, 09:47 PM

Not sure if it's late but i'll post it anyways. The only things I own...

Frankenhooker, Twins of Evil, Red Scorpion, 42 Street Forever, Frailty, Lionsgate 8 Movie Pack, Cabin in the Woods, and Vampire Circus.

Just happy to win, even if the prize is a spunk sock.
Old 11-22-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own any of the titles listed. I was planning to pick up the Halloween II release, but will hold off for now just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for everything Chad! You should rest easy once everything is finished, you deserve it!
Old 11-22-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Alright, scratch everything I said about posting it tonight. I'm taking Dick's advice, gonna take a couple days off for the holiday and shoot for early next week. There's really no point in posting an incomplete thread after putting this much time and effort into it. This way the remaining winners have enough time to list stuff they already own and I keep my sanity in check ...it's a win win for everyone.

Yeah, at this rate the thread is gonna take as long as the challenge lasts. I've created a monster.
Old 11-22-12, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chad, thanks again for the contact. Very excited to have won, although I would have participated regardless. Not in it for the prizes, in it because I love horror.

Titles I own already:
Frankenhooker
Twins of Evil
Halloween 2/3 (shout factory)
Alucarda
Twins of Evil (blu ray)
Lionsgate Horror Collection: 8 Movie Pack
Puppet Master 2/3 (blu ray)
Cabin in the Woods
Inkeepers
Black Sunday
Antichrist

Thanks!
Old 11-22-12, 12:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Alright, scratch everything I said about posting it tonight. I'm taking Dick's advice, gonna take a couple days off for the holiday and shoot for early next week. There's really no point in posting an incomplete thread after putting this much time and effort into it. This way the remaining winners have enough time to list stuff they already own and I keep my sanity in check ...it's a win win for everyone.
Chad, I heartily approve of this! Thanksgiving should be enjoyed so get a good night's sleep and have a great day tomorrow. That goes for all the DVD Talkers as well.

Prizes I already have:
Don't Open Till Christmas
The Girl in Room 2A
The Killer Must Kill Again
Lionsgate 8 Pack
Lionsgate 6 Pack
Vampire Circus (Blu)

Thanks again Chad.

And once again

Happy Thanksgiving !!
Old 11-22-12, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I own:
Frankenhooker
Twins Of Evil
Halloween 3
Alucarda
Girl In Room 2A
Killer Must Kill Again
42nd St Forever
Twins Of Evil
Frailty
Lions Gate 8 Movie Pack
Lions Gate 6 Movie Pack
Vampire Circus

If I get something I already own I'm sure I could find someone in the thread to trade with though.

And Chad, whoever ends up with the 3 prizes I/Celluloid Terror donated let them know that I'll get the prizes out first week of December since I'm moving next week. Thanks as always for your hard work!

Happy turkey day everyone!
Old 11-22-12, 01:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, at this rate the thread is gonna take as long as the challenge lasts. I've created a monster.
Really looking forward to this! I don't mind waiting a bit more at all, whatever brings out the best!

Thank you so much for doing this, Chad!
Old 11-22-12, 04:44 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I guess I should go on record so this is just to let you know that I don't own any of the prizes that were donated. That looks kind of sad now that I have wrote it but it's the way it is. I look forward to getting any of them! And Chad, I am glad that you are waiting on wrapping this up. You do a tremendous job on this and we will all enjoy the finished product whenever you are done.
Old 11-22-12, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by dan31655
Just happy to win, even if the prize is a spunk sock.
That's how I felt too .

The only prizes that I own are Vampire Circus and Black Sunday. Looking forward to whatever I get though!
Old 11-22-12, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enjoy the holiday! And since it's a "Thanks" day, thanks again, Chad for what you do here. And thanks to all you participants for helping create a great distraction while I deal with my father's illness. You don't know how much I needed it.
Old 11-22-12, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Yes! Take time off, eat lots of goodies, and rest! That's far more important than a results thread - we can wait as long as you feel is necessary.

Adding my voice to the chorus of *THANKS* to you for running this challenge! I was absolutely amazed at your level of participation this year considering the surgery (that shot of the incision is *still* etched in my mind)!
Old 11-22-12, 08:42 AM

I'd be happy to win anything really, since I've been doing this challenge for 5 years and have never won anything, I'm just stoked about getting a prize. But I already have Halloween 2/3, Frailty, and Puppet Master 2/3 (though I'll probably just give something as a gift if I already own it). Whether I win it or not, I'm totally going to track down "The Fields" and check it out for the challenge next year because it sounds so damn cool.
Old 11-22-12, 01:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

It always takes me several weeks to recover and get back on track after this challenge... I'm almost there.

Just got the PM that I won something. Yeah! Thanks Chad! It's always fun to play and, as always, all your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keeping in mind I love the original Halloween, I thought you guys might enjoy Bill Simmons' 8 biggest issues with the movie. Really can't argue much with them:

Flaw No. 8: At the beginning of the movie, we see Dr. Loomis and a nurse driving to Myers's mental hospital. Myers steals their car and drives another 150 miles to Haddonfield, then spends Halloween driving around and does the following things: goes to his old house; goes to a graveyard to steal his sister's grave; goes downtown, breaks into the hardware store and steals some rope, some knives and a mask; goes down to the high school and starts stalking three female girls; continues to stalk the girls; then follows them in his car to their babysitting gigs across town. At no point does the car run out of gas. Was this a futuristic station wagon Chevy Volt?

Flaw No. 7: Despite a potential serial killer being on the loose and potentially returning to Haddonfield, and despite Dr. Loomis's devout opinion that Myers is "purely and simply evil" and will definitely kill again on the 15th anniversary of his last murder, when the sheriff asks Loomis whether they should get the word out that Myers might be in Haddonfield — via TV and radio — Loomis talks him out of it because "they'll see him on every street corner" before deciding they're better off "just keeping an eye out for him." In this case, "they" includes Loomis, the sheriff and two other cops covering an entire town. Call me crazy, but I think they were better off with Plan B: letting everyone in Haddonfield know about the escaped psychopath.

Flaw No. 6: Myers spent 15 years in a mental hospital before engineering his savvy escape on the night before Halloween (1978), when he had just turned 21 years old. How did he escape? By stealing a car and effortlessly driving away — even though he had never, at any point, driven a car before. This was so preposterous that they even mention it in the movie — Loomis claims that Myers is going back to Haddonfield, one of the doctors says, "For God's sake, Sam, he can't even drive a car," and Loomis snaps, "HE WAS DOING VERY WELL LAST NIGHT!" Also, how did he get to Haddonfield without a navigation system? You'd have to think that, if Myers was really the bogeyman, then he's possessed by Satan (which means Satan was guiding the car). You know what? I just talked myself into it.

Flaw No. 5: Myers finds the Haddonfield graveyard (again, he hasn't been outside since he was 6), finds his sister's grave without a map or any help, removes the heavy tombstone, carries it to his car and gets it into his car. Underrated ridiculous.

Flaw No. 4: Myers spends Halloween brazenly driving around in a green station wagon that's been reported stolen the previous night — he goes to the local high school, downtown, spends some time at his house, you name it. Does anyone notice the creepy green car with the "FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY" tag on it and the masked weirdo behind the wheel? Of course not.

Flaw No. 3: Dr. Loomis spends Halloween night staking out Myers's old house. After multiple hours of just standing there near the house, he turns around and somehow notices the stolen station wagon … which has been sitting there for hours. It's right behind him! Really?

Flaw No. 2: Despite spending the last 15 years in a mental hospital, 21-year-old Michael Myers instinctively knows how to cut the power and phone lines for TWO houses? I wouldn't know how to cut the power and/or cut the phone lines of my house right now, at age 43.

Flaw No. 1: Annie's father (the sheriff) never tells his daughter, "Hey, honey, you're babysitting tonight? Please be careful — there's a 10 percent chance a serial killer might be on the loose who has a history of killing cute girls in your age range." How does she not get a heads-up?????? I was fine with every other flaw in the movie, but Pete Bladel just ruined it for me — as a father with a daughter, I'm appalled. No heads-up for Annie???? Nothing?
Old 11-22-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

The only stuff I own from the prizes listed is 42nd Street Forever & Halloween II.

And Chad, I am also with one of the posters above. Though I have never won anything before in these challenges, if you are short, you can skip me, I don't mind. I just enjoy the challenge itself and don't expect anything.

And by the way, who the heck pays for all the postage to send out all those prizes? I hope you aren't getting stuck with the bill because that could be quite costly in the end looking at the amount you are mailing out.
Old 11-23-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Keeping in mind I love the original Halloween, I thought you guys might enjoy Bill Simmons' 8 biggest issues with the movie. Really can't argue much with them:

I can't argue either
Old 11-23-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I included this in my PM, but just in case it's easier to post here, these are the prizes I already own:

Frankenhooker
Frailty
Lionsgate Horror Collection: 8 Movie Pack
Vampire Circus
Antichrist
Halloween II (I guess ... I own the old Blu-ray edition)
Old 11-23-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086

So true. I'll just have to turn off my "logic vision" when I watch this from now on.
Old 11-23-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as those "flaws" for Halloween go... meh. I can look that deep into just about any movie I've ever seen and find shit wrong with it. Do we really care to see Michael gas up the car? Is it worth even thinking about? Would it even really need gas if Haddonfield is only 150 miles away and driving around town doesn't take much since its not a big city. A full tank of gas at 20mpg could easily get to Haddonfield. The tombstone thing isn't that unbelievable is it? I mean, he finds the graveyard in a small town and finds the grave marked Judith Myers? That isn't that difficult. And it was already hinted at that Loomis belives he's "purely and simply evil" so why is it that weird that he can carry a tombstone? How many people are at the graveyard during school hours anyways?

People read way too deep into horror movies when they don't need to.
Old 11-23-12, 05:15 PM

Thanks to the Chadmiester for putting this all together and giving me a prize

these I owned:

The Innkeepers
42ndt street forever
cabin in the woods
Old 11-23-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Meant to mention this last night but I was away all day yesterday for Thanksgiving and apparently my PMs went from 0 to 30 in a matter of hours because I arrived home to an email saying my inbox was full and 4 people tried to contact me. So if you were one of those people just wanted to let you know it's been cleared out. And I'd just cleared it out the day before!

Originally Posted by SethDLH
And Chad, whoever ends up with the 3 prizes I/Celluloid Terror donated let them know that I'll get the prizes out first week of December since I'm moving next week.
Sure, no problem.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Hey, Chad - I just saw and replied to the PM about the prize. I scrolled back and saw that there may be a prize shortage. If so, it's quite alright if I don't get anything.
-&-

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
And Chad, I am also with one of the posters above. Though I have never won anything before in these challenges, if you are short, you can skip me, I don't mind. I just enjoy the challenge itself and don't expect anything.
Appreciate the offer, but it's not necessary. I found out about it before determining the winners, so every person that won something will get their prize(s). There's only 3 titles (unfortunately good ones - Black Sunday, Two Orphan Vampires, The Loved Ones) that are unaccounted for. And with the donated title that puts us at 48 instead of 50, which is still 18 more than last year and that's an all-time high. In fact, there are 4 lucky people that'll walk away with 2 prizes. We'll survive.

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
And by the way, who the heck pays for all the postage to send out all those prizes? I hope you aren't getting stuck with the bill because that could be quite costly in the end looking at the amount you are mailing out.
No. We're extremely lucky to have great sponsors and people like John Sinnott. With the exception of 4 Full Moon titles, they're either being sent off by the sponsors themselves or they were sent to the DVDTalk/IB offices and will be shipped from there.

Last edited by Chad; 11-23-12 at 08:36 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.