Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 5

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 5

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by terrycloth
So I went to a ghost hunting thing last week and at one point one of those toy monkeys with cymbals started going off so in that spirits honor I'm watching monkey shine for the first time
I thought about checking that one out. How was it?
Old 10-31-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Happy Halloween!

Watching Night of the Demons; the wraparound segment wih the apples always really annoys me because it's so stupid.
Originally Posted by mightysparks
...We don't celebrate Halloween in Australia, so horror movie marathons are always a good alternative.
Just put on a costume and start trick or treating, Halloween starts with you! If you do it then they will follow. Just watch out for the apples.
Old 10-31-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

My son's fifth birthday today! Gonna try and find something we can both watch....dollars to donuts says it is CB's The Great Pumpkin but I am open to suggestions suitable for a five year old that might be readily available online.
Old 10-31-12, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
A little friendly advice... LEAVE THAT COUNTRY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

All in good fun. Congrats on 300.
That's not the only lame thing about the country, I'm actually leaving next May Dunno if Halloween is a thing in the UK. Halloween always looked fun though

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Halloween starts with you! If you do it then they will follow. Just watch out for the apples.
Haha, I'd look like an idiot walking around dressed up for Halloween. Actually, people would probably think I was being dodgy and lock all their doors and hide their children.

We had a group of 3-4 trick-or-treaters tonight. Usually you get one group of 1-2 turning up, so it's a new record
Old 10-31-12, 09:25 AM

Took off work early to enjoy the rest of Halloween.

Starting the viewings off with Trick 'r Treat. That's such a great halloween movie. I will probably follow up with Night of the Demons.
Old 10-31-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Happy Halloween!

I think today may consist of a 28 Days Later & Aliens double feature. I also have a couple of funny horror films in case I stay up for the beginning of the comedy challenge. I may rewatch Zombieland or Tremors. Two of my favorites!

Congrats to all the 100ers. While I did better this year than last, I still won't be anywhere near that number.
Old 10-31-12, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
My son's fifth birthday today! Gonna try and find something we can both watch....dollars to donuts says it is CB's The Great Pumpkin but I am open to suggestions suitable for a five year old that might be readily available online.
Not sure if they are available online or not, but the Scary Godmother shows are pretty good...the first especially. My daughter loves them and watches them year-round, plus we have the books. Good Halloweeny fun!

5 should also be just right for Nightmare Before Christmas, depending on the child. My 4 year old is currently obsessed with it.
Old 10-31-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Basket Case 2 is the only movie I've ever seen that had Jolt product placement - one character even wears a Jolt t-shirt! I thought it suffered by losing the grimy Times Square environment and the corresponding oddball background characters, but I still enjoyed it. On to Part 3!
Old 10-31-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Happy Halloween!

I think today may consist of a 28 Days Later & Aliens double feature. I also have a couple of funny horror films in case I stay up for the beginning of the comedy challenge. I may rewatch Zombieland or Tremors. Two of my favorites!

Congrats to all the 100ers. While I did better this year than last, I still won't be anywhere near that number.
The comedy challenge starts at dusk.
Old 10-31-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I thought about checking that one out. How was it?
i really enjoyed it. I remember the boxart from a kid so was happy to see it show up on netflix. sadly no toy monkey with cymbals
Old 10-31-12, 11:23 AM

Night of the Demons is great... but Night of the Demons 2 just might be better (faster pacing, larger scale). Is Night of the Demons 3 worth hunting down?
Old 10-31-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sandy messed up my watching towards the end, but going to finish with Carpenter's Halloween tonight. It's a tradition.
Old 10-31-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Going to subject the wife to Human Centipede 2 tonight, hope it amps up the dementedness over the first one.
Old 10-31-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Night of the Demons is great... but Night of the Demons 2 just might be better (faster pacing, larger scale). Is Night of the Demons 3 worth hunting down?
If you're a fan of the series it may be worth checking out but it is by far the worst of the series
Old 10-31-12, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Going to subject the wife to Human Centipede 2 tonight, hope it amps up the dementedness over the first one.
Oh, it does.
Old 10-31-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So due to helping my father with his cancer treatment at certain days throughout the month (the first two days were biggies), I've missed being able to watch a few of the 31 Subset and Theme days ON the designated days, but I've been watching them on make-up days. Is everyone fine with me checking those off on the corresponding checklists, even with make-up days?

And, Chad, will completing the 31 Subset and Theme days on some alternate days qualify me for the random prize drawings for those categories?

Thanks! And Happy Halloween to all from me as well.
Old 10-31-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

So due to helping my father with his cancer treatment at certain days throughout the month (the first two days were biggies), I've missed being able to watch a few of the 31 Subset and Theme days ON the designated days, but I've been watching them on make-up days. Is everyone fine with me checking those off on the corresponding checklists, even with make-up days?

And, Chad, will completing the 31 Subset and Theme days on some alternate days qualify me for the random prize drawings for those categories?

Thanks! And Happy Halloween to all from me as well.
I think movies need to be watched on the day to qualify for the daily themes, but you can watch the daily subset films any time during the month. So you are good for that one.
Old 10-31-12, 01:53 PM

Made it to 50 this morning with Dementia 13; I didn't think I could get to 100, but don't think I did too badly for my first time in this challenge. I've seen some impressive, or at least memorable, new films along the way.

Tonight I'm thinking of watching Spider Baby, The Haunting and another seasonal favorite, Arsenic and Old Lace (not horror, I know, but it is set during Halloween); maybe a fourth movie, but I haven't decided on that yet.
Old 10-31-12, 02:01 PM

...I've missed being able to watch a few of the 31 Subset and Theme days ON the designated days, but I've been watching them on make-up days. Is everyone fine with me checking those off on the corresponding checklists, even with make-up days?...
Originally Posted by clckworang
I think movies need to be watched on the day to qualify for the daily themes, but you can watch the daily subset films any time during the month. So you are good for that one.
I agree with clckworang, as sympathetic as Dick Laurent's situation is I can't imagine any scenario that would allow for theme day make-up on alternative days without destroying the concept of theme days and making that just another checklist. Subset films have been fair game anytime. Any suggestions?
Old 10-31-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've struggled to comply with theme nights during their respective dates. I think it's part of the challenge. Even subset films being viewed on their dates makes sense to me, but theme nights cover such a wide range that if everybody just watched them whenever it would totally defeat the purpose. We've probably all watched tons of films that would apply to all theme nights during the course of the month. Personally not a fan of the make-up day option.
Old 10-31-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with clckworang, as sympathetic as Dick Laurent's situation is I can't imagine any scenario that would allow for theme day make-up on alternative days without destroying the concept of theme days and making that just another checklist. Subset films have been fair game anytime. Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by indiephantom
I've struggled to comply with theme nights during their respective dates. I think it's part of the challenge. Even subset films being viewed on their dates makes sense to me, but theme nights cover such a wide range that if everybody just watched them whenever it would totally defeat the purpose. We've probably all watched tons of films that would apply to all theme nights during the course of the month. Personally not a fan of the make-up day option.
I'm fine with this. I am doing make-up days in the sense that instead of just watching whatever I want or just the theme for that day, I have made sure to include a film for a theme day that I missed, which takes a little more effort than just total randomness. I think my make-up theme days are the same as the make-up 31 Films anyway, so no worries.

But again, totally fine with this. It would make sense to not qualify for the 31 Films either as long as that is the understood rule for everyone.
Old 10-31-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Should anyone still be looking for something 1920's and not the mainstays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z0SK1RkPQk

THE LAST WARNING (1929) it is silent.
Old 10-31-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Happy Birthday to your son! It's my daughter's 33rd (I had her watch Something Wicked This Way Comes on her 13th - mean dad, eh? ). When she was little she thought everyone was celebrating her birthday!

I don't know how readily available online it is but I'd recommend Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie. It has a few light scares for the younger crowd but doesn't overpower. My grand kids all loved it when they were roughly that age (or younger).

I'll probably go with Ernest Scared Stupid for theme night and try to work in one or two others but I'm currently practicing with 2 choirs on Wednesdays (with one, we're performing Mozart's "Requiem" for All Saints Day) and that eats up much of the evening. I'd recommend that one too, but it's possibly a bit intense for a 5 year old.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-31-12 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"No matter how fast you run, Michael Myers always runs faster."

FYI - for those of you mentioning you lost weight on the challenge, check out this article from EW:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/10/31/wa...t-study-finds/
Old 10-31-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, for my last night, I'll be watching my annual holiday classic, Goonies. Always watch that one on
Halloween as I pass out candy. We usually get 200-300 kids in a night, so it helps to know the movie when you're missing minutes here and there. Afterwards, mom requested Hocus Pocus so I'll use that for my last check mark for my own checklist. Afterwards, not sure what else I'll put in. Going to do the comedy one, but really saving myself for the holiday challenge which I hope to really excel at!

Already carved my pumpkins. Waiting for dark to put them out and light them. It doesn't seem like Halloween to me! Way too sunny and warm. When I was a kid, you had to plan your costume around a snowsuit as it was usually in the 30s and half the time we got snow. Today it's almost 50 degrees out! That's practically tropical for Wi!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.