Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by indiephantom

Enjoyed Crawlspace earlier. It struck me as cool that it's one film that could have been used successfully for three consecutive theme nights. Mad Doctor - Nazi - Apartment Horror.
I love Kinski in that one. Well, I love Kinski in most anything.
Old 10-17-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by jacob_b
As for The Innkeepers I agree. Very slow build and the payoff just wasn't as rewarding as I thought it would be.
I loved everything up until the ending of that film. It just felt very phoned in.

Going to try to watch it again before the end of the Challenge.
Old 10-17-12, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched the worst movie I've seen so far in this challenge: Drive Thru. I felt my brain melting out of my ears. What a piece of
Old 10-17-12, 09:14 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
I'm going to have to pull out of the horror challenge. I found out recently that my Mom has cancer and she is going to be having surgery this week. I really didn't want to pull out of the challenge since I had looked forward to doing it and bought several DVDs and Blu-Rays for it, but as much as I like DVDs and Blu-Rays my family takes priority over them. If you're the praying kind please say a prayer for her.

Hopefully next year I'll be able to take part in the horror challenge longer and things will be going well with the family. Good luck to everyone involved and have a good time!
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
Old 10-17-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Just watched Rollin's Fascination which is one of the better of his films. I also have Demoniacs that I bought a while ago that I wasn't too thrilled with. If you have some of the Rollin's recent remastered releases, which ones did you like or which ones should I buy next?
Old 10-17-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Why doesn't Toolbox Murders (1978) get the respect it deserves? The first third is cheap and overall it's sleazy but there's actually some intense character driven moments and an curious motive (even when over the top it's amusing)... most slashers just focus on kills and de-identify the culprit (who is Jason anyway?) so TBM is sort of a refreshing "anti-slasher."
I just watched it for the first time this month after not really thinking much about it other than it is probably a cheap exploitation flick that I'll get around to one day... while it is part cheap exploitation flick it does that really well and goes beyond it and has a sick maniacal charm to it. Loved it.

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I love Kinski in that one. Well, I love Kinski in most anything.
You and me both. I really want to dig more into his biographies/documentaries.
Old 10-17-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

My Universal Monster boxset came in yesterday. I dove into it and had one of my favorite nights of the challenge so far. I did a double feature of The Invisible Man and Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D. Both films looked incredible, but I was really blown away by the 3D in Creature. I'm sure it benefited since we were watching it outside on my screen. There were a couple of times when there were would be a small fish swimming at the bottom screen, and I could have sworn it was a real bug or a bat quickly flying by. I was really impressed. Watching Creature made me even more excited about the prospect of more 3D catalog titles getting released.
Old 10-17-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
There were a couple of times when there were would be a small fish swimming at the bottom screen, and I could have sworn it was a real bug or a bat quickly flying by.
The first time a fish swam by, I was startled too! I hadn't expected that kind of depth.
Old 10-17-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
That's paired with The Horny Devils on an SWV DVD-R, right? I keep putting off watching those, thinking I'll save them for the Drive-In Challenge, then in April, I always think maybe they'd be better in Oct.
That's the one.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Is Buck Flower in it much? I was surprised he had such a prominent role (for him) in Waxwork II.
Enough. He plays Mr. Jarkhoff head satanist and owner of Satantic Video or fat hairy guy 1 of 3.

Originally Posted by mightysparks
When a Stranger Calls was annoyingly disappointing. The first 20 minutes were so great and then it goes horribly downhill
Couldn't agree more.
Old 10-17-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so i just watched a movie i had very low expectations on and came out pleasantly surprised in Chernobyl Diaries.maybe i was in the perfect state of mind at 3am this morning, but this movie worked for me and actually had a really creepy scene and sadly a jump scare that got me. the only points of the film I had was like 10 minutes of out of character bitching like children and the ending did let me down as they didn't need to have a twist they could of went for a much simpler ending.
Old 10-17-12, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by terrycloth
so i just watched a movie i had very low expectations on and came out pleasantly surprised in Chernobyl Diaries.maybe i was in the perfect state of mind at 3am this morning, but this movie worked for me and actually had a really creepy scene and sadly a jump scare that got me. the only points of the film I had was like 10 minutes of out of character bitching like children and the ending did let me down as they didn't need to have a twist they could of went for a much simpler ending.
The cast doesn't look that promising but I LOVE Pripyat and that kind of setting (is there anything more beautiful than a completely abandoned and dilapidated city?), so I have to see it now.
Old 10-17-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Just came across an interesting tidbit while doing my writeup for CHUD 2. Perhaps widely known by fans but since there don't seem to be any of those here, myself included, I thought I would share.

Chud 2 was originally written as a Return Of The Living Dead sequel (part 3). But was changed to a Chud sequel at the last minute. It certainly does make a lot more sense when you look at it that way.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-17-12 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-17-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Just came across an interesting tidbit while doing my writeup for CHUD 2. Perhaps widely known by fans but since there don't seem to be any of those here, myself included, I thought I would share.

Chud 2 was originally written as a Return Of The Living Dead sequel (part 3). But was changed to a Chud sequel at the last minute. It certainly does make a lot more sense when you look at it that way.

Just some food for thought.
I didn't know that but that's what it seemed like when I saw it as a kid. I also liked it better than the first.
Old 10-17-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH

You and me both. I really want to dig more into his biographies/documentaries.
Agreed.Though I have read anything from the man himself has to be taken with a BIG grain of salt. Wonder how true that is. He certainly had a crazy life.

I have Venom on my shelf which I have avoided watching forever (I'm not big on snakes; not scared of them but bored by creature movies normally) and Creature is on Netflix. I'll probably bang them out for this challenge. I think they both fit.

He's just so delightfully creepy in Crawlspace. Not my fav flick but I have a soft spot for it.
Old 10-17-12, 12:53 PM

Since we're a bit over halfway, thought I'd do a 'Top 10 seen this month':

1. Detention (2011)
2. Rubber (2010)
3. Waxwork (1988)
4. Mum & Dad (2008)
5. Taste of Fear (1961)
6. Stake Land (2010)
7. Deadgirl (2008)
8. Dracula (1979)
9. Frankenhooker (1990)
10. Demonic Toys (1992)

I didn't really have anything important to contribute, but I just wanted to hurry up and get my 100th post

Old 10-17-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
I'm going to have to pull out of the horror challenge. I found out recently that my Mom has cancer and she is going to be having surgery this week. I really didn't want to pull out of the challenge since I had looked forward to doing it and bought several DVDs and Blu-Rays for it, but as much as I like DVDs and Blu-Rays my family takes priority over them. If you're the praying kind please say a prayer for her.
Man this cancer thing sucks this year (It always sucks, just affecting a lot of us in the OHMC). I think this is number four? Best wishes and prayers to you and your Mom/family. I will miss seeing your moniker in the interim, one of my favs! I hope things work out as best as possible for your mother. My father does not have surgery as an option due to the nature of the cancer, and that there is no cure. I have a long road ahead, and I can only tell you that even though you don't get used to it, the pain tends to not be so prevalent on a daily basis. It's month four or so for me.

Sorry if this is too personal for the challenge readers, but I think it's great that our little group is so close we can vent/share/help and everyone is supportive as all-heck. Great job, btw, guys and gals!

On a lighter note: Any opinions on whether or not Apartment 143 fits into today's theme?
Old 10-17-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, this year is hell for a lot of participants. I hope everything works out for all of you dealing with sickness in your family. It is just awful.

And, day 16 is posted. A couple recent sequels, Kinski being crazy and a great flick from Japan. http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...12-day-16.html
Old 10-17-12, 02:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Man this cancer thing sucks this year (It always sucks, just affecting a lot of us in the OHMC). I think this is number four? Best wishes and prayers to you and your Mom/family. I will miss seeing your moniker in the interim, one of my favs! I hope things work out as best as possible for your mother. My father does not have surgery as an option due to the nature of the cancer, and that there is no cure. I have a long road ahead, and I can only tell you that even though you don't get used to it, the pain tends to not be so prevalent on a daily basis. It's month four or so for me.

Sorry if this is too personal for the challenge readers, but I think it's great that our little group is so close we can vent/share/help and everyone is supportive as all-heck. Great job, btw, guys and gals!

On a lighter note: Any opinions on whether or not Apartment 143fits into today's theme?
I'm number five I guess. My mom has some "suspicious tissue" with a biopsy pending.

And on Apartment 143 we had some strong warnings to avoid it earlier in the month.
Old 10-17-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Best wishes to your mother, DoctorWhosScarf.

I really want to dig more into his biographies/documentaries.
It's not horror, but gotta throw out a recommendation for My Best Fiend. It really showcases what a batshitcrazy genius he really was.

And speaking of Kinski, can anyone recommend Vampire in Venice? Just caught the trailer and had no clue a sequel to Nosferatu the Vampyre even existed.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
On a lighter note: Any opinions on whether or not Apartment 143 fits into today's theme?
Yes, but today's theme has to do with apartments, not self-torture.
Old 10-17-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Best wishes to your mother, DoctorWhosScarf.

It's not horror, but gotta throw out a recommendation for My Best Fiend. It really showcases what a batshitcrazy genius he really was.

And speaking of Kinski, can anyone recommend Vampire in Venice? Just caught the trailer and had no clue a sequel to Nosferatu the Vampyre even existed.
Ha! I have the boxset that has My Best Friend in it... no Idea why I didn't think of that when posting.

As for Vampire In Venice, I haven't seen it but I've been curious about it for a while. If you end up watching it let us know how it is!
Old 10-17-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

With some many of us talking about Apartment 143 I wonder how many people blind bought this film and how much money it's made on sales so far. Also wondering why so many people bought it, myself included lol.
Old 10-17-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anymore trivia questions coming?
Old 10-17-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm number five I guess. My mom has some "suspicious tissue" with a biopsy pending.
You'll be in my thoughts as well, Trevor.

Originally Posted by Trevor
IAnd on Apartment 143 we had some strong warnings to avoid it earlier in the month.
Originally Posted by Chad
Yes, but today's theme has to do with apartments, not self-torture.
Yeah, I just couldn't help sharing the fact that Netflix had it as a suggestion for me when I got home from the doctor's office today. Too funny. I watched and I didn't think it was so bad. No concrete plot, week ending, annoying actors, odd disappearing accent that fluctuates, and general stupidity maybe, but I kinda liked it. Maybe a middle of the day, unwind with the family type of enjoyment.
Old 10-17-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I watched Blood Creek for the Nazi theme last night and it was interesting seeing Michael Fassbender play an evil Nazi monster who could raise the dead. The film had an interesting premise, I'm fascinated by the thought that the Nazis were into the Occult and black arts; but I feel like the film would have been better with a different director. For a film about Nazi monsters and zombies it was actually pretty bland, and not scary at all.
Old 10-17-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anymore trivia questions coming?
Not to step on Chad's toes, but I wondered the same thing earlier in the week, and research (my sent items folder) told me the second trivia question usually comes the end of week three.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.