Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-12, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Rewatching Mad Love, such a twisted little film. I had to chuckle at Colin Clive's father's sleazy suggestion that Clive's wife become a prostitute: "She could...supplement her income."
Old 10-07-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Just finished Twins of Evil this morning. It's gotten me in the mood for a Hammer Horror day. After the Eagles-Steelers game that is. That will be my horror break for the day.
Old 10-07-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just finished PHANTASM and PHANTASM II...now on to part III!
Old 10-07-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
just finished PHANTASM and PHANTASM II...now on to part III!
Good movies. Only Phantasm I have is IV.
Old 10-07-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The kids staying with me want Rodan movies tonight, so on tap for tonight's movies are Rodan, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, and Invasion of Astro Monster.. Maybe we'll work on kaiju all week long.
Old 10-07-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, just looked up Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, and Invasion of Astro Monster, on IMDB and Allmovie, and neither of those have a horror tag on either site, so changed the lineup for tonight, replaced those two movies with the 1993 Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and Gamera Guardian of the Universe.
Old 10-07-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Yesterday, I finished watching all of the "Treehouse of Horror" episodes that I own on DVD. Watched a documentary about early, silent horror called Kingdom of Shadows. It is in my Kino silent horror box set, and I really enjoyed it. I do wish that there had been a bit more information and a bit less atmosphere building.

Also, I watched Diabolique which was fascinating. I have the Criterion BD, and the film looks amazing. It was quite suspenseful and had me guessing what would happen. After that, I watched Frenzy which I had never seen despite having owned the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpieces collection forever. It was a pretty good film with some disturbing images that were all the more grotesque when paired with a wicked sense of humor. At one point, the killer is bouncing about the back of a truck with a stiff body and cannot keep the dead woman's foot out of his face. Another favorite moment was when a pontificating politician is more concerned with the tie used to strangle a woman than the fact that there has been a murder. Uncomfortably funny!
Old 10-07-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Having a bit of fun with today's theme. My next pick should be a real winner.

Old 10-07-12, 11:19 AM

Tony was another nice surprise. Not that much happens, but it's mostly good because of the lead's performance - I watched an interview with the actor afterwards and was surprised to find that he wasn't an awkward, creepy serial killer
Old 10-07-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching Psycho right now. No matter how many times I see it, it always impresses me. What a classic.

What are folks doing for today's theme? Is it Scream queens, killer women, or a combination of the two?
Old 10-07-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Any suggestions for tonight's theme? I'll do Return of the Living Dead for the subset challenge, but I need something to watch after.
Old 10-07-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Any suggestions for tonight's theme? I'll do Return of the Living Dead for the subset challenge, but I need something to watch after.
I did the entire Slumber Party Massacre series for few reasons outside of the theme topic:
-First written by a feminest
-All three directed by women
-Role reversal with weaker male leads
Old 10-07-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Tony was another nice surprise. Not that much happens, but it's mostly good because of the lead's performance - I watched an interview with the actor afterwards and was surprised to find that he wasn't an awkward, creepy serial killer
I have that DVD on my shelf. I'll have to check it out soon!
Old 10-07-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Caught Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies. It's an Asylum movie and, well, I actually enjoyed the damn thing. Not much more to say there, although it's the only movie I recall that has napping zombies.

That was followed by Matanga: Attack of the Mushroom People. And other than the bad dubbing, this wasn't the cheesefest I was expecting. It's a slow-burning gem of creepiness, atmosphere and claustrophobia. Definitely plan to catch the B&W Japanese version someday.
Old 10-07-12, 12:27 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Submitted a trivia poster answer, the banner this year has some elusive stuff on it. I think today's the deadline for answers.

Tearing through some Val Lewton items with The Leopard Man, which features some nice atmosphere and a cool adversary. Followed by The Ghost Ship, with a more social twist.
Originally Posted by onebyone
What are folks doing for today's theme? Is it Scream queens, killer women, or a combination of the two?
I understood, perhaps incorrectly, just scream queens. I am leaning towards Prom Night with Jamie Lee Curtis here. Also planning on Twins of Evil, the Collinson twins might not be "scream queens" due to limited horror output but they sure were iconic.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-07-12 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I checked out the doc Screaming in High Heals: The Rise and Fall of the Scream Queen Era earlier. Highly recommended as a nice overview focusing mostly on the big 3 DTV Scream Queens of the '80s.
Old 10-07-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by onebyone
Is it Scream queens, killer women, or a combination of the two?
Scream Queens. Although the interpretation of what it takes to achieve that status is apparently pretty lax. I've often seen Patricia Arquette mentioned as one and she only has 3 genre credits to her name. No idea how many films it takes to earn that title or if that's even a determining factor.

Anyway, here's a link for suggestions. And I'm sure there's probably better ones out there. For whatever reason I never updated the theme nights link and it's directing to the Hammer website.
Old 10-07-12, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips & clarification on tonight's theme.

Now, to pick which movie to play... after I use it as an excuse to watch Sorority House Massacre 2 first. I love that movie, and Melissa Moore seems to fit the bill.
Old 10-07-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Submitted a trivia poster answer, the banner this year has some elusive stuff on it. I think today's the deadline for answers.
Actually, I'm keeping this open one 3 days this year and the deadline is Monday night at 9PM EST. And what's up with the lack of responses this year? Sure there's a few more images, but I up the count every year. Nothing new there. I honestly even made an effort to include more recognizable images from mainstream movies in this one.

Also, I forget to mention that one image is taken from a film that's not in the horror genre, so I'll accept 54 as being complete. Already it's getting easier.

Originally Posted by Chad

The trivia question.

Yes, I was bluffing earlier - once again it's regarding the banner on the first post just like the previous two years. Only difference is this year its been upped to 55 images (from 16 and 33) that were taken from various horror film posters. I'm asking you to name the movies said images are taken from.

For the lazy:

Spoiler:

Hints:
1. A few images are not from a film poster and thus do not count.
2. Some films have multiple images.
3. Occasionally a film's foreign poster is used.
4. Some images have been slightly altered.
5. Things are not always as they seem. Look closer.

The person with the most correct answers wins. Ties will be settled by Random.org.

Submit your entries to me via email (click my username followed by 'Send email to Chad'). Please don't PM me. I'm not a premium member any more and my inbox limit is less than last year, although I'll still accept them if it does accidentally happen.

Will Undeadcow make this his 3rd consecutive win? Will the fact the banner's been up since August 16 make any difference whatsoever? We'll see.

You're playing for The Hammer Vault:

Featuring exclusive contributions from the actors and filmmakers associated with the company, this is the most lavish volume ever published on the legendary House of Horror. Includes annotated script pages, unused poster artwork, production designs, rare promotional material, and more. Fully illustrated, most in color. 176 pages. Size 12½ x 9¾ inches. Published by Titan.

Courtesy of...

Contest is open for 3 days.

Good luck.

Old 10-07-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, History Channel really straying from its roots but, hey, we horror fans win. Found this Zombie Doc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbVH__mc998
Old 10-07-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sick in bed. Time to watch the entire Godzilla catalogue. Daikaiju or bust.

Last edited by Whiskey Warfield; 10-07-12 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

caught Juan of the Dead today really enjoyed this glad i picked it up.

not sure what im gonna watch for todays theme, but it felt wierd sleeping in today and watching football.
Old 10-07-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Caught Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies. It's an Asylum movie and, well, I actually enjoyed the damn thing. Not much more to say there, although it's the only movie I recall that has napping zombies.
So many of you have spoken well of this one I may have to hunt down a copy...
That was followed by Matanga: Attack of the Mushroom People. And other than the bad dubbing, this wasn't the cheesefest I was expecting. It's a slow-burning gem of creepiness, atmosphere and claustrophobia. Definitely plan to catch the B&W Japanese version someday.
I highly recommend doing just that. I've only seen the Japanese version and it's very good. It's what I have tentitavely selected for J-Horror this year. Like you, I was surprised it wasn't a cheesefest.
Old 10-07-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I really enjoyed it. I think I might even like it better than the original, which is a favorite of mine, though there are things I think the original does better.

What did you like better in the original?
Old 10-07-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm working on the trivia thing. It's pretty tough, but I'm taking a shot? 55 images! Damn, I haven't cracked 20 yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.