3rd Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 3rd Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Maybe it is because I am old school and I grew up with cel animated cartoons, but I prefer that kind of animation to a total cgi cartoon.
You're not alone.

On a similar note, while I was never really into comics as a kid, I did have a few. Back then, people were drawn to look like people instead of the weird mutants they look like now. They all look awful to me.
Old 08-27-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Decided to take a short break from Robotech tonight to watch the original 1933 King Kong.
How is Robotech? I tried reading one of the books and never finished it. Later on, I've seen a couple of the Evangelion films and some Manzinger Z episodes and they all seem to start out the same way. Some kid that doesn't normally drive a robot/mech-thing, somehow ends up in one and ends up having a bunch of talent and the good side tries to get them to join but they usually don't want to at first. Later on the bad guys are such bad dudes that they end up forcing the kid to pilot whatever thing he drives.

Then if it's an Evangelion movie, after the bad guys lose, everything gets weird and the movie ends.
Old 08-27-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been wanting to watch Challenge of the Superfriends again, but I can't seem to locate disc 1 as it wasn't in the case. Does anyone else hate it when you want to watch something but can't locate it?
I hate that so much! I have the unfortunate tendency to put discs in the handiest case, especially when involved in a marathon. Currently, I can't find a disc from The Muppet Show: Season Two. I've curbed the problem by keeping discs that I'm watching in a CD holder. Keeps me organized.

Maybe it is because I am old school and I grew up with cel animated cartoons, but I prefer that kind of animation to a total cgi cartoon.
I also prefer cel animate cartoons, especially when it comes to television. While film CGI is often beauty, television CGI often looks a bit amateurish to me. Shows such as the newest Speed Racer and Jimmy Neutron don't seem as polished and are often ugly compared with the animation of something like Avatar: The Last Airbender or the many Batman incarnations.

I've slowed down my viewing due to school starting. I'm rewatching The Critic, one of my all time favorites that only gets better every time I watch it. I'm also watching Gunslinger Girl, an anime about a shadowy Italian agency that utilizes cyborg girls to pull off assassinations. The show delves into the ways violence effects those who perpetrate it. Great, elegant stuff!
Old 08-27-12, 03:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I've been wanting to watch Challenge of the Superfriends again, but I can't seem to locate disc 1 as it wasn't in the case. Does anyone else hate it when you want to watch something but can't locate it?
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
It's rare that it happens to me, but I do remember an instance a year or two ago when I took a disc out and for some reason the case wasn't nearby. Rather than leave it out loose, I put it in another case with another DVD. The missing case didn't show up for several weeks (think it found its way under the couch or something). By then, I forgot where I put the loose disc. I didn't fret too much about it, but it does bug me slightly that somewhere in my collection, I have a case with 2 DVDs and another one that's empty. Hopefully, I'll come across the one with 2 discs first.
I do that occasionally, and with all the re-organizing and moving that I do, I probably have at least 5 of these examples.

Also, about a year ago I found 20 DVD cases missing the discs in one corner, with no clue where the discs are. I imagine they are all in a 20 disc binder and I pulled them for a Challenge or to lend out, but even while looking for it during the move I can't find them.
Old 08-27-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Yes... *especially* when the disk was in hand "just a minute ago"...

I did that once with a CD insert (thought I laid it on top of a bookshelf) and *never* found it.
Old 08-27-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
How is Robotech? I tried reading one of the books and never finished it. Later on, I've seen a couple of the Evangelion films and some Manzinger Z episodes and they all seem to start out the same way. Some kid that doesn't normally drive a robot/mech-thing, somehow ends up in one and ends up having a bunch of talent and the good side tries to get them to join but they usually don't want to at first. Later on the bad guys are such bad dudes that they end up forcing the kid to pilot whatever thing he drives.

Then if it's an Evangelion movie, after the bad guys lose, everything gets weird and the movie ends.

I enjoy Robotech. It is a show I enjoyed as a kid growing up in the 80s, so it reminds me of the carefree days watching Saturday Morning cartoons. Unlike Voltron which was so heavilly edited that all deaths were edited out, Robotech actually was not afraid to shy away from the idea of death in war. Two of the Robotech main characters actually died during the course of the Macross saga. The books are fairly close to the series, except for the whole idea of runing the Veritechs with your thoughts. That was an invention of the books.
Old 08-27-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finally located disc 1 of Challenge of the Superfriends. It was hidden almost in plain sight, underneath a box on my coffee table. So started watching that again, and on Wed. I have two more Superfriends DVD sets coming. Legendary Super Powers Show, and Galactic Guardians.
Old 08-27-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoy Robotech. It is a show I enjoyed as a kid growing up in the 80s, so it reminds me of the carefree days watching Saturday Morning cartoons. Unlike Voltron which was so heavilly edited that all deaths were edited out, Robotech actually was not afraid to shy away from the idea of death in war. Two of the Robotech main characters actually died during the course of the Macross saga. The books are fairly close to the series, except for the whole idea of runing the Veritechs with your thoughts. That was an invention of the books.
I don't think we ever had Robotech over here. I remember Voltron, Tranzor Z(which I loved), and some third one I can't remember any details about except there was some large and long mothership that we all used to draw in early grade school.
Old 08-27-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think we ever had Robotech over here. I remember Voltron, Tranzor Z(which I loved), and some third one I can't remember any details about except there was some large and long mothership that we all used to draw in early grade school.

Star Blazers?
Old 08-27-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Been watching some TV animation. For Better or For Worse-based on the comic strip. I enjoy the comic and since this was almost like a longer version of it, enjoyed the DVD.

Also been watching a guilty pleasure...Drawn Together. I almost hate to admit it as it is so bad. This is one of those shows that I rarely admit that I enjoy, it's so bad. But that's almost why I like it. It's no holds barred. No one is safe from being ridiculed...If there is another show that's worse I wouldn't want to see it as I think this one goes too far some times.

Any other guilty pleasures out there?
Old 08-27-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
Been watching some TV animation. For Better or For Worse-based on the comic strip. I enjoy the comic and since this was almost like a longer version of it, enjoyed the DVD.

Also been watching a guilty pleasure...Drawn Together. I almost hate to admit it as it is so bad. This is one of those shows that I rarely admit that I enjoy, it's so bad. But that's almost why I like it. It's no holds barred. No one is safe from being ridiculed...If there is another show that's worse I wouldn't want to see it as I think this one goes too far some times.

Any other guilty pleasures out there?
I enjoy My Little Pony Friendship is magic. There I said it.
Old 08-28-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At least you admit to being a Brony!
Old 08-28-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LJG765, I sent your sci-fi prize out yesterday. Sorry for the delay.

I realized I'm not going to finish volume 1 of Garfield and Friends. It's not that it's bad, I've just been spending after work time cataloging and putting all my new DVDs and blu-rays on shelves. I haven't done it for about 6 months, so stuff was piling up all over. I started a couple weekends ago and worked on one letter per day, except for last Friday and Saturday, where I spent most of the day working on it and half of Sunday.

Still not done yet. All the DVDs are done(except for the third stray I've found and the couple that showed up in the mail yesterday) and I've up to the 'G's of my blu-rays, minus the 3 I bought last night that start with 'B'.

After I get that stuff done, I get dinner and then watch Family Guy DVDs. I've been getting 3 in before I pass out for the night.
Old 08-28-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I enjoy My Little Pony Friendship is magic. There I said it.
Bronies unite!

LJG765, Drawn Together is one of my guilty pleasures too. I'm also a Disney television junkie and Veggie Tales fan.

I intended to use the challenge to get through some of my unwatched box sets. However, I spent most of my time rewatching Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?, Fullmetal Alchemist, and now The Critic. Curse you, awesome television shows!
Old 08-28-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

How is Robotech? I tried reading one of the books and never finished it.
Robotech was crafted from three separate Japanese series into one 85-episode series with three distinct story arcs. The Robotech books were written in America long after the fact. Robotech has a real science fiction plot that's just too complicated to try and summarize here. (I'm sure you could find something on Wikipedia.) Rick Hunter, Lisa Hayes and Lynn Minmei, the protagonists of the first story arc, are genuinely interesting and compelling characters.

As giant robot anime series go, I still think Mobile Suit Gundam is the gold standard.
Old 08-28-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

LJG765, I sent your sci-fi prize out yesterday. Sorry for the delay.
It's ok, I've been focusing on the animation so I haven't missed it. I'll keep an eye out for it, though!

Didn't get much watching in today. Maybe I'll be able to later tonight-want to work more on the Animaniacs. I watched a disc last night. There are some funny bits in it but it's not quite as fun as I remember.
Old 08-30-12, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Just finished re-watching Pinocchio. Here's my review on Letterboxd:

I remember very clearly seeing this in a theater. Wikipedia tells me Disney re-released it in 1984, which may have been when was taken to see it, though I feel that my brother was there and he would have been an infant at the time so it seems unlikely. Yet it seems the next reissue wasn't until 1992. It's possible that was the screening (my brother would have been 9), but that doesn't seem quite right either. In any event, I am confident that I haven't seen it at all in the last 17 years and perhaps not at all since that theatrical screening (whenever it was), though it seems pretty likely I did see it on home video or in a TV broadcast at some other point.

There is some measure of irony that I should re-watch Pinocchio on the cusp of Mitt Romney's appearance at the 2012 Republican National Convention. Romney, of course, has been characterized as "wooden" for years and I couldn't help but chuckle at the idea of the candidate being told by the Blue Fairy that he may one day become a real boy. The film is replete with potential political allegories, including the theme of navigating temptation, being on guard against exploitation and even that whole really freaky scene where exploited boys mutate into donkeys.

Though the film obviously engaged my inner political wonk, I found my attention even more captured by other parts of the film. The animation is nothing short of astounding. I think I favor the work on Dumbo by a hair, but there's no shortage of beautiful work to appreciate here. Check out those cuckoo clocks!

That whole Pleasure Island episode freaked me out as a child and I think it may have actually become even more troublesome to me as an adult. The Coachman was even more sinister this time through than the last time I watched the film. He made me squirm, and as an adult viewer I felt cheated and frankly alarmed that the predator is never apprehended or punished on screen. So far as we know, he's still out there preying on young boys!

It wasn't just that I've become more conscious of the dangers of child predators over the years. I found myself caught up in the emotional turmoil of Geppetto and Pinocchio's need for the parent/child relationship. Watching Geppetto embrace Pinocchio warmed my heart, just as seeing the old man despair at his son's absence broke it.

The episodic structure, inherited from the source material, does show some storytelling seams though I found there's only one jump that didn't work for me and that's the set up for the final set piece where Pinocchio discovers - by letter - that Geppetto has been swallowed by the whale, Monstro. The bridge to that scene is so abrupt and perfunctory that it doesn't feel an organic growth of the story. It's just, "Well, I guess we're off to find a whale."

That's really my only complaint, though, and I think part of why I can't seem to let go of that is that the rest of the film is so rich and meticulous that this one deficiency is distracting in its conspicuousness.
Old 08-30-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Four more hours of animation and I'll have reached three days. Two days to do it, but two really busy days.
Old 08-30-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Just finished re-watching Pinocchio.
One of my favorite statements about Walt Disney is that he believed that every kid's movie should have something scary in it. He believed that kids love to be scared and I think he's right. He gave kids a lot more credit than most adults and I think that was his real secret to success. He made his movies fun and enjoyable to all ages without talking down to anyone. Some scenes of Disney movies have stuck with me until adult hood and most of them are the scary bits. That's the payoff almost-what you wait for to see.

But, he never went too far over the top. A fine line that Disney managed to ride.

Well, two more days to fit in as much watching as I can. I've passed the 4 day mark, and I'd like to add another day to my watch time but I have to sleep sometime!
Old 08-30-12, 11:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

One of my favorite statements about Walt Disney is that he believed that every kid's movie should have something scary in it. He believed that kids love to be scared and I think he's right. He gave kids a lot more credit than most adults and I think that was his real secret to success. He made his movies fun and enjoyable to all ages without talking down to anyone. Some scenes of Disney movies have stuck with me until adult hood and most of them are the scary bits. That's the payoff almost-what you wait for to see.

But, he never went too far over the top. A fine line that Disney managed to ride.

Well, two more days to fit in as much watching as I can. I've passed the 4 day mark, and I'd like to add another day to my watch time but I have to sleep sometime!
yeah it's not good for the noggin if you don't give it some rest - you could go into a seizure, induced coma or something ...

I have a shitload of entries I need to update to my list I think I've hit day four of content.
Old 08-30-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my favorite statements about Walt Disney is that he believed that every kid's movie should have something scary in it. He believed that kids love to be scared and I think he's right. He gave kids a lot more credit than most adults and I think that was his real secret to success.
Growing up, I subscribed to the argument that Disney was for younger kids but that Warner was for sophisticated viewers. Revisiting some of the early Disney features, I've come to see there was a lot more sophistication than I've traditionally credited. There's not much in the way of over-your-head humor to be found, but I see now that it's a mistake to take that as a litmus test of sophistication.

There's nothing in the Warner canon that comes remotely close to what Disney's animators put on the screen. That cuckoo clock scene in Pinocchio alone is jaw-dropping for anyone who understands anything about hand-drawn art. Disney's pictures spoke to the heart, even to the soul, and those were targets that Warner never set to hit. Laugh-for-laugh, Bugs has Mickey beat every day of the week and twice on Sundays, but there's more to storytelling than witticisms.

What I've found particularly striking in the last few years as I've begun to make my way through the Disney canon again is how much of their films I've retained. I wasn't a kid who re-watched Disney movies endlessly. I'm not even entirely sure if I saw Pinocchio at all outside that theatrical screening in either 1984 or 1992. Dumbo? I have very specific emotional memories, of how I felt while watching it, but I have no memories at all about actually watching it. That is, I can't tell you whether I ever saw it on VHS, in school, on TV...it's almost as though I've got amnesia, but my emotions from viewing Dumbo were stored in the same part of my brain as language so they survived.

I'm not even close. There were a cumulative two weeks this month where I didn't even watch a single short film. This is a very deceptive challenge. They can all be grueling, but there's something about this one where I keep hitting a brick wall early. I think it's like trying to have dessert for dinner. I love dessert, and the idea of dessert for dinner is exciting, but even with my demanding sweet tooth, I need other kinds of food in order to offset the sweetness. In concentrate, it's just not nearly as satisfying for me.
Old 08-30-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not even close. There were a cumulative two weeks this month where I didn't even watch a single short film. This is a very deceptive challenge. They can all be grueling, but there's something about this one where I keep hitting a brick wall early. I think it's like trying to have dessert for dinner. I love dessert, and the idea of dessert for dinner is exciting, but even with my demanding sweet tooth, I need other kinds of food in order to offset the sweetness. In concentrate, it's just not nearly as satisfying for me.
I'll clear 2.5 days.

I didn't watch any animated movies this year. There's a limited number of shows that I can watch and just plow through without being bored. Problem is that I have a lot of unwatched stuff that's good for a 2-3 episodes a day. On one hand it's disappointing to have a low view count but I am getting them done.

If I was smart, I would have just started with the 5 volumes of Family Guy I haven't watched yet and easily racked up a ton of time. I have no problem watching that show and since I don't normally watch reruns, I've forgotten most of them, so it's like a new experience again.

I hit brick walls almost every challenge. All it takes is one bad 2 hour movie to drain any desire to watch anything else after that.
Old 08-30-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to add to the discussion on Disney. When I was a kid, I saw as many Disney features in theaters as were re-released (CINDERELLA, SNOW WHITE, PINOCCHIO, PETER PAN, FANTASIA and, in its original release, SLEEPING BEAUTY). None of them really struck a chord with me as a kid, yet when I saw the Russian animated feature, THE SNOW QUEEN, dubbed in English of course (and released not long after SLEEPING BEAUTY), that's the one that made a great impression on me. It was dark, melancholy, and had an emotional power that I didn't see in any other animated movies growing up and that I wouldn't find until I started checking out Japanese animation some 20 years later. In fact, I think it was this film, THE SNOW QUEEN, that planted the seed in me that would seek out anime and plunge into it decades later.

My favorite Disney feature is BAMBI, but I didn't see it until I was an adult. What I liked about it is that the animals are not seen in relation to humans, but only in relation to other animals. And they talk, but they don't sing. Most important, though, is the scene involving the fate of Bambi's mother. It's done very subtly. You never see what happens to her. It's all suggested. Yet, to this day, people will swear up and down that they were traumatized as a child by seeing Bambi's mother get killed. But they didn't see it. It's not in the film. It's implied.

BAMBI was very influential on Japanese animation. Osamu Tezuka says he saw it 80 times in theaters after the war. (I should add that Disney's DUMBO was the very first American film dubbed in Japanese. And I have a VHS tape of SONG OF THE SOUTH--dubbed in Japanese!)
Old 08-30-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Most important, though, is the scene involving the fate of Bambi's mother. It's done very subtly. You never see what happens to her. It's all suggested. Yet, to this day, people will swear up and down that they were traumatized as a child by seeing Bambi's mother get killed. But they didn't see it. It's not in the film. It's implied.
I don't think this is as clever a "gotcha!" moment as you make it out to be. We all know the killing takes place off-screen; seeing it isn't nearly as important as knowing what has happened, and that was upsetting (and rightly so). When we say seeing Bambi's mom killed was traumatizing, we mean watching that scene where she's killed; not that we've invented in our minds the specific imagery of the impact of the bullet. I would have thought that was pretty self-evident.
Old 08-30-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think this is as clever a "gotcha!" moment as you make it out to be. We all know the killing takes place off-screen; seeing it isn't nearly as important as knowing what has happened, and that was upsetting (and rightly so). When we say seeing Bambi's mom killed was traumatizing, we mean watching that scene where she's killed; not that we've invented in our minds the specific imagery of the impact of the bullet. I would have thought that was pretty self-evident.
Exactly. And, what your mind fills in for what you don't see is even more traumatic. It's not like Bambi's mom shows up at the end of the film and Bambi says, "Mother, you're alive!"
Of course, imagine if the original film had Bambi say the famous line from Psycho after his mother was shot, "Mother! Oh God, Mother! Blood! Blood!" Now, that would have traumatized a lot more kids!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.