Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

3rd Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: 3rd Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

I've watched a few Disney cartoons and Tomorrowland episodes for this, so I happened to pull my copy of The Disney Version, by Richard Schickel, off the bookshelf yesterday. I started reading it years ago and for some reason never finished. It turns out to be a really well-written, thought-out piece of social/cultural/animation history. It's what you'd call a critical biography of Disney, with the emphasis on his animation and his success in various innovations, not only technically, but also from a business and marketing sense. How did Disney create his brand? (Although the book, written in 1967, doesn't phrase it that way.) What aspects of Disney's character gave him the drive to succeed in the way he did, a way that few other animators even came close to?

I'm still in the chapter on the pre-production history of SNOW WHITE, but now I want to dig out more of those Walt Disney Treasures box sets and watch them chronologically. I also want to watch my DVDs of SNOW WHITE, PINOCCHIO and BAMBI for this challenge. (My three favorite Disney features.) I have yet to watch the SNOW WHITE and PINOCCHIO DVDs. I last saw those films when I took my daughter to see them in theaters when she was a child. (Her generation is probably the last to have experienced their first screenings of classic Disney films in theaters and not on home video.)

Only a week left in this challenge and so much to see. And, yes, my pace has slackened.
Old 08-23-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

@MinLShaw: I had surgery again a couple weeks ago, this time on my abdomen and I'm still healing up. The last couple days, I've been much better pain wise and may even get to sleep in my own bed soon! But it makes it easy to watch movies/shows as I'm right in front of the tv. I've been watching a lot of South Park and some Jonny Quest on TV--I just DVR them and when I'm bored or whatever, just pop them on. Definitely has made it easy to keep up my time at least! I do have at least one more surgery, most likely two more to go *sigh*, but hopefully by Christmas I'll be all healed up! That's my goal anyway.

@Mr. Peepers: Really? Huh, I looked over a few people's lists but not all and figured I probably was keeping up with others times but now I'm pretty impressed with myself! Especially when I had days I only watched about 20 mins or not at all. I suppose it's a bit easier for me as it's my first animation challenge and rather than have to struggle for watching material, I have everything available. Plus, as you probably read above, I have a lot of free time which definitely helps! And why I'm chatty on these boards, too. I have a lot of free time on my hands and since I'm feeling a lot better (finally!), I'm getting bored and am online a lot.

@Ash: My first memory of going to a an actual movie theater (I'm told I was often taken to drive ins where I slept in the backseat or trunk depending on which car they took), was to Snow White. I was with one of my friends and my aunt took me. I remember having to go to the bathroom halfway through. I must have been 4/5ish at the time...I couldn't tell you any other film I saw in the time period. The next one I remember going to was Return to Oz-I was scared by the wheelers-which also was a Disney film. Disney has always played a huge part in my life, so I'm a bit biased toward the company...

I'm going to have to hunt down a copy of that Disney book. I have watched several documentaries on the company-have you watched the newest three (at least that I know of?); The Sherman Brothers, Waking Sleeping Beauty and Walt & El Groupo? I enjoyed all three and learned quite a bit. I have some of the older ones too such as the Walt Disney Treasures and Walt: The Man Behind the Myth. I find that most of what I watched has one flaw, though, they aren't very critical of Walt Disney and that is always an important side to view-as much as the good side. Reading reviews of the Disney Version, it seems like this may be a good one to read for that view. Thanks for mentioning it!
Old 08-23-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'll be happy if I can make the 1 day mark by the end of the month.
Old 08-23-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Decided to take a short break from Robotech tonight to watch the original 1933 King Kong.
Old 08-24-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Decided to take a short break from Robotech tonight to watch the original 1933 King Kong.
I love that film! Have a poster of it in my living room!

I had a marathon of The Oblongs while looking over lesson plans. It's such a funny show, and I wish that there would have been more episodes. It was one of the short-lived shows (alone with The Critic and Mission Hill that I watched reruns of on Adult Swim.
Old 08-24-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would the puppet action in Reptilicus be enough to count it for the Animation challenge?
Old 08-24-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Off the top of my head and with no memory of the film, other than the cover, I'd say yes because you mentioned they used puppetry. I'm assuming it's the main creature that they do some puppet work with and that's completely acceptable.
Old 08-24-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Getting a little bored with Robotech. I think tomorrow I am going to revisit Challenge of the Superfriends.
Old 08-26-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Geez, is there any animated movie more gorgeous than Kung Fu Panda 2? Maybe Brave when it comes out later this year?
Old 08-26-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Geez, is there any animated movie more gorgeous than Kung Fu Panda 2?
Yeah, ANJU TO ZUSHIOMARU (1961, released in English as THE LITTLEST WARRIOR):

Not to mention: BAMBI (1942) and MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO (1988).

Maybe Brave when it comes out later this year?
Oh, and BRAVE already came out--last month, I believe.
Old 08-26-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Oh, and BRAVE already came out--last month, I believe.
Thanks for correcting me with what I believe is wrong information. Unless you're referring to this one?

Old 08-26-12, 10:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Would the puppet action in Reptilicus be enough to count it for the Animation challenge?

I would consider it as a 'yes'
Old 08-26-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Geez, is there any animated movie more gorgeous than Kung Fu Panda 2? Maybe Brave when it comes out later this year?
I saw Brave in 3D in June. I wasn't impressed by the story, but the animation was admittedly amazing (I adore alliteration!). Merida's hair alone was mesmerizing, but what really wowed me was the texture of water - traditionally, the most glaring deficiency of CGI. It looked far better than animated water has in the past.

That said, I'm still a fan of Disney's Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo for animation. The richness of colors in those two stand out to me just a bit more than in other features. Each background could be a painting worthy of display entirely out of the context of the film.
Old 08-26-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw Brave as well. I didn't see it in 3D, but I don't think I missed too much. I agree with you about Merida's hair-it was very well done, but my favorite bit of animation was some of the background scenes. I remember thinking to myself-is this animation or did they film the location and put it in the film just as they filmed it? Techniques have gotten so advanced now that sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between animation and real life.

Though, I haven't decided if this is a good thing or not. I love the traditional look of animation-bright colors, rounded shapes, I don't know-just the "feel" of it. The newer animation is becoming very real and at what point do you say stop making animation and just make it live action with cgi?

I was watching something fairly recently...Finding Nemo maybe? and the animators were saying how the animators had made the water so realistic that they had to redraw parts because audiences wouldn't believe that it was drawn and not real water.
Old 08-26-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished a short marathon of the Little Mermaid movies-2 dtv and the original Disney one. I think the original holds up quite well over time. I made my 4 year-old nephew watch it for the first time and at first he was thinking it was a girl's movie, but by the end he really got involved in it and for a kid who adores action movies like the Avengers and Star Wars, this was pretty impressive.

As for the other two...well, I can see why they were direct to video. I did like how Ariel was the same voice actress over all three movies, but almost all the others were different people. The sequel, especially, made it hard to follow as Prince Eric's voice, Flouder's voice, the seagull's voice...Especially watching within hours of each other, it made it hard to get into the movie as you were constantly being reminded that they weren't the same as the original.

Also saw a short that was included on the sequel - Merbabies, a Merry Melodies short. Liked the "sea horse donkeys..."
Old 08-26-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for correcting me with what I believe is wrong information.
Go to IMDB's page for BRAVE and check the release date:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217209/

And read MinLShaw's post.
I saw Brave in 3D in June.
And LJG765's post.
I saw Brave as well. I didn't see it in 3D,
Also,
@LJG765:
Also saw a short that was included on the sequel - Merbabies, a Merry Melodies short. Liked the "sea horse donkeys..."
"Merbabies" was a Silly Symphony short from Disney. The Merrie Melodies series, like Looney Tunes, was Warner Bros.
Old 08-26-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Go to IMDB's page for BRAVE and check the release date:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217209/

And read MinLShaw's post.

And LJG765's post.
I thought it was clear that I was referring to home video, though I realize I didn't explicitly say that. I myself saw Brave in theaters but thanks for assuming I'm not smart enough to know that it was already released theatrically.
Old 08-26-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Merbabies" was a Silly Symphony short from Disney. The Merrie Melodies series, like Looney Tunes, was Warner Bros.
Huh, I could swear the title screen had Merrie Melodies on it, but maybe I messed up and it was Silly Symphony. Sorry, I typed after the screen went by, so just went by memory.
Old 08-26-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was clear that I was referring to home video, though I realize I didn't explicitly say that. I myself saw Brave in theaters but thanks for assuming I'm not smart enough to know that it was already released theatrically.
Your post was clear, at least to me. Someone who is into animation (which I assume would be all of us participating in an animation challenge) obviously knows Brave was already out in the theater and that you were referring to the home video release.
Old 08-26-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been wanting to watch Challenge of the Superfriends again, but I can't seem to locate disc 1 as it wasn't in the case. Does anyone else hate it when you want to watch something but can't locate it?
Old 08-27-12, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I've been wanting to watch Challenge of the Superfriends again, but I can't seem to locate disc 1 as it wasn't in the case. Does anyone else hate it when you want to watch something but can't locate it?
Yeah, and I hate it even more because if I can't find it, it means it's something my wife took when she left.

I had a migraine that turned into Ebola yesterday, but somehow I survived and just now I decided to scope out the offerings on Netflix. I came across a Mexican animated film, La leyenda de la llorona, inspired by the legend of the ghost woman who abducts children. Here's my review, as shared on Letterboxd.

SPOILER WARNING FOR ANYONE READING E-MAIL ALERTS

Spoiler:
HOLY DAMN! This is the freakiest thing I've seen since Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Freakier even than What Lies Beneath - and that freaked me out so much that I made my brother pull back the shower curtain before I would get into take my shower the next morning. I was a week away from turning 21.

The premise is based on the Mexican legend of the ghost woman who abducts children in a misguided reaction to the drowning deaths of her own children long ago. As the film opens, we see "La Llorona" abduct the brother of Kika. Enter: Leo San Juan and what appears to be some kind of supernatural, Hispanic Mystery, Inc., summoned to investigate the abductions and find the missing children.

I had heard about "La Llorona" many years ago, but only vaguely. Then last year, she resurfaced as "The Weeping Woman" in the Batwoman comic book, which curiously enough began publication just weeks before this film opened in Mexico. Watching her origin story depicted here in animation was particularly unsettling, and I have to give credit here to both the animators who captured Yoltzin's facial expressions as well as to the truly haunting vocal work. I don't know if the wails were recorded by Rocia Lara (credited as the voice of La Llorona on IMDb) or someone else (IMDb's cast credits are woefully incomplete, and Wikipedia is no help either), but whoever's voice it is made the character absolutely chilling.

I almost began to have the presence of mind to wonder where Kika's mother and any other adults were, and why if the town was so frightened by La Llorona anyone would even allow children to go trick-or-treating by themselves, but before I ever even got that far, I'm watching Don Andres fight off a bizarre version of the Batman villains Scarface & The Ventriloquist AND THEN A HOUSE CAME ALIVE AND STARTED CHASING HIM.

Didn't see that coming.

In fact, I have to admit, I didn't really anticipate much at all after the first 10 minutes because I was so caught up in the sheer creepiness and WTF? factor of this one that I wasn't even sure how it might play out. I mean, when you start with a ghost woman kidnapping children because hers drowned, it's not like there's a particularly low ceiling for morbidity. For all I knew, any and all characters were on the chopping block.

The finale of the film, at the sunken chapel, was quite creepy. Flash animation has its limitations, but this film managed to prove to me that those don't have to interfere with proper storytelling. Then, there's something about swimming to the bottom of an abandoned, half-sunken church to reach the crypts of drowned children that's sufficiently creepy on its own.

There is quite a lot of levity throughout the film, particularly from the dragon/lizard/whatever, Alebrije as well as from Kika. Some of it almost feels inappropriate, as though it's not proper to chuckle in the middle of something so morose as what's taking place, and much of the humor is a bit stilted. Still, it was nice that the storytellers were mindful that the plot was creepy enough on its own and that the film would benefit from an additional element.

I cottoned on early that this was part of a series, and I have to say that I'm eager now to see more from it. This film appealed strongly to the boy in me who loves Scooby-Doo, but also managed to genuinely captivate my attention in the present as an adult.

Incidentally, the subtitles were atrocious. I was reminded of that scene in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country where the Enterprise crew tries to speak Klingon, working on-the-fly to manually translate from books. I have a friend who translates professionally, and I don't know if she would find this hysterical or infuriating.
Old 08-27-12, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it did strike me as odd that you wouldn't have noticed BRAVE when it came out. I'm the one who wasn't smart enough to realize you meant the home video release. Sorry about that.

In my mind, the terms "release" and "come out" are imprinted since childhood as meaning theatrical release, so that's what automatically comes to mind, even though the whole distribution landscape has changed since then. It's hard to get over old patterns of thinking.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-27-12 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-27-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm currently missing:
The Newlydeads
Karate: The Hand of Death

I'm 99% sure I let someone borrow Karate but he claims to not have it. It was cheap enough that I recently reordered it.

I thought I watched Newlydeads for one of the horror challenges and then I left it out and it went somewhere. I just checked my lists and it wasn't there, so I have no clue where it went and I only assume it was in the set when I bought it. I'm pretty sure I saw it at one point but it's another title I can replace for under $10 but it won't fit in my Toxie's Top Ten set, unless it comes in a slim case.

I'm cleaning up my theater room, so I won't completely give up until it's all clean but I think I've already done a good job of searching.
Old 08-27-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

It's rare that it happens to me, but I do remember an instance a year or two ago when I took a disc out and for some reason the case wasn't nearby. Rather than leave it out loose, I put it in another case with another DVD. The missing case didn't show up for several weeks (think it found its way under the couch or something). By then, I forgot where I put the loose disc. I didn't fret too much about it, but it does bug me slightly that somewhere in my collection, I have a case with 2 DVDs and another one that's empty. Hopefully, I'll come across the one with 2 discs first.
Old 08-27-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched my first episode of Green Lantern the Animated Series on Cartoon Network yesterday. While the story was interesting, dealing with Atrocitus and the Red Lanterns, honestly, I didn't care for the animation. Maybe it is because I am old school and I grew up with cel animated cartoons, but I prefer that kind of animation to a total cgi cartoon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.