Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

Sorry, I haven't been able to update the participant's list in the list thread since Wed. because my internet was out. I'll try to have the list up-to-date sometime tonight.
Originally Posted by walletboyniac
Are there some rules I'm supposed to adhere to for "Make Your Own Challenge"? I'm seeing things like '4 episodes = 1 entry'. I came up with semi-vague rules:

Complete two full seasons of the show (52 episodes), plus watch random movies and TV shows that include the stars, guest stars, and anyone associated with the program.
As cardsfan111 said, you can count (or not count) things on your list however you want. Some people like to count more-or-less by hours watched. Others like to count everything watched as one item.
Old 04-27-12, 08:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

Off-topic reply spoilered.
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
The wife already making you throw stuff away? J/K I've thought about doing that for a while as I keep buying yet have no place to put them but I figured I would probably just re-buy them. I don't understand us, even libraries throw books away or sell them.
No, she's understanding, but would prefer less clutter. So making her happy is a big motivation, but not the only one.

Yeah, I don't quite understand it either. I definitely own more than I'll ever possibly use, even if I watched/read my stuff 12 hours a day and lived to be 120.

And even if that is a slight exaggeration, I'm pretty sure I'd rather watch my favorite things multiple times than some of the budget stuff I've accumulated even once.

Much of my "problem" is that the buying and organization process has a huge allure to me, apparently, and I spend so much time on those things that I'm not truly enjoying what I've collected.

I could ramble on for pages, but that's best reserved for the Organization thread or just my mind.
Old 04-27-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Spoiler:

No, she's understanding, but would prefer less clutter. So making her happy is a big motivation, but not the only one.

Yeah, I don't quite understand it either. I definitely own more than I'll ever possibly use, even if I watched/read my stuff 12 hours a day and lived to be 120.

And even if that is a slight exaggeration, I'm pretty sure I'd rather watch my favorite things multiple times than some of the budget stuff I've accumulated even once.

Much of my "proEblem" is that the buying and organization process has a huge allure to me, apparently, and I spend so much time on those things that I'm not truly enjoying what I've collected.

I could ramble on for pages, but that's best reserved for the Organization thread or just my mind.
I sort of called it in post #26. . But good for you, man, if you do weed some of it out. It's a goal of mine too.
Old 04-27-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I had a lot of fun only watching things starting with the letter "L" last year. Probably going to choose a different letter and go with that again. It provided a challenge, but obviously left a great deal of room to mix things up.
Originally Posted by gp1086
Someone mentioned above about doing the letter "L" or another letter. As a spin to that, thinking about doing the ABC challenge. 26 new watch titles - one title per letter A-Z.
If you don't mind, I think I'm going to take your idea and run with it. It will most definitely be a challenge. My goal will be to watch a film and a television show starting with each letter of the alphabet. I've got enough on the unwatched pile (or on the DVR) to qualify for everything with the exception of tv shows starting with "Q" and "Z" (Don't own any Quantum Leap or episodes of Zorro).
Old 04-27-12, 04:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got enough on the unwatched pile (or on the DVR) to qualify for everything with the exception of tv shows starting with "Q" and "Z" (Don't own any Quantum Leap or episodes of Zorro).
They show Quantum Leap on G4, if you get that channel...
Old 04-27-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

...I've got enough on the unwatched pile (or on the DVR) to qualify for everything with the exception of tv shows starting with "Q" and "Z" (Don't own any Quantum Leap or episodes of Zorro).
For "Q" there's also Quark, and Quincy Jones M.E. - at least 1 episode of Quark is on youtube (probably more).

For "Z" there's an episode of Zane Grey Theater available for streaming at the Internet Archive as well as an episode of Zoo Parade with Marlin Perkins.
Old 04-27-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't mind, I think I'm going to take your idea and run with it. It will most definitely be a challenge. My goal will be to watch a film and a television show starting with each letter of the alphabet. I've got enough on the unwatched pile (or on the DVR) to qualify for everything with the exception of tv shows starting with "Q" and "Z" (Don't own any Quantum Leap or episodes of Zorro).
Go for it and good luck!

I wound up just doing a movie starting with the first letter from the phrase "May Mix Up Challenge", so it's now 17 vs 26 I will need to watch since I'm not sure how much time I would've had.
Old 04-29-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm adding horror films to my challenge as well. I've got kids staying with me and they enjoy horror and want to watch horror movies next month.
Old 04-29-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been seriously contemplating fine tuning my film collecting to 20 or so "niches" (Criterions, Godzilla, MST3K, comic book films, etc) and getting rid of a few thousand films and TV series that I bought more because I was (am?) a hoarder and don't really hold a special place in my heart.

But I want to watch everything I bought at least once, so I think I'll use this and the next dozen or so Challenges to watch stuff I might then sell/ donate.

So this May will be my "Stuff I'll Probably Sell After the Challenge Challenge".
Spoiler:

Much of my "problem" is that the buying and organization process has a huge allure to me, apparently, and I spend so much time on those things that I'm not truly enjoying what I've collected.

Since this appears to be relevant to your MYOC theme, there's no need for spoiler tags. Feel free to "ramble on" in this thread all you want.

Seriously, I'm interested in why everyone picked their themes, so post away. Me, I just have a lot of un-listened-to commentaries (mostly films I've watched within the past year for the other Challenges), and this gives me a chance/reason to listen to a bunch of them.
Old 04-29-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I suppose I might get in on this and call it my own Battlestar Galactica challenge....like everything else when it comes to entertainment trends I am totally late to the party and just discovered this awesome show. Now I am watching 3 episodes a night.
Old 04-29-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Seriously, I'm interested in why everyone picked their themes, so post away. Me, I just have a lot of un-listened-to commentaries (mostly films I've watched within the past year for the other Challenges), and this gives me a chance/reason to listen to a bunch of them.
Ditto.

Commentaries have always been my favorite extra and there's a whole pile of them that I've yet to get around to.....Might re-visit a few beloved ones as well.
Old 04-29-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just picked what I wanted to watch and like watching.
Old 04-29-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year I found out about the book series and decided to try my hand at watching all of them. A bad streak of horrible picks and life getting in the way interrupted my progress at around twenty and I never had a chance to get back to it. This is just the sort of thing I needed to force my hand.
Old 04-29-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked the Latin American films as its my favorite "genre" but I have a vested interest since its what I went to school for. The Asian Part this year its because my collection is getting too large so I need to get a move on these.
Old 04-29-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just picked what I wanted to watch and like watching.
Same here. I love musicals, and I have a zillion in my unwatched, or haven't watched in ages, pile.
Old 04-29-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Japanese series - "Queen Millennia" (anime) and "Zatoichi" - live-action.
Old 04-29-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously, I'm interested in why everyone picked their themes, so post away.
My focus is always on unwatched titles in my collection. I just like to use a creative way to go about it.
Old 04-29-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

...Seriously, I'm interested in why everyone picked their themes, so post away. Me, I just have a lot of un-listened-to commentaries (mostly films I've watched within the past year for the other Challenges), and this gives me a chance/reason to listen to a bunch of them.
I'm still very undecided but whatever I settle on will simply be "because I like it". I tend to use this challenge to double up on stuff I'd watch anyway or "enhance" (i.e. further refine/define) one of the others. For example: I *love* "B" sci-fi films from the 50s/60s so I'm considering a "50s sci-fi" theme. I've toyed with a "Classic comedy" (30s/40s/50s *only*) theme - that "Bob Hope" theme I keep mulling over fits within that one for the most part as his better work is from those decades. Then there are several utilizing the many AFI "100 films" lists, the "Only stuff from the unopened pile" challenge (which is typically "business as usual" outside challenges), the "Only films from your year of birth" challenge, the "Screwball comedy" challenge, the "Universal Horror" challenge, the "Classic Comedy Teams" challenge (Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Marx Bros., etc.), the "Vincent Price" challenge, the "Monty Python" challenge, not to mention the many good ideas which have been posted by others.

And it starts *tomorrow night*!
Old 04-29-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I was looking for a creative way to delve into my unwieldy unwatched pile. I have been attempting to read more books this year and thought this would be a good way to watch some great films that motivate me to check out the written word. By choosing to watch film adaptations, I also didn't pigeonhole myself into a certain genre. There are so many different films that will satisfy any changes in mood.
Old 04-30-12, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

I have all kinds of stuff in my unwatched pile, but the TV seasons are the ones that bother me the most, and when they're multiple seasons like Buffy or B5, it's hard to make the time to bulk-watch. The challenge gives me a good excuse, with the added bonus of recording any thoughts in the list thread. I watched the first season of Buffy for the TV challenge, and I might have to pick up the show again for the sci-fi/fantasy and horror challenges.
Old 04-30-12, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I picked the "All Challenges" challenge because it sounded like fun. The DS9 challenge was chosen because I was going to watch the show anyway.
Old 04-30-12, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

these challenges are what makes me go through some of my HUGE backlog. So they are 99% first time viewing.

OT: Davidh777 how did you get your signature to be so small. I've been trying to get mines to be that size or smaller with no luck.
Old 04-30-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
OT: Davidh777 how did you get your signature to be so small. I've been trying to get mines to be that size or smaller with no luck.
Just go with...

[ SIZE="1" ]Your signature goes here[ /SIZE ] without the spaces.

Your signature goes here
Old 04-30-12, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just go with...

[ SIZE="1" ]Your signature goes here[ /SIZE ] without the spaces.

Your signature goes here
thanks. I had it at 1 but for some reason there was an extra size tag I hadn't noticed with a 2. took that out and it worked. thanks.
Old 04-30-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to try to remember to do that again next year.
Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I suppose I might get in on this and call it my own Battlestar Galactica challenge....like everything else when it comes to entertainment trends I am totally late to the party and just discovered this awesome show. Now I am watching 3 episodes a night.
Glad to have you join us again. Since you're watching it anyway, you might as well grab a spot and keep a list.

I've only watched part of the first season of Galactica, but I liked what I saw, so I've picked up used copies when I find them cheap (I have about half of the series now). It'll probably be a while before I'm able to watch it.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Ditto.

Commentaries have always been my favorite extra and there's a whole pile of them that I've yet to get around to.....Might re-visit a few beloved ones as well.
I think there are at least two commentary tracks on most of the DVDs I watched last May, so I may be doing commentaries again next year.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
And it starts *tomorrow night*!
I may not start until tomorrow evening. It depends on when I hit 100 for the Drive-in Challenge.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.