Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts
Re: The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

Originally Posted by Trevor
You get a virtual high five from Jen for that one.

I do want to try to get her and maybe our daughter involved in this one, so perhaps I'll work with them to come up with a family-friendly viewing plan.

Perhaps a Disney or Goosebumps marathon.
You could do a "Finally Watch from the Unwatched Pile so I Can Get Rid of It, but Realize I Still Can't" challenge.
Old 04-17-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Don't forget--it's only four years till the 50th anniversary of Trek's premiere broadcast. You may want to save some material for then.
if I still haven't finished watching Trek by then, stick a fork in me, I'm done!
Old 04-17-12, 03:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm gonna do what I did for the first challenge and do a music themed challenge.
Old 04-17-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Current idea is to do an IMDB genre challenge. 12 genres that I selected - 1 film each which is a new watch. These must be either one I have at home (on DVD, BD, or recorded from HBO/Showtime) or available on Netflix streaming.

Other idea I had is to do "x degrees to Actor/Actress and back". Basically I choose an actor for the first movie (i.e. Tom Cruise in Minority Report), then I choose a co-star from that movie (i.e. Max von Sydow in Minority Report) and watch a movie they were in (i.e. Max von Sydow in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close). I keep going through, and eventually end my list with a new Tom Cruise movie that has a co-star linked back to the second-to-last movie I watched.

Either way, challenge will be all new watches for me since I have a lot of stuff I want to see.
Old 04-17-12, 04:55 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I am soooo looking forward to this challenge but have noooo idea what I'm gonna do.
Old 04-17-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm really torn. I have so much left over from the last three challenges I participated in that I'm tempted to do more TV episodes or more action/adventure/crime/B-movie/exploitation. Plus I have tons of anime I have to get through. I have renewed enthusiasm for Shaw Bros. movies and have about 150 unwatched ones in my collection. Plus Japanese live-action series like Ultraman, Lone Wolf & Cub, Zatoichi and Space Sheriff Gavan. Plus I have over a dozen serials.

There's a sprinkling of Hollywood classics I've never seen. I might do a series of unseen works by my favorite directors, both Hollywood and Asian: there's one Billy Wilder I've never seen, a Fritz Lang or two, two by Robert Aldrich, a few by Hitchcock, an Anthony Mann, a bunch of early Fords, quite a few Kurosawas and Ozus...a handful of Chang Chehs, a few by Kinji Fukasaku...see? It just gets out of hand. What do I do?

I'm tempted to just start a TV series, anime or Japanese live-action, and keep at it until I finish it and then start another one and stay with that until I finish it. And see how many I can get through during the month. Last year it was all Japanese TV series, but I mixed live-action and anime and don't recall how many series I finished, if any, and I can't find my list from last year.
Old 04-17-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May Challenge 2012: 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.

Goal, to knock off as many as possible. Good luck to me.
Old 04-18-12, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
@Trevor
I figured you'd (have to) go with a "Watching What My Wife Tells Me I Can Watch" Challenge.
That's pretty much the rest of the year, here.
Old 04-18-12, 09:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
I am soooo looking forward to this challenge but have noooo idea what I'm gonna do.
Same here so far.

One year I want to watch one film from every year of film history, beginning with 1888 or whatever, chronologically. Even if I pick all shorts, it will still be difficult and time consuming to track down, obtain, and watch 125 items.

Not sure if I have the time for that project this year, and none of you better steal the idea!
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
That's pretty much the rest of the year, here.
I interpret this to mean that you get one month a year (April?) to watch whatever and however many you want. Correct?
Old 04-18-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If it were me, I'd probably do Asian. Or split the month in two and do Asian to start and then switch halfway through to avoid burnout.
Maybe I will probably do Asian and Latin as these are my two biggest backlogs. I'll just have to adjust my rules to comply with the two.
Old 04-18-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll play I'll be doing a Foreign Cinema Challenge. hope to improve upon last year's tally.

Last edited by InnocentBlood; 04-23-12 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-18-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Hmm ... Considering participating in my first non-horror challenge. I might just go with a basic unwatched movie challenge. Between Blu-rays, DVDs and my DVR, I've got plenty to choose from.
Old 04-20-12, 07:29 PM

Got it! I am going to do an All Challenges Challenge. I'll watch something from each challenge we have, it'll be like fitting a whole year of challenges into a month. Question is do I start with the calendar year or do I start with the challenge that brought me here, the Horror challenge?
Old 04-20-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd start with the calendar year. Are you just going to keep looping when you get to the last challenge?
Old 04-20-12, 08:09 PM

I'd start with the calendar year. Are you just going to keep looping when you get to the last challenge?
Yeah, would like to get at least 2 of each in for the month.
Old 04-20-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Got it! I am going to do an All Challenges Challenge. I'll watch something from each challenge we have, it'll be like fitting a whole year of challenges into a month. Question is do I start with the calendar year or do I start with the challenge that brought me here, the Horror challenge?
Cool idea! I agree with Mister Peepers - use the calendar year. You should shoot for 3 loops as several challenges allow for shorter TV content and therefore you get a reduced time commitment. That should work out to only 1 "film" per day by combining TV content with a film on those challenges which support the TV option in a shorter fashion and those where *anything*, regardless of length, counts as "1" entry. Of course when you consider many of the participants in the Horror Challenge are "hard core" viewers you *must* watch 2 films per loop on that one as it's the one that brought you here.
Old 04-20-12, 10:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Brilliant.

Personally, I'd have to go chronologically. Don't forget the Leap Day Challenge, though perhaps for that one only watch a quarter of a qualifying episode.
Old 04-20-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Great idea. From the praise it has received, I wonder how many people are now thinking of an All Challenges Challenge?
Old 04-20-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My roommate and I are debating between an "unwatched" pilot or "films from growing up" (1992-2002)
Old 04-20-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
My roommate and I are debating between an "unwatched" pilot or "films from growing up" (1992-2002)
Maybe a mix of both? Films from growing up is always fun, but you don't get any new watches that way.
Old 04-21-12, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Hmm ... Considering participating in my first non-horror challenge. I might just go with a basic unwatched movie challenge. Between Blu-rays, DVDs and my DVR, I've got plenty to choose from.
Welcome aboard.
So, are you planning to watch winter holiday movies, or May holiday films (Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day, etc.)?
Originally Posted by gp1086
Maybe a mix of both? Films from growing up is always fun, but you don't get any new watches that way.
Since I'm doing commentaries, none of my films will be FTVs (just first time listens). That's a first for me.
Old 04-21-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
if I still haven't finished watching Trek by then, stick a fork in me, I'm done!
I may still be at it! I'm in season three of TNG, but I keep getting distracted by other things so the going is slow. Good luck with your viewing!

I have settled on doing an "adapted from literature" challenge. It will give me a chance to watch the first seasons A Game of Thrones and The Vampire Diaries. (My definition of "literature" is loose.) I also hope to finally dive in my Rumpole of the Bailey box set.

Originally Posted by Screwadu
May Challenge 2012: 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.

Goal, to knock off as many as possible. Good luck to me.
Cool idea! I have been listening to music featured in 1001 Albums You Must Listen To Before You Die and have been exposed to a lot of great music that I would not have sought out myself. I hope you have a similar experience with your project. Have you started going through the book?
Old 04-21-12, 08:55 AM

So I'll try and get through 2 to 3 from each of the year's challenges. I was bummed I missed the Leap Day Challenge, so this is my way of honoring the idea of it by going back in time and watching The Final Countdown. I'll stick with the winter holidays for the Holiday Challenge, probably watch a "Slapgivings" episode of How I Met Your Mother or something.
Old 04-21-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Brilliant.

Personally, I'd have to go chronologically. Don't forget the Leap Day Challenge, though perhaps for that one only watch a quarter of a qualifying episode.
No, for the Leap Day Challenge you only watch things for it every 4th loop through a year of challenges.
Old 04-22-12, 01:04 AM

After the last two nights with "The Darkest Hour" and "Melancholia," and seeing how it is 2012, I may go with an End of the World theme. Alien invasions, plagues, things crashing into Earth, pre- and post-nuclear apocalpyse, zombies, and anything else I can think of.

Last edited by zaphod2467; 04-22-12 at 01:09 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.