DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is Your Collection Too Huge ?

Old 02-21-12, 04:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Is Your Collection Too Huge ?

My wife, family, and almost everyone I know say YES; but if I had the space I'd want to own almost every mainstream film.
Old 02-21-12, 06:49 PM

I own about 1300 titles and I don't think it is excessive. The key is to be patient and buy them at the best possible price. This helps to minimize losses, or even profit, if and when a title is later unwanted/unneeded and sold. Also, it helps to sell/trade off digital/DVD copies included in BR sets as well to fund the craze.

Also, it is important to keep your collection in constant view, and not box or hide them somewhere, so as to be constantly tempted and get the most out of your collection by repeat viewings.
Old 02-21-12, 09:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by smirnoffski View Post
Also, it is important to keep your collection in constant view, and not box or hide them somewhere...
I agree wholeheartedly. The moment I have to box up my DVDs or hide them away in sleeves because I don't care if they're visible to me anymore, is the day I need to get rid of my collection. I hope that day never arrives.

I also feel that if space ever becomes that much of a consideration that I need to box up my DVDs or hide them away in sleeves, I think I'll need to re-evaluate my Collection, and myself as it pertains to said Collection.

Just my personal feelings, -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 02-22-12 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-22-12, 07:34 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by smirnoffski View Post
Also, it is important to keep your collection in constant view,...so as to be constantly tempted and get the most out of your collection by repeat viewings.
That's one of the best things about Owning DVDs. "Reruns" are under your own schedule, since after you finish watching a DVD, YOU GET TO KEEP IT!
Old 02-23-12, 06:31 PM

I just passed the 2,900 mark and my girlfriend was looking through my collection and said I don't have anything to watch and need to get so new movies, so with a girlfriend like her I know my collection is evidently to small
Old 02-23-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^That or her taste in film is vastly different than yours...
Old 02-23-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by MR Round View Post
so with a girlfriend like her I know my collection is evidently to small
Dude, she wasn't talking about your movie collection
Old 02-26-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. The moment I have to box up my DVDs or hide them away in sleeves because I don't care if they're visible to me anymore, is the day I need to get rid of my collection. I hope that day never arrives.

I also feel that if space ever becomes that much of a consideration that I need to box up my DVDs or hide them away in sleeves, I think I'll need to re-evaluate my Collection, and myself as it pertains to said Collection.

Just my personal feelings, -kd5-
For me I just like taking up less space, having movies in cases on a wall is just not appealing to me anymore. I want the content in the highest quality, seeing it is not really required for me.
Old 02-26-12, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm at roughly 1,000 Blu-rays and HD-DVDs.
Old 02-26-12, 08:20 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
For me I just like taking up less space, having movies in cases on a wall is just not appealing to me anymore. I want the content in the highest quality, seeing it is not really required for me.
I hope I never get to that point. I'm proud of my collection, I want to be able to walk up to it, browse through it (if I feel like it), I like how they look in the 2 bookcases I have for them. I like to be able to pull one out, open it up, look through the inserts if I feel like it, I would hate to hide them away somewhere. Of course only having as many as I do, I'm not so concerned about space, and yet I have pretty much (almost) all the DVDs I've ever wanted, they're not bulging at the seams trying to spread out into every room, and onto every surface and corner (my wife would never allow that). I just hope I never get to the point where being able to view my DVDs (in all their splendor) is not appealing to me anymore. -kd5-
Old 02-26-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who has the most laserdiscs? I'm guessing I have about 230. Been buying alot of music laserdiscs lately. Own 32 of those.

Also ,who has the most music dvds? I have 165(39 unwatched).

Do you count something as part of your collection,if it hasn't been viewed?
Old 02-26-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I do. If I had a million movies but never watched one, how could I say I don't have a collection?
Old 02-26-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I hope I never get to that point. I'm proud of my collection, I want to be able to walk up to it, browse through it (if I feel like it), I like how they look in the 2 bookcases I have for them. I like to be able to pull one out, open it up, look through the inserts if I feel like it, I would hate to hide them away somewhere. Of course only having as many as I do, I'm not so concerned about space, and yet I have pretty much (almost) all the DVDs I've ever wanted, they're not bulging at the seams trying to spread out into every room, and onto every surface and corner (my wife would never allow that). I just hope I never get to the point where being able to view my DVDs (in all their splendor) is not appealing to me anymore. -kd5-
I understand that appear, people love their collection and want to see it. It was a couple things that make me change, once I changed it then moved it back to cases and then moved to to hanging file style cases again and now perfectly fine with that system. Another thing I had to do was always have new cases on hang for used films and or new films that had messed up cases. (Like glue on the spin)

I do have a couple complete collections that would look fine being displayed. For a side collection matter would be comics, having boxes and boxes of comics is not appealing, now a bookshelf, yes, digital you could download would be fine. (Saves space)

Not touching digital downloads of movies, twice the cost for half the quality. No thanks.

Last edited by Xiroteus; 02-26-12 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-26-12, 05:43 PM
Banned

Hanging cases ?
Old 02-26-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Hanging cases ?
I made an edit in the original post.

Hanging file style cases from Meritline.
Old 02-28-12, 03:19 PM

My hubby says yes and sometimes I agree with him but it hasn't stopped me from buying!! I think I have a bout 1,200 titles. Maybe more. I honestly have no clue. I do know that half are unwatched.
Old 02-28-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also ,who has the most music dvds? I have 165(39 unwatched).
Don't have a count but I have a lot of them. Really love 'em but rarely something I feel compelled to break out and watch. Maybe if it were a challenge...

Of course. If not, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.
Old 02-08-19, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
My wife says "Yes!!!". I say "No!!!". I don't trust "cloud" services to provide what I want when I want it at a "reasonable" price. I'd rather own what I like. I've done it all my life with books, music, and movies. I do a fair share of impulse/blind-buy purchasing due to low prices but the vast majority of my collection consists of titles I'd watch again if I didn't have so much unopened stuff to get through first.
I can agree with you on that. My wife thinks I'm crazy for buying so many movies and not even opening some of them. We just started using MoviePro to make a digital list of my collection. I have over 1500 blurays in cases so those were easy, but my 15000+ DVDs in binders are taking some time. I've bought a duplicate dvd multiple times because it takes hours to go through 25+ binders trying to find a specific movie. We are entering the movies in under binder numbers though so once we get done I'll know what I have and where it's at again.
Old 02-08-19, 06:56 PM

yes, and it's getting out of control since I have no organizational skills whatsoever.
Old 02-08-19, 10:06 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's weird reading my post in this thread from 2012, I had 589 DVDs back then, now I have almost 1300 DVDs and BDs, had to add 2 bookcases to the 2 I had back then. I've pruned a few I really didn't care all that much about, current count is 1265 (counting TV seasons as 1). I don't think my collection is too huge but I'd want to keep it to movies and TV shows I know that I'll want to re-watch. Most of them I've seen 3 times (some more than that), cycling through the collection over the last 10 years or so.
Old 02-08-19, 11:29 PM

i have about 8,900 movies and i know realistically i probably wont get to them all and my tastes will change over time but I keep adding too it because theres so many movies that look interesting to watch. If i watch one i really dont like I get rid of it. I dont think my collection is too big overall. when i get to the point i cant remember what i own then it will be i think.
Old 02-09-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't imagine having 15,000 DVDs. I plateaued around 500-600, and it seems like a lot. I think I only bought three titles in the last two years. Most recent was the Emma Peel Avengers set. It's taking a long time to watch just that at a pace of three hours a week.