DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is Your Collection Too Huge ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Is Your Collection Too Huge ?

Yes! I have around 1,300 titles total.

I re-watch as much as I can, but between social life, work and classes, I don't get as much movie watching time as my collection might give off.
Old 01-29-12, 02:44 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Pretty much the same here but add hunting and fishing. Every time my wife complains I remind her I do *neither* of those very expensive hobbies and spend far less on books/music/movies than those guys spend on supplies alone.
I had an ex say something to me once, but she smoked like a pack a day, so I did the old, "Hi, leg warehouse? Yeah, my girlfriend needs something to stand on."
Old 01-29-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I think mine is sized just about right. I'm at the point where I have the majority of what I want and am either waiting for the few I don't have to be released or a good deal on the few I'm missing that are older.

I'm a big believer in that while having digital copies and whatnot may be convenient, having the hard copy in my hand is a lot more reliable. For one, if the movie goes out of print or unavailable, I still have it to watch. Two, I don't have to rebuy unless I really, really want to double dip. Three, by having a hard copy, I always have access to it. While internet is pretty reliable, in the last month, I've had two outages because of the company that have lasted at least a day. While I couldn't access online, I still had access to my dvds. And no, I don't live in the boonies.

I get a lot of people who think I had too many, but I just point out that that is what I collect, I don't pay full price for any of them and they spend just as much, if not more, on other stuff.

I have a lot of people that just assume I have everything and get surprised when I say I don't.

I do have a lot that I haven't watched, though a great majority of them I've seen, just not on DVD. I've been catching up this winter on a lot of them, but still have a big unwatched pile; mainly tv. But the nice thing is, I'm never without something new to watch! I do rewatch a lot as well. While I try to watch the unwatched pile, if I'm in a mood to watch a favorite I will. I find that if I'm in the mood to rewatch something, I'd better otherwise I won't watch anything as it's too hard to pick out something I'm not in the mood for.
Old 01-29-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think its too huge. I think that's where a collection would be too large. If you have to put some in storage.
Old 01-29-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've bought the same thing by mistake a couple times, especially with TV season sets if they have a good amount of seasons already out there like Simpsons or South Park. I can't remember what all the covers look like and if I'm at the store and run across a good sale, I'll pick it up just in case.

I've only done it with one movie, Pete's Dragon.

I also have some things that I'm not sure if I've seen or not and the only way I can tell is by keeping my movie db updated.

Including VHS, DVD, blu-ray, I'm over 13,000 titles. I never got rid of any until about a month ago when I started selling off anything I've upgraded, either to a better DVD edition or from DVD to blu-ray. It's surprised me how much has just been adding up over the years and even though I still have a sizable stack I'm trying to get rid of, I've still manage to get around $1,100 from selling some of it at Amazon this month.
Old 01-29-12, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Not compared to people around here.

3,000 titles? Meh. A drop in the bucket considering I've been collecting since 1998.
Old 01-29-12, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Not compared to people around here.

3,000 titles? Meh. A drop in the bucket considering I've been collecting since 1998.
Yeah, I started in 1999, so while I know I have a lot compared to the average person, I feel like I have to remind people that I didn't amass my collection overnight. It's essentially about 386/year, which now that I break it down to ~32/month, now it seems like a lot again. Oh well. :-/
Old 01-29-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I started in early 2005 (finally at a price point I was comfortable with) and I am not sure I want to know how much I have spent over the last few years. However, we also spend money on internet, cable, phone etc... and those are just services that we cannot keep.
Old 01-30-12, 11:31 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I obtained my first DVDs as Christmas Gifts in 2002. I didn't really begin collecting until October of 2006. Looking back I sometimes find it hard to believe I've gone as far as I have, but I did!
Old 02-02-12, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the available space, yes, it's too huge. I'm almost at the 2,000 title mark. Mentally, I can imagine the worthiness and wonderfulness of each one in my collection. They all have a place. I've been collecting stuff all my life: action figures, video games, books, magazines - which don't mean as much to me anymore; so maybe I'll get rid of them to make room for more DVDs and Blus.
Old 02-02-12, 01:45 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. Even though I sold off 1500 DVDs/Blu-rays and was down to 1000, I've been going back to my old ways lately and buying everything I even remotely want. But after working hard 40 hours a week and not having anything else to spend money on, I'm okay with it.

We are currently looking at houses to buy, I've sold my shelving and everything is in rubbermaid tubs in the bedroom - sadly as of late I haven't had much time to watch anything, so I basically buy blu-rays/dvds and just pack them away, stupid, yes - but oh well.
Old 02-02-12, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by smurr05
Yes, Yes, and Yes...driving my wife CRAZY!
ditto
Old 02-02-12, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by bse
Yes. Even though I sold off 1500 DVDs/Blu-rays and was down to 1000, I've been going back to my old ways lately and buying everything I even remotely want. But after working hard 40 hours a week and not having anything else to spend money on, I'm okay with it.

We are currently looking at houses to buy, I've sold my shelving and everything is in rubbermaid tubs in the bedroom - sadly as of late I haven't had much time to watch anything, so I basically buy blu-rays/dvds and just pack them away, stupid, yes - but oh well.
Not if the deal is good. I have many DVDs I haven't watched and most of them I don't regret buying because I bought when the sale was there. Some I have even sold because the DVD became OOP and there are few movies that are worth $50 to me, especially if they were initially a blind buy.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I've bought the same thing by mistake a couple times, especially with TV season sets if they have a good amount of seasons already out there like Simpsons or South Park. I can't remember what all the covers look like and if I'm at the store and run across a good sale, I'll pick it up just in case.

I've only done it with one movie, Pete's Dragon.

I also have some things that I'm not sure if I've seen or not and the only way I can tell is by keeping my movie db updated.

Including VHS, DVD, blu-ray, I'm over 13,000 titles. I never got rid of any until about a month ago when I started selling off anything I've upgraded, either to a better DVD edition or from DVD to blu-ray. It's surprised me how much has just been adding up over the years and even though I still have a sizable stack I'm trying to get rid of, I've still manage to get around $1,100 from selling some of it at Amazon this month.
Someone who has more than me? I have 6730 in my DVD Profiler, but that counts discs and not titles --- but the "owned" part is out-of-date by about 2 years. I have over 5000 in my DVD Proflier "ordered", but that also includes stuff I bought, but sold -- and again not titles, but discs. I'm just starting to upgrade my VHS collection in a separate DB in DVD Profile, which is pretty small, and only includes Disney stuff and stuff that has never been released to DVD or is OOP and expensive.

I average at least a title a day, sometimes more. It's amazing, that as many titles that I have, I can find some $1 DVD at the pawn shop that looks to be pretty good. I'm constantly upgrading my collection, but I don't get rid of most of my DVDs, even when I upgrade to BD. I like having both formats and don't want to get rid of any special features that might be specific to DVD.

I usually don't forget what I have bought, but I sold much of my collection about 8-10 years ago. I sometimes can't remember if I still have something I bought long ago or not. Recently I found Supergirl LE in storage, a title I thought I had sold off many years ago, and was looking to re-buy.

There used to be a thread where people posted how many discs/titles they had and even 7-8 years ago, some had collections that exceeded 10,000. I looked for it once, but couldn't find it.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 02-02-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-02-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Someone who has more than me? I have 6730 in my DVD Profiler, but that counts discs and not titles --- but the "owned" part is out-of-date by about 2 years. I have over 5000 in my DVD Proflier "ordered", but that also includes stuff I bought, but sold -- and again not titles, but discs. I'm just starting to upgrade my VHS collection in a separate DB in DVD Profile, which is pretty small, and only includes Disney stuff and stuff that has never been released to DVD or is OOP and expensive.

I average at least a title a day, sometimes more. It's amazing, that as many titles that I have, I can find some $1 DVD at the pawn shop that looks to be pretty good. I'm constantly upgrading my collection, but I don't get rid of most of my DVDs, even when I upgrade to BD. I like having both formats and don't want to get rid of any special features that might be specific to DVD.

I usually don't forget what I have bought, but I sold much of my collection about 8-10 years ago. I sometimes can't remember if I still have something I bought long ago or not. Recently I found Supergirl LE in storage, a title I thought I had sold off many years ago, and was looking to re-buy.
I've been trying to get DVD AF updated so I could have at least part of my collection online. I started it years ago and only sporadically update it, so right now I only show 2847 titles. It's fine for DVDs and BR but I still have a bunch of horror, sci-fi, and exploitation stuff that isn't out on anything other than DVD.

At my peak, for at least a couple years, I was picking up 500 movies every 3 months. It was a pretty constant rate. At most, I'd be off by a week but other than that it was like clockwork. That was a couple of years ago and I'm almost positive I'm not at that rate anymore.

I used to keep DVDs I upgraded for the special features, but I have enough actual movies I still need to watch and for the most part, I stopped caring about what's put on a special features anymore. If it was something like a documentary or another movie, I'll keep it but it's mostly promo material or deleted scenes that don't seem to be as great as what they used to be.
Old 02-03-12, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I've been trying to get DVD AF updated so I could have at least part of my collection online. I started it years ago and only sporadically update it, so right now I only show 2847 titles. It's fine for DVDs and BR but I still have a bunch of horror, sci-fi, and exploitation stuff that isn't out on anything other than DVD.
There's a thread on here that talks about different services available to catalog movie collections. If you have many obscure formats, you may want to consider using Excel or Google Spreadsheet to make a list - it may be hard to do with over 1,000 titles but it'll be rewarding in the end for statistic purposes (keeping track of how many titles, etc.)
Old 02-03-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use Movie Collector but I'm extremely lazy on uploading it to my web site, mostly because it takes so long and second because with the major update to the software, I'm not convinced my custom template works anymore.

But I have the iPad and Android apps, so at least I can view it on the go, assuming I update it regularly.
Old 02-03-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I have over 2,500 titles and I keep getting more everyday I will never have a collection that is to big until there are no longer films I want to see. My girlfriend has collection close to mine in numbers and we both own quite a few of the same titles so when we move in together it'll get tricky. But i keep track with a notebook I write in,Dvdaf and Chasingthefrog so I think I'm well organized
Old 02-03-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Nah, mine fits on one shelf.

Granted the shelf is 25+ feet long and I had to reinforce it for weight....

Seriously though that is still below 400 actual dvds (I haven't counted for a while). Which for here is like...nothing.
Old 02-03-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

My collection is just under 600. Obviously alot smaller than people here, but friends always express surprise when they see how many I own. I'm really the only collector among my friends.
Old 02-03-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
...Seriously though that is still below 400 actual dvds (I haven't counted for a while). Which for here is like...nothing.
Wow! I have more than that in my unopened piles (some of them thanks you your gracious sponsorship of the challenges!).
Old 02-03-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Wow! I have more than that in my unopened piles (some of them thanks you your gracious sponsorship of the challenges!).
I'll be honest...my collection would probably be 1/2 that tops if not for the shop--I mean, I love movies but I also have two kids to feed! As it is with our return policy (which is pretty liberal), lots of folks send back perfectly good open discs which we would never put back in stock (can't be sure they are ok of course) and I am more than glad to take those home and enjoy them. (And resisting the urge to just raid the warehouse is HARD--I give in once in a while.)

Plus vendor samples!

So I cannot honestly be considered a real collector like you guys. Whatever the DVD # is I'm only like a 4 on the hardcore scale, tops.

That's how I sell that big ass shelf to my wife anyway.

(I just built that shelf too, I suppose I should do a photo and put it in the collection thread! Looks 10x better than the cardboard boxes I had them in!)
Old 02-03-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
(And resisting the urge to just raid the warehouse is HARD--I give in once in a while.)
*That* would be my downfall. I'd have to do a raid every time a new shipment came in.
Old 02-17-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I have to eat my own words: I just bought The War Wagon tonight, forgetting that I already owned it as part of a John Wayne box set. Eh, I'll just give it to my brother-in-law.
Old 02-21-12, 07:58 AM

Only in a spatial sense. With around 1600, I find I'm constantly having to rearrange and reorganize to make them fit in my shelves. For instance, I pulled out foreign films and put them in their own spot because I ran out of room in the general movies shelving units. I had to add a makeshift shelf on top of my TV DVD shelving units because I ran out of room there too.

So far I haven't been able to bring myself to make the repackaging conversion and just box up the original cases. I like being able to scan the shelves and pick out a title by the spine, or pull one out and check the running time on the back. I've make a couple half-hearted attempts to catalog my collection, but after getting about a third of the way, it stops seeming worth the bother.
Old 02-21-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I don't count movies by themselves and the same movie in a box set as duplicates. I've even got some sets where the disc content is exactly the same as an individual disc I have, but I still can't bring myself to get rid of the individual disc.

Only time I ever unknowingly bought a DVD I already had was a Sabrina cartoon at a dollar store. Each copy cost me a buck. There's been a few times where I've mistakenly NOT bought something I wanted because I thought I already had it, then when I double-checked it turned out I didn't.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.