Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are a lot of dvds being released now with ZERO special features?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why are a lot of dvds being released now with ZERO special features?

Old 01-26-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Why are a lot of dvds being released now with ZERO special features?

Hey guys! Remeber how expensive it was to convert your collection of VHS/Betamax tapes to DVD? And the damn manufactures didnt have the common courtesy to make players backwards compatible. Rydog....you'r complaint holds no water at all, sir.
Old 01-26-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sigh, so much rehashing of what we've discussed before. Two-disc SE DVDs don't sell and are dead. If you want more features, buy the BD, which is often as cheap as or cheaper than the DVD anyway, and even if your TV doesn't show it off, at least you can watch the features in at least as good quality as you'd get from DVD. And you don't need to re-buy your collection.

The new angle is this theory that all Blu-ray buyers only got into BD because they were too late on the DVD front and only like it because it's new technology--we're all young whippersnappers who just got our first jobs and have money to spend. I shouldn't even dignify that statement with a response, but I'll just say that it's the opposite: We're film fans who want the best possible way to watch.

(Just for the record, I bought my DVD player in 1999 and my Blu-ray and HD DVD players in 2007.)

Originally Posted by Rydog23 View Post
I realized I underestimated. It's probably closer to $8,000-$10,000. I have around 600-700 dvd's. All have a very nice picture on an HD Plasma. How can one justify buying that many movies over again especially when Blu-Ray will be replaced by the next great big thing in a year or two? Most people who are "blu-rayers" probably entered the dvd arena late in the game (maybe they were too young to buy their own at first) and started at ground zero with blu-rays, then hate on the dvd lovers like myself. The very least I see myself doing in the next few years is when my dvd players go out is buying a blu-ray player as a replacement and POSSIBLY buying my absolute favorite movies on blu-ray at marked down Ebay prices. But for the majority of my library, the dvd's are just f-i-n-e.
Old 01-26-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TNAJason View Post
Um.... Most people who are buying blu-rays probably entered the dvd arena late in the game and started ground zero with blu-rays?

Are you HIGH?

The majority of the people buying Blu-Rays are not new to the DVD game,I'm sorry to burst your bubble. Most "blu-rayers" either buy the Blu-Rays for improved A/V quality(which there is more than "just 10%" of) or for extra features not available on DVD. I dont think even 10% of "blu-rayers" buy it on Blu-Ray "just because" its on it. And I have been buying DVDs since 2001,and still buy DVDs. I have OVER 1800 DVDs and close to 600 Blu-Rays. And NOBODY said you HAVE to re-buy every DVD you own on Blu-Ray. But you are complaining here about new releases not having special features,so why not JUST buy new releases? Blu-Ray players can be found as cheap as $80 sometimes,and anymore Blu-Rays are close enough to the price of the DVD,that price shouldnt matter either. Its not like when Blu-Ray 1st came to be,and players were over $500,and barebone catalog titles were $25+.

Just sayin....
This.

I purchased my first DVD player in 1997 and my first Blu-Ray player in 2007. In the nearly 5 years since that purchase I have "double-dipped" less than 10 titles - and every time it was because I wanted new/more special features and the discs were less than $10. The arguement in my mind is invalid because like a lot of people are saying it costs less than $100 to go blu. You don't have to repurchase everything on blu-ray that you have on DVD! You can just start going blu onward (and the combo packs are perfect if you only have a blu-ray player in the living room).
Old 01-26-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And then the least I imagine myself doing, is buying my top 10 favorites on Blu-Ray and any movies made after the Blu-Ray/movies shot in Hi-Def era (about 2006 and later?).
Most film is Hi-Def, even that old stuff that predates 2006.
Old 01-26-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Most film is Hi-Def, even that old stuff that predates 2006.
To be clear, film has a *way* higher resolution than even Bluray. You know how Blu is 1080 lines of resolution? When the studios scan films in for restorations they do them at levels approaching 4000 lines, sometimes even 8000. And that's supposedly not even the upper limit.

And I've upgraded very few DVDs-to-Blu's. DVDs that never got 16x9 transfers are an easy buy, and some early DVDs are just very poor quality so I've bought a few double dips. But I have several hundred DVDs that are perfectly fine, and with good upscaling will serve me for many more years to come. And with the prices of Blurays dropping every day, I'm okay with moving over to buying Blu. Why do people have to make such a big deal out of this? If they still work, then use them!
Old 01-26-12, 06:26 PM

And really, there have been some Blu Rays I have seen where the transfers don't necessesarily beat out a dvd. For example, I have the Rocky The Undisputed collection on Blu Ray. The only thing that motivated me to get it was that I didn't own the rocky films, I wanted to, and it was on sale for 40 bucks. The earlier Rocky Films don't look that much better than the DVDs, however I am okay with that. I don't expect the same quality from an older film like that on blu ray that I do from, say, avatar.

Now to say something on topic, I've noticed the decline in bonus features on DVDs in the last couple of years as well, and that has always gotten to me, though I do try and get 2 disc special editions when I can. I'm a nerd when it comes to making of features and stuff.
Old 01-26-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
Seriously! I had to look at the date in the first post because I thought I just read this last week.
Old 01-26-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HollywoodLights View Post
The earlier Rocky Films don't look that much better than the DVDs, however I am okay with that. I don't expect the same quality from an older film like that on blu ray that I do from, say, avatar.
It all depends on the transfer and the print they have access to. Many old films are vastly superior on blu than DVD: African Queen, 2001, Wizard of Oz, Apocalypse Now, North by Northwest.
Old 01-26-12, 08:05 PM

Admittedly I haven't seen any of those on blu ray. I wouldn't mind watching North By Northwest again though, haven't seen that one since media class in high back in 2010
Old 01-26-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by HollywoodLights View Post
Admittedly I haven't seen any of those on blu ray. I wouldn't mind watching North By Northwest again though, haven't seen that one since media class in high back in 2010
We're referring to 2010 as "back in 2010" already? Goddammit I'm getting old.
Old 01-26-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rydog23 is still a fairly new n00b... Did anyone give an official DVDTalk welcome? If not...

Welcome... Enjoy your stay.

I won't pile on but I will add this...

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
You need to read up on film.
^ Yup. Please do.
Old 01-27-12, 07:25 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Hey, yeah, welcome Rydog23, don't let the post crappers ruin your stay here...

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Two-disc SE DVDs don't sell and are dead.
That's a load of crap. I'd buy the Two-Disc SE DVDs if they would still make them (and the prices were reasonable) and there's no way I'm the only one that would. Like I said before, they don't need to make nearly as many as they used to but if they made them people would buy them. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 01-27-12 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-27-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
That's a load of crap. I'd buy the Two-Disc SE DVDs if they would still make them (and the prices were reasonable) and there's no way I'm the only one that would. Like I said before, they don't need to make nearly as many as they used to but if they made them people would buy them. -kd5-
Sure, you would buy it, and I bet others would too. But it only makes sense to create and promote a separate SKU if they're going to hit a certain volume, and they're not going to. If it were simply a matter of "Oh, let's make it available but only make fewer of them," you're asking for MOD. I wouldn't even be surprised if bonus features go to an online model like they tried to do with BD-Live because we're already seeing that stuff on itunes/Amazon video.

Warner used to be the king of separate SKUs, and I remember being surprised they didn't release a two-disc SE DVD for The Hangover. Harry Potter 6 came out in a two-disc SE DVD at the same time, and that was the last one for that franchise.

But as I said before, this debate is way overtired, and I probably should have just quoted the "Aw jeez" pic instead as I thought about doing. We were hashing over the same thing in the recent X-Men First Class - single disc DVD only edition?? thread:

If that's the case then screw Fox. My entire collection is DVD, I have no intention of converting to blu-ray anytime soon if at all. I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of DVD owners vs. blu-ray owners is still very much on the DVD side, and companies are only screwing themselves by pushing, and by cutting features from DVDs.

I'd like to own a 2-disc SE of X-Men: First Class too, but I'm not converting my entire DVD collection to blu-ray just to get it. -kd5-
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
This debate is so tired I thought I had wandered into an old thread until I saw it was for a fairly new movie.

The two-disc special edition DVD is dead. Yes, studios are interested in pushing people to BD, but it's also not worth releasing any more because not enough people--yes, there are exceptions--are willing to spend more for the special features. Either they want the BD or the cheap DVD. Heck, I know I don't watch features the way I used to.
Old 01-27-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I realized I underestimated. It's probably closer to $8,000-$10,000. I have around 600-700 dvd's. All have a very nice picture on an HD Plasma. How can one justify buying that many movies over again especially when Blu-Ray will be replaced by the next great big thing in a year or two? Most people who are "blu-rayers" probably entered the dvd arena late in the game (maybe they were too young to buy their own at first) and started at ground zero with blu-rays, then hate on the dvd lovers like myself. The very least I see myself doing in the next few years is when my dvd players go out is buying a blu-ray player as a replacement and POSSIBLY buying my absolute favorite movies on blu-ray at marked down Ebay prices. But for the majority of my library, the dvd's are just f-i-n-e.
That is actually not that much, comparatively. Don't forget you are on a DVD collectors forum.

I wish I had only spent 10k on DVDs.

But yeah you sound just like me when DVD came out and I had the 800+ VHS collection. But I gave in, and then I did that same shit again with BR but then I started noticing how cheap they had gotten and a new tv goes a long way when it comes to HD. Although I might have been onboard earlier if there hadn't of been that format war.

And to be honest I will also probably go kicking and screaming into the next format too. (God I hope it's not digital).
Old 01-27-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by burnside986 View Post
Hey guys! Remeber how expensive it was to convert your collection of VHS/Betamax tapes to DVD? And the damn manufactures didnt have the common courtesy to make players backwards compatible. Rydog....you'r complaint holds no water at all, sir.
Old 01-27-12, 04:19 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post

Hey, that looks a little like mine...

davidh777, sorry if I sounded a bit confrontational, didn't mean to. And this debate will probably go on and on and on and on because there are still so many people out here in the real world who haven't gone to blu-ray yet and are fighting to hold on to their DVD format. I know I have no real motivation to change, but as I said before: When/if my DVD player ever bites the big one, I'll probably replace it with a blu-ray player even though it probably won't do me much good with my current TV setup. I'm hoping and praying this TV doesn't die, I spent $2000 for this TV several years ago and it's been beautiful ever since. Pioneer makes some killer stuff. But I know it won't last forever (), so when/if it does die, that will be another step towards a blu-ray setup. But probably by then the next format will emerge and everyone will be busting my balls about that one too... -kd5-
Old 01-28-12, 12:27 PM

I suspect it's a vicious cycle. Many people like myself got pissed off buying a new release for $30 only to see it discounted shortly thereafter.

Batman:1966 for $30 on release day then in a discount bin for $5 literally within a month was the breaking point for me.

As such many like me are waiting to buy something only when it's a phenomenal deal causing the studios to put less into releases which, I suspect, causes even more people to want to pay less for the title.

Frankly I would like it and would buy more if they sold DVDs on release day at rental prices ($5) as barebones only DVDs (widescreen but SD, surround sound only with just closed captions) and then saved the bling treatment for titles on BR only at $30-$50 a pop.
Old 01-29-12, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

davidh777, sorry if I sounded a bit confrontational, didn't mean to. And this debate will probably go on and on and on and on because there are still so many people out here in the real world who haven't gone to blu-ray yet and are fighting to hold on to their DVD format. I know I have no real motivation to change, but as I said before: When/if my DVD player ever bites the big one, I'll probably replace it with a blu-ray player even though it probably won't do me much good with my current TV setup. I'm hoping and praying this TV doesn't die, I spent $2000 for this TV several years ago and it's been beautiful ever since. Pioneer makes some killer stuff. But I know it won't last forever (), so when/if it does die, that will be another step towards a blu-ray setup. But probably by then the next format will emerge and everyone will be busting my balls about that one too... -kd5-
We're good, man. I can understand the frustration. While I'm all in on Blu, I like the current system of digital copies and have been avoiding ultraviolet. Studios often want us to do stuff that we don't see any good reason for.
Old 01-31-12, 05:46 PM

I havent posted in a long time - but i wanted to check the forums to see if there is any acknowledgment over the death of physical media DVDs and Blu-Ray - I didn't see it outlined as a topic - but I noticed here some people talking about 'the next format" - Hate to say it, but all indications are there is no 'next format" Blu-Ray has taken the price point of DVDs - BluRay players are cheap enough and are network ready for you to buy into streaming movies - regular old DVD players are built flimsy compared to what they were like 7 years ago.

I went in Best Buy last week -and it looks like they are not going out-of-their-way to restock the DVD/BluRay inventory - but compressing it down. The future is downloading - and subscribing to services. When DVD started, there was a rival DVD format called DIVX ( not the same thing as the web video codec ) DIVX was backed by Universal & Circuit CIty - where you rent a disc for 5 dollars, watch it to your phone line connected player, then throw the the disc away. Once that format way ended, one by one the major studios got on board for DVD - Disney was one of the last to go digital.

Why bring all this up? The studios want to control and gauge what you watch and when you watch it. You have a problem with DVD menus and unskippable previews now? Once we go fully online to watch flicks -there will be no way to stop the parade of 'additional' programming in front of you.

So all the discs out there - DVD or Blu-Ray - doesn't matter - eat them up - take care of them. You may never have an opportunity to 'collect' them ever again. - you'll be able to watch them-they won't disappear - but only thru the streaming service you subscribe to.
Old 01-31-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SCarino21 View Post
I havent posted in a long time - but i wanted to check the forums to see if there is any acknowledgment over the death of physical media DVDs and Blu-Ray - I didn't see it outlined as a topic - but I noticed here some people talking about 'the next format" - Hate to say it, but all indications are there is no 'next format" Blu-Ray has taken the price point of DVDs - BluRay players are cheap enough and are network ready for you to buy into streaming movies - regular old DVD players are built flimsy compared to what they were like 7 years ago.

I went in Best Buy last week -and it looks like they are not going out-of-their-way to restock the DVD/BluRay inventory - but compressing it down. The future is downloading - and subscribing to services. When DVD started, there was a rival DVD format called DIVX ( not the same thing as the web video codec ) DIVX was backed by Universal & Circuit CIty - where you rent a disc for 5 dollars, watch it to your phone line connected player, then throw the the disc away. Once that format way ended, one by one the major studios got on board for DVD - Disney was one of the last to go digital.

Why bring all this up? The studios want to control and gauge what you watch and when you watch it. You have a problem with DVD menus and unskippable previews now? Once we go fully online to watch flicks -there will be no way to stop the parade of 'additional' programming in front of you.

So all the discs out there - DVD or Blu-Ray - doesn't matter - eat them up - take care of them. You may never have an opportunity to 'collect' them ever again. - you'll be able to watch them-they won't disappear - but only thru the streaming service you subscribe to.
This might be a better thread for the future of optical media:

DVD sales off about 50% in past 3 years, BR %'s keep going up.
Old 02-01-12, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by SCarino21 View Post

I suspect something will continue even if it's a MOD type service for non-major titles and BR only for major titles.

There are people out there who just won't buy their product if it's only on a service package. Look at the percentage of people who don't have cable - a number that is increasing with digital OTA TV.

I know, for myself, I would consume a lot less video if it was only on a pay, subscription model. Plus giving an iTunes gift card is a lot more impersonal than a real gift of a hard copy movie you know they'll love.

I'm sure that studios like the control online only content would give them (esp Disney) but they'll have to give a lot up for that.

But hey...if they want to marginalize themselves to being on par with XM/Sirrus Satellite radio I guess that's their show.

Last edited by wz42; 02-01-12 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-01-12, 11:42 AM

1. I used to really like special features. I don't know why, but now they seem kinda stupid in most instances. Unless it's a movie I really, really love and watch the hell out of (The Big Red One and anything Transformers-related), the special features aren't that great.

2. I've only gotten two movies on BD that I already had on DVD, and they were Full Metal Jacket (and I only got that one because the DVD was full screen only,as per Kubrick's instructions, while the BD was the original widescreen, as per the theatrical release) and Apocalypse Now (because the BD is the correct aspect ratio and includes the documentary Hearts of Darkness). I MIGHT consider getting certain (i.e. really epic/Cinerama) films on BD that I already have on DVD if I have the money and the desire (the big one would be Saving Private Ryan).

3. A lot of films are only available in one version on Blu-ray (such as Pearl Harbor - the R-rated director's cut is only available on DVD). This is kinda sad.